Skip to content

Change font size

Censorship

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Censorship

Unread postby Gunship Guy on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:56 am

"Censorship"

This was the title of a recent thread over on rv.net. It made it to about 3 pages before it got zapped. Funny how a discussion on censorship got the ultimate censoring by being completely deleted.

The trend continues on rv.net. On a positive note...it should bring fresh faces and discussions to this site.
Gunship Guy

Re: Censorship

Unread postby Limey on Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:07 pm

Sure hope so - it's been really quiet this past week. Everyone ramping up for Christmas I expect!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:40 pm

I was surprised it made it as far as it did. The other forum has taken the unfortunate step of squashing, deleting, or censoring any and all dissent, criticism, or questioning of their operations or moderators. No hope of it ever getting better. What is wrong with this picture is the moderators more and more frequently escalate the problems and then want to "drop back and punt". It is quite irritating.
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby Gunship Guy on Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:36 am

Agree 100%
Gunship Guy

Unread postby cwit on Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:55 am

I f they don't shut you down they move you knowing people don't follow a moved post. :)
cwit

Unread postby Little Kopit on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:26 am

After January 1, it might be an idea to start as many threads as we can, keep them as positive as we can, and on topic as defined in the thread starter.

Then pm all mods and say "follow our example please."

Actually, I've already pmed one of them and said, 'hey, how about some encouragement, Or when we go a bit off track, give us an alert, please to back to the topic.' It would sure make a difference to this, zap shut down, when we blink.

:)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Gunship Guy on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:40 am

I almost PM'd a moderator the other day thanking him for his handling of a thread. The comments were starting to venture into the area of lawsuits and he reminded the folks that those discussions were against forum rules and he'd really like the keep the thread open.

That's what moderators need to do. Not what most do like sitting on their thumbs until a thread reaches a point of no return then just wiping it out without any explanation.

I should have thanked him when I had the chance because good moderators on rv.net are a rare breed.
Gunship Guy

Unread postby cwit on Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:20 pm

Was that Jens thread.
cwit

Unread postby Gunship Guy on Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:22 pm

Here's the thread. The moderator is dedmiston.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea ... #22205709/
Gunship Guy

Unread postby skipnchar on Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:23 pm

I suspect we've already got a number of members who came her because of one sort of dissatisfaction of another with the way the site is being run. I sure do agree about the irony of this one though but I see LOTS of justification for closing some of the threads over there. Others seem pretty arbitrary. If you try to keep things TOO bland then it gets just boring. Kind of like preaching to the quire :)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby mikhen on Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:19 pm

I have a post in the non rv related section here about voting for our Christmas Lights.. I HAD similar post on the other site for about a week, then it vanished. Guess the link to another site did it.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby Limey on Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:26 pm

mikhen wrote:I have a post in the non rv related section here about voting for our Christmas Lights.. I HAD similar post on the other site for about a week, then it vanished. Guess the link to another site did it.

I voted for you! :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Zinger on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:28 am

Little Kopit wrote:After January 1, it might be an idea to start as many threads as we can, keep them as positive as we can, and on topic as defined in the thread starter.

Then pm all mods and say "follow our example please."

Actually, I've already pmed one of them and said, 'hey, how about some encouragement, Or when we go a bit off track, give us an alert, please to back to the topic.' It would sure make a difference to this, zap shut down, when we blink.

I really dont see a problem with getting a little off topic like a conversation you cant stay completly on topic.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Gunship Guy on Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:28 am

Ain't that the truth.

I'll be in the squadron talking about world peace, global warming, and puppies and the other guys always wander off topic and say something about that new girl who looks hot in her flight suit.

Can't we just have a serious conversation about puppies anymore?
Gunship Guy

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:22 pm

Who said puppies?

Kwitnm/Canoe She was 9 on Sept 30. Image

Kopit/Beaver. She was 7 May 26. Image

My puppies. Both are still puppies.

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby mikhen on Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:30 pm

Puupies? Check out my sig pic. That's Rebel. He's 4-5 years old. He is a Hurricane Katrina survivor. Bloodhound mix and loves camping.

mikhen

Unread postby jp rver on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:48 pm

Gunship Guy wrote:Ain't that the truth.

I'll be in the squadron talking about world peace, global warming, and puppies and the other guys always wander off topic and say something about that new girl who looks hot in her flight suit.

Maybe the other guys thought you meant some other type of "puppies". :lol:
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Gunship Guy on Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:33 pm

jp rver wrote:
Gunship Guy wrote:Ain't that the truth.

