Skip to content

Change font size

What's the dumbest thing you've done, or seen done?

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

What's the dumbest thing you've done, or seen done?

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:02 pm

I thought that it'd be fun to share some of those "Blonde Moments" we've all had while RV'ing.

A few of mine?

- Pulling into a campground with no water at the sites, getting all setup (leveled, unhitched, awning out, the whole nine yards) only to discover I forgot to fill the fresh water tank at the filling station on the way in.

- Having a complete brainfart and pulling into the dump station on the wrong side. (Of course, there's always someone else there to see your idiocy.. Heh)

- Running out of propane right in the middle of cooking breakfast. (Nothing quite like hearing that tick-tick-tick-tick of the fridge trying to relight itself when you know you just put bacon on the stove...)

As for the dumbest thing I've seen done by someone else?

Last summer we were at a CG a few hours from home. Directly across from our site there was a large group of what I'm going to assume was foreign students, clearly from overseas somewhere. I'm sure that a "True Canadian Camping Experience" must have been on their list of things to do, and after deciding that their picnic table constituted firewood (long story) it was clear that they were new to the whole thing.

Problem was that they used one of those huge blue tarps (the thing was monstrous, probably 30x50) to cover their entire campsite against the sun and approaching forecasted inclement weather - they had it tied to about 5 trees in their campsite, and the one next to them that they also occupied. Problem was, they didn't put anything in the middle of it to prevent it from becoming a huge swimming pool when the rain arrived. Which it did. Before they were able to untie some ropes I think it was about 2 feet deep in the middle of the tarp, with at least one fully-squashed tent in the middle of it. :D
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What's the dumbest thing you've done, or seen done?

Unread postby mikhen on Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:31 pm

On the way out the door, but I git a few I will post later. Gotta love this thread.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby Zinger on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:40 pm

A buddy of mine attached a bike rack to the rear of his trailer screws were in tin only he also had probably too many bikes on it ended up being flagged down he had dragged bikes and finally lost them went back and got them some damage of course he had to stop at next hardware store and buy hammer and nails to put tin back on trailer. His wife was really impressed!!
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Mikey on Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:30 am

I've done the silly things like leaving kid toys and boots on the roof of my car and driving around town. However, I'm certain I'll have a story pop into my head sometime. I'm just looking forward to Mikhen's when they get back :)
2008 Amerilite 23bw
Towed by a Silverado 2500 HD.
Other toys:CBR1100XX,EX500 ImageImage

Speed doesn't kill. Your wife finding out you got a ticket, does.
Mikey
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby mikhen on Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:53 am

I'll start with what I've seen....

-One Sunday morning while I was sitting out at the table enjoying my coffee and campfire pie, The folks next to me were packing up. The man got in the TV, it was a Chevy van, and the woman was inside the TT. Next thing you know, the van comes speeding back to the TT and crashes right into it. The tongue of the TT left a nice dent in the back door of the TV. And the best part, when this happened, the screams coming from the woman inside the TT were louder than the actually crash.

-One Friday evening at Mountain Vista, there was a family backing in a pop-up. Nice job backing up, and I'm not sure what happened, but when lowered the tongue jack, he never made sure the ball came loose. He got in the TV and attempted to pull front. He bent the tongue jack pretty bad, and replaced it Saturday morning.

No for my brain farts. I did both of these on Friday afternoons while preparing for a weekend trip.

-I always have the TT and TV ready to go before the DW gets home from work. So one time when I was backing up the TV to the hitch, I did a perfect job. Stopped at the right spot. Too bad when I got out to hitch up, I realized that I never put the hitch into the receiver.

-Before I start my last one, in my defense, I have bad allergies and my sense of smell isn't what it should be. Went for gas, beer and ice, came home, loaded the TV, hitched the TT and then I realized there was something dripping from the TV around the gas tank. Checked it, smelled like gas. Called the wife, told her the trip was off, we called friends trying to borrow a truck. Then I went to my neighbor who is a mechanic. He came over as I was pulling the guard off the gas tank. He confirmed there was something dripping. But he also informed me that its water. Seems that what I was smelling was the little bit of gas that overflowed and what was dripping was water in the bed of the truck. I bet I never do that again.

mikhen

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:36 am

Dumb comes in at least two flavors. Ive seen a few things in the category that wouldn't make anybody laugh, mostly around the dump stations but in the humorous category...

