Skip to content

Change font size

Do campgrounds just assume we can't backup?

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Do campgrounds just assume we can't backup?

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:55 pm

Do a lot of campground operators just assume now that nobody can back the trailers? I was amazed during our trip west the number of campgrounds that just automatically assumed that I "Needed" a pull-through as soon as they heard we were pulling a trailer instead of driving a MH. I even had one campground say "oh, you'll never get in that site" referring to what turned out to be a simple back-in.

I actually prefer back-in sites to pull through sites as back-in's are usually less exposed to neighbors, etc, but I saw more and more campgrounds that seemed to have almost all crappy pull-through sites and no decent back in's.

Is this the new trend?
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Do campgrounds just assume we can't backup?

Unread postby jp rver on Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:56 pm

I am afraid it seems that society is "dumbing down". You notice it is getting harder and harder to find a manual transmission in a new vehicle. I am amazed at the number of folks who can't even drive a stick shift these days. Likewise, as RVing has become more popular, a great deal more inexperienced drivers are towing trailers than in years past. That's not to say that none of us can back up, but I have read on more than one occasion (on the "other" forum), where individuals are having trouble backing up. Have witnessed it as well in a few campgrounds. Perhaps the number of folks requesting pull thru sites is increasing and campgrounds are responding to that trend, I don't know.

Like you, I prefer the back in sites, and usually have no trouble getting my 30 foot TT into my site of choice.
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:46 pm

After many hours of amusement....watching people TRY to back in a site of their choice.....I know why they ask. 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby cwit on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:54 am

When traveling I request a pull through and very seldome unhook. Can I back up yes with great difficulity and much humor to others. When I am going to stay any lenght of time I may request a site change after a few days in the campsite. :D
cwit

Unread postby JBandMJ on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:19 am

If we were towing a car or trailer I might consider a pull-through site, despite the fact that the ones we have seen look more like a parking lot with hook ups.
Jim & Marilyn
Mulvane, Kansas
2004 33 V Winnebago Adventure
JBandMJ

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:11 pm

cwit wrote: Can I back up yes with great difficulity and much humor to others. :D

Yes,me too, but u have to see what we are dealing with here on the west coast & of course with my loong TV i really struggle.As the wood tinkerer can attest ,most any site near the ocean, crams everyone close together where u may not get to open your canopy if u have a slide on the other side.Also most spots are perbendicular to the driveway instead of at a slant so u are really twisting those axels & tires.

We leave those crampted noisey places to the newbies & city folks.
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Zinger on Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:29 pm

where we go is mostly pull thrus but sometimes if you arent paying attention (I have done this) you go to put out the awning after everything is all set up and there is a tree smack in the way. Way to go stupid I was so concerned about the slide clearing I forgot about the awning. I think pull thrus are better to build because most everyone should be able to get into them (more universal).
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:07 am

Right about that MC, I try and stay away from those "brownstone" camp grounds.... 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby graywolf67 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:43 am

Talk about amusing :D , on our trip out to west TX last month, the campground gave us a pull through yet it was so tight to turn into that i had to back in, which was much easier :mrgreen:
2008 Ford F250 6.4PSD Zinger ZT26RL
graywolf67
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:51 pm

Well then,how the heck did u get out if it was so tight,back out???

I installed a front hitch for just that situation but have not had to use it YET.
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby catmom on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:48 pm

We just got back from a monthlong trip and had only a couple sites that were backins. In many places, our 34' TT is just too long for many backins. We even barely fit into one in Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone (nice park, BTW)! However, I wouldn't have minded the backing practice.

We had a great trip too! :)
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:56 pm

catmom wrote:We even barely fit into one in Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone (nice park, BTW)! However, I wouldn't have minded the backing practice.

