Skip to content

Change font size

Pay showers..

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Pay showers..

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:33 pm

Just curious what everyones thoughts are on pay showers at campgrounds, and how prevalent are they actually?

Although we always use our TT's shower unless we're situated for multiple days without a sewer hookup (at which point grey tank capacity can be limiting) I happened to checkout the shower house at the private campground we were at this past weekend. I was surprised to see pay showers. Only 25 Cents (for an undetermined amount of time, though), but pay none the less.

My first thought was "Money gouge!", but then I remembered last summer at a few campgrounds seeing people impatiently waiting in line for a shower as all the stalls were full of kids using them as entertainment instead of their intended purpose. The pay part sure would solve that issue, I'd think?
User avatar
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:34 pm
Location: Courtice, Ontario, Canada

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby Abbenbroek on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:44 am

I am at a campsite right now where they charge one dollar for a 5 minute shower.
They have very nice clean shower rooms, lots of water, hot and cold.
I have no problem paying 1 dollar for this great service.
The camping fee is 125 dollars for 7 days, which is pretty good.
Includes all hook ups and wireless internet.
Abbenbroek
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:21 pm

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby Zinger on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:41 am

I would think it would keep the site rental fee down for everyone and the people who want showers pay extra.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Image
User avatar
Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: Buskirk NY

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby mikhen on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:53 am

We use the TT shower but I can see their point in charging a little.. $1 seems like the high limit but for 5 minutes that too much. We usually see .$25 charge for showers. On a recent camping trip we noticed the laundry facilities were free to use but you had to bring your own detergent.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

Image

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
User avatar
mikhen
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: oley, pa

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby Abbenbroek on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:19 pm

One dollar for a 5 minute shower is steep?
We travel around in 100.000,00 plus RV's, burn fuel at a rate of 1,40/liter and we can't pay 1,00 dollar for a shower?
I guess the camp owners should provide everything for free, fcol.
Do you realize that these people need to make money in order to stay in bussiness?
They pay wages, property taxes and maybe......just maybe.....they might want to buy an RV like we did. :D
Abbenbroek
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:21 pm

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:32 pm

Well said Abbenbroek,i fully agree.
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: VALENCIA CA

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby wintek on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:12 pm

In a campground / RV resort it should be included in the site cost. Especially if they advertise it as a feature of the park / resort. However I do not mind paying for a good clean shower. Some people will really abuse and requires lots of upkeep.
wintek
Established Member
Established Member
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:56 pm
Location: Shreveport, Louisiana

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby Zinger on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:29 pm

you re probably only payingt heat the water! gas and or electric arent cheap
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Image
User avatar
Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: Buskirk NY

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:24 pm

I'm kind of torn on it. For what campgrounds charge (~$40/Night around here) I'd expect that the facilities should all be free with the exception of the standard pay laundry. To charge extra for showers seems wrong in one respect as we are already paying (handsomely, at that) for the privilege of using the campground, but in another respect I understand that the reasoning is perhaps to offset some of the costs, and more then likely to avoid abuse from people (and mainly kids) who would abuse them.

I've nothing against campground owners making a fair living, but one must ask at what price point we should expect "all inclusive" to kick in. If everything additional (showers, laundry, recreational programs, etc etc etc) are going to be extra at a campground, would one not be realistic in expecting that the base fee for the campsite itself should be lower to start with?
User avatar
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:34 pm
Location: Courtice, Ontario, Canada

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby Terry on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:35 pm

If the CG is charging $5.00 a night for a site. I wouldn't mind paying $5.00 for a shower. But as long as they charge $25.00 to $50.00 a night. Then the shower better be included. What's next. Pay tolites :shock: Meters on the water, and electric hookup :roll: . Where does it stop?
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:16 am

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby Abbenbroek on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:51 pm

Terry wrote:If the CG is charging $5.00 a night for a site. I wouldn't mind paying $5.00 for a shower. But as long as they charge $25.00 to $50.00 a night. Then the shower better be included. What's next. Pay tolites :shock: Meters on the water, and electric hookup :roll: . Where does it stop?


Well, I can tell you where it stops.
It stops when campsite owners realize they can make more money turning their sites into gated retirement communities.
That's exactly whats happening in British Columbia. Up here we lost 40% of our campsites in the last 5 years to developers who find ways of turning these places into little goldmines.
It's all because travellers in 100,000.00 motorhomes are to cheap to pay for showers, etc.
It's a two way street folks, you need to pay for what you get.
Abbenbroek
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:21 pm

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby Zinger on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:06 pm

where we typicaly go http://www.abdeerrun.com/ showers are free but NY statecampgrounds (cheap sites) they are coin op. I dont think a couple of quarters for a shower are a big deal but I always use the trailer bathroom i am already paying for it.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Image
User avatar
Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: Buskirk NY

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:26 pm

Abbenbroek wrote:It's all because travellers in 100,000.00 motorhomes are to cheap to pay for showers,


Perhaps the fact that they can afford a $100,000 motorhome shouldn't make them seem cheap when they still look for value in their travels? If they drive 55 instead of 75 to get better fuel milage, are they being "cheap", or simply being frugal/wise?