Watching a neighbor camper getting ready to break camp in a small motor home about 3 feet long. I was sitting under the awning enjoying a cool one while enjoying the show. I ALWAYS like watching someone else work. He and his wife were picking up patio carpet, lawn chairs, a small table, just the various stuff a person scatters around their campsite for a few days stay. One of the places they stored some of their outdoor stuff was in a rear compartment located behind the spare tire. They had the spare swung out to the side of the MH and the door open. Eventually they closed the door and started other things. Raising the jacks, lowering the antennae, that sort of stuff. His wife was inside the RV probably putting stuff away and getting that ready for travel.

Finally when it was almost time to go, the guy was making his final "walk around" a practice I've always endorsed. You could tell he was checking the roof "antennae down" and the wheel chocks "yep they're away and stowed", jacks were up, and looking around making sure nothing had been left around the campsite. When he came to the back of the RV he checked to make sure the rear storage compartment was closed and latched, stepped around the spare tire that was still swung out to the side, got in the RV and fired her up.

I STARTED to get up to run over and tell him he forgot the tire carrier but hesitated because I KNEW he had to see that because he'd actually placed his hand on it as he side stepped it. That hesitation was all it took for him to put it in gear and drive out of the site. I yelled at him but got no response as he made a left turn out of the campground with the tire still following 3 feet out to the right side. Just before he was out of site, I saw it strike one of the site marker posts which threw it back to the closed position.

I don't know if it did any damage to the carrier or the tire or the tire cover but it could just as easily have truck someones new truck parked along the road so I'd say he was also pretty lucky.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby jp rver on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:35 pm

I am sure I have many more dumb things I have done that just aren't coming to mind right now, (or I just don't want to admit to :oops: ) but one I will share is this. Once while unhitching the weight distribution bars I forgot to lower the tongue jack and take a little pressure off. Well, when that bar came loose the cheater pipe I use to engage and disengage the bars jerked out of my hand and crashed against my leg. It left a nasty bruise!
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:52 pm

I guess it's time I fess up to being stupid once in a while (at least). I had a 1972 model Terry Fan travel trailer, about 21 feet long and I had purchased it from a farmer close to a local lake where we often camped. It was in reasonably good shape and most everything worked. One of the BAD things about the trailer was that it had really rotten tires. Lots of tread and BADLY weather checked and I kind of held my breath as I towed it home (about 20 miles).

I decided that the first thing I needed to do was replace the tires so I figured I'd jack up one side, both axles at once and take them to a local tire dealer for new rubber. I KNEW better than to jack up the trailer BEFORE I broke the lugs loose, the trailer have been sitting for a couple of years in the farmers yard and everything was a bit rusty. I was unable to find my 4 way lug wrench but I DID have an L wrench that came with an old Chevy pick up and it fit the bolts.

Started trying to break the lugs loose but was just about bending the wrench and getting nowhere. I tried a rubber hammer but much too springy to do anything with it. Finally my superior brain kicked in and I put the lug wrench on the bolt and propped up the wrench right at the bend, on a rock. With this set up I could let go of the wrench and it stayed right where I'd put it. Now I pulled the truck up next to the trailer leaving about 3 feet between them, climbed up on the tail gate and jumped onto the wrench, KNOWING that my full weight would break t he lug loose. Now the springy feature of the wrench REALLY kicked in and the wrench snapped back up as my foot slipped off and whacked me right in the shin. To make a long boring story a bit shorter, I had a contusion on the shin that went to the bone. Speaking of bones...I also broke a small bone in my instep (bothers me to this day), destroyed my L wrench (no loss there cause I never wanted to SEE another one of those) and my dear wife got to hear me "SCREAM like a little girl".