Maybe the other guys thought you meant some other type of "puppies". :lol:

You might be onto something there.
Gunship Guy

Unread postby rwm2 on Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:01 pm

Gunship Guy wrote:"Censorship"

This was the title of a recent thread over on rv.net. It made it to about 3 pages before it got zapped. Funny how a discussion on censorship got the ultimate censoring by being completely deleted.

The trend continues on rv.net. On a positive note...it should bring fresh faces and discussions to this site.

I'm one U told about this site and I joined. I imagine others will to if they get censored enough.
rwm2

Unread postby KurtJan on Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:14 pm

I showed up here from a link on rv.net. I've been quiet of late as
1. My motorhome is in winter storage and wow it's winter here in Wisconsin right now.
2. Been pursuing the winter hobby of Ham radio a bit more of late.

Merry Christmas all.
Kurt
KurtJan

Unread postby Little Kopit on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:22 pm

Some here have been suggesting doing a positive thing or two where we thing apt. I just did so for one of the most deserving cases in the TC section:

Having been around a big total of 5 years as of today, I must say the TC section here is one of the strongest sections @ rv.net.

& that I attribute to the moderators. You encourage as well as watch. Encouragement and friendly reminders are the whole show to many of us.

Sure you have to go along with the company policies and I'm sure that's not always the smoothest, but that you keep encouraging participants all the while is most important.

Also, I think you must walk a nice broad board (not a tight rope) on the off topic side. After my 5 years, I certainly think those who are too narrow in their interpretation of 'on topic' do the most discouraging.

& the number of posts per day is much higher than when I first started hanging out here. That is a reflection of your encouragement.

Take a bow or two or two dozen.

The link ishttp://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22223471/gotomsg/22227529.cfm#22227529

The moderators are BradW and Reddog1. BradW has been a moderator there since I arrived.

8-)

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:00 pm

Once again today "they" went overboard and killed a thread, it is just silly stupid what they will delete an entire thread over. Any disagreement in a thread now gets the whole thing shut down and deleted.
fla-gypsy

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:33 am

What section is this happening in?

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:02 am

Not sure which forum it started in, I was browsing through the newest posts
fla-gypsy

Unread postby cwit on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:08 pm

I have been messing with the weight police over there for something to do, haven't had a thread killed yet.
cwit

Unread postby Limey on Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:53 pm

cwit wrote:I have been messing with the weight police over there for something to do, haven't had a thread killed yet.

Being a certified member of the weight police, I must have missed that!!! I'll have to turn in my badge and scales! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

We mods here hardly ever have to lay down the law or delete posts like they do over there. It is refreshing , don't ya think! :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Little Kopit on Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:34 pm

Limey, you're turn will come.

& even more I predict it will be caused by someone you lured here - speaking of personal experience where I moderate on a small forum. Twas most interesting, that was.

I seem to have gotten a wee bit of somewhere with one of the mods there. I pmed him suggesting some positive stuff from them and he has been doing so, a bit.

But going off topic a tad Limey, does ye know which Brit. solved the scurvy problem and where he did that? (great big fat clue, where did I used to live?)

;)

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Limey on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:26 pm

Little Kopit wrote:Limey, you're turn will come.

& even more I predict it will be caused by someone you lured here - speaking of personal experience where I moderate on a small forum. Twas most interesting, that was.

I seem to have gotten a wee bit of somewhere with one of the mods there. I pmed him suggesting some positive stuff from them and he has been doing so, a bit.

But going off topic a tad Limey, does ye know which Brit. solved the scurvy problem and where he did that? (great big fat clue, where did I used to live?)

;)

I know our turn will come - just liking the quiet time until that happens! :)

As for scurvy - we have three commonly known folks who are attributed with helping solve the problem of scurvy. James Lind, a Scottish surgeon, worked on finding a cure while serving in the Navy and should get most of the credit, as he was the first to try vitamin C based foods. Sir Gilbert Blaine, who convinced the Royal Navy to give limes to the sailors every day, thus creating the American slang for us - Limey! And then there is Captain Cook, who worked to test food and drink that would eliminate the problem but was largely unaware of the use of Citrus fruits and thus vitamin C - he worked more with malts and soups - he often gets a lot more credit than he should! I expect that you are referring to Captain Cook? He mapped Newfoundland, the St Lawrence and Quebec and spent a lot of time in the area.

