Skip to content

Change font size

Buy Your Own

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Buy Your Own

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:15 pm

I've been looking at properties up north to have my own little campsite. I have found a few, priced from 20 to 40 grand, some with hydro and a well system some not. Usually an acres to 10 acres depending.
I used to enjoy going to a campground and meeting different people. But the last few years I have noticed that we tend to pick the sites and campgrounds that have few campers around. If someone moves close to us, I will wave and say hello, but that is basically all I want to do. I see enough people and listen to enough garbage all week long, that when we go away I want peace and quiet, no interruptions, no cell phones etc etc etc.

My question is, would you rather have your own spot off on your own, or continue with campgrounds.
There's a method to the madness, disturb the method and the madness begins.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Buy Your Own

Unread postby KurtJan on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:52 pm

We are mixed. Most of the time we enjoy the social camaraderie of camping near others and striking up conversations and making new friendships. My youngest brother calls me the family social butterfly as I usually know everybody nearby our campsite within an hour.

There are other times, especially after the DW has a particularly long tough week at work, that we will want to get away and relax, read and enjoy the quiet. At those times we'd love to have a getaway like you described.

~Kurt
Last edited by KurtJan on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KurtJan

Unread postby wintek on Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:20 pm

I go to see places not necessarily to see people. I’m in sales and my wife is a nurse so come camping time we just want to kick back and be left alone. As such we camp in the more secluded spots which often do not include a campground. This is the main reason we have a smaller camper so not to limit the places we can go. If I was pulling a big 5’er, I would stick to the developed public campgrounds where social interaction would be more prevalent. When we get older, this may be the direction we would head.
wintek
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby catmom on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:23 pm

DH is really kind of a hermit, so he would like to camp AND to live out of eye/earshot of people 24/7/365. I need my social life, though not necessarily in a CG. We usually pick SPs, and now that he's retired, we camp during the week instead of on weekends when possible, and really enjoy the peace & quiet. :)
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby Zinger on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:31 pm

I think both would be nice I guess if you have power and water and a spot to dump your own would be perfect.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:32 am

We're kind of on both sides of the fence here. I enjoy the solitude of camping sometimes, but I also really enjoy the social aspect so long as those you are trying to be social with are of like mind.

Basically, I won't trek onto someone's campsite if it's not clear they're not interested in talking. I'll pass by, wave and say hello if they're receptive, and if a conversation is struck up, great. If not, I move along and enjoy the solitude again. :)
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Little Kopit on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:26 am

BRG, you sound an awful like someone who might enjoy a wee country property. That is small building, winterized with heat and good insulation, not just wood stove, say 900 to 1,000 sq. feet, solid foundation insulated, plus 1 acre land that you can play with, not far from all of the outdoorsy stuff you enjoy.

JHMO.

After all that's my route.

8-)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:19 pm

lk yup that pretty much sums it up. I found such a place, but with a 500 sq ft building, on one acre, 100 amp hydro service installed, well water and chemical toilet, also included is a older fifth wheel that is in excellent shape, all for just under 40. Directly in the middle of where I always go camping. Have pics if your interested.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Little Kopit on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:01 pm

Pics, sure, if you're not giving any competition any clues. Chemical toilet. Sigh. Add 500 sq. feet.

8-)

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:20 pm

Here it is, the small cabin and fifth trailer that is part of the deal. Property taxes about 400.00 per year. One acre and all around this area is many lakes.
Attachments
491400000223800_1 (1).jpg
491400000223800_1 (1).jpg (15.42 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
491400000223800_3.jpg
491400000223800_3.jpg (17.95 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Little Kopit on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:00 pm

Ok, putting on the devil's advocacy hat. Having been through it last year, 12 months and a few days, might be only 367 total since I made The Offer.

How many of you? How many months a year? You said 100 amp service fine. Connections to outside world? How long to stay each time? How far from sources of income? Is work a factor? If you're working, could you turn this into a retirement place

What do you want to do with the land?

Cabin is no on a foundation. No siding. What about bathroom. Ways to wash? Well? Is well tested.

