Skip to content

Change font size

Camping economic impact

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Camping economic impact

Unread postby hilldude on Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:40 pm

Noted skipnchar said Kansas campgrounds had gone to pot.in another post sorry to hear this.I think campers have a positive impact on the economy. when I camp at state parks in WV i see lots of out of state campers.at beech fork state park 15 mi from Ohio lots of Ohio tags. when camping in southern WV tags from eastern US.the problem is convincing short sighted state legislators state parks have a positive impact like motels.We are lucky to have several state and federal camping areas.
hilldude

Re: Camping economic impact

Unread postby Zinger on Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:46 pm

I think the politicians have more important things that dont create revenue to spend our money on :!:
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby skipnchar on Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:01 pm

Politicians seem to cave into the "no tax increase" chants so when the money isn't there they cut services instead. They don't seem to understand that there are ALWAYS other options. I'm willing to pay a bit more if I get a bit more so why not raise the rates for users and IMPROVE the services? The way they're doing it right now is just a long slippery slope to really BAD park system that NOBODY wants to use. Missouri has some great state parks, Oklahoma has some of the best in the west and Arkansas, I'm told, even honors Golden Age Passports in THEIR great state parks. Wonder where folks are going to choose camp?
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby hogcall on Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:26 pm

COE campgrounds in Arkansas announced several cut this year. Shorter seasons in a few of our favorite parks. Some parks will only open part of the spaces. We were in an Arkansas State Park this weekend and they are still in great shape. The park was full and more than half the units had out of state plates. I hope the State keeps up the work it is doing. It only takes a small cut to see a decline.
hogcall

Unread postby jp rver on Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:29 am

Yes our state parks in Missouri are great! It is nice to hear the state parks in Oklahoma and Arkansas are top notch as well.

Most of the time, the towns near a state park get a large amount of revenue from the folks visiting that park. I always seem to have to "go to town" for something when we are on a trip. Keeping parks attractive is very important to the economic health of the surrounding communities.
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:16 am

Thankfully the funding for our Provincial Parks here in Ontario hasn't been touched financially, or at least that I've heard of, but (at least so far) Canada hasn't fell into recession like the US has so our budgets are still in the black here for the most part.

Quite to the contrary, after having visited a few Provincial Parks last summer that I hadn't visited in about 5 or more years previously I was extremely surprised to see at how much they've "cleaned up" and upgraded the places overall. New bathrooms, upgraded electrical, more hiking and interpretive trails with better markings, etc.

I know that there was at least one local campground that I used to visit frequently (which was run by a local conservation authority) that closed a number of years back when new water quality rules were introduced by the province, but the authority didn't have the money to upgrade the campground water system.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby cougarlover on Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:33 pm

i like this topic and am very curious to your thoughts on the below questions? Are they related?

Everyone is talking about taxes and the government's responsibity but what about our part?
I used to work for an energy bar company and they really instilled in me the idea of covering up our foot prints. We need to make sure that when we have gone home that we leave it like we left it, ie covering our own foot prints. How much is our responsibility? or do we solely rely on tax dollars to maintain our parks?

Nan
Nancy wife to Rob and mom to 3 beautiful girls
2 fur pals 4 year old Shih Tzu Dexter and recently adopted 1 year old Boxer Shreder

2007 Keystone Cougar BHS
2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500
cougarlover

Unread postby Zinger on Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:45 pm

cougarlover wrote:i like this topic and am very curious to your thoughts on the below questions? Are they related?

Everyone is talking about taxes and the government's responsibity but what about our part?
I used to work for an energy bar company and they really instilled in me the idea of covering up our foot prints. We need to make sure that when we have gone home that we leave it like we left it, ie covering our own foot prints. How much is our responsibility? or do we solely rely on tax dollars to maintain our parks?

Nan

In NY the parks are already there but not kept up very well they are primitave sites with bathouse and spigots every few sites the rates are reasonable but it appears that no attempt is made to make them better just upkeep on nescesary items.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Rough2000 on Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:25 pm

Where is the money from your State Parks going to. I understand that here in Arkansas that the revenue stays in the park that collects it. Also some of the sales tax dollars are used for our parks. In talking to people from other states, their states take the revenue from the parks and use it elsewhere. Any idea what your state is doing?
2006 Dodge Mega Cab w/ Cummins
"Real Trucks don't have Spark Plugs"
2009 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
What you said, what you thought you said and what I thought you said are THREE different things.
Rough2000
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:19 pm

I can only ASSUME that Kansas is spending it's money on wild women and booze cause it isn't going to the parks :D

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Frank Henn on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:59 pm

In Mississippi it seems to depend on the park, and the ranger that is in charge. Some are really well maintained These are the more popular ones lots of campers and other are not One that we really like reminds us of a New England State park, But the last time we were there, we and one other rv were the only ones there. Another one that had been declining got a new ranger and has made a remarkable recovery this last year. He is even going to add more sites. These are run by our fees, and state tax dollars
Frank and Janet Henn
with Hoover the Wonder Dog Now introducing Rainbow the wonder puppy
2008 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL
pushing a 2005 Dodge 2500 CDT
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Zinger on Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:15 pm

If you have watched the news in past few weeks i guess you chn tell how NY spends money (for entertainment)
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:50 am

Generally speaking Florida has a great park system. They do tend to favor certain parks with more money for improvements than others. I suspect it depends on who the state legislator for that area is,in determining how much they will get.
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby Limey on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:11 am

skipnchar wrote:I can only ASSUME that Kansas is spending it's money on wild women and booze cause it isn't going to the parks :D

Skip - we have been thinking about checking out the camping at Wilson Lake. One of my camping buddies was up there pricing a weed control project and he said it was a pretty nice lake. From what you say, are the camp sites going to pot here or is it worth the trip? (about 350 miles for me!)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby skipnchar on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:28 am

It has been almost 20 years since the last time (make that only time) I camped at Wilson and that was with a group of motor cycle friends on our way to Colorado. Just pulled in for the night in a COE campground at the West end of the lake and at that time the lake was down so there was no water near that end of the lake. I have no knowledge of the State Park there. Keep in mind that my negative comments concerning Kansas State Parks are based on my experience at only two or three of them in the Topeka area. There actually are some nice ones around but Lake Perry isn't one of my favorites for sure and Rolling Meadows at Lake Milford is one that the campground doesn't have so much as a pit toilet. Some of the others are quite nice I'm sure. Not on a par with Oklahoma State Parks where many of them have golf courses, landing strips, all kinds of activities centered around cabins or hotels and so on but still fairly nice campgrounds. Once again Perry falls very short with most campsites located out of site of the lake and MOST of the restroom facilities locked a large part of the time.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to General RV Discussion