At 30' ourselves we too had problems fitting into the back-ins there. I did specifically request one of the back-ins at Grizzly so we were in a quieter area, but it was a tight fit - I had to back the truck up to the very front of the trailer (pin ahead of the fifth-wheel) and even with only an inch or so to spare the front of our TV still hung out on the road a bit. :)

Look familliar?
Attachments
DSCF1383.JPG
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby skipnchar on Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:44 pm

graywolf67 wrote:Talk about amusing :D , on our trip out to west TX last month, the campground gave us a pull through yet it was so tight to turn into that i had to back in, which was much easier :mrgreen:

I found that it's OFTEN easier to back into a pull through than driving in with a longer trailer. Pretty much made it a standard practice when there is no back in site available that will hold us. I'm not sure just WHO ever decided a pull through is easier than a back in but I bet then didn't have a 34 footer. :roll:
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:18 pm

I agree about back ins and pull throughs. I much prefer a back in than a pull through. Skip said it well, it seems the longer the TT the easier it is to back in. Mine is 32' and it is very easy to manuver into a back in as long as the road does not have trees lining both sides close to the road
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby Fortkentdad on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:47 pm

This about to be new RV owner is glad to hear that I've got a good chance at finding a pull through. Heck I look for a pull through in the grocery store when I go shopping with my car or half ton. :)

I pick up my new 33' Rockwood 8319SS next weekend - when I'll have a quick lesson on how to back up from the dealer and then I'm on my own, ... bring on the drive through!. Most I've ever towed is my utility trailer, hmm its about 11 feet, eight foot box, three feet hitch. And I can never seem to get it to go exactly where I want it to go. ... Ok pause, breathe, sigh. I'll get this.... aaahhh that's better.

I will have to back it up when I get home, I'll have to back it into the driveway. What I'm wondering about is how to get it into some gas stations where it is a tight squeese as is for the truck. May need to unhook on the side road, fill up and hook up again. BUt that would mean going through that fun exercize of getting the ball just right under the hitch. One salesman was suggesting we get a fifth wheel to save the marriage because as one gives directions and the other tries to get the ball under the hitch, ... you get the picture.

speaking of pictures - anybody recommend one of those rear view camera systems? Backup camera? And I see there is a Ball Mirror for the hitch to help you line that up. Any thoughts on these gadgets? FOr us who provide the amusement at your local campground as we learn to back up our too long rig.

:D
FKD

'09 Rockwood 8319SS
'08 Dodge Laramie QC 4X4
3.92 gears with a Hemi
Fortkentdad

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:08 pm

Fortkentdad wrote:This about to be new RV owner is glad to hear that I've got a good chance at finding a pull through. Heck I look for a pull through in the grocery store when I go shopping with my car or half ton. :)

I pick up my new 33' Rockwood 8319SS next weekend - when I'll have a quick lesson on how to back up from the dealer and then I'm on my own, ... bring on the drive through!. Most I've ever towed is my utility trailer, hmm its about 11 feet, eight foot box, three feet hitch. And I can never seem to get it to go exactly where I want it to go. ... Ok pause, breathe, sigh. I'll get this.... aaahhh that's better.

You'll probably find out that the longer trailer is easier to backup then your utility trailer. Short trailers (like utility trailers) are notoriously hard to backup because they react very quickly, whereas a larger trailer reacts much slower and gives you more time to correct.

The method I always recommend to newbies is to put one hand on the BOTTOM of the steering wheel and then turn your hand in the direction you want your trailer to go. When making large steering inputs move only enough to get the trailer lined up and then go back to small inputs.

Most importantly when backing up for the first few times (and many ALWAYS do this!)... have a spotter. It's easy to miss a fire ring, picnic table, or low brances when backing into a campsite - a spotter will see alot you might not and can warn you before an incident occurs. I drive trucks for a living but will still often ask my wife to spot me when backing up our RV since there's often lots to hit when compared to a commercial setup where I'm backing into a dock.

I'd also recommend going to a large empty mall parking lot and practicing backing there for an afternoon when you first get the trailer. Go at it for an hour, then crack open the trailer and go in and relax or a bit. Then go back out and do it some more. Practice makes perfect and large open mall parking lots are a great place to practice without much fear of hitting anything. If you have some cones (or even overturned buckets will work) setup some potential situations to backup into (90 degree, 45 degree, etc) and go accordingly. Practicing driving forwards is also usefull - test out braking ability, try different brake controller settings, practice 90 degree turns around a light pole (to simulate a curb), etc.

