Skip to content

Change font size

Forum is Quiet

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Forum is Quiet

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:53 am

Not alot of action on this forum lately. I hope it's cause your all out there, cleaning and getting the rigs setup for the first day of SPRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yee haw.

I know mine needs a good wash. Both my trucks were in this last week for transmission problems, yuck but everything is running fine now.

And I don't want to hear about you guys way down south that have been camping already for the last month or so, that's just not fair, try to have a little consideration for the guys up north here eh??????????????
There's a method to the madness, disturb the method and the madness begins.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Forum is Quiet

Unread postby mikhen on Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:02 am

I also hope it's because everyone is taking care of their cabin fever. I know I can't wait to go. Been busy cleaning up the homefront lately. Hopefully next weekend if mother nature agrees to it.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:28 am

Lots of snow still on the ground. More coming Monday.

No, we've had so much yo-yo that was is there doesn't look like ice, but could well be for all the speed of melting. We had 48 hours of 6'C (into 40s) earlier in the week and still little melted. Like I say, might as well be ice.

Coast drive shows this with all that ice right after the river flows under a bridge:

& upstream a wee tad:

Plus a zoom out further where there is much more ice:

Where there is ice like that melt will take awhile.

Still I saw geese this week and am out in the sun every day, ahem, starting the yard work!

8-)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:25 pm

I hear ya there, LK. Our snow was disappearing quite nicely until last night. Then we got another 6 inches. At least the temperature warmed up enough that my snowblower started. Its a rather useless machine that won't start when I really need it the most. All that and its not even April yet, which traditionally can be the snowiest month in these parts. At least the temps don't get down into the -30's. Usually. It'll be at least another month and a half before we start the '09 camping season.
There is no such thing as a bad day camping.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby pwall on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:32 pm

The weather has been fairly nice in Ottawa this past week or so....most of the snow is now gone. :)
However, I'm sure we're in for one more snow fall before we can say Spring is here.
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Zinger on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:10 pm

our snow is gone but still in the 30s wed thru the weeknd in the 50s I hope looking forward to a backyard camp in the coming weeks..
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby shum on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:27 pm

The white stuff is pretty much gone out here in Burlington. We where up at MacGregor Provincial Park over March Break and there is still quite a bit of snow in the bush and out on the lake yet. Won't be long :D
2007 F-150 XLT 4X4 5.4L CC 3:73LS
2007 KZ Outdooorsman 2505 QSS-F
shum / SwingingBonnie DW / DS 95 / DD 99
Our Camping Photos

"don't panic" Douglas Adams
Ontario Provincial Parks Advocate
shum

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:02 pm

We're going camping next week for 5 nights. trying to get everything ready
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby thebadliz on Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:19 am

I don't think that hubby and I will be getting out until early May. And then not until 4th of July weekend due to a cruise to Alaska, then I am working in Milwaukee for a week in June. After that I hope to make up for lost time.....
Liz - the Bad Liz
http://www.thebadliz.blogspot.com
"If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my dogs."
thebadliz

Unread postby Little Kopit on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:33 am

When you say cruise, do you mean ferry going up the BC coast? Will you get any where near Anchorage?

& have you been following the Redoubt Volcano? http://www.avo.alaska.edu/

I have AK ambitions too, but all by land and all Canadian until AK.

:mrgreen:

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby thebadliz on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:41 am

Sadly, we won't be that far north. It's a Sawyer Glacier cruise:

Depart Seattle, WA
    Day at Sea - Beading
    Juneau, Alaska
    Skagway, Alaska
    Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska
    Day at Sea - Beading
    Victoria, British Columbia
    Seattle, Washington

It's more of an introduction to Alaska and I am really looking forward to it.:mrgreen:
Liz - the Bad Liz
"If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my dogs."
thebadliz

Unread postby jemek on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:26 pm

We did this cruise in Sept (well almost we had Prince Rupert instead of Victoria)