BTW - My licence plate on the car says "A LIMEY" and it is suprising how few Americans know its origin/what it means. I had to explain it to someone only yesterday!

Another BTW - I come from Bristol, England - from where John Cabot sailed in 1497 and discovered Newfoundland - we Bristolians always say that he discovered North America, not Columbus - because Columbus hit the islands in the Caribbean and not the mainland like Cabot. Always been a lot of conjecture on that one! In 1997 we built a full size replica of the Matthew - Cabot's ship - and she sailed to Newfoundland to celebrate the 500th anniversary of his voyage. I have actually been on the Matthew in Bristol docks and, as a sailor, have a tremendous respect for the seamanship they had back in those days!!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Little Kopit on Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:04 am

Limey, I guess you don't know. I lived in Newfoundland for 24.5 years.

Yes, I mean Captain James Cook. & don't put him down. Among other things he honed his skills of command while doing his survey of the St. Lawrence River and listening to the local population, meaning first nations peoples*. what he learned re. how to traverse the narrows and shallower part of the St. Lawrence at Quebec City gave Wolf's troups the way to surprise the French and approach the city from an unexpected direction. It came from skills Cook picked up from surveyors in Nova Scotia prior to the flotilla heading down the St. Lawrence.

After the Battle of the Plains of Abraham** Cook was asked to survey the coast of St. Pierre & Miquelon and of Newfoundland before the treaty giving some shores to the French was implemented. During these few years Cook participated in a number of things. One was an eclipse. Another was learning from native peoples how avoid some winter sicknesses. What he learned regarded the use of boiling spruce needles to keep from getting scurvy. During most of his work his was on his own and was completely in command of his expedition. Those who dig into these things give him credit for learning how to manage a long term expedition during the Newfoundland years. He also reported to scientific groups of the era. Of course, other sources to sort out the scurvy problem would have been discussed and Cook would have learned of them.

*likely Mi'kmaq since the word Quebec is Mi'kmaq.

** In which my paternal ancestors fought & the maternal tended the wounded.
-----------------

Now, to the 'discovery' myths. Cut the crap and get away from those media events in Europe. Much was known of those distant shores well before any of these events you refer to. Prince Henry of the Scandanavian Isles (now part of the UK) heard various reports from 'Arabian' navigators in the 14th century ( http://www.guysboroughcountyheritage.ca/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=7&MMN_position=8:8 Well before that the Vikings had at least one village in North America about the year 1,000 at L'anse aux Meadows, which has been excavated by Helge Ingstad and is now celebrated as a World Heritage Site ( http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/nl/meadows/index_e.asp ). Betwixt and between the Basque Whalers came to the off shore waters and extracted resources. Without a doubt it was from these sources that those seeking royal favour gained information to try to gain financial backing and later power from their expeditions. As I said, they were really media events promoting what was already fact and well know to those 'in the trade'.

It's a pity the word doesn't get around better.

8-)
8-)

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Limey on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:19 am

Little Kopit wrote: Cut the crap and get away from those media events in Europe. Much was known of those distant shores well before any of these events you refer to.

I am well aware of all that you have said -I learned all that in school 50 years ago.

I did not need a history lesson, especially a detailed history of Captain Cook (I already mentioned in my post that he mapped Newfoundland, the St Lawrence and Quebec!!) - all I was doing was answering your question and sharing something I thought you may have found interesting from MY heritage - excuse me for sharing my crap, I will not make that mistake again.......
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Little Kopit on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:07 pm

Well, Limey, I took you wrongly. & I apologize.

I have met many who honestly think those much publicized versions of past history were the true ones.

I know historians who don't accept some of what I thought might be interesting.

8-)

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Limey on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:05 pm

Little Kopit wrote:Well, Limey, I took you wrongly. & I apologize.

Appreciate it - let's move on, eh! :mrgreen:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Little Kopit on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:25 am

Well, if I may,

One of my favourite webcams http://www.eyelogue.com/donniecam.html which updates every 10 seconds and shows part of Amsterdam, is using the phrase 'snow grains' this morning.

Is that Dutch translation or is that term used in the UK?

I have never heard/seen it before.

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Limey on Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:47 pm

Little Kopit wrote:Is that Dutch translation or is that term used in the UK?

I have never heard/seen it before.

