Skip to content

Change font size

How Long Have You Been Camping

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

How Long Have You Been Camping

Unread postby Zinger on Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:30 pm

As a kid we did tent and leanto.
This is our third year with trailer
1st year new fleetwood pup no bathroom
2nd year sunline 2384 too small
this year 2008 ZT 260 BH just right (for now)
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: How Long Have You Been Camping

Unread postby skipnchar on Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:40 pm

My first RVing experience was in 1957 in my parents 17 foot Go-Lite Lark travel trailer. We took a trip to Yellowstone and left the morning of the big earthquake close to Fishing Bridge. We didn't hear of the quake until we got back home two later.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby cougarlover on Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:53 pm

I camped once or twice growing up with friends. We want to make memories with our kids. We bought our TT last year but unfortunetly were only able to take it out 2 times due to a pretty rough pregnancy. Plan to make it up this year. :D

So we are pretty green. I have learned a ton on rv.net and now here. I really dont know what I would have done with out you all's advice.

ttfn
Nan
Nancy wife to Rob and mom to 3 beautiful girls
2 fur pals 4 year old Shih Tzu Dexter and recently adopted 1 year old Boxer Shreder

2007 Keystone Cougar BHS
2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500
cougarlover

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:46 pm

I've been camping since day 1 with my parents initially...they had a huge land-yacht they used to tow around all over the place. I vaguely remember traveling in it as I was really young.

At about the age of 5 or 6 my parents started a private park which still exists today. It's small (only 16 lots then, and still 16 lots today) but it's fairly exclusive, open all year, and has quite a few ammenities for the membership. They sold the TT and bought a park model and were members there for over 20 years.

My parents sold their share and got out of RV'ing entirely about 10 years back when they reached their elderly years.

I started my own personal RV'ing about 15 years ago with the (assisted) purchase of a 14' Triple-E that was small, but had everything other then a bathroom, and would sleep 5. Had a ball, travelled alot.

I dropped out of RV'ing completely for a number of years simply because my career kept me away from home so much that there was simply no time, however we got back into it in a big way in the last few years.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby kilbrider on Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:08 pm

Always went to my folks cabin when growing up. DW and I bought a pop up when we were first married ( 30 years ago)
and used it for a couple of years until we started having kids. We then got out of it for a long time until we built our own cabin. Kept that for five or six years but decided we didn't like going to the same place every weekend. We remembered the fun we used to have camping in the old pop up, so we sold the cabin and bought our first TT last year. Absolutely no regrets. We love every minute of it.

Well maybe one regret, the kids have both grown and moved out so we didn't get to share the experience with them. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait for them to have kids so we can drag the grandkids along !!
Leah & Cliff ( just us)
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280WS
2015 Ford F250 XLT, 4X4
kilbrider

Unread postby dalenoel on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:15 pm

Started as a kid of around 5 or 6, 1952 or 1953, and then in tents, popups, back of the station wagon. When I got married went from back of the pickup, in the boat, tents, popups, Class A, then a C, back to tents, and now a TT. I guess I've run the full gamut except large A's. 55 years total and loved every minute of it. Most of the time we stayed in Michigan and still can remember most of the parks.
04 Dodge RAM Quad Crew Cab 4x4
08 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
Hensley Arrow
Prodigy Controller
Wife and I, Oreo the Malshi, and maybe a grandkid or two
dalenoel

Unread postby Zinger on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:20 pm

dalenoel wrote:Started as a kid of around 5 or 6, 1952 or 1953, and then in tents, popups, back of the station wagon. When I got married went from back of the pickup, in the boat, tents, popups, Class A, then a C, back to tents, and now a TT. I guess I've run the full gamut except large A's. 55 years total and loved every minute of it. Most of the time we stayed in Michigan and still can remember most of the parks.

what one was your favorite and why?
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Fire Instructor on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:59 pm

My entire childhood, with my parents. Got my wife to go camping for the fist time in 1987 or '88 (after being a married for 10 years). Borrowed my parents old tent-camper (no hard roof, just opened up to all canvas) for the first two years, then bought a used Palomino PUP from a friend who had just purchased a summer home. Sold that in '98 and bought a new Jayco 12UDST PUP. In early 2006 we bought our "last" trailer (or so we thought), a Jayco 21J HTT. Well, that plan lasted two years, and we've now got a 2008 Rockwood 2607 on order... http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/floorplanview.asp?name=18&page=rk&series=7WideTT . It's due in any day now...

