Skip to content

Change font size

Excited about winter camping!

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Excited about winter camping!

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:45 pm

Well, after the season "wound down" around here, it's getting ready to "wind up" again for us - we're taking off to MacGregor Point Provincial Park (on the shores of Lake Huron in Ontario) from the 30'th of December to the 3rd of January.

The campground host (Frank, read his blog here) was so gracious as to send us some pictures of our site once we emailed and confirmed we were coming:

Site 67 -005.jpg

Site 67 -002.jpg

This is the first time in about 15 years that I'll be winter RV'ing, and the last time was in my old (Mid 70's) drafty, inadequately heated and cramped 14 footer.

We won't unwinterize (the tanks on our fiver are not enclosed) but the campground has one comfort station open (including showers, landry, et all) and the entire ring of the campground that is open is now reportedly completely full for the new years period.

I'm hyped!
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Excited about winter camping!

Unread postby mikhen on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:00 pm

Looks like a lot of fun. Maybe some day for us.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby catmom on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:02 pm

Looks beautiful! (But cold.) :) So far we're still content to "camp" in our house for the winter. If we don't have too much snow in late winter (i.e. March/early April) we might try to get out camping then. Have fun!
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:22 pm

Take a look at the blog I linked to - the snow situation has changed considerably from when those pictures were taken earlier this week....to now. ;)
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jp rver on Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:44 am

One of my favorite trips was back in March of 2000. We had a 25 foot 99 Nomad with no slide. An unexpected snow fall came during the night and dropped 4+ inches on us by morning! The snow stayed on all day, and the next night temps dropped to 17 degrees F. We were snug and warm in our trailer and we even built a snowman!! Of course around here a March snow usually is gone in a few days and lucky for us the roads were clear by the time we had to leave a couple days later. It was lots of fun for us, and I hope to one day again be fortunate enough to camp in the snow.
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:41 am

We are camping at the beach for New Years with some of the folks from our little local club
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:22 am

Fla-gypsy, are you ready for my definition of winter.

Winter = a minimum of 3 months with night temperatures below freezing with at least 10 days per month of snow that comes and stays for those 10 days.

If you don't have that you don't have winter. You may have a lot of late fall, which, IMHO, is more uncomfortable than winter. Or the cold I don't like is: a windy day with precipitation and temps just above freezing and no snow on the ground.

I've never lived where I didn't have winter.

We're having an early taste of snow today. I hear tell that quite a bit of the Trans Canada is closed in Nova Scotia.

8-)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am

We got our first snowfall early Wednesday here. Snow is still on the ground, which is really surprising for this early in November.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:22 pm

Eastern Canada got whacked good overnight. From what I hear, Nova Scotia took the brunt and Newfoundland the least. The ferry across The Gulf was down.

It's late in the day to put up links to the webcams, but I have them all bookmarked.

Speaking of which, I don't know of active Ontario or Quebec traffic webcams., ones which give you a chance to check out the whole province. If anyone has some, I'd be glad to have them.

Snow came earlier last year and stayed. On November 11, 2007 I first looked at what is now my house. I was camping, boondocking where I could. There were plenty of snowy nights. I blessed my insulation package. Plenty of times my dog outings made tracks through the snow. & I figured when I got home then to Newfoundland that there would be a melt and I would get the camper off the truck. HA! The camper came off in May!

The fall where I am has been good and I still expect some very nice weather yet. Since I've been in Atlantic Canada, 1978, the snow usually doesn't start to stay before mid-December, often later. If falls are long out here, spring comes late.

8-)

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:54 pm

Well the calender says it is winter anyway!
fla-gypsy

Unread postby jp rver on Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:58 pm

PrivatePilot wrote:We got our first snowfall early Wednesday here. Snow is still on the ground, which is really surprising for this early in November.

No accumulation down here in southeast Missouri yet, but we have seen some flurries. Average first accumulating snowfall around here is not until about 6th of December. And winter around here can vary a great deal. I have seen winters with over 35 inches of snow, and winters with absolutely no snow whatsoever. Average yearly snowfall in this area is around 20 inches (not near as much as some of you Canadiens see!) Being the snow lover that I am, I hope we have a snowy winter this year. Last year we had some snow, and also an accumulating sleet storm. 3 inches of sleet is lots of fun for sledding! Not so much for driving though. :lol:
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Limey on Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:18 pm

fla-gypsy wrote:Well the calender says it is winter anyway!