If I can make one suggestion...as far as excursions..you have to do the White Pass and Yukon route Train out of Skagway.

thebadliz wrote:Sadly, we won't be that far north. It's a Sawyer Glacier cruise:

Depart Seattle, WA
    Day at Sea - Beading
    Juneau, Alaska
    Skagway, Alaska
    Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska
    Day at Sea - Beading
    Victoria, British Columbia
    Seattle, Washington

It's more of an introduction to Alaska and I am really looking forward to it.:mrgreen:
2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 2500
2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail 31ft QBH
jemek

Unread postby catmom on Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:54 pm

Went out & closed the roof vents on the trailer today - 6" of snow forecast by Sunday night! :evil: After a mostly-nice March, that smarts.

For Juneau, I suggest visiting the Mendenhall Glacier. If your budget will swing it, do the 'copter trip that lands on the glacier. Closest you're likely ever to get to one! :)
catmom

Unread postby JQSpree on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:48 pm

Well, its nice to see someone on the boards. The Alaska cruise sounds good. We did two week back to back cruise from Vancouver to Alaska and return in July 2007 for our 3rd and 4th trips there, just before buying our tt. Sure would love to take the rig up there for a month or two.

We will settle for a three night trip next weekend to Collins Lake, good fishing lake about 75 miles away and in the foothills. Ready to go. Sorry some of you have to wait for the snow to melt, but just think how green it makes everything later in the year.
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby catmom on Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:05 pm

The only trouble is, green isn't anything special around here. It means more to you western folks, who are more used to brown summers. :)

No going anywhere here for a while. Woke up to 10" of wet heavy snow - guess the Denver blizzard had some punch left in it. Waiting for a friend to plow us out; now that the road has been plowed, we have about 3' of snow & slush combined at the end of the driveway, just too much for old folks to shovel...Image
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby pwall on Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:00 pm

All the snow up here in Ottawa is just about all gone...and with the week of rain we're supposed to get, there won't be much left.
However, still too early to take the trailer out for it's spring cleaning....although it's real tempting.
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby thebadliz on Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:12 am

jemek wrote:If I can make one suggestion...as far as excursions..you have to do the White Pass and Yukon route Train out of Skagway.

Thanks for the heads up. We are starting to look at the excursions more closely. I'll tag that one.....
Liz - the Bad Liz
thebadliz

Unread postby thebadliz on Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:17 am

catmom wrote:No going anywhere here for a while. Woke up to 10" of wet heavy snow - guess the Denver blizzard had some punch left in it.

Wow, we got off easy! Woke to rain Sunday morning, on and off all day in Metro Detroit. Got a dusting of snow yesterday early evening, but barely enough to think about. Thank goodness for the prevailing winds keeping in north or south of us....
Liz - the Bad Liz
thebadliz

Unread postby Limey on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:47 am

catmom wrote:- guess the Denver blizzard had some punch left in it.

There sure was plenty of punch here in the Denver area! Took me 3 1/4 hours to get home on Thursday ( a drive which normally takes 45 minutes!) and our office was closed on Friday due to the weather. I spent 4 hours on Friday just cleaing snow so that we could get out. Saturday and Sunday were nice, but now it is snowing again and we have already had 3" - another slow drive to work - 1 1/2 hours.

Roll on May, so that I can get camping again!!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Little Kopit on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:27 pm

Limey wrote:
catmom wrote:- guess the Denver blizzard had some punch left in it.

There sure was plenty of punch here in the Denver area! Took me 3 1/4 hours to get home on Thursday ( a drive which normally takes 45 minutes!) and our office was closed on Friday due to the weather. I spent 4 hours on Friday just cleaing snow so that we could get out. Saturday and Sunday were nice, but now it is snowing again and we have already had 3" - another slow drive to work - 1 1/2 hours.

Roll on May, so that I can get camping again!!

Nova Scotian Old Timer Olde Saying: April snow is poor man's manure.

:P

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Ozimo on Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:42 pm

Little Kopit wrote: April snow is poor man's manure.

