Skip to content

Change font size

New RV Warranty Question

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

New RV Warranty Question

Unread postby dalenoel on Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:45 am

All of the RV's we've had in the past have been used so I've not run into the type of problems I'm having now. We got our Eagle at the beginning of December in 2007 and have used it 27 days this year. It has a 2 year warranty and I'm getting ready to send the dealer a list of the things that need to be done so that he can be ready for it and know what to expect. I'm going to leave it with him for a week and then pick it back up.

My question involves some specific problems.

First, there are small appearance/trim problems inside that we are listing. A small leak under the edge of the shower and even a missing screw to hold the facia under the skirting of the outside.

My question involves surface rust that is starting on the side panels of the folding outside steps, on top of the tongue plates at the welds, at the welds of the rear tube bumper and misc spots on the tube bumper. I have not checked other spots yet.

I think these should all be repainted and am going to push for that since a new car would not be allowed to have the same problems even though they cost less.

What are the other opinions on how hard to push on the rust spots? The trailer is only 10 months old and I like to take care of my things.

Thanks,

Dale
04 Dodge RAM Quad Crew Cab 4x4
08 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
Hensley Arrow
Prodigy Controller
Wife and I, Oreo the Malshi, and maybe a grandkid or two
dalenoel

Re: New RV Warranty Question

Unread postby Zinger on Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:28 pm

I think the rust is a fairly common problem but the dealer if a good one should slop some paint on it. I would and need to buy a quart of black rustoleum to touch up. we got our current trailer in feb 2008.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby cwit on Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:02 pm

As Zinger,Man I like that Name, says If I was a dealer a can of rustoleum black paint makes you a happy camper.A guarentee is so you don't have to do it. The last time I went to my dealer for the frigerator recall he even fixed 2 lights for free. crossroads taillights seem to suck up water. Check my photobucket picture. :D
cwit

Unread postby Zinger on Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:17 pm

that picture is of heaven right the camper hooked up lake champlain in the background and it looks like the wife is getting ready to mow the lawn! i guess i should look at my tail lights closer I havent noticed moisture yet.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby dalenoel on Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:53 pm

Well, we'll find out what will work. I am sending him the list tonight and set up an appointment for the service. I'm also getting some rust preventive coatings and black paint so I can keep it under control. I'll let you know what happens.

Cwit, with that location I wouldn't have to go camping.
08 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
Hensley Arrow
Prodigy Controller
dalenoel

Unread postby cwit on Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:29 am

That view is like a picture on the wall, you see it often enough you seem to forget it is there but when you go away for a while and come back it is brand new again. My taillights do suck water have to figure out how to seal them, Ihave blown both sides and now carry a box of bulbs on board. :)
cwit

Unread postby mountainman on Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:04 pm

I have a new Jayco also with the 2 year warranty. This is my 9th unit and I find it a lot easier to do the sort of things you listed rather than take it back to the dealership. I realize that it is their responsibility to take care of it but I would just rather do it my self than tow it down there and wait around for a week for something that can be taken care of in short order. I've repaired several things on mine already one of which was to revamp the plumbing on the noisy water pump, shoot some brads into some trim that was not finished correctly and paint some rust spot that have presented themselves in just 2 months.
I consider myself to be a handy person and I also consider that I bought my trailer at a very good price and I am out nothing to correct the little imperfections.
I would definitely take it back if it were something major.
Life is a Journey and only you hold the map!
mountainman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby cwit on Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:56 pm

I like to do mods to make it our camper so small repairs or even some big ones i'll do. I did have to take it back for the refig. recall. My dealer is friendly and gives good deals but is small with one repairperson and to take my camper to him and leave it,no way if I don't ave to. If I can learn the how to I have the will to. :)
cwit

Unread postby Limey on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:30 pm

My trailer is now out of waranty - however the round trip to my dealer is 250 miles, so it was rare for me to take it in if it needed a minor fix.

I did take it in for one fix - on the PDI we noticed a cut in the fiberglass about a foot long, like a box cutter had sliced it. After discussion with manufacturer and several fiberglass repair facilities they replaced the entire rear wall of the trailer. Did a darn good job too and I had them tighten up some stuff in other areas while they had it.