Maybe their frugality all their lives is what made them capable of affording a $100,000 motorhome to begin with.

Again, it comes back to the viewpoint of paying a hefty sum for a campsite, and then having to pay more for extras. One example that sticks in my mind was when we stayed at the Niagara Falls Jellystone Park - more then $60 for the night (for a postage stamp sized lot) and then they wanted us to pay $10 per kid extra to take part in the activities the next morning.
User avatar
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:34 pm
Location: Courtice, Ontario, Canada

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby Terry on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:19 pm

Abbenbroek wrote:
Terry wrote:If the CG is charging $5.00 a night for a site. I wouldn't mind paying $5.00 for a shower. But as long as they charge $25.00 to $50.00 a night. Then the shower better be included. What's next. Pay tolites :shock: Meters on the water, and electric hookup :roll: . Where does it stop?


Well, I can tell you where it stops.
It stops when campsite owners realize they can make more money turning their sites into gated retirement communities.
That's exactly whats happening in British Columbia. Up here we lost 40% of our campsites in the last 5 years to developers who find ways of turning these places into little goldmines.
It's all because travellers in 100,000.00 motorhomes are to cheap to pay for showers, etc.
It's a two way street folks, you need to pay for what you get.


Don't mind paying for what I get. And when I pay for a site in a CG. I expect to be able to use the facilities. I expect to be able to have full use of the bath house. I expect to be able to use the playground. I expect access to the beach if there is one. I expect to be able to swim in the pool, If there is one. I Expect to be able to fish in the river, or pond. If I am paying to stay in the CG. I expect to be able to use it all. I expect it to be included in the site rental.
It certainly is a 2 way street. They meet my expectations, Or I don't go there. Could that be the real reason y'all lost so many CGs? Trying to soak the customers.

Down here. The CGs are pretty well gold mines in themselves.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:16 am

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby mikhen on Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:46 am

There are a few CG's near here that charge a $6 per nite resort fee, and showers are $2. I don't know if the resort fee is a law, although most CG's don't charge it, but what is the $6 for?? Base rate is $50-$60, plus the $6, plus everything you do is extra. Exercise room is even an extra $5.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

Image

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
User avatar
mikhen
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: oley, pa

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby catmom on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:23 am

We have done most of our camping in the Midwest, and some in the Rockies, so when we do take trips east, we have found that the extra charges (such as for showers) are somewhat more prevalent there than out here. Haven't run across a "resort fee" yet.

Just hope the CGs aren't taking a page from the airlines' book: nickel & dime 'em to death! If it really costs them more for water (or heating it), etc., then add it to the camping fee.
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
User avatar
catmom
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby BAJA X on Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:25 pm

We normally use ours in the camper unless we are really muddy then I'll pay the dollar so we can keep our shower clean, usually the campgrounds we go to they are only one dollar and they clean them everyday and night just because a lot of atvers use them.
2008 F-350 V-10 Crew Cab Lariat S/Duty 4X4
2008 XT30SB CrossRoads CrossForce
2004 DS650 Baja x
2004 Outlander 400XT
1989 H.D. Springer Softail
User avatar
BAJA X
Member
Member
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:57 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:58 pm

catmom wrote:

Just hope the CGs aren't taking a page from the airlines' book: nickel & dime 'em to death! If it really costs them more for water (or heating it), etc., then add it to the camping fee.


I worked for Trans World Airlines for 37 years untill we couldn't survive our 4'th BANKRUPSY in 02.We added it to the ticket FEE,but we still couldn't survive. If you have noticed 5 airlines have gone out of business this year & many,many more have folded since the 70's.

The campgrounds are doing us a favor by not including some extras as the daily FEE.Some folks wood complain that they are having to pay for things they don't use!

I'll bet we will see many campgrounds forced out of business because of fuel costs keeping many of us home,just like the airlines.
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: VALENCIA CA

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby csham on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:56 am

Should fees for all of the CG amenities be bundled into my site fee? I say no! I would rather pay less for a campsite and have the fees for showers, fishing, mini-golf, pool, etc. I have a shower in the TT and we do use it. Why would I want to pay for something twice? If the CG owners add all of the extras into the site fee, they are going to be charging me for things that I don't use.
As an example, I will stay at a CG when going to an amusement park. They already charge more (just like hotels) because of the convenience of being close to the park. I arrive at the CG, set up my trailer, and go to the park for the day. We return when the park closes, shower in the TT, and go to bed. Next morning, we eat breakfast and repeat the cycle.