Now that the kids aren't traveling with us much anymore, we are taking longer and further trips, so we wanted to go to a hardside, so that we could easily do an overnight while in transit with minimal set-up and take-down, The HTT didn't really allow for that. PLUS, the 2607 has the advantage of a HUMAN SIZE shower stall! No more trying to take a shower while standing inside of a straw!

Over the years, we've camped in NY, MA, CT, NH, ME, PA, NJ, VA, MD, and DE over the years. We try to get to one or two NA$CAR races a year (last year we camped at Dover and in 2006 in Loudon for the races), we make a trip every two years to our favorite campground: Assateague State Park, MD, and then on the "other" year we try to go somewhere we have never been... Last year we camped just outside of Washington DC.

BTW- This is my first post on this forum. It looks like you have the makings of a pretty good site, here!
Last edited by Fire Instructor on Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller

Fire Instructor
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Zinger on Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:06 pm

you found us, good luck on the new TT
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Fire Instructor on Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:13 pm

Yea, I got your email last night, but I was teaching in Montour Falls this weekend, so I just got home a couple of hours ago, and finally had an opportunty to check-out the forum. Thanks for letting me know about it, Greg!

BTW - I've got a reservation for our "shake-down" with the new TT in your area, just over the border in VT. "Camping on the Battenkill". After we made the reservation, I found out that there's a "bunch" from Station 19 that will also be there the same weekend, and I've always gotten along great with that bunch. Should be interesting.....
Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller

Fire Instructor
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby jp rver on Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:19 am

I believe I started sometime during the year 1973. I also happen to have been born that year as well. :D

My first memory is an old blue tent. Then we had a slide in camper, then a camper shell, I had a pup tent, then the parents got their first TT in the late 80s.

The wife and I started our own adventures in a dome tent, then a popup, then a TT, then a popup, and now back to a TT. We hope this is our last one, and we have had it since 2005 and still love it, so it just might be!
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby dalenoel on Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:30 am

Zinger wrote:
dalenoel wrote:Started as a kid of around 5 or 6, 1952 or 1953, and then in tents, popups, back of the station wagon. When I got married went from back of the pickup, in the boat, tents, popups, Class A, then a C, back to tents, and now a TT. I guess I've run the full gamut except large A's. 55 years total and loved every minute of it. Most of the time we stayed in Michigan and still can remember most of the parks.

what one was your favorite and why?

A favorite and why is a moving target. The pickup and boat were before kids while tents and pups were fun when I didn't mind the work involved. The kids loved it yet they never saw what we did so they could have fun.

Class A was a bunk Southwind, 1977, that porpoised on bumps and was not fun to drive. We still did not have much money but it was fun for awhile.

The C was after all but one of the boys had left and at 24 ft. was perfect for trips. Got rid of it 4 years ago when we moved and didn't think it could be stored at the house. Back to tents for a year but found that was not going to work. Bathroom was too far away and my back did not like the ground.

Now the latest trailer, 08 Eagle 322FKS, is perfect. I'm ready to retire, g'kids can come occasionally, don't feel like we are lacking anything.

