Skip to content

Change font size

How much do you tie yourself down w/reservations?

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

How much do you tie yourself down w/reservations?

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:05 am

We're still planning for our 7000 mile trip out west this summer and am at the point now where we are starting to make reservations for what we consider to be the essential stops - mainly our destination in Vancouver (we absolutely need a place to park the trailer for the 7-10 days we'll be there), and of course Yellowstone...since if we don't reserve there, we probably aren't going to be able to stay there.

We're also probably going to make a few reservations at various campgrounds in the rockies since I figure they're probably going to be popular and difficult to get into without planning ahead.

However, for the majority of the rest of the trip we're not "tying ourselves down" with many reservations since that could end up giving as a schedule that we don't want to (or cannot, for some reason) keep. We have "goals" for destinations on a day by day basis, but I figure that it's pretty safe to us to just roll on without reservations at many places (especially on weekdays) and be safe for the most part.

With some stops simply being overnighters (short stay) we figure we'll do the WalMart routine at least a few times voluntarily, and if we get caught in a pinch, involuntarily.

Thoughts on this plan?
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How much do you tie yourself down w/reservations?

Unread postby Rough2000 on Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:58 pm

I think your plan makes sense. If the Walmart routine is OK some nights, and you don't (or the family doesn't) have their hearts set on 4W RV parks every night you should be OK. If you have to empty the gray water tank everyday because of showers, etc, I would give it some other thought. I would think if you keep a good RV directory close at hand, and maybe start calling ahead early in the day for that evening may help. As the say..."If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up way too much room" :lol:
2006 Dodge Mega Cab w/ Cummins
"Real Trucks don't have Spark Plugs"
2009 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
What you said, what you thought you said and what I thought you said are THREE different things.
Rough2000
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Justardnck on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:07 pm

PrivatePilot wrote:We're still planning for our 7000 mile trip out west this summer and am at the point now where we are starting to make reservations for what we consider to be the essential stops - mainly our destination in Vancouver (we absolutely need a place to park the trailer for the 7-10 days we'll be there), and of course Yellowstone...since if we don't reserve there, we probably aren't going to be able to stay there.

We're also probably going to make a few reservations at various campgrounds in the rockies since I figure they're probably going to be popular and difficult to get into without planning ahead.

However, for the majority of the rest of the trip we're not "tying ourselves down" with many reservations since that could end up giving as a schedule that we don't want to (or cannot, for some reason) keep. We have "goals" for destinations on a day by day basis, but I figure that it's pretty safe to us to just roll on without reservations at many places (especially on weekdays) and be safe for the most part.

With some stops simply being overnighters (short stay) we figure we'll do the WalMart routine at least a few times voluntarily, and if we get caught in a pinch, involuntarily.

Thoughts on this plan?

I wish we had the time to do some heavy travel like that, I envy you guys that can do it
2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD, extended cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.0L, 4:10 gears
2003 Forest River Flagstaff 25LB
No WD hitch or sway control. Primus brake controller
Justardnck
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:16 pm

Other than Holidays we almost never make reservations when we travel. It's always a good idea though to take into account just WHERE you're going and when you'll be there. Yellowstone is a very busy place but we've always managed to get in by planning on arriving early in the day. Now with the larger trailer there are a lot fewer spaces that will accomadate us so reservations would be a lot more important in that TYPE of place. One strategy we often use is to find a "first come" type of place on Thursday and sit out the weekend there. It's one of the luxuries of being retired and having basically no schedule to keep. Another strategy you might consider is to call ahead for reservations but do it from the road a couple of days ahead of time. At least that gives you SOME advantage over just popping in and taking pot luck. One thing to remember though, even with our admittedly poor planning practices we've been SOMEWHERE almost every night :roll:
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Frank Henn on Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:06 pm

Other than holidays and even then depending on the event we make no reservation, unless we are going to join up with another party. We carry three guide with us, and will start looking for a site around three thirty to four in the afternoon. One of the best guides I have found for the Interstates is the next exit. We find it in that guide and cross reference it in the other two. If time is close I will phone ahead to check on vacancy
Frank and Janet Henn
with Hoover the Wonder Dog Now introducing Rainbow the wonder puppy
2008 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL
pushing a 2005 Dodge 2500 CDT
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Retired Phone Man on Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:34 am

Last Sept we made a 6 week trip to Colorado and Utah. Only made 2 reservations before we left home since they were State Parks and we planned to stay in the area a week and they are very popular places. They were Mueller Sp near Colorado Springs, Co and Dead Horse SP near Moab, Ut. The rest of the time we would call ahead and check if we knew about where we wanted to stay. Most places were not full except we were at Mesa Verde RV Resort near Cortez, Co. We had called ahead about 3 days before since we wanted to stay 5 or 6 days. They had room but the 2nd night we were there they got booked up and had to turn people away. Of course that time of year was slower then the summer and we had no problems.
Retired Phone Man

Return to General RV Discussion