Skip to content

Change font size

visiting an RV factory

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

visiting an RV factory

Unread postby catmom on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:07 pm

We spent a very interesting morning last week visiting the Forest River #10 plant, where our trailer was "born" about 8 months ago. The tour is led by one of the folks in customer service, I believe, and we watched as somewhere around 30 trailers the size of ours (different floorplan on that day though) were put together. Fascinating how they set the wheels into a bracket that runs sideways on a track the length of the factory. Each "station" has a small team of folks that do certain chores, starting with adding the tanks to the chassis and ending with air-testing and weighing each finished unit, before it's towed out to the lot prior to delivery. We feel even better about our trailer than we did before the tour, after seeing how they build them. Yes, they're not put together like a stick house, but for a lightweight recreational "house", they're done pretty well. If you're ever near one of the RV companies that gives tours, do it. Worth the time. 8-)
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Re: visiting an RV factory

Unread postby Zinger on Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:35 am

sounds very interesting possibly someday I will get to see that also.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Fortkentdad on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:25 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed your tour. And I'm glad you shared the story. I helps settle my anxieties. We've put a deposit down on a Rockwood 8319SS trailer and have read some scary on line stories about the poor quality control at Forest River (and other manufacturers).

We are buying from a small town dealer who says Rockwood has been his "bread and butter" for many years. In a small town you do not get away with selling poor quality stuff or offering poor dealer service. You survive on repeat customers.

Someday maybe well make the pilgrimage to the heart of RV land where it seems 75% of all trailers are made.
FKD

'09 Rockwood 8319SS
'08 Dodge Laramie QC 4X4
3.92 gears with a Hemi
Fortkentdad

Unread postby catmom on Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:00 pm

Interesting to hear that about your dealer - and you're right, of course, that selling poor-quality stuff or offering poor customer service won't help a business, even more so in a small-town market! Hope you really enjoy your trailer when it comes!

BTW, welcome to the forum! I noticed you joined just a few days ago. Nice folks here.
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:39 am

Nothing like "seeing" your TT built. We were lucky enough to tour the factory the week they were making our unit. Very interesting indeed.
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Return to General RV Discussion