Skip to content

Change font size

Another great dealer going under

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Another great dealer going under

Unread postby skipnchar on Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:13 pm

Topeka is loosing it's OLDEST RV dealership to the economic situation. I was talking to an employee this morning and he told me he sold thirty seven new units last year in May and this year He's sold six of t hem. Just not worth the constant battle to stay afloat so after forty nine years in business he's folding the tents. Selling everything at 20% discount and hopes to be closed for good within forty five days. It was kind of sad watching the new units being towed off by a line of trucks to (who knows where). That will leave us with just four dealers in town and one of those should be avoided by anyone with any sense. I'm sure there will be more of this kind of thing soon all over the place.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Another great dealer going under

Unread postby ralphthedog on Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:41 pm

That's interesting. We just bought a 2008 Jayco 28BHS, and the dealer we bought it from, can't keep units on the lot. They are selling them like mad.
2002 Dodge Ram Quad
2008 Jayco 28BHS
2007 Holy Cow Canoe Co. 16'6" Prospector
ralphthedog

Unread postby Zinger on Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:56 am

my dealer has also said that buisness is good and I think I have seen more trailers on the road this year than ever before.It is unfortunate to see people in a situation that they need to close down a long time buisness.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby jp rver on Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:42 am

I stopped at my dealer to ask about some dicor roof sealant a month ago, and the owner and the salesman were doing absolutely nothing when I stopped in. I drive by there on occasion, and don't see much activity. I hope they are doing okay, but I fear that business is very slow. 3 years ago when we purchased our then new TT, the lot was buzzing with activity.

Also, my parents just traded in a 2002 fiver on a 2008 TT at another local dealership. The dealer gave them a very good trade (actually gave them more for trade in than they were going to ask to sell it outright), and a very good price on the new trailer. They seemed very willing to deal, and obviously needed the business.

A sign of the times I guess. It is certainly a shame when someone has to close a business, especially one with a long history.

Update: 7-26-08

I stopped by the above dealer yesterday to have the Dometic refrigerator recall performed, and had a chat with the salesman. He said the dealership has sold only six trailers this month. He said they are okay financially right now, but he feels the future is very uncertain. Then a truck pulled onto the lot, and he jumped up and almost ran out the door to assist what he hoped was a potential customer.
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Return to General RV Discussion