Me neither - must be in his translation! :roll:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby catmom on Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:21 pm

I think I've heard of "snow grains" too - my impression is that it refers to a type of snow, grainy & small & hard, sort of like partial sleet. I may be wrong - that's just my gut reaction to the term, nothing scientific here. :)

Interesting history lesson, guys. I wonder if perhaps North America wasn't discovered by someone long before any history was kept that would have been passed down to us. That would be funny - I can picture, somewhere in the eternities, Vikings & Arabs & John Cabot & Columbus all discussing with these unknown (to us) folks the discovery situation. ;)
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby mikhen on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:36 pm

I've had posts deleted over there because of links to RV Today. Now they advertise RV today Archives on You Tube. Go figure.

mikhen

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:17 am

For some commercial links you have to ask permission to post them.

It seems as though small place, you can get away with.

8-)

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Limey on Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:49 pm

They still haven't noticed the link to this forum that I have in my signature! :D
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:55 pm

Limey wrote:They still haven't noticed the link to this forum that I have in my signature! :D

They will catch on eventually. They are to busy being someone's momma deciding what they should discuss.
fla-gypsy

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:03 am

They are so gutless over there they now delete virtually every thread that brings up any issue with their forum. What a bunch of cowards. plenty more of it tonight
fla-gypsy

Unread postby Limey on Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:03 pm

Check this one out! I dared them to remove my post and they closed the thread instead. Seems the Moderator doesn't like any folks to disagree with what he/she thinks.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22286858/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

:shock: :shock:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:30 pm

So typical of the poor moderation over there. If anyone disagrees in a post it is deleted or shut down instead of letting it run it's course. There was nothing in the thread that warranted it being closed.
fla-gypsy

Unread postby Limey on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:44 pm

It gets worse - the OP on that thread posted an 'apology' if he offended anyone. He got alot of support from all those who supported him before.
However, the moderator posted that there are a lot of 'folks who take the negative road" on the forum. That really ticked me off! I posted this (just in case it gets deleted! :mrgreen: )

So the original post was closed because the moderator did not like it. It is very adult of the OP to apologize if he offended anyone, and I commend him on that. However, I resent the Moderator's insinuation that I may be one of those who may 'take a negative road'. I have been on this forum for some years and have been active, supportive and positive nearly all of the time. I'm not that old and I had a fun filled youth, but always was responsible in what I did. I'm now a little older and still have a fun filled, easy going life. Please do not jump to the conclusion that we, who disagree, are crotchety old twits who cannot share a joke and have a negative attitude. That is stereotyping and unjustified. Nor should you jump to the conclusion that all folks, who may have their property treated so, should see it as no big deal. The only problem I now have is that the original post was closed simply because some of us had a different opinion than the moderator and were not breaking any forum rules. We are all entitled to our opinion, whether it is liked or not.

So goes RV.NET. I expect that this post will now be deleted and/or the thread closed.

Here is the new thread: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22291981/gotomsg/22292848/p/1.cfm#22292848
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Limey on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:49 pm

Yup - they deleted my message within 5 minutes. I had a copy of it so i posted it back there - I expect they'll delete it again and ban me from the forum!:)

On edit - they deleted it again! I'll try a third time and see how long it takes to get a nastygram!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Zinger on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:55 pm

A British rebel I guess you seem so grounded here!
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:57 pm

I applaud you for standing your ground and irritating them a little (lol). The crew that runs that forum obviously have a high opinion of themselves and now see the forum as their own personal message board and playground. Anytime they don't like something they take the game and go home (close/delete threads) even if it does not break the rules of the forum.
fla-gypsy

Unread postby Limey on Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:11 pm

It was deleted again! :mrgreen:

I have been reveiving PM's and e-mails supporting my stance and opinion.

I just posted this - it will probably be deleted too!

As my posts keep getting deleted I may post it one more time, later! For those of you who read it before it was deleted and have sent me numerous e-mails and PM's telling me that my post is well stated, I thank you. I still find it amazing that a post that conforms to forum rules keeps getting deleted for no reason other than the mod doesn't like it.

Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Limey on Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:13 pm

Zinger wrote:A British rebel I guess you seem so grounded here!

See, and I thought you colonials were the rebels!!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Zinger on Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:19 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Yes, Limey, post it here and let it sit overnight or something. One of us might have an idea of why they're having cat fits. It maybe something sitting right there in the rules.

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:02 am

Post it all over here and hook up a link to it over there. See how long it takes em to figure that out. This is actually fun
fla-gypsy

Unread postby Limey on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:29 am

Yup - I am starting to see it as fun now too. The original post has long lost relevance, and I could care less about it too, but I have actually gone past the point of being pissed about it and have started to see it as a challenge! A long standing member over there commented on my last post and they removed his comment as well as my post. I have had SIX removed today so far - LOL. I just posted this:

jcapps - I see that they are deleting your posts as well as mine now! Amazing!

