Skip to content

Change font size

Does camping too much...

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Does camping too much...

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:44 pm

Does anyone else find that camping *too much* takes away the magic a bit?

We've logged roughly 55 days/nights (and counting) in our RV this year which is without doubt more then I've ever camped in a single season *ever*.

Don't get me wrong, I still love every getaway, but I am finding as the season wears on that some of the "magic" feeling of getting out in the trailer is starting to wear off. I used to enjoy *everything* about RV'ing right down to leveling the trailer and cranking the stabs (it was all part of the experience, dammit!) but now I'm finding that I'm looking forward to all that being finished ASAP so I can get down to the other aspects of camping such as vegging in a chair, or checking out the beach, etc.

I'm sure that once the trailer has been laid up for 6 months once winter arrives the magic will be back in it's entirety come spring, but I'm wondering if anyone else who has had the pleasure of camping as much as we have this summer is finding the same thing or not?
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Does camping too much...

Unread postby jp rver on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:22 pm

I have never had the chance to find out what "camping too much" feels like! I think I could live in our trailer, but must confess that the longest consecutive time I have stayed is 11 nights. I might change my tune if out for a month like you guys were this year.
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby cwit on Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:34 am

We spend over 2 months in the winter in our camper and love it but in the summer mostly stay home. We take about 3 weeks during the summer to keep up on our passion antiques and fleamarkets. :)
cwit

Unread postby JBandMJ on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:46 am

PrivatePilot wrote:Does anyone else find that camping *too much* takes away the magic a bit?

We've logged roughly 55 days/nights (and counting) in our RV this year which is without doubt more then I've ever camped in a single season *ever*.

Don't get me wrong, I still love every getaway, but I am finding as the season wears on that some of the "magic" feeling of getting out in the trailer is starting to wear off. I used to enjoy *everything* about RV'ing right down to leveling the trailer and cranking the stabs (it was all part of the experience, dammit!) but now I'm finding that I'm looking forward to all that being finished ASAP so I can get down to the other aspects of camping such as vegging in a chair, or checking out the beach, etc.

I'm sure that once the trailer has been laid up for 6 months once winter arrives the magic will be back in it's entirety come spring, but I'm wondering if anyone else who has had the pleasure of camping as much as we have this summer is finding the same thing or not?

Your not alone…. For the rest of this season we plan on focusing on Quality not Quantity trips. The bottom line is…I think I’m close to that *burned out* stage and need to back off a little.
Jim & Marilyn
Mulvane, Kansas
2004 33 V Winnebago Adventure
JBandMJ

Unread postby catmom on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:33 am

I suppose after a certain point, being in your RV feels more like being home and less like "camping," making it therefore less like vacation. We haven't reached that point yet. :) But it does make me think we might not necessarily want to snowbird or fulltime.
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby ButteBumBob on Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:07 am

The "Magic" is still there for me. I am still waiting for the next time to go "camping". We are lucky to have two trailers (Fifth-wheel and Travel Trailer) and a boat. This makes for three different types of "camping". The "Lake" trips are boondocking next to the lake and having fun doing watersports and fishing. The "Road' trips are traveling and staying in campgrounds on our way to destinations. The "Mountain" trips are staying in the small travel trailer and taking our three motorcycles. We like hiking, stream fishing and riding the motorcycles in the mountains. We try to not do the same thing or same type of camping over and over again.
2004 Crossroads Cruiser 29rk
2004 GMC Sierra, crewcab,SB,4x4,Duramax/Allison
1973 Seeker travel trailer (for the short trips)

ButteBumBob
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby leadm55 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:08 am

We have been gone for around 3 1/2 months so far this year. Taking off for 4 days to Fall River in Kansas next week. So far we are not tired of it. We have met alot of real nice people so far this year and wouldn't trade it for the world. I am sure we are going to slow down some but I suppose the last week of camping for us will be in October sometime.
Les & Diane
Conway Springs, Ks
2009 Dodge 3500 6.7 diesel 1 ton SRW 4x4
1999 Spinnaker 32' 2 slide
leadm55

Unread postby Zinger on Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:33 am

We have camped 30 plus nights thisyear and I understand what you are talking about i still look forward to it but since most of our trips are 2 nighters weekends some in a row (too much need w/e off between camping) we have setup and tore down camp many times what I do enjoy is being setup 3 plus nights. with this said I still look forward to the next time.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby mikhen on Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:05 pm

No where close to being burned out this year. We haven't been out a lot because I've been laid off most of the summer. Hopefully next year it's different.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby Limey on Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:32 pm

Wish I had enough spare time to even qualify for getting 'too much' camping. We're off again for the weekend on Friday, to Chatfield State park. WooHoo

Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:19 pm

Very interesting question. I suspect that it just MIGHT take away some of the magic for us if we were just going to the same old place time after time. I guess that's one reason we enjoy traveling with our RV more than just camping with it. The travel itself keeps everything exciting and new even if the camping becomes routine. When we travel it's NOT just the destination that we find enjoyable but the trip as well. I can honestly say that I enjoy the days on the road every bit as much as the days spent in camp once we arrive.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:53 pm

I try to make every trip a quality trip. If it is to a frequent CG we plan new things to do in the surrounding area. I have not experienced any let down. I do have to say that I never enjoy the stabilizers and work aspects of camping but always love the vegging and having fun part. I agree with Skip that the journey is part of the experience.
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby leadm55 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:48 pm

