Skip to content

Change font size

Tme off

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Tme off

Unread postby Terry on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:43 pm

Just to lighten the mood. I work for a GM supplier. And yes. Because you folks are not buying enough GM cars that I make parts for. I will have some time off. Lucky in that I have so far survived the deep cuts already made. I will be off the last week this month, and the last week in April. OK that's out of the way. YOU are ALL invited to a CAMPER WAXING PARTY!!! Fun for ali :lol: Wax will be supplied, as well as buffing rags. :D

Where? My backyard.
When? Last week of Feb, and last week of April.
Dress? Yes :D
Camping near by. Call Cross Country CG, and Wildlife Woods to make reservations.

I EXPECT you to be there. Our TT ain't huge so it shouldn't take long.
RSVP required. For planning purposes.
Terry
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Re: Tme off

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:29 pm

Sorry to hear about your unplanned holiday. I'm doing my best to keep GM in business with a Silverado 1500, an Astro van and a Saturn sitting in the driveway or in the garage. I'm just trying to help out. I hear that GM's going to get hit hard with more layoffs. Its extremely unfortunate for those that will be out of a job. I sincerely hope that it's not going to get any worse.
On the other hand, it must be nice to live somewhere that gets warm enough in February to be out in the backyard waxing a trailer. :D Mine's still covered in snow.
There is no such thing as a bad day camping.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Terry on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:53 pm

Thanks. I really need for y'all to buy the smaller GMs. The lamda theada platforms. Those are the ones we do.

Any way. It seems no one on this forum wants to come to the party. So I ask the guys over on the SEPUC Forum. All they want is Sundrops. So I'm going to stock up. Will be crankin up the buffer.
See Ya!. If you need me. I'll call ya.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby pwall on Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:40 pm

I hear ya.....I work in a hi-tech company that's having some troubles right now.

We have 3 GM vechicles in our driveway, and personally, wouldn't think of driving anything else.
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby BAJA X on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:41 pm

I dont buy GM but I do know how your feeling, our plant closed the doors on 1-31-09 after 29 years there one year short of retireing there this happened. I wish it was warm here then I could do some waxing and maybe some low cost mods to our camper.......
2008 F-350 V-10 Crew Cab Lariat S/Duty 4X4
2008 XT30SB CrossRoads CrossForce
2004 DS650 Baja x
2004 Outlander 400XT
1989 H.D. Springer Softail
BAJA X

Unread postby Little Kopit on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:30 pm

Thanks to the invite to your party.

I can walk to my camper, but I couldn't back to it yet. & this is my first winter here, so I'm not sure, but I think I can't do that until it's official spring.

& I'm retired.

8-)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Terry on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:40 pm

Well the time frame just got longer. after tonite. I am off untill at least May 4th. And, IF no one starts buying vehicles . It could turn into a perminate situation. We are so dependant on GM, we fall, and rise with them.
So there is time, and it WILL be warm here. So all you frozen northerners, come on down into the warm. Get a Campsite on Lake Norman. We'll fire up the grill, and waxem all.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:34 pm

Add me to the club of guys who's going to be out of a job come May because of all this. Our company just closed another local terminal and amalgamated their work with ours (effective 2 weeks from today) which could (possibly) mean some extra work in the meantime, but could also mean less depending on how the dovetailing of seniority works out, and how much work they keep or give away as a result of this change.

Add to that the closure of the GM Truck plant come May, that'll be the nail in my coffin. Our terminal used to have about 20 jobs associated with the truck plant, that's whittled down to 4 now, and 0 once it's gone for good. 3 years ago I had about 25 people below me on the seniority list, and effective June the best as I can figure at this point I'll be two below the layoff cut.

<sigh>
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:37 pm

Sorry to hear that PP. My company did major downsizing this past year. My son was caught up in it but I managed to survive. I trust things don't reach that point for you.
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:05 pm

With any luck it won't be the end of the road there for me as there are two retirements expected in the next 10 months and they've cut themselves pretty thin with employees to begin with...so it wouldn't take much of an upturn in business to force them to recall.