Folks here seem to be reacting to the fact that we disagreed with the OPs post. That issue has long passed, and like others here I see little point in going over it again and again. The issue, as usual, is the censorship here by the continual deleting of any post of mine, and now jcapps too, that criticizes the position taken by the mods. That is what blew this thing out of proportion.

bet it's gone in two shakes of a lambs tail!

Little Kopit - I can't post the whole thing, as they keep deleting my posts. Instead, I'll just add my posts here so you can see what was removed. Of course I think that they'll either close the thread or kick me off the forum soon!

BTW jcapps PM'd me and is going to check our forum out. I am starting to see this as a membership drive :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Little Kopit on Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:23 am

Limey, of course, you're getting their goat with that.

It's their place. They pay the costs of it. One has to make a verbal bow every so often to the fact that it's their site. The site serves as advertising for Affinity Group. Affinity had the final say.

It's their rules. It's not a newspaper, where more freedom of speech applies.

As any mod on any forum will tell you, the general membership is unlikely to see all the posts on a topic which have been deleted prior to a thread closure.

To say there, that you have been censored cuts no ice at all. It just doesn't apply.

Have you thought about who owns copyright to your posts? Think a minute. Yep, either of our countries, it's the site that owns it. I'll bet you'll find that copyright ownership is claimed here too. It's probably in the sample forum set up. Once you post a comment, it belongs to the site.

Yes, interpretations have been very narrow and very discouraging this year. I've been told, if you disagree take it up with Admin and in some cases I have. & I've stated my logic. As in gasoline discussion re. Canada. Gasoline pricing is different in Canada, all across the country, we have higher taxes. & the 5 most eastern provinces have regulation. Visitors need to know that. So far, I've lost that one. That's just an example I remember.

Ok, that's my $0.02.

8-)

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:34 am

For some of us it is not the fact that we disagree with the decisions of the mods but rather you are often times bully'd by them concerning your position. There is more than one over there that will jump in a thread with inflammatory comments and then shut the whole thing down with the logic that it is now off topic or has resorted to flaming when they were the one that instigated it. I was openly ridiculed by a mod the other day and then they shut down the thread so I could not reply. That is cowardly. I sent an email protesting but got no response of course
fla-gypsy

Unread postby Little Kopit on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:50 am

Ideas on that one.

Ok, when you see that, ie, what fits your definition of bullying or flaming, both of which are clearly against the rules:

1) Press print screen on your keyboard.

2) Open a blank screen in your photo edit software (I can help with either IrfanView or PhotoShop Elements). Edit, paste. Then crop and resize with at least 150 resolution.

3) Compose draft of pm to Admin. Sit on it 1/2 hour or more. (no more than 2,000 characters including links.) Often shorter is better. & I prefer point format.

4) Get your screen capture with readable text onto a photo host site (tiny pic is easy)

5) Do advanced search for Admin. Click on send private message. Give topic title. I tend to like 'need adjudication' Or "I think I'm being bullied &/or flamed". Very specific.

Include your images of the screen capture with the posts as images no more than 640 pixels wide, but with readable text. Make sure your preview your message and read very carefully.

I'm guilty of often forgetting to start a response to any reply with the courtesy of "thank you for your reply" & other wee courtesies.

Not to get political, but IMHO we had a really conspicuous example up here of how one party tried to bully one time too many last fall and it's now readily acknowledged that said party just about lost his job. Bullying can be curbed.

8-)

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Limey on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:44 pm

I am well aware of how futile it is to bitch about it over there, who owns the site and what their rules are. Their ball their game, their rules (and many made up as they go along!) I slept on it and have decided to let it go. They again deleted my last post. What that really means is they have now got one more member who will not post there any more. I will probably go over there to check for interesting information, but am done with posting there. 2,276 posts over there - now no-one will get the benefit of any advice or help I can give. Their loss.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby skipnchar on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:42 pm

If they keep deleting your posts you might try posting it here and then just post a LINK to it there :D
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Limey on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:25 pm

skipnchar wrote:If they keep deleting your posts you might try posting it here and then just post a LINK to it there :D

Thought about that, but decided that would be far too antagonising!

