Skip to content

Change font size

Motorcycle in bed

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Motorcycle in bed

Unread postby Terry on Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:52 pm

DW and I want a bike to cruise the BRP with, when we camp. It has to fit in the truck bed, with the tailgate shut.
Would you believe the shortest Touring/Cruiser bike i can find. Is a Harley Davidson Sportster? What luck for me. Yes I like Harleys. But a less expensive bike would have been in a closer future. But the Yamahas, Kawasakis, and Suskes are all too long, and have much smaller engines as well.
BTW. We looked at the Sporststers yesterday. I look GOOD on one.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Re: Motorcycle in bed

Unread postby Limey on Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:28 am

What's the BRP?
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Terry on Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:53 pm

Blue Ridge Parkway. One of the prettiest scenic highways in the world. Best seen, or so I'v been told from a bike. Real pretty from a truck.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby ButteBumBob on Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:50 am

If you go with the Sportster, I would buy two. Your wife will not last more than an hour sitting on the back of a Sportster. We have Honda trail bikes and they are a great to have on a camping trip.
2004 Crossroads Cruiser 29rk
2004 GMC Sierra, crewcab,SB,4x4,Duramax/Allison
1973 Seeker travel trailer (for the short trips)

ButteBumBob
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Terry on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:23 am

I've heard that. But no one says why. After all. There is plenty of room back there for her, ( She is just little) and she can lean back on the sissy bar. Or she can lean forward on me. :mrgreen: Friends of ours have one, and they ride all over the mountains. And don't tell them. But they are bigger than we are. Gonna get a little larger seat. And the Bike will be a Custom with the forward foot controls. They really make a big difference in leg placement. Not cramped at all. I was surprised. at the difference between a Sportster Low, and a Custom. I don't think she will have much trouble back there, as when we met. I was riding a 350 Honda. She didn't mind riding behind me then. it wasn't near as good a ride as the Sportster.

However. It is all on hold now, as DW had emergency surgery, and now I have a hospital to buy.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby wintek on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:29 am

My son has a Sportster Nightrider 1200 XL and since I'm the co-signer I get to ride :D The sportster does sit lower to the ground and provides a rougher ride than other Harleys. Riding double will require you to adjust rear shocks. It's easy to do with their $12.00 adjustment tool. The Sportster should be fine on the Parkway but stay away from rougher roads. You are right about the forward controls. They make all the difference. The power on this bike is unbelievable. Be careful and have fun!!!
wintek
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Terry on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:45 am

That lower to the ground thing is also a pluss to me, as, as I get older, and stiffer. It gets harder to throw my leg across a high saddle. And with a sissy bar, I won't be able to come across the back and slide up. It also makes handeling it at a stop easier.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:53 pm

When I saw the title to your post, I wondered "What the........."
Are you wanting to put a bike straight into the truck bed or can you stick it in on an angle across the bed and pick up a few more inches. I'd get the tape measure out.
There is no such thing as a bad day camping.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:10 pm

I've heard that. But no one says why. After all. There is plenty of room back there for her

It's been a few years since I owned a Harley but when I DID the problem was the same thing that made them break down so often. Namely the vibration. After a couple of hours on the highway my whole back side was completely numb and felt like it was sleeping. When I changed to Honda I could ride all day in comfort. I understand that the Harley is now more reliable so maybe they started balancing those V Twins and the problem doesn't exist any more but that USED to be the story.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Limey on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:46 am

DW agrees with you Skip. She used to ride a Kawasaki Vulcan - she test drove a Sportster and said it was an awfully rough ride - she actually said that she though her teeth were working loose! :mrgreen:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Terry on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:25 pm

The newer Sporststers engines are rubber mounted to stop the vibration.

However not why I'm posting.
Saw this morning where Myrtly Beach will no longer have a Harley Bike week, or an Atlantic Bike Week. Plus. They have passed a city wide helmit law as well as an exhaust restriction.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Return to General RV Discussion