It could be a whole other topic, but I also don't understand the extra person charge. How much more does it really cost the CG owner if I have 5 people in my TT instead of 4? I still only use 1 campsite and the same amount of electircity to run the A/C and lights. The only extra use I can think of would be in the amount of water I use.
Image

Chris, Ruth, and our 3 girls - Samantha, Tara, and Erica
1999 Chevy Silverado Z71
2007 CrossRoads Sunset Trail ST30BH
User avatar
csham
Member
Member
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:23 am
Location: New Kensington, Pennsylvania

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:02 pm

MCBOWERS wrote:The campgrounds are doing us a favor by not including some extras as the daily FEE..


Around here I've seen no reduction in prices in campgrounds that have added more features at an additional cost, so I'm not sure if that logic holds true. The prices have stayed the same, but the extras now cost additional.
User avatar
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:34 pm
Location: Courtice, Ontario, Canada

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby skipnchar on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:03 pm

csham wrote:Should fees for all of the CG amenities be bundled into my site fee? I say no! I would rather pay less for a campsite and have the fees for showers, fishing, mini-golf, pool, etc. I have a shower in the TT and we do use it. Why would I want to pay for something twice?

I couldn't agree with you more. Actually I feel that way about MOST of the "add on" fees sometimes used. If a park DOESN'T make folks with 8 or 10 people in their group pay MORE then I feel like I'M being overcharged for just DW and me when we camp there. I don't actually figure things out that way when I check in, just go by the rate compared to what I've paid in OTHER places but still that IS what it amounts to when everything is built into one fee.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

Image
User avatar
skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:20 am
Location: Topeka Kansas

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:17 pm

skipnchar wrote: just go by the rate compared to what I've paid in OTHER places but still that IS what it amounts to when everything is built into one fee.



Please explain this "logic" to the boss .I'm afraid "he" doesn't get it!!!
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: VALENCIA CA

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby Zinger on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:22 pm

csham wrote:
Should fees for all of the CG amenities be bundled into my site fee? I say no! I would rather pay less for a campsite and have the fees for showers, fishing, mini-golf, pool, etc. I have a shower in the TT and we do use it. Why would I want to pay for something twice? If the CG owners add all of the extras into the site fee, they are going to be charging me for things that I don't use.
As an example, I will stay at a CG when going to an amusement park. They already charge more (just like hotels) because of the convenience of being close to the park. I arrive at the CG, set up my trailer, and go to the park for the day. We return when the park closes, shower in the TT, and go to bed. Next morning, we eat breakfast and repeat the cycle.

It could be a whole other topic, but I also don't understand the extra person charge. How much more does it really cost the CG owner if I have 5 people in my TT instead of 4? I still only use 1 campsite and the same amount of electircity to run the A/C and lights. The only extra use I can think of would be in the amount of water I use.


I couldnt agree more.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Image
User avatar
Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: Buskirk NY

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby Abbenbroek on Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:45 pm

Terry wrote:
Abbenbroek wrote:
Terry wrote:If the CG is charging $5.00 a night for a site. I wouldn't mind paying $5.00 for a shower. But as long as they charge $25.00 to $50.00 a night. Then the shower better be included. What's next. Pay tolites :shock: Meters on the water, and electric hookup :roll: . Where does it stop?


Well, I can tell you where it stops.
It stops when campsite owners realize they can make more money turning their sites into gated retirement communities.
That's exactly whats happening in British Columbia. Up here we lost 40% of our campsites in the last 5 years to developers who find ways of turning these places into little goldmines.
It's all because travellers in 100,000.00 motorhomes are to cheap to pay for showers, etc.
It's a two way street folks, you need to pay for what you get.


Don't mind paying for what I get. And when I pay for a site in a CG. I expect to be able to use the facilities. I expect to be able to have full use of the bath house. I expect to be able to use the playground. I expect access to the beach if there is one. I expect to be able to swim in the pool, If there is one. I Expect to be able to fish in the river, or pond. If I am paying to stay in the CG. I expect to be able to use it all. I expect it to be included in the site rental.
It certainly is a 2 way street. They meet my expectations, Or I don't go there. Could that be the real reason y'all lost so many CGs? Trying to soak the customers.

Down here. The CGs are pretty well gold mines in themselves.


What you need is not a campsite, you need an amusement park.
Abbenbroek
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:21 pm

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:08 pm

LOL.
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: VALENCIA CA

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby hilldude on Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:52 pm

Many years ago while camping at grand canyon. shower was a quarter, my first thought was where can I get one of those for daughters shower.but decided it would not help.I would have had to supply the quarters.it does save water.
User avatar
hilldude
Member
Member
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:50 am
Location: Red House WV

Re: Pay showers..

Unread postby Terry on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:25 am

[quote="Abbenbroek"

What you need is not a campsite, you need an amusement park.[/quote]

Nope. all I need is a site on a river in the mountains, or on the beach. With access to the bath house. Which I have at every CG I have ever been to. Most of the CGs we go to don't have pools, much less a waterpark. But they do have bath houses, that are included in the site rental. Oh, and they have rivers, beaches, or ponds. that we also don't have to pay extra for.

Can I take it by your post. you don't expect the Cg to meet your expectations? I guess it is just different down here.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:16 am


Return to General RV Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Up Login   Register Up
cron