I sent a PM, complaining about what had happened, to ADMIN over there are his reply was no use whatsoever. He said that in November I attacked a Moderator - what I actually did was post a note supporting Private Pilots's comments about the Moderator being overbearing, in no longer allowing people to quote previous posts - a decision that the Mod later overturned! He then said that I was attacking the Moderator this last weekend, when all my post was doing was taking exception to the moderator' comments about negativity after having got personally involved in the thread. (He REALLY didn't like me re-posting it several times after they had deleted it!!!) If that is 'attacking' they would probably accuse me of first degree murder if I told them what I really thought!

He also said that my attitude was 'out of character' for me. I had no idea that he knew me that well and was intimate with my character! Amazing :lol:

Oh - and at long last they noticed my link to this forum in my signature and asked me to remove it - to be nice to them I did. :mrgreen:

I am currently not visiting there, nor am I going to quickly reply to the Admin's PM - that would be out of character ( :mrgreen: ). Maybe next week when I have calmed down, I will address his comments in a reply.

Any one want to see the exchange? I have nothing to hide - :shock:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Little Kopit on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:30 pm

Limey, just to get a wee bit of focus.

What is your goal in visiting rv.net?

I go there for information. I have 8 forums I cruise. The place where I contribute most is in RVing in Canada and Alaska. I enjoy doing travel questions and am half decent on a lot of parts of the country and the searching side of things. But rv.net is an information place mostly to me.

Now, I know of folks who go mostly for ATC or social chit chat. I rarely do ATC anymore. There are other places with more to offer (ie, here).

So, what's your goal/rationale.....there?

Re. Admin, she. Yes, I was new there and participated in a round table and she posted a reply to my post and called me by name, which I had let stand in a post. It wouldn't surprise me if she responded with LK these days. I think she keeps files on folks who post at a certain rate or has ways to get them.

How do I know she, well that's through one who had sort various stuff when getting an rving business going.

8-)

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Limey on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:47 am

Little Kopit wrote:What is your goal in visiting rv.net?

Not really relevant, but I go there for the same reasons you do. Plus, I frequent ATC to look for entertainment.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Gunship Guy on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:13 am

I'm anal about my vehicles as well and I wouldn't find that prank funny in the least. I have to agree with what JALLEN said about working hard for something and wanting to preserve one's investment. Pranks are okay until they go too far. I categorize that prank as "too far". Then there's that Crowe person. I'll reserve my comments as they wouldn't be very adult-like. Crowe is a self-righteous individual who enjoys posting a bit of drivel.

The moderators don't own rv.net so I disagree with the comments "they own the site, they make the rules". They are volunteers who feel some sort of superiority because they have a finger on the delete button. They are only special in their own eyes.

The mods don't enforce rules equally which leads me to believe they aren't getting much adult supervision from those who do own the site. Some mods are level-headed, mature folks who know how to communicate. Others, like "Moderator", are power-hungry children who got pushed into a locker too many times in junior high and are permanently scarred. Like the fat kid we made fun of in high school (sorry fat kid) who stayed in town after graduation and became a local cop just so he could give tickets to all of his former bullies.

I crack a wry, little smile just barely visible when a thread turns south because I can visualize the synapses firing in the wee craniums of certain mods as their fingers twitch in gleeful anticipation of being able to execute their life-long dream of deleting a post. The orgasmic relief they must feel as their finger touches the keyboard sending Limey's words into the abyss.

Oh what it must feel like to be a moderator on rv.net and drunk with so much power!!. Life would be complete.

(I just laughed out loud)

But all this would be moot if Limey would quit causing trouble. ;)
Gunship Guy

Unread postby Limey on Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:42 pm

Gunship Guy wrote:But all this would be moot if Limey would quit causing trouble. ;)

But that would be out of character - apparently!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Ozimo on Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:29 pm

Don't get me started here about the mods. I guess I got banned - He wasn't following his own rules and I called him out.
Capt. Abraham Quasuittuq
FV Ozimo III- Amsterdam
MV Aleutian Princess - Galapagos
Ozimo

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:47 pm

Ozimo wrote:Don't get me started here about the mods. I guess I got banned - He wasn't following his own rules and I called him out.