I have recall rights for two years after my last day of work, and even if I am off I should have no problems getting a days work here and there because I'll be close enough to the cut. This could potentially cause my recall date to stragle on for many years as every day I work (even if it's 6 months from now) resets that date.

Unemployment Insurance lasts 45 weeks or something. Hopefully that's long enough to get me back in the door. ;)
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby GoinKZ on Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:45 am

PrivatePilot wrote:Unemployment Insurance lasts 45 weeks or something. Hopefully that's long enough to get me back in the door. ;)

At 60% of your normal wage, trust me it hurts right quick.

(I work in the car business so I feel qualified enough to make some comments here.) Of all the companies GM is freaking out right now trying to make their viabilty plan look as good as they can, so they are in hack & slash mode, Both US & Canadian governments have agreed to get the banks & lending comapanies to turrn the taps back on and get the car loans flowing again, I'm all ready seeiing this, you have to realize that OVENIGHT the banks just started saying NO, that instanatly changed the car market. Instatntly. This will right itself, you can not pen up consumer demand, it's impossible. Once we all get some tax return money in our pockets and our repective Governments stimulous plans kick in it will change. It will be much better by the fall of this year for those of us with incomes tied to the Auto Industry.

BTW-21 years of service in the retail (Dealership) parts & service industry for Chrysler. This will mark the second time I've worked for Chrysler when they needed "assistance". :(

It will get better, leaner for sure, but better also.
1999 Ford Expedition Triton 5.4L/ 2008 KZ-Sportsmen S272LE
Equal-i-zer, Prodigy,McKesh Mirrors & Power by Champion
DW-MrsGoinKZ
DS-Wildboy
DFK-Tohona
MacGregor Point PP "Winter Warrior" Site#52
Our Pictures
http://www.4scf.com
GoinKZ

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:07 pm

I don't follow even 1% of the threads on the economy or the automotive situation, but for years up here the manufacturers financed automotive purchases. In 1988 when I bought a new truck, the financing was through my bank. In 2000 it was through the manufacturer* and a bank loans officer told me: "We can't begin to compete".

In July, 2009 I had to replace the 2000 truck. & started by looking at used. The Canadian $ had been at par with the US$ for over a year at that time. Many had been complaining for many many months about paying so much more than US prices for big ticket items. & maybe the market had slowed down at that time too. My new 2009 truck, different manufacturer, cost me in starting $ about $6,000 CA$ less than the 2000 model. & again the financing was through the manufacturer.

Also, it was pretty clear in July, 2009, prices of used trucks were a depreciation percentage of original price, thus their price came from the exchange rate when they were bought.

But what I see is that banks in Canada were asked to get back into an area of lending they hadn't been into for a long time.

Still, FWIW, my camper is through my bank.

*other fact, the Canadan $ had dropped a lot, a very lot on exchange and the cost of all vehicles in the US had gone up also. I paid well over 2x the 1988 price in 2000.

8-)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Terry on Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:11 pm

GoinKZ wrote:
PrivatePilot wrote:Unemployment Insurance lasts 45 weeks or something. Hopefully that's long enough to get me back in the door. ;)

At 60% of your normal wage, trust me it hurts right quick.

(I work in the car business so I feel qualified enough to make some comments here.) Of all the companies GM is freaking out right now trying to make their viabilty plan look as good as they can, so they are in hack & slash mode, Both US & Canadian governments have agreed to get the banks & lending comapanies to turrn the taps back on and get the car loans flowing again, I'm all ready seeiing this, you have to realize that OVENIGHT the banks just started saying NO, that instanatly changed the car market. Instatntly. This will right itself, you can not pen up consumer demand, it's impossible. Once we all get some tax return money in our pockets and our repective Governments stimulous plans kick in it will change. It will be much better by the fall of this year for those of us with incomes tied to the Auto Industry.

BTW-21 years of service in the retail (Dealership) parts & service industry for Chrysler. This will mark the second time I've worked for Chrysler when they needed "assistance". :(

It will get better, leaner for sure, but better also.