Ah, the smell of money!

We arrived in Guatemala in mid-March from our walkabout in Oz to see Payaca blowing ash and Fuego streaming lava. Nothing to get excited about, it's just un-nerving for some of the crew. Moved Wolf's sailboat (nee Alice's) from Panama and Big AL's arrival to take possession. Logger was in attendence getting ready for the bean harvest on his mountainside retreat, just about the same time as the eruption. I left last week back to Wyoming - I noted in my last section of travel - the seaports and airports weren't that busy, compared to this time last year. It seems my Dad's place can't stay sold too long. This is the 3rd time in two years I've taken it back - sign of the times I guess. Logger's family seemed to want to take a shot at running it, but I have my doubts - as they've never run 255 hectare farm before which is half in alfalfa and half in sugar beets.
Ozimo

Unread postby thebadliz on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:08 am

Spring arrived in Michigan over the weekend. Hubby and I took the cover off the trailer and folded it for the summer ;)

Then, after sweeping out the dead flies (never realized that I locked that many in the trailer last November when we put it do bed), we checked out the half of the dinette that is going to be removed when hubby's new chair arrives - that is going to be easy.. It's two adults and three dogs when we camp - and with a total weight of the dogs at about 31 pounds, we decided that we don't need the full dinette as the husband has never been completing comfortable sitting there.

He found a chair similar to thishttp://www.rvsurplussalvage.com/catalog/display.php?product_id=4792 but a lot cheaper that we are going to put in. In the evenings, when the bugs come out, he likes to watch TV while I work on my beading (that's beading, not beating). It's going to be much more comfortable than trying to recline in half of the dinette.

So, maybe we are going to be able to sneak a short weekend the begining of May - after my dad's memorial service this weekend and before my anniversary in early May. By then, the chair should arrive, the mod should be completed and I will be ready for a relaxing weekend with my little trailer, my little dogs and my darling hubby. ;)
Liz - the Bad Liz
thebadliz

Unread postby catmom on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:13 pm

Love the "poor man's manure" saying! :)

3 weeks after our snowbound picture was taken, we spent yesterday and today unwinterizing, sanitizing and filling the water system - hoping to get out next week, locally, for our spring shakedown! It was almost 80 today, but is forecast to be in the 40s again by Monday... Figures.
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby JQSpree on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:40 pm

I think it has gone from being quiet and slow to out to lunch. Can't believe this site is so quiet. That must mean the weather is getting better in more places. We have had our first 90's this week in Sacramento area. Getting the yard, garden, drip system, etc worked into shape and planted.

Also planning Yellowstone trip, and figuring out how to get ready to take a new laptop rving with us. But at least I am checking in and looking for new msgs!!!
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby thebadliz on Tue May 26, 2009 4:26 pm

Back from Alaska - that is awesome country up there. Just loved it.....Based on advice, I did the White Pass train, and we also went to Mendenhall - where a bear posed for us....For this city girl, it was just awesome!!

Pictures here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ethomps1/2009AlaskaCruise?feat=directlink and here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ethomps1/20 ... directlink

Second link is a tongue and cheek trip that I made for a friend.
Liz - the Bad Liz
thebadliz

Unread postby Little Kopit on Tue May 26, 2009 5:44 pm

How's about a separate thread?

Cruising around Alaska?

& put pics in thread to show us why you chose cruise vs. having your own wheels up there.

Did you get within remote viewing distance of the Redoubt Volcano: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/04/alaskas_mount_redoubt.html

8-)

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby thebadliz on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:42 pm

Little Kopit wrote:....put pics in thread to show us why you chose cruise vs. having your own wheels up there....

Because hubby and I are still working and can't take more time off to drive - although I would do that in a flash!! :lol:

No, we didn't get near that volcano. The closest that I have gotten to an active one was in Hawai'i when it started the week after I left Hawai'i!
Liz - the Bad Liz
thebadliz

Return to General RV Discussion