The Mods over there are definitely hurting participation. It is very frustrating when they rule without any regard to the forum rules
fla-gypsy

Unread postby Ozimo on Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:14 am

I'm told that Affinity owns them - so that's another one down the drain. One of my fav forums is Hull Truth which was bought by Internet Brands - close to ruined them, before they came around. Other boating sites started popping up - Burning Reel, etc which picked up the slack. Forget about rv.net and let's move on.
Capt. Abraham Quasuittuq
FV Ozimo III- Amsterdam
MV Aleutian Princess - Galapagos
Ozimo

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:12 am

This was my most recent run in with the modgods over there. It is out of control.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 01/27/09 08:39pm
Subject: congress and converters

you and others maynot believe it, but i have tempered my comments and responses because i am a new mod.

your post and others 'insulting my integrity' are still intact, because I am tempering my responses.

there are plenty of posts, in DTV threads where members clearly stated, they have cable OR sat at home, and said NO on the coupon form, so they could get one.

other posts on these threads advising others to do this so as too receive the coupon.

I am accusing nobody by name, these people already admitted what they did, there are others who did the same, there are people nationwide 'who are NOT Rv owners' who did the same thing, so they could but it in the guest room, or cabin or where ever

NONE of this was the intent of the coupon program,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply | Print | Add to Buddy List | Block Member
Sent Items
Sent: 01/27/09 11:09pm
Subject: RE: congress and converters
I will check with my distinguished congresswoman Corrine Brown to see if it was OK for me to have them. The last 2 posts I made on that subject were deleted yet yours calling anyone with cable getting a coupon, a liar, still stands. A very one sided, but not unexpected on this forum, situation.I have TV's in my home on cable and some that are not. Who are you to call me a liar for getting coupons and using them any way I see fit. My RV is at my home and does not have cable or SAT. Who made you the interpreter of congressional law? The moderation on this forum sucks to no end. They come on, flame members and then hide by the moderator badge while deleting any posts they don't like or agree with.
fla-gypsy

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:31 am

You can tell this guy is a rookie, he came back for more. Check it out.

Sent: 01/27/09 11:17pm

I did not delete any posts, in this thread.

many people have the same opinion 'about police officers'

my son is a cop and ex navy, I don't hold that against him or you.

in fact i'm rather proud of my son and his accomplishments

I think your opinions about moderators, are better off left unsaid

Sent: 01/27/09 11:28pm

Someone deleted 2 posts I made. That is a fact. My opinion of the moderation on this forum is just that, my opinion and not likely to change. If you choose to communicate with me in PM's I may express my opinions. You are sufficiently warned. As a veteran poster (nearing 10k) I will continue to express my opinions in threads and do my utmost not to violate forum rules while attempting to help my fellow campers, but when you approach me privately, be prepared, I will tell you what I think!
fla-gypsy

Unread postby Limey on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:04 am

After my last run in with them and the PM I got in response from Admin (which was a waste of bytes), I have given up on them over there - it is like talking to a wall. I no longer post over there and only read posts now and then. I unsubscribed to the ATC forum as it is the worst area of them all!

BTW Fla-gypsy: I went and looked at the thread and ALL the posts you quote, including the Mods have been deleted! LOL!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:10 am

I guess his handler decided it looked bad for a MOD to be calling everyone with an RV who got a coupon a liar and cheat because we kept some poor soul from getting there coupon.
fla-gypsy

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:18 am

Yawn.....things don't change much do they 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby jp rver on Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:02 pm

The Wood Tinker wrote:Yawn.....things don't change much do they 8-)

Nope. Now, site performance is once again in the toilet. Some portals work better than others, or so I am told, but the rv.net portal is very slow when it works, and often doesn't work at all.
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby leadm55 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:05 pm

Pretty sad when the main topic on this forum is the other one. If you all don't like the way they run it over there then why go there??. I stopped going there when this one come up. :?:
leadm55

Unread postby Limey on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:57 pm

leadm55 wrote:Pretty sad when the main topic on this forum is the other one. If you all don't like the way they run it over there then why go there??. I stopped going there when this one come up. :?:

One of the the main reasons that this forum was started was due to the fact that most of us didn't like the way it was run 'over there' and were not allowed basic freedoms of opinion. That does not mean we should no longer go there or have an opinion about it! On this forum we actually can state our opinion! :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jp rver on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:10 am

leadm55 wrote:Pretty sad when the main topic on this forum is the other one. If you all don't like the way they run it over there then why go there??. I stopped going there when this one come up. :?:

Well, the fact is that there are some interesting discussions over there. Sure there is alot of BS to wade thru, but also lots of good folks with great stories to tell and good information.