Next day I LIMPED out to the truck and towed the trailer down to the tire store where their impact wrench popped them right loose at no extra charge.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Curmudgeon on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:30 am

I once watched a guy try to stoke his campfire with a gallon can of lantern fuel. He stood right next to the fire and poured fuel directly into the fire. Needless to say the fire followed the stream of fuel up to the can like electricty through a wire. Next thing you see is this guy with a big ball of flame on the end of his arm. Instead of dropping the can right there, where it would have burned out, he threw it into the woods against a nearby tree and there is now the beginnings of a forest fire. My truck and fire extinguisher were about a hundred yards away and I went sprinting off to get the extinguisher. By the time I got back enough people had gathered and were stomping out fire that it hadn't spread much and we got it put out. This occured in a state campground, and I believe Dimbulb and party were asked to leave the premises a short time later.
Curmudgeon

Unread postby LA_Bolt_Fan on Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:54 am

I did the dumbest thing ever on Sunday while mowing my lawn.....................I actually stepped on a rake and took a blow right to the side of the head!! :D I thought for a second I was in a cartoon!
Last edited by LA_Bolt_Fan on Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Backpacking one weekend, RV'ing the next!!
2007 Thor Summit 22rb
2000 Dodge Ram Van 2500 5.2L / 3.92 Gear
1 Beautiful Wife and 2 Happy Traveling Iguanas
San Diego SUPER Charger Fan
LA_Bolt_Fan

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:59 am

LA_Bolt_Fan wrote:I did the dumbest thing ever on Sunday while mowing my lawn.....................I actually stepped on a rake and took a blow right to the side of the head!! :D I thought for a second I was in a cartoon!

I'll admit to having done that before as well. Welcome to the forum, BTW!
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby mikhen on Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:54 pm

PrivatePilot wrote:
LA_Bolt_Fan wrote:I did the dumbest thing ever on Sunday while mowing my lawn.....................I actually stepped on a rake and took a blow right to the side of the head!! :D I thought for a second I was in a cartoon!

It's worse if the rake has a broken handle and only comes up to just below the waist.

mikhen

Unread postby hilldude on Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:44 pm

One of the fastest things in the world is a rake when stepped on.never been able to get out of the way.
hilldude

Unread postby Justardnck on Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:00 pm

How about driving around with your trailer brakes locking up because you never adjusted the gravity pendulum, thats it for now but rest assured I'm new to RVing so give it time and I'll be able to compete :lol:
2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD, extended cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.0L, 4:10 gears
2003 Forest River Flagstaff 25LB
No WD hitch or sway control. Primus brake controller
Justardnck
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:25 pm

Justardnck wrote:How about driving around with your trailer brakes locking up because you never adjusted the gravity pendulum, thats it for now but rest assured I'm new to RVing so give it time and I'll be able to compete :lol:

Hopefully none of them involve sewer hoses, gate valves, dump stations, or other sewage related accidents. ;-)

(I think all of us have had one sewage related "situation" in our RV'ing past, so don't feel bad if one happens. Heh)
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Limey on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:57 pm

When I was installing my JT stablizers a few months back, I was using a tarp on the ground to lie on because there was still some snow on the ground. I had done all the stabilizers with the exception of the one just behind the steps at the rear. I lifted up the tarp to 'flick' it under the steps and whacked my thumb right on a 1/2 inch square steel bar. Lost the nail and have not heard the end of t from my camping buddies!

BTW - I was also one of those dumbos who put some gasoline on a fire that would not start - only there was a small ember that HAD started. One fire extinguisher later I had it out. Very red faced, and again my buddies neve let me forget. Older and wiser now! :roll:

Whoo Hoo - made Member status with this post - I hate being 'new' at anything! :mrgreen:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Fire Instructor on Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:15 pm

Wanna know what happens when you dump a 32 gallon black tank into a 24 gallon tote without payoing attention?

Neever mind... It's a pretty crappy story...........
Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller

Fire Instructor
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Zinger on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:16 am

those totes dont expand?? :D must have been ugly :o
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:01 am

PrivatePilot wrote:

Been there too....ouch and a big ouch if someone is watching!

We were at a CG, just pulled in and getting settled. The guy next to us had his TT up on jacks...well, they should have been jacks but a couple were stumps. Got all the tires off the TT for some unknown reason, maybe to rotate or something but the next thing I see is him scrambling out from under the TT as it fell off the jacks and stumps. He spent the rest of the weekend trying to get it back up and get the tires back on. I asked when it happened if he wanted help, he said no as his wife stuck her head out the door to see what had happened. She and her kids were inside the whole time! 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:03 am

Fire Instructor wrote:Wanna know what happens when you dump a 32 gallon black tank into a 24 gallon tote without payoing attention?

