Skip to content

Change font size

Do you carry extra fuel?

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Do you carry extra fuel?

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:03 pm

I guess if we're camping close to home and know the area, extra fuel is not really necessary. This summer we're off to Colorado so most of the roads will be completely unfamiliar to me. I think I'll bring my 3 gallon jerry can along for the trip just in case. Our route will take us through Montana and Wyoming, which although inhabited (They are inhabited aren't they? :D ), fuel stations may be somewhat sparse. Do I need to be concerned? I only get about 10 MPG while towing and not knowing where the fuel stops are has me slightly worried. But only very slightly.
There is no such thing as a bad day camping.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Do you carry extra fuel?

Unread postby dalenoel on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:22 pm

We were thinking about this when we started planning to go around Lake Superior. The main reason was cheaper fuel in the States. Then I found out you cannot take extra gasoline, in cans, into Canada.

There won't be any problems like that for you between states but might at the border.
04 Dodge RAM Quad Crew Cab 4x4
08 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
Hensley Arrow
Prodigy Controller
Wife and I, Oreo the Malshi, and maybe a grandkid or two
dalenoel

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:45 pm

I bought two 20-liter jerry cans for our trip out west this summer - in reality that only gives me about a 200-250 Kilometer reserve, but I figure that if I've got into a situation where I've run low on fuel and need the jerry cans it's safe to assume that within 200 kilometers I'm going to run into a fuel station with diesel.

We're not going too far off the beaten path at any point in the trip so I'm carrying the cans more for the ability to be able to pass less populated areas where diesel is going to be stupidly priced, and make it further down the road to a place where fuel is more reasonably priced.

As for carrying fuel back across the border in jerry cans, I don't think that there are any specific rules against it but there are limits on how much - you can't carry more then 1000 Pounds of fuel (not an issue with jerry cans) without a hazardous material license and placards and I think that there is a limit on value beyond which you pay quite alot of duty/taxes.

I personally fully intend on buying a full tank in Sarnia just before crossing back into Canada, and filling both of my jerry cans as well. I expect no hassle on the Canadian side whatsoever - reserve fuel is reserve fuel IMHO, and I can't imagine that they'd prevent people (especially ones with small tanks pulling big trailers) from carrying a safety reserve.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby skipnchar on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:10 pm

We've spent a LOT of time in that part of the country and found fuel readily available. My 35 gallon fuel tank is all I've ever needed to keep my 8 MPG guzzler satisfied :D
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby catmom on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:30 pm

That's good to hear. We're crossing Wyoming later this summer at about 9 mpg, with a 26-gal tank. I figure we'll fill up pretty much every town and truck stop!
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby mountainman on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:50 pm

In the past I have only carried enough extra fuel for my Honda 2000, about 2 gals. However the fuel stop near the campground we often visit has gone out of business and this would require that I drive to Walden, Co to refuel which is about 30 miles in the wrong direction. I generally don't refuel but if I want to do some 4 wheeling while camping I would put on an extra 10 gallons or so just to be certain I would have more than adequate on the way home. I also have a 26 gallon tank which is one of the dumbest thing GM ever did so hence all of the above planning is required. In any case I now carry my 2 gallons for the generator plus another 5 gallons for "just in case".
Life is a Journey and only you hold the map!
mountainman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby ButteBumBob on Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:00 am

I usually carry 5 gallons of diesel for the truck and 3 gallons of gas for my Honda generator twins.
2004 Crossroads Cruiser 29rk
2004 GMC Sierra, crewcab,SB,4x4,Duramax/Allison
1973 Seeker travel trailer (for the short trips)

ButteBumBob
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby BAJA X on Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:29 pm

Whats nice about our toy hauler I have a 28 gallon fuel station in it so any left over gas from the atv's will then go in the truck, and if the truck is low on a trip I can pump it into the truck.
2008 F-350 V-10 Crew Cab Lariat S/Duty 4X4
2008 XT30SB CrossRoads CrossForce
2004 DS650 Baja x
2004 Outlander 400XT
1989 H.D. Springer Softail
BAJA X

Unread postby pawatt on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:26 pm

We seldom let our tank go below 1/2 full but don't carry extra fuel.
pawatt

Unread postby Filthy Beast on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:24 am

I try to keep the generator full which hold close to 4 gallons and I have a at least partially full 5 gallon gas can. I have only been close to needing it once.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
4X4 Extended cab
6.6L Duramax, Allison Trans
2005 Rockwood 8280SS 5er
Filthy Beast

Unread postby skipnchar on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:06 pm

pawatt wrote:We seldom let our tank go below 1/2 full but don't carry extra fuel.

ANOTHER big advantage to that system is that I can actually AFFORD to buy a half tank of gas :mrgreen: Good to see you here pawatt.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby chevman on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:33 pm

Yes we carry 55 gallons in our inbed fuel tank. We really enjoy what it does for us. I haven't noticed any change in fuel mileage either. 05 2wd 3500 CC duramax dually. chevman :D
chevman

Return to General RV Discussion