FWIW I wanted under 900 sq. ft. for me and pups, one out building, cement basement essential. I got 822 external measure. Oh what a squeeze after 1200 sq. ft per floor with outside entrance to basement.

That'll do for starters.

:)

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:44 pm

I would buy the property now, I am 46, want to hang it up by around 50 or so. 14 year old son at home by that time will be off to army college. Just me and the wife and two dogs. I would find part time work, or have a small mobile welding repair business. My expenses to live are very little, vehicle insurance, food and utilities, I can get by on 20 grand yearly no sweat.

From now till then, I would use the land for camping, as this is the area that I always go to. Probably every other weekend during the spring and summer.
Land is within 20 minutes of medium sized urban center, and 2 .5 hours from the city of Toronto.

The cabin would be used for storage of personal items. I would place my fifth wheel beside the building and that would be my main residence. Well water and pump to the trailer, 100 amp service already installed and phone lines are at the road, which I would have to pay to have brought in, maybe use a cell phone. Internet, satellite if I had too????????

I have no interest what so ever living in a stick house, been rv living for so many years now, it just seems normal. Summer time I might travel??

I would have a garden on the property also. Cement pad maybe for the fifth wheel to park on. Place for my boat. A campfire section and maybe a tool shed for lawn equipment.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:04 pm

Also I might add, I am a bit of a survivalist as well, looking at the economy and what I believe is coming at us. Might prove to be the smart thing to do???????????????????????????????
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Little Kopit on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:24 pm

Sounds very doable!

46 and 65 are two different thing maybe. Just keep it in mind. @49 I took a big jump. It was jump or fall. I can't tell you whether it was 12' up or 16' up. I messed up because I trained myself to roll with the fall to the right. Having jumped, right foot was up. Left heel bone................

Gardening. I have gardened outside of Sudbury. Are you north of Toronto or west of Toronto? 2.5 hours sounds betwixt and between. 250 miles from TO to Sudbury, if I recall correctly. Parry Sound? North Bay?? Gardening should be good. It has a longer season than Newfoundland. There is lots you can grow. Queen's Birthday weekend was traditional planting day in Sudbury area.

Winters now, winters could be quite different.

How competitively priced is this piece of land?

I attached a reduction of a draft splice of where I want my garden. That's SSW of out buildings & about 120 wide. Pic was taken Nov. 11, 2007.

Attachments
Draft Splice 55_56 ON.jpg
Draft Splice 55_56 ON.jpg

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:29 pm

Just north of Huntsville maybe 13 miles or so. The asking price is a little pricey, I talked with the real estate agent last weekend and letting it sit for the moment. One guy had a similiar piece of property and was asking 30 grand, a month later he dropped to 18500.00.
There are a number of properties for sale and I just won't jump at the first one so to speak. I figure the economy is going to tank even further in 09. There should be some deals to be had, the real estate has been overvalued in that region for some time now anyhow.

Your piece of property looks good, where is that located? how many acres??
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:10 pm

I'd sit and wait and see what happens as well.

Leisure properties are usually the first thing to go in tough times, and nobody is buying right now. It's certainly (and will remain for some time) a buyers market, that's for sure.

If the property was lakefront or had something major in the way of a cottage or house then someone might bite on it regardless, but that doesn't seem to be the situation. Those with money to burn right now are looking at the middle and high end cottage properties now, many of which are currently being sold under distress, or are priced drastically lower then what they were only a year or two ago simply to have a chance of actually selling.

Like like a nice little plot of land to me, though.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Little Kopit on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:46 pm

Mine looks quite plain, right now. The choice of trees is not my favourites.

But after I started thinking of what I can do.

To have grounds you don't have to mow you have have shrubs and trees. I'm buying books etc. on native plants, looking at those that are low growing.

& I want fruit, trees, vines, bushes. Apple, peach, pear, cherry, grape vines, high bush blueberry (arthritic knees). Strawberries are one I can forgo. They take a lot of care.

Of course, it's my home. & why I have a house. I like messing with the land.

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to General RV Discussion