That had to be fun.....NOT! 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby graywolf67 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:18 pm

One of my dumb moments was the very first day we brought the new tt home, put all the new stuff in and off to the storage which is cover, storage was 31 feet trailer is 30 feet , I hit the one corner of the trailer, it made me literally sick to my stomach, brand new trailer and already a dent I didn't even want to look, turned out to be nothing only I know where it is.

Another smelly moment, as usual part of my jobs outside when setting up is to hook up the sewer hose well I didn't notice but the sewer valve handle was pulled out just enough, I wasn't wearing my usaul latex gloves ,Yes it got all over my hands . I was so disgusted with myself and no amount washing my hands could the smell out and we were planning to eat hamburgers. :mrgreen:
2008 Ford F250 6.4PSD Zinger ZT26RL
graywolf67
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:07 am

graywolf67 wrote:One of my dumb moments was the very first day we brought the new tt home, put all the new stuff in and off to the storage which is cover, storage was 31 feet trailer is 30 feet , I hit the one corner of the trailer, it made me literally sick to my stomach, brand new trailer and already a dent I didn't even want to look, turned out to be nothing only I know where it is.

Another smelly moment, as usual part of my jobs outside when setting up is to hook up the sewer hose well I didn't notice but the sewer valve handle was pulled out just enough, I wasn't wearing my usaul latex gloves ,Yes it got all over my hands . I was so disgusted with myself and no amount washing my hands could the smell out and we were planning to eat hamburgers. :mrgreen:

I sat and watched a guy do the whole sewer thing without gloves, from hooked up to dump 2 days later...."forgetting" is one thing....but to do both without....yuck. 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby Retired Phone Man on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:22 am

Joined an RV Forum :mrgreen: Actually joined two. Can't get away from these things, its additive. :shock:
Retired Phone Man

Unread postby bamasurveyor on Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:26 am

Retired Phone Man wrote:Joined an RV Forum :mrgreen: Actually joined two. Can't get away from these things, its additive. :shock:

You've ONLY joined 2???!!
John 47
Ted 47
2006 Chevy Silverado LS Ext 4.8L 4:10 rear
2007 Surveyor SV291
bamasurveyor

Unread postby JBandMJ on Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:28 am

Watching a young couple (with set up manual in hand) trying to set up a new popup camper, after 15 minutes of arguing she turns her back to him and he gives her the one finger salute….she seen it. He packed up while she sat in the truck….my he R.I.P.
Jim & Marilyn
Mulvane, Kansas
2004 33 V Winnebago Adventure
JBandMJ

Unread postby Carolina Cruiser on Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:42 am

Yep, I knew I was not the only one to do something crazy. We had just traded from a hybrid to a much larger TT and were on the first trip with the new one. In the trading process; I went from the plastic wheel chocks to the metal between the wheel friction chocks. We get to the campground and start rushing around due to the rain. I put the chocks in and then my DW tells me we are not level. I take them out and put the legos down and wa la we are level side to side. See where this is going??? I put the stack of legos under the jack mash the button, get the equalizer bars undone, lower jack undo the coupler, mash the button and as soon as the coupler cleared the ball, holy crap, backwards the rig went. By the grace of the good lord, my last step in unhooking is to release the safty chains, so it only came off the legos and moved about a foot before the chains stopped it. It was pouring rain so if anyone saw what happened they never said a word. I can tell you it scared me silly. Even if I know I put the chocks in; I still look again to make sure before unhooking. We laugh about it now, but it could have been a lot worse than it was.

