Skip to content

Change font size

Sat TV

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Sat TV

Unread postby Frank Henn on Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:03 pm

Janet is one of the worlds biggest football junkies./ As I am writing this she has three TVS on watching three different games..We camp all year round mostly at our state park system. These parks do not have any cable hook ups.. In the last two years we have stayed on at three parks with cable hook ups and these were private parks. My question, is when it comes to Sat TV who has the best quality and the best cost factor. All so how many beers does this take to set up :D
Frank and Janet Henn
with Hoover the Wonder Dog Now introducing Rainbow the wonder puppy
2008 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL
pushing a 2005 Dodge 2500 CDT
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Re: Sat TV

Unread postby skipnchar on Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:24 pm

I can't imagine there is any difference in "quality" since both Direct and Dish will be 100% digital. They probably offer slightly different program packages though so that would probably be the place to start shopping. I have Direct TV at home but have never bothered setting it up for in the trailer because there isn't much on that I find of interest. You can watch 20 year old MOVIES most any time you want to or see "home shopping" shows on 15 different channels (and I don't watch them on even one). New movies are mostly PPV items and sports...lots of good offerings but MOSTLY premium services. Local channels means just what it says. Local means just from your city/metro area. I was used to getting locals from the Kansas City Market PLUS the Topeka market from my old cable provider. Since changing I'm now limited to Topeka only so lost about 8 channels from the KC area.

If it wasn't for Discovery, Learning channel, Science channel and History channel and 10 year old sit coms I'd just rip it down from the roof :mrgreen:
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Frank Henn on Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:08 pm

I happen to agree with you, most of the time I will plug in a dvd or watch a pbs show that we are able to receive every where. However Janet is addicted to football collage and the pros. we are going out for Thanksgiving weekend this month, followed by a New Years Eve camp out that will go From Wed thru Sun. Two different parks and are too far for her to drive back and forth to watch the games.. I wonder if the 12 step program works for the sports addict :D :D :D :D
Frank and Janet Henn
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby cwit on Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:46 pm

Direct is for sports
cwit

Unread postby leadm55 on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:17 pm

Not to bad to set up. You will need a cheap-o satellite finder which are very easy to use. ($4 to $15) It takes us about 30 minutes to set up on a good day. We have found that getting you tripod levels is the best place to start then it is a breeze.
Les & Diane
Conway Springs, Ks
2009 Dodge 3500 6.7 diesel 1 ton SRW 4x4
1999 Spinnaker 32' 2 slide
leadm55

Unread postby DFH-GMC on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:42 pm

Direct has the best sports packages.
Quality is the same
DFH-GMC
DFH-GMC

Unread postby Frank Henn on Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:29 am

Any body tried the VuQube
Frank and Janet Henn
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby leadm55 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:58 am

VuQube looks to be a really neat deal. But the price didn't impress me to much. $570-$700. I think I will stay with the pains of setting my dish up. Thanks for the info though.
Les & Diane
Conway Springs, Ks
2009 Dodge 3500 6.7 diesel 1 ton SRW 4x4
1999 Spinnaker 32' 2 slide
leadm55

Unread postby Rough2000 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:17 pm

You need Directv with NFL Sunday Ticket...then to add topping on the cake get her The Red Zone Channel. She will be so wrapped up in football that you will be able to go fishing, golfing, whatever is your desire. Normally real easy to set up unless you have a lot of trees around your camping site. We have an antenna, tripod, and bring our receivers from home. Good luck.
2006 Dodge Mega Cab w/ Cummins
"Real Trucks don't have Spark Plugs"
2009 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
What you said, what you thought you said and what I thought you said are THREE different things.
Rough2000
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Frank Henn on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:41 pm

We signed up for Direct TV, on Saturday.. They have a hurricane package that I can get on line, That I believe comes with a bunch of cable, and another dish plus a stand
Frank and Janet Henn
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:30 pm

I looked at the VuCube, but as of this spring they were still in excess of $1000 locally. Friggin ripoff compared to what they can be had for in the USA.

That said, there really wasn't many times when we found ourselves really craving for more TV then we got with the good ol' batwing most nights. Only in Yellowstone and in the Bighorns (on the way out of Yellowstone, we boondocked for a night in the mountains) did our batwing fail us since, well, there was just no signals to receive. We watched DVD's instead.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Frank Henn on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:40 pm

I like the idea of the vucube, but can not justify the 650 to 699 dollars for it.. When you can get another dish off e-bay for 25 to 50 dollars. When we are camping do not watch that much tv The power antenna in the fifth wheel is more than enough.. It is Janet is a big football nut and during this time of year it is well I do not think I will go down that road. If I ever retire fully, I may change my mind about the Vucube and purchase it then
Frank and Janet Henn
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby thetwoofus on Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:05 pm

We are considering the vucube because it's up and running with no trouble. I am taking my Direct TV box with me this year and I'll be able to watch my NASCAR races with HOT PASS. No commercials and I can pick a driver and ride in the car and listen to the crew and the driver. It's almost like driving the car...ya gotta be a NASCAR freak like me to enjoy it. :lol:
Here's a link for the winguard dish looking antenna that replaces your wire looking antennas and it's for bringing in all local stations in your area, not just the ones Direct TV say you have. We get all stations 50 t0 70 miles away from here in any direction by just going up the numbers on the remote. Go to this URL and read about it.
http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/1073325.html
Skip, you will not only get what Direct gives you, you'll get every thing else including the 8 you lost with Direct, and it's all Digital. Look over that url and see what it says. I put ours up and couldn't believe the difference.
We have been waiting for the price of the v-cube to come down a bit. Hope it does soon, only 6 weeks till departure.
ahhhhh can I wait ?? I have to!! The other part of "the two of us" has to stay for the grandkids and Christmas. Bummers!!

Back to the point of the post. Check out the little dish, and these people ship anywhere. Ours came UPS and it's nothing to put up.
2011 Cedar Creek 36B2 ordered with outside kitchen removed and a nice big wardrobe in it's place.
Pulled with a 2011 F-250 Super Duty 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab and 8' box with a Hensley Trailer Saver.
thetwoofus

Unread postby tvman44 on Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:50 pm

We have Direct TV and it is a breeze to set up, just get your tripod plumb then adjust the angles on the dish and aim.
Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"
tvman44

Return to General RV Discussion