Gas stations are rarely an issue - we've travelled over 8000 miles with our TT this summer and only had one gas station that was remotely tight, and we still made it in. There was a truck-stop across the road with huge fuel islands we *could* have went to, but diesel was cheaper at the small station. :-)

As for backup cameras, they can be helpfull for hooking up ball trailers, but don't rely on it 100% since I've seen people smash their bumpers in when the hitch actually wasn't within the field of vision of the camera when they assumed it was.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Terry on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:48 pm

Likwe some otheres. I too can put the TT where I want it better, Backing, than pulling thru. A pull thru that is at a 90% turn to the CG road is much harder to get into than a 90% back in. Especially if it is a short pull thru. They often leave the trailer tandems in a bind, as it is harder to straighten them. Unless you pull all the way thru, and back in anyway.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby catmom on Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:56 pm

After returning from a campout today, for some reason it was harder than usual to get the trailer aligned correctly with our driveway, and it took several pull-forward-and-start-again tries. I will agree that backing a long trailer is somewhat easier as long as you're backing straight - but getting it turned into a 90-degree-angle narrow driveway from the road is DEFINITELY easier with a shorter trailer.

Easiest of all was our popup. We pulled forward into our driveway, made the turn toward the garage, unhitched the popup and then the two of us manually turned it 180 degrees and pushed it into its place beside the garage. Sure can't do that anymore! :) Of course, it's a lot easier to enjoy a full day of rain in the campground now. ;)
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby Frank Henn on Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:37 pm

I do not mind either situation, I have found with some pull throughs, I have to back up gain clearance for the slides to open. Than there is no room to open the canopy on the other side. I am glad that our fifth wheel has all three slide on the same time. By taking my time , I have yet not been able to back into any spot..Of course this come from DW being very articulate on pointing the 2-way radio the way she wants me to go
Frank and Janet Henn
with Hoover the Wonder Dog Now introducing Rainbow the wonder puppy
2008 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL
pushing a 2005 Dodge 2500 CDT
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby cwit on Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:03 pm

There you go my wife uses the radio the same way but I can't find her in the mirrors either. :D
cwit

Unread postby Frank Henn on Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:32 pm

Mirrors for DW are for a bunch of different things, backing up a trailer is not one of them. I get out look at the area place her where I can see her in the Mirrors, get half in and reposition her. It is all my fault. Just like last year when I purchased her a new car. after two days of shopping, and hour of settling on the price we are taking the new car home. Mind you I am the passenger, a block from the dealer a rock hits the windshield, and breaks it....This is my fault also :roll: :roll: :roll: :? :? :o
Frank and Janet Henn
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Fortkentdad on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:41 pm

IF a tree falls in the forest and there is no one to hear the sound,... it is still your fault. :D

One of the "joys" of Rving I am not looking forward to is the back-up game. My dearly beloved and I have a time backing up our little 8 foot utility trailer. Yesterday, after many failed attempts to make that sucker just go straight I gave up. It has a mind of its own and heads sideways with every dip in the driveway. That's my fault too because I didn't spring for the $SS to have it paved. Anyway, after several failed attempt she hops in the drivers seat (Dodge 1500 4X4 with 20" tires - can't even see that little trailer behind me). She makes several attempts before giving up. My fault because my directions were wrong. I was trying out the "put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and move your hand in the direction you want to trailer to move".... Didn't seem to matter. Eventually it was unhitched and we moved it as we always move it, by hand. Ok with a trailer of a 100 pounds or so, not so easy with a 8,000 trailer.

SOooo we pick up our 33 foot Rockwood on Friday, ... I'm hoping our 33 yr old marriage survives backing up that 33 foot trailer! ... (of course it will survive, all I have to do is accept that whatever goes wrong, it is always the my fault).
FKD

'09 Rockwood 8319SS
'08 Dodge Laramie QC 4X4
3.92 gears with a Hemi
Fortkentdad

Unread postby Frank Henn on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:49 pm

You will fine that backing up that new TT is a lot more simple than a short wheel utility trailer. For one thing you have four wheels instead of two and a longer wheel base. This unit will react slower than the utility trailer.... I would find a empty parking lot and practice have fun, and enjoy
Frank and Janet Henn
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Limey on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:35 am

Have to agree - the longer the trailer the easier it is to backup.

I have to hand it to my DW - she is a genius at backing the boat trailer in and out of the water at the boat ramp. Even the rangers have expressed their admiration!