It is amazing what you will see happen during setup and tear down. We were at a campground sitting out under the awning relaxing after setup when this 36 foot fifth wheel being pulled by a crew cab 4500 comes rolling up. This campground had a lot of tight spots and trees. (state Park) You could see the scars on several of the trees where they had been hit multiple times. This guy made three or four attemps to back in to the spot but no matter what he did, this one pine tree about 4 inches around and peobably 15 foot high was in his way. all of a sudden he stops jumps out of the cab, opes a tool box on the bed, jerks out a chain saw and cuts the tree down right at the ground. He did not miss a beat. Fell the tree, got back in the cab and backed right on in. Went back sawed the tree up, stacked the wood, piled up the few limbs and set up his site. we kept waiting for a ranger to come by and say something but they never did. He did make good use of the wood though.
Carolina Cruiser

Unread postby skipnchar on Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:12 am

Wow I bet the neighbors got to enjoy THAT smoky fire also, burning that green wood. I'd be careful where you park cause he might just decide to plow your car off the road being too much trouble going around it :D

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby cougarlover on Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:43 pm

Fire Instructor wrote:Wanna know what happens when you dump a 32 gallon black tank into a 24 gallon tote without payoing attention?

crappy story... nice play on words, Made me laugh too

Wish I had something to add. guess we havent been camping long enough. This is a good thread for a newbie as well. I have learned not to use gas on a fire, watch out for rakes and to brush up on my math skills before dumping. :lol:

Thanks!!
nan
Nancy wife to Rob and mom to 3 beautiful girls
2 fur pals 4 year old Shih Tzu Dexter and recently adopted 1 year old Boxer Shreder

2007 Keystone Cougar BHS
2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500
cougarlover

Unread postby Cobra909 on Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:27 pm

For several years, we'd spend a month at our local CG over the 4th of July holidays. CG has a private boat launch. Every Saturday and Sunday afternoon, we'd set our chairs and ice chests on the hill above the boat launch. It was the rare occasion that we'd go to bed without our guts hurting from laughing so much. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Julie & Lynn Hanks
Bailey (Cocker Spaniel)
2007 Dodge 3500 CTD QC 4x4 Laramie
2007 Crossroads Cruiser 30SK
Cobra909

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:10 pm

Cobra909 wrote: CG has a private boat launch. . It was the rare occasion that we'd go to bed without our guts hurting from laughing so much. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have been trying hard to forget my "senior "moment last summer that happened because of our love for boating.We have 2 receivers,1 w/a 2" ball for our 21 ' boat trailer & the other is our 2 5/16 for our TT.

YUP,long story short,even w/440pounds of tougue weight ,smooth roads,& after driving 55 miles TT came off the 2" ball ,2 blocks from the marina campground.The TT meandered to the right ,2 wheels hitting & going over a 12" curb.TT missed a concrete lite pole by 1inch when we got stopped.

There is more to this story that i'll disuss under other topics.
Last edited by MCBOWERS on Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:59 pm

Cobra909 wrote:For several years, we'd spend a month at our local CG over the 4th of July holidays. CG has a private boat launch. Every Saturday and Sunday afternoon, we'd set our chairs and ice chests on the hill above the boat launch. It was the rare occasion that we'd go to bed without our guts hurting from laughing so much. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know what you mean but on the OTHER hand, I have a friend who operated a local marina catering to fairly large sailing craft on a local lake. He had a dummy trailer that was used to enable him to back large sailboats into the water deeply enough to float off of their carrier so the dummy trailer was about 25 feet long and the actual boat trailer or carrier was attached to the back of the dummy. This meant that he was essentially towing a double trailer that often would total well over 50 feet. He could back that outfit into the water at about 15 MPH and practically NEVER had to take a second pass to get it in. I actually BELIEVE he could have parallel parked that rig if necessary :D

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby graywolf67 on Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:02 pm

skipnchar wrote:
Cobra909 wrote:For several years, we'd spend a month at our local CG over the 4th of July holidays. CG has a private boat launch. Every Saturday and Sunday afternoon, we'd set our chairs and ice chests on the hill above the boat launch. It was the rare occasion that we'd go to bed without our guts hurting from laughing so much. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know what you mean but on the OTHER hand, I have a friend who operated a local marina catering to fairly large sailing craft on a local lake. He had a dummy trailer that was used to enable him to back large sailboats into the water deeply enough to float off of their carrier so the dummy trailer was about 25 feet long and the actual boat trailer or carrier was attached to the back of the dummy. This meant that he was essentially towing a double trailer that often would total well over 50 feet. He could back that outfit into the water at about 15 MPH and practically NEVER had to take a second pass to get it in. I actually BELIEVE he could have parallel parked that rig if necessary :D

awesome, I have seen Fedex drivers do the same with the semi plus 2 40 foot pups, I was impressed
2008 Ford F250 6.4PSD Zinger ZT26RL
graywolf67
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Limey on Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:23 pm