Must be a Floridian calendar - mine says that Winter begins on December 21st, like every other year! :mrgreen:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:50 pm

Limey wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:Well the calender says it is winter anyway!

Must be a Floridian calendar - mine says that Winter begins on December 21st, like every other year! :mrgreen:

We can't really tell the difference, if it's not summer, it must be winter
fla-gypsy

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:23 am

Sometimes I wonder if Florida has anything, but summer.

Then I hear, as a major news story, that the oranges may get frosted and the fruit be lost. So, FLA has a wee bit of fall, maybe, just maybe.

;)

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby skipnchar on Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:24 pm

Everything is relative. Lots of southerners would think Canada is just one long winter also and you northerners know that's not the case. I live in one of those "inbetween" lands where it can be summer one day and winter the next regardless of WHAT the calendar says. Left on a motorcycle trip years ago with temps even at midnight in the 80s and I was riding without a shirt on. Bedded down in a roadside park in Western Kansas (near a place called Goodland) and woke up to 36 degree temps and drizzle the next morning. Put on everything I brought with me and completed the ride into Denver to pick up my oldest daughter and bring her home. We returned the next day with temps in that same area of over 105 degrees and the asphalt was so hot I couldn't park the bike on the side stand without it falling over.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Zinger on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:18 pm

Winter camping sounds like fun but I wonder what all the salt spray will do to the trailer?
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:31 pm

Zinger wrote:Winter camping sounds like fun but I wonder what all the salt spray will do to the trailer?

It's something I thought of, but I can't see any real major issues with it so long as it's washed off after the trip. I'm hoping that the temperatures are conducive to doing this as soon as we get home, but if not I'll wait until it warms up and then go get the trailer and take it to the local truck wash.

With most trailers made in the snowbelt I think many owners would be surprised to know that there's a good chance that their own trailers probably saw road salt very early on in their life - possibly the second it rolled out of the factory if it was manufactured or delivered to the dealership during the snowy months.

I see lots of TT's behind hotshot pickup trucks traveling east to Quebec in the snow every winter. Remember that the dealers lots are full come spring, and those trailers that filled the lots often traveled during the snowy months to get there.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Zinger on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:36 pm

PrivatePilot wrote:
Zinger wrote:Winter camping sounds like fun but I wonder what all the salt spray will do to the trailer?

It's something I thought of, but I can't see any real major issues with it so long as it's washed off after the trip. I'm hoping that the temperatures are conducive to doing this as soon as we get home, but if not I'll wait until it warms up and then go get the trailer and take it to the local truck wash.

With most trailers made in the snowbelt I think many owners would be surprised to know that there's a good chance that their own trailers probably saw road salt very early on in their life - possibly the second it rolled out of the factory if it was manufactured or delivered to the dealership during the snowy months.

I see lots of TT's behind hotshot pickup trucks traveling east to Quebec in the snow every winter. Remember that the dealers lots are full come spring, and those trailers that filled the lots often traveled during the snowy months to get there.

very true just being the devils advocate I would go if I had the chance also.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby skipnchar on Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:52 pm

Salt spray from snow covered streets might be a minor concern but it CERTAINLY wouldn't be any worse than spending a month or so camping right on the beach with salt spray in the air 24/7. You just hit a car wash/truck wash when you're finished and give it a good washing.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:00 pm

Camping at the beach for New Years, not concerned about salt spray
fla-gypsy

Unread postby catmom on Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:11 pm

So true. Our trailer was built during Dec & Jan a year ago, and no doubt traveled through all the snow we had last winter to our dealer's, probably in Jan or Feb. As a result, we found some corrosion in the door locks and other places that hadn't existed on our previous (also new) campers.

As far as hitting a car wash, that won't work for large trailers very well, of course, and even for cars in the winter - we couldn't wash our truck last year for several months, due to the cold temperatures. When it's enough below freezing, locks freeze up, as do windows - not pretty.

Years ago, when we lived in NH, we discovered cars there took only a year or two to develop some pretty hefty rust spots, mostly from the salt on the roads in winter, combined with salty seaside air.
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:31 am

Well, I lived in Sudbury for over 5 years in the 70s. Many would put their cars through a car wash once a week to get the salt off. & temps there go to -20 many a time. You have to have a bloc heater there. & the last year I was there and living 30 miles out of Sudbury, the temps went to the -40s often and often.

It's possible that those who build car washes in areas like that build them different, so you get the locks dried out before you re-emerge into the cold air.

But yes, buggies from Alberta and such last longer than places which use more salt.

8-)
Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to General RV Discussion