Looking back I feel that each step was perfect for that time. So, they all were a favorite for a different reason, at a different time in my life. Hope that answered the questions but I don't think it did. There is no one perfect mode for all stages of life.
04 Dodge RAM Quad Crew Cab 4x4
08 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
Hensley Arrow
Prodigy Controller
Wife and I, Oreo the Malshi, and maybe a grandkid or two
dalenoel

Unread postby cougarlover on Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:24 pm

[quote="jp rver"]I believe I started sometime during the year 1973. I also happen to have been born that year as well. :D

hehe... When I read the first part of your sentence I thought haha I was born that year. Then I read the second part and had a laugh.

Nan
Nancy wife to Rob and mom to 3 beautiful girls
2 fur pals 4 year old Shih Tzu Dexter and recently adopted 1 year old Boxer Shreder

2007 Keystone Cougar BHS
2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500
cougarlover

Unread postby Rough2000 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:09 pm

Boy Scouts in the early fifties. Uncle Sam...US Army during the early to mid 60's
Had a PUP duing the 70's and camped with the kids. got away from it until about two
years ago when we got the TT. Don't know why I stayed away so long. :?:
2006 Dodge Mega Cab w/ Cummins
"Real Trucks don't have Spark Plugs"
2009 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
What you said, what you thought you said and what I thought you said are THREE different things.
Rough2000
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Frank Henn on Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:02 pm

I started with Mother and Father in 1954 We had the state of the Art Umbrella Tent would sleep all five of us. As a teen went the boy scout route and had a jungle hammock. Then in the Mid 60's the U.S. Army called those pup tents were really bad. Tried a motor home in the mid 70's that adventure made Robin Williams RV just a picker. The Bride told me that she now considered roughing it a Holiday Inn with black and white TV. I was a Scout Master in the 80<s did a lot of camping with the boys for 10 years. After my first wife joined God in 1991 I bought a little converted utility trailer for me and the dog. Janet joined us in 2002 and I wanted to upgrade to a tear Drop. That grew into a 25 foot Zinger no slide. But it was self contained. Last fall we went to the dealer to buy a couple of parts and ended up with our Cruiser fifth wheel. I still do not understand where my Tear drop went to :D :D :D :oops: :oops:
Frank and Janet Henn
with Hoover the Wonder Dog Now introducing Rainbow the wonder puppy
2008 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL
pushing a 2005 Dodge 2500 CDT
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:14 pm

I still do not understand where my Tear drop went to

I don't think you need cry about that progression. Cruiser is a REAL nice improvement :D

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby hogcall on Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:30 pm

As a kid we camped a few times a year with a tent or just under the stars. A few years ago we tried the tent thing once with our kids. Once was enough straight to the dealer for a new popup. We really enjoyed our little setup for a while about three years. We got a little older and had a reason or two to buy a TT (bathroom). This is our second season in our Jayco 254 and we are enjoying it.
hogcall

Unread postby Zinger on Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:14 pm

Fire Instructor wrote:Yea, I got your email last night, but I was teaching in Montour Falls this weekend, so I just got home a couple of hours ago, and finally had an opportunty to check-out the forum. Thanks for letting me know about it, Greg!

BTW - I've got a reservation for our "shake-down" with the new TT in your area, just over the border in VT. "Camping on the Battenkill". After we made the reservation, I found out that there's a "bunch" from Station 19 that will also be there the same weekend, and I've always gotten along great with that bunch. Should be interesting.....

I know that is Erins campground of choice we havent been there we are kind of partial to Deer Run
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:29 pm

