Skip to content

Change font size

Can't believe how much i hate WIFI

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Can't believe how much i hate WIFI

Unread postby skipnchar on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:42 pm

Only time to b1tch a little bit. Took me 20 minutes to get authenticated at Starbucks and I can't even drink the coffee. Maybe I'll be in a better mood and have something GOOD to say next time. I've GOT to find a better internet solution than WIFI. Anyway we're in New Brunfelds Texas and having a good time otherwise.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Can't believe how much i hate WIFI

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:00 pm

Do you really hate Wi-Fi, or is it really Starbucks that you hate? :mrgreen: I can't stand Starbucks either. As for Wi-Fi, I haven't tried it yet, but we just bought a MacBook so we may in the future. Glad you're having a good holiday.
There is no such thing as a bad day camping.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby cwit on Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:09 pm

I have had wi-fi that stunk in Myrtle beach and had great reception in Maine. I guess it depends on where you are. :D
cwit

Unread postby thetwoofus on Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:27 pm

Here's a much better then WIFI connection and it works well while driving too, not me the driver but my wife can scout ahead to find a camp site to stay overnight or anything else you might like to do on the PC while moving or at a camp site.
It'll cost you about 69.00 a month and believe me it's much safer then WIFI that anyone can tap into.
It's from Verizon wireless. A little thing with a USB plug and your ready to go.
Personally I don't trust WIFI because your personal info can be stolen by the person using the same WIFI connection, all they need is a little gizmo plugged into their computer to steal your key strokes. Naaaa, I don't so, $69.00 is a lot cheaper and safer. :)
Whatdayathink?
2011 Cedar Creek 36B2 ordered with outside kitchen removed and a nice big wardrobe in it's place.
Pulled with a 2011 F-250 Super Duty 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab and 8' box with a Hensley Trailer Saver.
thetwoofus

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:51 pm

thetwoofus wrote:Personally I don't trust WIFI because your personal info can be stolen by the person using the same WIFI connection, all they need is a little gizmo plugged into their computer to steal your key strokes. Naaaa, I don't so, $69.00 is a lot cheaper and safer. :)
Whatdayathink?

You have to set up password protection to keep your connection so no one else can use it.

8-)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby thetwoofus on Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:47 pm

You have to set up password protection to keep your connection so no one else can use it.

That's true, but what I've been told before that there is something some of these computer gooroos have a gadget that can copy your keystrokes and get the info they need to get into your personal info. The Verizon Wireless connection is password protected and it can't be gotten into as is my wildblue satellite connection at home. All my connections are also firewall protected.
There is a lot of stuff I don't completely understand about these darn PC's but something that anyone can connect to using the same connection would bother me.
We do just about all our banking on this thing when we're out roaming the country and I'd just as soon not share my connection with anyone else.
But hey, that's my belief and I could all wrong. I've been there before too. :lol:
2011 Cedar Creek 36B2 ordered with outside kitchen removed and a nice big wardrobe in it's place.
Pulled with a 2011 F-250 Super Duty 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab and 8' box with a Hensley Trailer Saver.
thetwoofus

Unread postby skipnchar on Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:29 pm

thetwoofus wrote:It'll cost you about 69.00 a month and believe me it's much safer then WIFI that anyone can tap into.
It's from Verizon wireless. A little thing with a USB plug and your ready to go.
Personally I don't trust WIFI because your personal info can be stolen by the person using the same WIFI connection, all they need is a little gizmo plugged into their computer to steal your key strokes. Naaaa, I don't so, $69.00 is a lot cheaper and safer. :)
Whatdayathink?

I used AT&T's Laptop connect (which is the same thing) for the last four or five years. It's cost was $60.00 per month which I would gladly pay because I could turn on the service before I left on a trip and turn it off again when I got home. About a year ago AT&T decided you had to have a 2 year commitment to turn on the service now and there's no way I'm paying $60.00 a month for a service I don't use when I'm home.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Limey on Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:03 am

[quote="skipnchar About a year ago AT&T decided you had to have a 2 year commitment to turn on the service now and there's no way I'm paying $60.00 a month for a service I don't use when I'm home.[/quote]

I count myself as lucky - my company provided me with an AT&T broadband USB 'thingy' that has unlimited usage, so that I can be available 24/7. Real handy!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:28 am

Limey wrote:I count myself as lucky - my company provided me with an AT&T broadband USB 'thingy' that has unlimited usage, so that I can be available 24/7. Real handy!

That IS lucky for you but unfortunately NOBODY wants me available that much :mrgreen:

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to General RV Discussion