Skip to content

Change font size

Propane tank problems

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Propane tank problems

Unread postby LA_Bolt_Fan on Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:49 pm

Is it just me, but everytime I get my tanks (TT and home bbq) filled, they don't work until I mess with the knobs, turn em on their side, shake em, etc??? :D . Sometimes they only work laying on their side. They are all new tanks with opd's, but they never work right until they are about 1/2 full, arrrg! :mrgreen:
Backpacking one weekend, RV'ing the next!!
2007 Thor Summit 22rb
2000 Dodge Ram Van 2500 5.2L / 3.92 Gear
1 Beautiful Wife and 2 Happy Traveling Iguanas
San Diego SUPER Charger Fan
LA_Bolt_Fan

Re: Propane tank problems

Unread postby cwit on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:10 am

Try opening the valve very slow, they don't like to be opened fast. :D
cwit

Unread postby skipnchar on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:49 am

cwit has a good idea since if you open the valve quickly they sense a leak and close down. Another way I avoid having any problems is to NEVER have my LP valves closed off. Yes I DO close the one I'm removing but the other remains open so no air is ever allowed into the lines that way. OF course this only works with the auto switching regulators.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Zinger on Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:21 pm

LA_Bolt_Fan wrote:Is it just me, but everytime I get my tanks (TT and home bbq) filled, they don't work until I mess with the knobs, turn em on their side, shake em, etc??? :D . Sometimes they only work laying on their side. They are all new tanks with opd's, but they never work right until they are about 1/2 full, arrrg! :mrgreen:

please whatever you do dont use your tank laying on its side or upside down you could get liquid in your line (not good) all dot cylinders (other than forklifts) are meant to stand on the foot ring on the bottom in this orientation the relief valve is in vapor space not liquid a liquid leak is very dangerous I am not trying to rant but just want everyone to be safe. the problem is probably an excess flow valve built into the tank open it slowly it should be fine.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Limey on Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:52 pm

Zinger wrote:
LA_Bolt_Fan wrote:Is it just me, but everytime I get my tanks (TT and home bbq) filled, they don't work until I mess with the knobs, turn em on their side, shake em, etc??? :D . Sometimes they only work laying on their side. They are all new tanks with opd's, but they never work right until they are about 1/2 full, arrrg! :mrgreen:

please whatever you do dont use your tank laying on its side or upside down you could get liquid in your line (not good) all dot cylinders (other than forklifts) are meant to stand on the foot ring on the bottom in this orientation the relief valve is in vapor space not liquid a liquid leak is very dangerous I am not trying to rant but just want everyone to be safe. the problem is probably an excess flow valve built into the tank open it slowly it should be fine.

Absolutely right (I work in Natural Gas Measurement)! Nothing to add :mrgreen:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Zinger on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:58 pm

Not much nat gas in the sticks but I work with LP on a daily basis and see all types of cobbed up messes it really scares me to see a hardware store fill a 100
# cyl they dont check date codes and then watch someone lay it down in the back of the station wagon with the family in the car LP is extremly safe if used as the manufacturers reccomend.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to General RV Discussion