As for me, I don't come close - but I am good with the 5er!!! :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby cwit on Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:31 am

When it comes to backing up small trailers I put a hitch on the front of my truck you can see the trailer and it goes in direction you turn the wheel. Your wife and mine would make a great pair.lol :D
cwit

Unread postby Zinger on Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:57 am

Anytime you can take backing up out of the equation it is safer alot of accidents are when backing up. having pull thrus may remove alot of liability.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby cwit on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:25 am

We always request a pull through when we can get one. If we are long hauling and doing a overnight we don't even onhook. I et the air out of air bags and drop stifflegs in front and jacks in rear and we are home. :D :mrgreen:
cwit

Unread postby Mike and Rose on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:17 pm

Ok! Truth or Dare. I cannot even back up my lawn tractor when the wagon is attacked!! :o That is why I drive a motorhome and not pull a TT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In my younger day I did tow a boat with no problems. Guess I am getting old or just need to practice.
Rig= Jayco Greyhawk 31SS New Ford 450 Cab.
Mike and Rose

Unread postby cwit on Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:40 pm

Practice makes perfect that is why i'm not perfect. :D :idea: I love backing up, that's why every one gets a good chuckle out of when I do it. :oops:
cwit

Unread postby Frank Henn on Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:34 pm

I have a RED ALERT.... I just received in the mail a two way radio system that is hands free. It is called Tech-Link I got it from VIP Enterprises (http://www.viprv.com) I will try these out next week end if we survive this hurricane They run on a 9 volt battery. Just think Janet can still make all kinds of signals with her hands but I can here her talk with out pressing a button.Wow,, it may take some of the fun away
Last edited by Frank Henn on Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank and Janet Henn
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby jp rver on Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:37 pm

Frank Henn wrote:
I have a RED ALERT.... I just received in the mail a two way radio system that is hands free. It is called Tech-Link I got it from VIP Enterprises (http://www.vip.com) I will try these out next week end if we survive this hurricane They run on a 9 volt battery. Just think Janet can still make all kinds of signals with her hands but I can here her talk with out pressing a button.Wow,, it may take some of the fun away

Are you leaving or staying put?
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Frank Henn on Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:47 pm

We have to stay Janet works for Network 8 They do Kidney Thing for Alabama, Mississippi, and Tenn.. She has to direct the people where they can go to get their Kidneys flushed.. I do have the truck full of fuel and attached to the 5th wheel. if it comes more this way I will pick up the Grandkid and its parents and head out. Janet will follow later when the Government allows her office to close
Frank and Janet Henn
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby jp rver on Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:50 pm

Frank Henn wrote:We have to stay Janet works for Network 8 They do Kidney Thing for Alabama, Mississippi, and Tenn.. She has to direct the people where they can go to get their Kidneys flushed.. I do have the truck full of fuel and attached to the 5th wheel. if it comes more this way I will pick up the Grandkid and its parents and head out. Janet will follow later when the Government allows her office to close

Okay, thoughts and prayers headed your way! Hopefully Gustav veers away from your location.
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Limey on Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:20 pm

Best of luck to you all in the upcoming storm. Be safe out there!

Keep us posted on the way those radios work. Could be good for boating too!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Frank Henn on Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:01 pm

Just got in from placing the fifth wheel at a local camp ground. Friends of ours lived in La where all the damage was done. Their house is ok but can not get to it and no Electricity. I use the new headphone set with the Janet package... All I have to say is where have these been... I could talk to her at the same time she was taking to me. I was going to back into a deep mud hole when she stopped me. I would have been stuck good. The only thing I had to go wrong, is I shut the door on the antenna. But I did not do any damage.. I guess that if your bride is radio challenged this is the way to go. Once more the are called Tech Link Headset and I got them from http://www.viprv.com check them :D :D :D :D
Frank and Janet Henn
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Fortkentdad on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:22 pm

Glad to hear the storm was not as bad as was first feared, but bad enough for those cleaning up.

BTW, we did find that backing up the 33 foot trailer was indeed easier than the 8 foot utility trailer. I was able to back into our first campsite just fine, on the first try.

As for the easiest way to park the Utility Trailer, unhook and man-handle it. If loaded, eat wheaties first.
FKD

'09 Rockwood 8319SS
'08 Dodge Laramie QC 4X4
3.92 gears with a Hemi
Fortkentdad

Unread postby jp rver on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Frank Henn wrote:Just got in from placing the fifth wheel at a local camp ground. Friends of ours lived in La where all the damage was done. Their house is ok but can not get to it and no Electricity. I use the new headphone set with the Janet package... All I have to say is where have these been... I could talk to her at the same time she was taking to me. I was going to back into a deep mud hole when she stopped me. I would have been stuck good. The only thing I had to go wrong, is I shut the door on the antenna. But I did not do any damage.. I guess that if your bride is radio challenged this is the way to go. Once more the are called Tech Link Headset and I got them from http://www.viprv.com check them :D :D :D :D

Glad to hear Gustav wasn't as bad as expected. Still bad enough though.