We made it back from Fall River. Nice campground. Of course it rained most of the time we were there but still was able to cook out and we had alot of fun. Had one problem with the awning. It took an hour and a half to get it back up. Something wrong with the locking mechanism. Going to the shop this week and see if it can be repaired. Alot of rain here in Kansas last weekend. Here where we live we got around 9 inches and naturally our sump pump quit working. Ruined the hot water heater is about the extent of damage. Finally got all the water pumped out after putting a new sump pump in. We know all about cold showers right now. :o Tomorrow we may have hot water again. I guess it has something to do with "when it rains, it pours".
Les & Diane
Conway Springs, Ks
2009 Dodge 3500 6.7 diesel 1 ton SRW 4x4
1999 Spinnaker 32' 2 slide
leadm55

Unread postby jp rver on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:21 pm

leadm55 wrote:We made it back from Fall River. Nice campground. Of course it rained most of the time we were there but still was able to cook out and we had alot of fun. Had one problem with the awning. It took an hour and a half to get it back up. Something wrong with the locking mechanism. Going to the shop this week and see if it can be repaired. Alot of rain here in Kansas last weekend. Here where we live we got around 9 inches and naturally our sump pump quit working. Ruined the hot water heater is about the extent of damage. Finally got all the water pumped out after putting a new sump pump in. We know all about cold showers right now. :o Tomorrow we may have hot water again. I guess it has something to do with "when it rains, it pours".

If I were you, I would shower out in the trailer until my house water heater is repaired. Unless of course the trailer is stored somewhere else which would eliminate that option.

I hate cold showers!!!! :o
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:19 pm

Have to admit Les, if there's bad weather in Kansas for the last couple of years your area seems to always get it. Just might be time to pack up and head for the lake again LOL.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby crazyaboutcampin on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:02 pm

Being retired for the last 6 years I can go camping pretty much any time I want. This summer I have gone much more than usual. It has been great. I usually try to do differnent things each time out. Usually consists of metal detecting, exploring, visiting historic places, riding dirt bikes, stream fishing or lake fishing. Next week I am taking off for Brownlee Reservoir on the Snake River. Kind of like a lake but the first time out for the boat so I am looking forward to it.

Like I said, have been out much more than usual this year so I guess in answer to your question I am actually not looking forward to winterization but it won't be quite as heart breaking.

After reading my response I realized how much it sounds like a politician. SORRY. :mrgreen:
S&S on a Dodge dually 4X4
crazyaboutcampin

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:54 pm

We fulltime, spend 7 months out of the year at my business as this is when I do the majority of my work and that entails alot of seven day weeks. May, we move into our seasonal site about 12 miles away, then weekends we travel some 150 miles to norther Ontario where we go to the same campground every year. Boating, fishing and relaxing, some times we go for four days and sometimes two weeks.
The packing up and setting up is getting old, but part of the gig. My son is older now, 14, so he is a big help. We carry alot of gear, including my 14 foot runabout boat, minibikes and all the rest of the gear. We used to double tow, but got tired of the extra work and concern with respect to a unit some 75 feet long. The pulls the boat behind her vehicle.

We've been doing this for so long now, it's just apart of life now. Funny, I never get tired of putting the boat in the water.
There's a method to the madness, disturb the method and the madness begins.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:46 am

I hope I never reach that point were it isn't FUN any more.
We try and mix it up and plan to do different things near by.....I know I never get tired of fishin' 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby Limey on Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:51 pm

Big Rig Guy wrote: We used to double tow, but got tired of the extra work and concern with respect to a unit some 75 feet long. The pulls the boat behind her vehicle.

We've been doing this for so long now, it's just apart of life now. Funny, I never get tired of putting the boat in the water.

I double tow, as you can see in my signature. I am at 67 ft. I find little difference between the boat being behind the 5er, or not. I originally bought an old Exploder to tow the boat, when I had a TT (the plate says 4DABOAT), but at double the fuel and twice the park entrance fees I decided to get the 5er and double tow.

Like you, I never get tired of putting that boat in the water! :mrgreen:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:06 pm

It was white knuckle driving for me with the boat on behind the trailer. I used to be a commercial driver pulling combinations of different sorts. I buil the trailer for the boat to be the same width as the trailer so that I could see it while driving. That made me somewhat more comfortable.

They changed the license laws here in Ontario earlier this spring, and now requires a commercial A license for double towing and a restricted A license for rv trailers over 10000 gross.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:00 am

Big Rig Guy wrote:They changed the license laws here in Ontario earlier this spring, and now requires a commercial A license for double towing and a restricted A license for rv trailers over 10000 gross.

True, but apparently they're not enforcing it as I still see all sorts of lashups (including highly illegal double ball-hitch trailers) and the police just don't seem to pay any attention.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:50 am

I think next spring they will do a blitz on the 400 series highways especially the 400 north. I know they setup at the first service center going up the 400 from Toronto and pull in alot of vehicles pulling all different sorts of trailers. I usually travel at night, after 800 pm and have never been pulled in.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby tvman44 on Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:52 pm

This past year we have camped 86 nights and the last was as good as the first.
Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"
tvman44

Return to General RV Discussion