Trying to be careful, and not get too political. But, The so called stimulus package in the US. contains NO tax rebate for US tax payers. Only a tiny tax cut. About $13.00 per week. Sorry, but $13.00 per week ain't gonna buy many cars, or stimulate much of anything else. Ain't gonna do nothing, If you aren't working. So I don't share any hope for the stimulus / spending bill, and little hope for the auto market. Especially, since the Gov, just hands money to the banks with no strings attached. Which they then spend on fancy trips. But makes the auto guys beg for theirs. and ties it in knots. The only part that may help, is the part that allows the Gov to replace their Gov issue vehicles. As long as they use US auto manufacturers only.

Of coures it could produce a few jobs. Cause those millions of dollars going to save a rat, will cause people to hire people to then kill the rats it saves. :roll:

But awy way. The party is still on. I will supply Sundrops, and wax.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby graywolf67 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:37 pm

Our company did alot of bloodletting at the end of last year and the beginning of this year 40% of the work force, alot of our problems was very bad management and they finally fired one of the top VP's but the problems him and his buddues caused was very bad so we are clawing our way back, I am in the oil patch so it doesn't help if the oil prices slip below $20.00,( but I do like 1.75 for diesel) we must all just hang in there in in no way trust the governmnts to fix anything they cannot.
2008 Ford F250 6.4PSD Zinger ZT26RL
graywolf67
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Terry on Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:59 pm

Yeah. My personal opinion. Untill those with jobs, start buying again. those with out jobs. will remain with out jobs. And not just in the auto industry. DW is in furniture. They aren't selling anything either. Went to the Cracker Barrell for breakfast Fri. The restaurant was virtually empty. Waitress, told us. It has never been so slow. So it's everywhere.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby GoinKZ on Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:24 pm

Terry wrote:Yeah. My personal opinion. Untill those with jobs, start buying again. those with out jobs. will remain with out jobs. .

I'm trying to do my part, in the last 6 months I've probably spent 10G's on upgrade this and replacement that....and plan on spending AT LEAST that much more in the next 6 months. For those of us with jobs & good credit the time is right for spending.
I was unaware that the US Budget contained such small Tax cuts, OTOH, a few months ago wasn't there "stimulus checks" floating around?? Might explain why your tax cuts aren't as large as ours, anyway I'll stand by my statement that you can't pen up consumer demand and that it WILL get better by late fall.
Think positive people!!!!!
GoinKZ

Unread postby Terry on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:20 pm

GoinKZ wrote:
Terry wrote:Yeah. My personal opinion. Untill those with jobs, start buying again. those with out jobs. will remain with out jobs. .

I'm trying to do my part, in the last 6 months I've probably spent 10G's on upgrade this and replacement that....and plan on spending AT LEAST that much more in the next 6 months. For those of us with jobs & good credit the time is right for spending.
I was unaware that the US Budget contained such small Tax cuts, OTOH, a few months ago wasn't there "stimulus checks" floating around?? Might explain why your tax cuts aren't as large as ours, anyway I'll stand by my statement that you can't pen up consumer demand and that it WILL get better by late fall.
Think positive people!!!!!

Yes there was talk, and promises of a stimulus check. But that was during the campain. Once elected. Many, MANY, promises were just forgotton about. After all. If they don't come thru now. They can promise it again next time.

Unless you are talking about the stimulus checks last spring. Many, but not every one got those.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby GoinKZ on Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:43 am

Terry wrote:Unless you are talking about the stimulus checks last spring. Many, but not every one got those.

Yes, I thought every resident of the US of A over XX Years of age got some fresh :?:

Of course I didn't expect that to fix the stumbling economy in a single go around.... :roll:

I've finaly got all my tax info for 2008, so I'll be filing my return this weekend, my siuation is about the same is it was last year so I'll compare with 2007 to see how the tax breaks by my Government affect me. Here's hoping ;)
GoinKZ

Return to General RV Discussion