Gustav's remnants are getting ready to sit and spin over us starting tomorrow. National weather service has us in a 80 to 100 percent change of heavy rains starting tomorrow afternoon. Most of our area is in a Flash Flood Watch already. Not a bad wind and storm surge event like you guys saw, but definately a chance for some major stream and low area flooding in our area by Friday.
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby CHEROKEE GYPSY on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:52 pm

MCBOWERS wrote:Well then,how the heck did u get out if it was so tight,back out???

I installed a front hitch for just that situation but have not had to use it YET.

Now that would mess up my mind.A front hitch,which way do you turn it to go which way.
CHEROKEE GYPSY

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:34 pm

CHEROKEE GYPSY wrote:
MCBOWERS wrote:Well then,how the heck did u get out if it was so tight,back out???

Now that would mess up my mind.A front hitch,which way do you turn it to go which way.

My father had a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup truck when I was a kid that had a hit on the front - it was a shop truck (he was in the mechanic business) but is also moved around plenty of park model TT's in it's life. One thing is for sure, the 3/4 ton suspension didn't include a whole lot of capacity in the front axle compared to the rear, and with 1000# of dead loaded tongue weight on the front end of the pickup it was quite funny to see.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby skipnchar on Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:10 pm

I've always been an advocate of spending some extra PRACTICE time rather than installing a front hitch (except in cases where you can't actually SEE what you're backing). I once owned a small, very low, sailboat that I raced and towed it with a VW Bus. The way the mast sat in it's cradle made it impossible to open the back door and without doing that the boat and trailer were both completely hidden. The only time you could get a glimpse of them was after you'd already made a mistake in backing it. Front hitch might have made THAT a lot easier.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby KurtJan on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:50 pm

I prefer to backup and have more of Mother Nature around me when I camp. My DW will use a Ham Radio HT (handheld) and communicate with me in the motorhome. I just ask her to keep talking me through the backups and that I am missing the fire ring, picnic tables, trees and such. She does an excellent job of guiding me in.

~Kurt
KurtJan

Unread postby cwit on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:21 am

Got to get a set of radios, maybe for Christmas. :D
cwit

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:10 pm

I find the campgrounds that we go to in Northern Ontario were all built some 40 or 50 years ago, back when the trailers were quite smaller. It's a challenge when we go to a new campground, to get a decent site and then the room to back in.

We have buried the truck rear axle in soft grass, where we needed a four wheel drive to pull us out, all this at 11 pm on a Friday night. All worked out well but I really tore up the field, but thats where the owner of the campground told me to turn around.

I always phone ahead too, advise them of what I have and whether they can accommodate my rig. They always ask if I am able to back it up okay.

My son who is 14, hooked the trailer and move it to a site a couple down and reset everything back up. I was at work and he figured he would help me out, I could not stop laughing when I seen the trailer moved, did a good job too.

I am now looking for my own little parcel of land where I can escape too. I figure what I pay in camping fees would almost cover a small mortgage. Not having to listen to campground owners and all that crap to me is well worth it, pull into my own place setup and relax. I know how it is for campground owners as I own run a business and I would not want to listen to me either, lol.

Low overhead trees and branches in the main entrance and roads leading off to camping sites is a problem. The rigs are getting bigger and bigger. You spend alot of money on a rig, and then run branches down the side of it.

I always get out and survey the site, sometimes before I even go into the main campground I do a walk around. I always like the owner of the campground there to advise where to put the trailer, as it is his campground and no sense me putting it somewhere and then having him come by and tell me to move it cause there are water lines or whatever under where I parked. My son helps alot too, making sure I don't back into something.

Actually the more I think about this a I type, the more I don't like campgrounds. Miserable eh???
There's a method to the madness, disturb the method and the madness begins.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Frank Henn on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:25 pm

Charles go to http://www.viprv.com check out the Tech-link system. I have those, and has been the answer to Janets pointing the radio in the direction of what ever neat package Frank
Frank and Janet Henn
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Return to General RV Discussion