I backed up my double rig about 50ft last year, after I had a senior moment and forgot how long my rig was when I tried to pull out of the campground reservation area! - I was suprised how straight the boat stayed - but then I have a friction anti-sway bar on it (because I am anal) and it it kept it straight! Not something I would like to do every day. :roll:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ReedMan on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:00 am

Like many, I have done many of the same things that you have:

I've pulled away with the wheel chocks in place.
I've unhitched without puting the chocks on.
I've darn near lost a leg when unhooking the WD bars.
I've left the awning out when it rained.
I've run out of propane, water, food and patience.

But... I have a much better time watching other people do it!

Thanks for the stories guys. My cheeks hurt from laughing.
ReedMan, Wife, 3 Kids
TT - 2002 Flagstaff 25LB (Triple Bunks!)
TV - 2001 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3/3.73 Stepside
ReedMan

Unread postby csham on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:16 pm

I think that the best I have seen so far involved the tow vehicle.
A retired couple had set up their trailer parallel to the road on their site. Between the trailer and the road, they had a fire ring, firewood and the picnic table. When they pulled the TV into the site, they pulled straight in and to the right of the trailer. When it came time of them to go leave the site for anything, the man would back out between the trailer, fire ring and the picnic table instead of backing straight out, the way he went in. At one point, he had his wife open the door of the TV and watch the edge of the ring so that he didn't hit it. We thought for sure that the door was going to hit the picnic table.

Chris, Ruth, and our 3 girls - Samantha, Tara, and Erica
1999 Chevy Silverado Z71
2007 CrossRoads Sunset Trail ST30BH
csham

Unread postby lynlou14760 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:34 pm

We finally took the new Sierra out of the driveway and up to the camp yesterday afternoon. We checked in with the owners, then headed up to our seasonal site. We are in a fairly new section of the park that necessitate a 90 degree right turn, then a 110 (approx)degree right turn, followed by a left hand 180 degree turn, then a 90 degree turn into my sight.

I got out of the truck before the first turn, checked everything out and figured, "no sweat." I believe those can be considered famous last words! I forgot that the new 5er is a solid 10 feet longer than the old one, and proceeded around the first turn when I heard a neighbor hollering for me to stop. I had cut the turn too short and now had a tree resting fully against my new awning. Thank God I stopped in time to prevent any real damage. To make a long story short I was able to use a tie down strap to pull the offending tree off of the trailer by wrapping the strap around it and another tree. Then I simply backed off, straighted out, and proceeded to my camp site with my DW chirpping away in my ear.
Lynn & Louie McClure
2003 Chevy Duramax Crew Cab; 2008 Sierra 335QBQ
2 Golden Retrievers (who culdn't retrieve thier own food dish!)
lynlou14760

Unread postby skipnchar on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:44 pm

Some kind of STRANGE karma that this kind of thing ONLY happens with a brand new trailer :?:

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby lynlou14760 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:50 pm

skipnchar wrote:Some kind of STRANGE karma that this kind of thing ONLY happens with a brand new trailer :?:

Maybe that keeps us humble?
Lynn & Louie McClure
2003 Chevy Duramax Crew Cab; 2008 Sierra 335QBQ
2 Golden Retrievers (who culdn't retrieve thier own food dish!)
lynlou14760

Unread postby Fire Instructor on Sat May 17, 2008 1:37 pm

Well, I did one yesterday, which I discovered this morning, that I'm still laughing about....

Had just enough time after work yesterday to make a run out to Camping World before it closed (it's just over 45 mintes away). I had a couple of things to return, and the wife had a couple of things that she wanted to pick-up before Memorial Day Weekend. It was raining, I couldn't mow the lawn, so get the errand out of the way...

While looking around, they had a nice set of chrome wheel-covers which I thought would look MUCH better than the white plastic lug-nut covers that Rockwood had supplied.... So I picked up a pair.

This morning, I went to install them, and realized that I had bought a pair. They look REALLY good on the awnning side of the trailer! Maybe next week, sometime, I'll run back out there, and get a pair for the opposite side! :roll:
Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller

Fire Instructor
Established Member
Established Member

Return to General RV Discussion