The first camping that I can remember was in 1967 in a pop up that my dad built. We dragged that thing all the way across Western Canada, from Manitoba to Vancouver Island. We camped for about 4 years in that trailer, then dad built a rather rustic cabin about 60 miles from home and the pop up became a utility trailer. I did a lot of tent camping in my teen years in Scouts, but I got away from it for a few years while trying to make it on my own.
After we got married and and were blessed with 2 little boys, friends of ours (A lot of them) kept bugging us to come camping with them. We had a Ford Windstar van at the time and we weren't really in a position to buy a larger vehicle at the time so we bought a brand new 2004 Fleetwood Tacoma pop up and went camping. We camped 2 full seasons with the Tacoma, but the Windstar had gotten totalled and we bought a truck. DW said that I always wanted a truck and it was easy to justify now that we might some day want to upgrade to a travel trailer.
That's about the same time I joined "the other forum" and started researching TT's. I spent about a year and a half looking for just the right trailer. Finally I found our current unit, a Pilgrim Lite 27LBH (Now called 27PBH). DW always said that I talked her into it and I probably did, but now that we've done 2 seasons with it, she loves it. The kids do too. Just today, my 6 year old son said to me "I can't wait for summer, cause we get to go camping" That alone makes it all worthwhile.
There is no such thing as a bad day camping.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby JQSpree on Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:34 pm

Wow, where to begin. Started camping in 1956 with my parents, brother and sister, 56 Chevy wagon, one wheeled trailer and a tent. My dad was a "rockhound" so we spent countless "vacations" out in the middle of nowhere from Calif to Nevada, Arizona, Utah looking for precious stones to polish, collect and make jewelry from.

We started our own camping not long after getting married with trips around Spain where we were stationed. Then back to CA where we tent camped with out two boys and no money. Used a friends Starcraft tent trailer for a few trips including one down Hwy 50, the loniest hwy in america to all the indian reserv and inlaws in Okla. As kids got older and didn't want to go we took a few trips ourselves to Canada, Baniff, Jasper, Glacier and Yellowstone.

Finally bought our 1st rv this January or wife wasn't going!!!
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby JQSpree on Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:34 pm

Wow, where to begin. Started camping in 1956 with my parents, brother and sister, 56 Chevy wagon, one wheeled trailer and a tent. My dad was a "rockhound" so we spent countless "vacations" out in the middle of nowhere from Calif to Nevada, Arizona, Utah looking for precious stones to polish, collect and make jewelry from.

We started our own camping not long after getting married with trips around Spain where we were stationed. Then back to CA where we tent camped with out two boys and no money. Used a friends Starcraft tent trailer for a few trips including one down Hwy 50, the loniest hwy in america to all the indian reserv and inlaws in Okla. As kids got older and didn't want to go we took a few trips ourselves to Canada, Baniff, Jasper, Glacier and Yellowstone.

Finally bought our 1st rv this January or wife wasn't going!!!
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby mikhen on Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:59 pm

Officially and with an RV, starting our 3rd year. Plenty experience in the backyard and the summer place. DW camped as a kid and I knew we had to start.

PS. You will see me mention DW often and I will also mention we aren't officially married. We consider ourselves married and will make it official this September at Twin Grove Campground.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby skipnchar on Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:37 pm

Congratulations in advance and what a great place for a wedding. Good luck / Skip

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby mountainman on Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:00 pm

We purchased our first camping trailer in 1959. It was a 1953 Mercury 15' with limited accessories, like no bathroom although we did have propane lighting. We had great time in this unit while the children were young and the wife like it much better than the tent!
Here is a picture of that unit. Guess I was too anxious to include my spouse and children rather than showing the entire trailer.
Attachments
Marian,Jeff,Marla 1964 (Small).jpg
Life is a Journey and only you hold the map!
mountainman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Justardnck on Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:38 pm

I've camped lots over the years, starting in tents then to friends pop ups but this is the first TT I've owned
2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD, extended cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.0L, 4:10 gears
2003 Forest River Flagstaff 25LB
No WD hitch or sway control. Primus brake controller
Justardnck
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:10 pm

Did a little pop up and tent camping as a young man. My Grandparents owned a rustic place on a nice lake it was almost camping. Did that every year in the summer that I have memory of, until I was married. Got in heavy in 93 or so and have never looked back. I am always seeking a way to go again and juggle work.
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby Ratherbhoteling on Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:42 pm

