Skip to content

Change font size

Laptop Use and Security in Your RV?

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Laptop Use and Security in Your RV?

Unread postby JQSpree on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:46 pm

Just getting ready to join the electronic world with a laptop to take with us as our trips get longer so we can communicate via Skype with kids and hopefully pay bills electronically. Just wondered if anyone does this and is it secure? Are campgrounds with WIFI secure? Do they have passwords you have to get to use? Are there other places that you use? One security expert was advising me that there are those around WI-FI spots who put out their own phoney networks and can hook on to your personal info? Don't need this!!!

As you can tell I am not a big network person so would rather be careful than sorry.

I would have posted under computers but not sure anyone ever looks there since it has been a year since a new post was there?
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Re: Laptop Use and Security in Your RV?

Unread postby catmom on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:08 pm

Yes, we used our laptop with the CG Wifi extensively last year on our trip to Texas. The places we were, there weren't many networks to pick from, usually 1-4, each of which has a name - probably at more popular public spots (McDs, Starbucks etc.) there are many networks, some of which could belong to hackers. We do have good virus protection & firewalls and keep them updated, which probably helps. Some CGs have passwords to use their Wifi, others don't. So far we haven't had any problems with them.
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:56 am

Libraries. Some have wifi. Others, it's just a matter of using their computers as a member of the public.

You've got your passwords. I've been doing my banking this way for years longer than I've had a laptop.

8-)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby cwit on Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:03 am

All our bills are paid on the computor. Wi-FI seems to be no problem in most campsites.
cwit

Unread postby JQSpree on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:47 pm

So for you that are using your laptops for personal data like paying bills, there is not a problem with that info being stolen on line from an unsecure site? When you say security, are you talking about what is installed on your own computer such as MacAfee firewall and virus protection?
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby catmom on Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:49 pm

When you say security, are you talking about what is installed on your own computer such as MacAfee firewall and virus protection?
Yes. Make sure to turn off file sharing on your own computer as well.
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby pwall on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:46 pm

And when paying bills on-line, the banks will use a secure connection in IE (or whatever browser you are using). Look for the 'lock' icon on the bottom of your browser window.
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby skipnchar on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:48 pm

Your security when using WIFI or any other type of wireless connection is dependent on the site you're visiting and the Internet Security software you're running plus your personal settings concerning file sharing. We don't actually PAY bills on line but we set them UP to be paid on line and have been doing so for about 6 years without a problem. Don't sign on to a network that you don't recognize as a little extra safeguard but MAINLY it's your responsibility to protect yourself.
Good luck / skip
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to General RV Discussion