Skip to content

Change font size

Wagonmaster

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Wagonmaster

Unread postby leadm55 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:41 am

I have been following the wagonmaster story of his journey. There was a post of this article but I was unable to find it. This man has had a terrible accident. Here is the link: http://www.meridianstar.com It is the first story in the middle of the page. God bless him and hopefully he will be ok.
Les & Diane
Conway Springs, Ks
2009 Dodge 3500 6.7 diesel 1 ton SRW 4x4
1999 Spinnaker 32' 2 slide
leadm55

Re: Wagonmaster

Unread postby Limey on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:19 pm

What a tragedy - I was on his website only a week or so ago - http://www.wagonteamster.com/index.html. Hope the truck driver gets what coming to him - cresting a hill two abreast is downright lunacy. :cry:

My prayers go out to him. As a horse owner I also feel sad for the horses - he was so proud of them on his web site.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:41 pm

That's actually a 4-lane divided highway, so it's not unexpected that they'd be side by side as they were just passing as any truck normally would, not trying to pass on a 2-lane highway.

A very unfortunate situation, indeed...but I hate to have to say it....preventable if proper safety precautions had been taken - there really should have been a spot-car a half mile or so behind to alert faster traffic of what was ahead and protect the lane in situations like this where there was no shoulder to drive on.

It sounds like he had just crested the hill himself and then when the trucks crested behind him (probably going at least 40-50MPH faster) and there was just nowhere for the trucks to go.

I've been in that experience once before cresting a hill and suddenly finding an accident or obstacle at the crest and tractor trailers neither stop fast, nor make emergency maneuvers well. It's a real oh-shit situation.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Limey on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:44 pm

It would seem that the newspaper report is innacurate - this is from an eyewitness who helped Bob after the accident:

Despite protests to the contrary from those who read articles in distant newspapers about the accident, and wish to argue facts of which they do not have personal knowledge, I must say that you can't believe everything that you read in the papers. Let me set Katie and anyone else straight and state for the record. The Macon Beacon reporter is correct as to his description of the locale. There was no hillcrest to limit visibility. There were no ''two trucks running side by side''. I saw the accident occur. I drive a gasoline tanker for a company based in Columbus, MS. At approximately 11:30 cst this morning, I was southbound on US 45, 6.7 miles N. of Scooba, MS, when I came upon Bob. I recognized his rig immediately as I''d seen it this past weekend North of Columbus. I changed lanes left to pass the vehicle. As I checked the right mirror, I observed a T.K. Stanley vehicle changing lanes left to pass Bob also. There was a second T.K. Stanley vehicle following close behind the first. This second vehicle did not change lanes. There occured the impact which blocked the highway for approximately an hour and a half. Two of the beautiful horses were dead at the scene. I cared for Bob until the arrival of emergency medical services. Bob asked about the condition of his horses and of Clementine. I found Clementine and brought her to him until he was being prepared for transport from the scene to Meridian. There was no one at the scene who appeared to be willing to take custody of Clementine. So, I sent my information with Bob to tell him when he recovers where Clementine is. I transported Clementine to Columbus and gave her to my wife who promptly took her to the vet. As of this writing, Clementine is staying at the vet's overnight for observation. The vet did say that for a dog of her advanced years (a woman never discusses her age) she is doing remarkably well given what she's just been through. She was ambulatory and her kidney/bladder funtions appear normal. If things progress as well in the morning, she'll get a bath and much T.L.C. until she can be reunited with Bob.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby mikhen on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Hope he recovers well and is reunited soon with Clementine. He went through our area a while back and I've been somewhat following his journey.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby catmom on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:05 pm

This is heartbreaking.
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:08 pm

He seems like the sort of guy who will rebuild and continue his dream. Lets hope that's the case and he gets to pickup where he left off.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jp rver on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:48 pm

Very sad indeed. I was on his site about a month ago after reading about his journey on rv.net. Terrible that he lost 2 horses. :cry:
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby wintek on Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:53 pm

It's a very sad moment indeed. I have been following his trip the blog and enjoyed the adventures. Several times while on his site I had personal concern for his safty in an incident such as this. It chokes me up to think about it.
wintek
Established Member
Established Member

Return to General RV Discussion