As for trim issues and rust on the steps, I have always done that myself.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Zinger on Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:43 pm

remember some of us refer to ourselves as handy but not every one can or wants to do these things I too would rather fix it myself or live with it I guess I look at the warranty as if it is for the big things, but that is my interpretation.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby mountainman on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:00 pm

While we are addressing warranty issues, I have been preparing my new Jayco during the past couple of day for a trip to Oregon . We have had the trailer out a couple of times and everything went well. This time I'm spending more time inside rearranging things and taking some things out that we won't need. I smell what I believe to be sewer smell and I know i cleaned the tanks quite well the last time out. I pour in some deodorizer and think that will take care of it. well it doesn't and I continue to smell this odor. I'm thinking maybe it isn't sewer smell but propane smell! I open the cabinet where the rear of the water heater is located and right away I know it is in fact propane smell. I light up the water heater and the smell goes away! Next I mix up a bit of soap in a glass of water and go to the front door of the water heater, open it and pour a little water on the copper fitting going to the burner. Now I have a lot of bubbles because the fitting was not tightened properly. So much for Jayco quality control. Sure glad I caught it now before something bad happened.
We are never too old to learn that bad smells are not always bad and in some cases can be life savers!
Life is a Journey and only you hold the map!
mountainman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Limey on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:21 am

mountainman wrote: We are never too old to learn that bad smells are not always bad and in some cases can be life savers!

But, please, never again light the heater when you smell propane in the area!!!! You were extremely lucky not to have blown the whole thing (and you) to kingdom come! In the event of a gas leak always find the leak and fix it first. That's why we put Mercaptan in the gas so that you can smell it and take care of the leak (I work for a Gas Gathering and processing company - we have had way too many injuries and deaths from gas explosions).

Off my soapbox now, but I can't tell you how much our Safety Group drills that into us!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:14 pm

I'd have to agree with some of the others that some of the things are pretty insignificant. If you look under your new car I suspect it would be pretty easy to find some rust in some of the welds after 10 months and if those sort of things bother you it's a ten second repair with a can of rust inhibiting spray paint and you can pretty much expect the rust to re-appear within a few months so keep the paint handy. In the two and a half years I've owned my Rockwood I've been lucky enough to have had only one warranty issue that I found necessary to have a dealer took at so I certainly wouldn't hesitate on taking it back if it is of any importance or expense. I'd be concerned that if you seem to be nit picking it is apt to promote a hostile relationship with your dealer making future dealings on important matters more difficult.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Rough2000 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:30 pm

I find that by doing many of the small repairs I can do better myself. If the dealer replaces a screw, he will probably replace it with a screw, the same size...resulting in the same problem occuring again a month later. I will fix it right. Now major items fridge, air conditioner, etc, let the dealer do it.
2006 Dodge Mega Cab w/ Cummins
"Real Trucks don't have Spark Plugs"
2009 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
What you said, what you thought you said and what I thought you said are THREE different things.
Rough2000
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:35 pm

I think you will probably get the dealer to take care of all those things, but most are so small you could easily do it yourself and do it better. You have to figure that you would always do it better than the dealer unless you are one of the lucky ones with a dealer that goes all out. Some things require the dealers help in repairing but for everything that does not I do it myself.
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby dalenoel on Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:21 am

So here is the update on the repairs.

After over 2 1/2 weeks since I sent the service manager an email with the listing of all items that did not appear correct, with the question that I was not sure which would be covered with the warranty, I stopped in at the dealership. I happened to be going by from another trip, without the trailer.

When asked if they could help me I mentioned that I had not heard from them regarding the old email, and did not have a return phone call from 4 hours prior, while I was driving, he downloaded the email. I was told that Jayco had not answered them and times were filling up in service for the end of the year. I again mentioned i was not sure which would be included and if the rust was not included that I would just get it done before it got bad and I would do it myself.

His comment was "Don't worry about that, these are the reasons you buy a new unit, so you don't have to do those things in the beginning."

We have a scheduled dropoff for Oct 6 for the work. I'll let you know what happens. So far this dealer has been the most unusuall I've every run across. They almost matched the RV Direct price on the new unit, prepped it very well, and we will see if the work turns out included in the warranty. This is a very good example of what 'service' means.
08 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
Hensley Arrow
Prodigy Controller
dalenoel

Return to General RV Discussion