I like it here as well, but we just don't generate as many conversations as rv.net. But we are still growing here, and it will get better especially once our RVs get thawed out!! :lol:
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:51 am

I have much time invested there answering questions and contributing, there is no reason for me not to continue. The problem has always been the lousy moderation. They let some of the moderators get away with injecting their opinion on certain, so called banned topics without recourse from the other posters, they make disparaging comments about posters and then close threads so there is no opportunity to respond, they delete certain posts and then blatantly lie about doing it, and generally bully and degrade those they don't agree with all while they are charged with preventing those very things.
fla-gypsy

Unread postby leadm55 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:13 pm

I guess my point was missed. I just didn't understand the reason for bringing their problems over here. My thoughts were it would bring all the bad users over there to here and then we would have the same problems. Although we do have at lot better moderators here. It could still draw the trouble makers here. My opinion only.
Les & Diane
Conway Springs, Ks
2009 Dodge 3500 6.7 diesel 1 ton SRW 4x4
1999 Spinnaker 32' 2 slide
leadm55

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:33 pm

leadm55 wrote:I guess my point was missed. I just didn't understand the reason for bringing their problems over here. My thoughts were it would bring all the bad users over there to here and then we would have the same problems. Although we do have at lot better moderators here. It could still draw the trouble makers here. My opinion only.

We only consider it for it's entertainment value.
fla-gypsy

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:39 pm

fla-gypsy wrote:I have much time invested there answering questions and contributing, there is no reason for me not to continue. The problem has always been the lousy moderation. They let some of the moderators get away with injecting their opinion on certain, so called banned topics without recourse from the other posters, they make disparaging comments about posters and then close threads so there is no opportunity to respond, they delete certain posts and then blatantly lie about doing it, and generally bully and degrade those they don't agree with all while they are charged with preventing those very things.

That's what happens when the administration doesn't choose their moderators very, very carefully. Instead of actually observing a persons posts and behavior for a long while before (and especially after) making them a moderator, and acting accordingly, you get that sort of situation.

Simply taking the person with the most activity on a certain forum or a high post count and making them moderator is a haphazard way of doing it, and it creates problems and disgruntled members when the person who was granted the power of moderation suddenly doesn't work out as they had hoped.

I still visit rv.net myself on occasion, but I don't post there anymore - after I received a verbal smackdown by a moderator over something asinine, and was contacted by an administrator to remove something from my profile that was clearly allowed in the rules, I just stopped contributing. Yeah, they're bigger, they're busier, and they're better known, but I've participated in plenty of big forums on various topics over the years and left them due to similar situations - I can do the same at rv.net

Everyone is welcome here, but everyone will also be treated fairly and equally.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:10 pm

PrivatePilot wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:I have much time invested there answering questions and contributing, there is no reason for me not to continue. The problem has always been the lousy moderation. They let some of the moderators get away with injecting their opinion on certain, so called banned topics without recourse from the other posters, they make disparaging comments about posters and then close threads so there is no opportunity to respond, they delete certain posts and then blatantly lie about doing it, and generally bully and degrade those they don't agree with all while they are charged with preventing those very things.

That's what happens when the administration doesn't choose their moderators very, very carefully. Instead of actually observing a persons posts and behavior for a long while before (and especially after) making them a moderator, and acting accordingly, you get that sort of situation.

Simply taking the person with the most activity on a certain forum or a high post count and making them moderator is a haphazard way of doing it, and it creates problems and disgruntled members when the person who was granted the power of moderation suddenly doesn't work out as they had hoped.

I still visit rv.net myself on occasion, but I don't post there anymore - after I received a verbal smackdown by a moderator over something asinine, and was contacted by an administrator to remove something from my profile that was clearly allowed in the rules, I just stopped contributing. Yeah, they're bigger, they're busier, and they're better known, but I've participated in plenty of big forums on various topics over the years and left them due to similar situations - I can do the same at rv.net

Everyone is welcome here, but everyone will also be treated fairly and equally.

There goes PP up on his soap box....now that he is a 5'er and all....oh wait....forgot where I was for a minute....nevermind....just being a trouble maker 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:58 am

Here we go, picking on the 'Fiver owners again. :D
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:00 pm

Never! To each his/her own I say! (Wish I'd looked at fivers :shock:)
Jerry & Sharon †
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby Limey on Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:59 pm

Careful now boys, or I'll have to arbritarily delete your posts........

Oh - wait a minute this isn't my area.......................Zinger, where are you when we need you!!!!!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby cwit on Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:49 am

Zinger is over on the crossroads forum. :D
cwit

Return to General RV Discussion