I guess I too have been camping since birth. My parents/grandparents all camped and I was a tag a long for many early years experiences...
As a pre-teen my parents had a classic brown and orange 22 ft. something or another that was parked permanently...as a teen I became a regular cottager, so camping was just not on the radar for me....and since then I have been a spoiled, expensive hotel/resort type until finally giving and joining Mark on some borrowed and then rented RV/TT trips and now owning our own....I like the bathroom feature and having a bed and a safe place to sleep, as well as not having to worry about exposures (I have anaphylactic Rubber/latex allergy).
Our first camping trip together was when our daughter was about 3 months old, and she was relocated to sleeping in an emptied out suitcase when the new daddy forgot her bassinet and travel crib/playpen.
I am looking forward to the added space and potential of the new trailer and our trip out West this summer...but I am still a resort type at heart!
Ratherbhoteling

Unread postby Retired Phone Man on Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:15 am

Started in 1966 when I lived in San Diego (South Mission Beach) with a tent and friends converted panel truck. In 1968 got a Toyota Land Crusher FJ-40 and camped in the back of it. Ran the deserts of So Cal and Baja. Moved back to Louisiana in 1971 and got away from it. Last year I retired and got a TT and started RVing.
Retired Phone Man

Unread postby Limey on Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:15 pm

I actually started in England in 1949, the year I was born. My family had a caravan (TT) on the south Devon coast in England and I grew up there every summer for 18 years. In my 20's and 30's I tent camped all over southern Britain, but never managed to get together enough to buy a TT. I moved to the US in 1988 and it took a while to get established financially! The urge became too great about 4 years ago and I bought a Jayflight TT. last year we switched to a Coachmen Chapparel 5er and am now totally hooked again. Have the boat now, too - so most of our camping is done near a lake.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby BAJA X on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:45 pm

Hello everyone, new to this site, so far from what Ive read its one of the best. I started camping with my parents in 1971. My wife and I bought our first TT in 2003 and upgraded to a bigger one last year, we have a toy-hauler and do a lot of atving in Wis. camping is I think the best way to meet some fun and interesting people.
2008 F-350 V-10 Crew Cab Lariat S/Duty 4X4
2008 XT30SB CrossRoads CrossForce
2004 DS650 Baja x
2004 Outlander 400XT
1989 H.D. Springer Softail
BAJA X

Unread postby mountainman on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:12 pm

Bajax: Nice to have you on board. We visit Wi every year or so and very much enjoy the area up around Lake Tomahawk
where my brother-in-law resides. This forum seems to be well organized and administered and I am enjoying the opportunity to vist as I choose and not having a problem accessing the site.
mountainman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Rough2000 on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:46 pm

Welcome Baja x,

Looking forward to your posts. Invite your friends to join us. We don't seen to have the downtime that we experienced with the Brand X forum. Also, everyone is kinda like family.

Bill
2006 Dodge Mega Cab w/ Cummins
"Real Trucks don't have Spark Plugs"
2009 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
What you said, what you thought you said and what I thought you said are THREE different things.
Rough2000
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby graywolf67 on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:16 pm

For me I started in a land far away in a country that is no more. I was born and bread in Rhodesia in southern Africa, where the culture is similar we loved to be out doors, so we started tent camping then moved to a 19 foot TT with my parents, then when I got married and the DW and I tent camped again, then we moved to the USA and continued to tent camp till we could afford a TT , its just a special treat to step out into this wonderful creation in the mornings to get away from it all and I even enjoy the towing part just love hearing that V8 purr, ahhhh :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
2008 Ford F250 6.4PSD Zinger ZT26RL
graywolf67
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:30 pm

Couldn't have said it better myself. I can stand and look at a beautiful scene for hours just drinking it in. Nothing more relaxing for me than driving either WITH or WITHOUT the trailer attached.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby mountainman on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:26 am

It's hard to beat that feeling of always wanting to see what is around the next corner or let's just go on up to that next hill there! My father was that way and I followed in his foot steps. Wow ,if he were here today he would be amazed and full timing too.
mountainman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Return to General RV Discussion