Skip to content

Change font size

Pets in the RV

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Pets in the RV

Unread postby Filthy Beast on Tue May 27, 2008 9:28 am

I have been reading these forums for quite some time, I don't post a lot though. In my perusal of the forums the question often comes up about taking animals with you while camping. We have two Dalmations that travel with us much to their dismay. Most places I have been to have rules that state "Pets are not to be left unattended", yet we constantly see dogs left in RVs while the owners are out and about. We never leave our dogs in the RV if we are going somewhere. I am less concerned with cats as they don't sit and bark at everyone that passes.

My question is, how many of you obey the rules and take your dogs with you and how many leave them in the RV anyway? Rules are rules!
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
4X4 Extended cab
6.6L Duramax, Allison Trans
2005 Rockwood 8280SS 5er
Filthy Beast

Re: Pets in the RV

Unread postby Carolina Cruiser on Tue May 27, 2008 11:28 am

We will leave our two doggies in their crate inside the TT for a couple of hours here and there. We leave the TV on and have not had a problem. No; the TV is not for them to watch it is to cut down on the noise so they don't bark. We have never had a problem. I do not know to many folks that do not leave their pets inside their RV at one time or another.
Carolina Cruiser

Unread postby Limey on Tue May 27, 2008 2:44 pm

Our four dogs are always with us when camping. We mostly camp in State Parks and here in Colorado there is no rule about leaving them alone in the RV. When we do leave them, it is for no longer than a couple of hours, with the A/C on, plenty of water and the TV on for company.

We have noted that they do the same thing that they normally do when we are in the camper - sleep.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Tue May 27, 2008 3:02 pm

[quote="Filthy Beast"] Rules are rules! /quote]

On the RARE occassions that we take our ALPHA 1 female German Shepherd w/us we obay the rules.She doesn't so we do use extra precautions to keep us & her out of trouble.We rescue Shepherds that have been abused & have 2 more at home.

We never leave her in the TT.She is always with 1 of us.
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Filthy Beast on Tue May 27, 2008 4:58 pm

To the Mcbowers:
Congratulations on the fortitude to rescue abused animals. We used to not have to take the Damnations, oops I mean Dalmations but that time is passed.

To Limey:
If there is no rule then you aren't breaking one. I do know that a lot of places do have the rule and I marvel when you walk by a rig and see the dog lying in the front window barking at everyone that walks by.
2008 Silverado 2500HD
4X4 Extended cab
2005 Rockwood 8280SS 5er
Filthy Beast

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue May 27, 2008 6:12 pm

I've always interpreted "Animals may not be left unattended" in meaning that you are not to leave them outside unattended. As for inside, do they even have any authority over the matter - it's your RV, after all.

We bring our parrot camping with us every time we go and he gets left alone simply because it's simply not practical to take him with us on every little walk or excursion away from the campsite. We would never leave him outside, but he's quite comfortable and happy inside by himself for periods of time.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Tue May 27, 2008 6:25 pm

[quote="Filthy Beast"]To the Mcbowers:
We used to not have to take the Damnations, oops quote]

There could not be a better word to discribe those HYPER critters.Newly remarried in 1991,with the kids grown, we rescued DEAF Dalmations.Had 3 at different times,that over time would react to some hand signals.Worst part was they would wake up in the middle of the nite,barking like crazy.I told neighbors it was because of "dreams".

They were all named SPOT.
MCBOWERS
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Limey on Tue May 27, 2008 7:01 pm

MCBOWERS wrote:
Filthy Beast wrote: Rules are rules!

On the RARE occassions that we take our ALPHA 1 female German Shepherd w/us we obay the rules.She doesn't so we do use extra precautions to keep us & her out of trouble.We rescue Shepherds that have been abused & have 2 more at home.

We never leave her in the TT.She is always with 1 of us.

We too work with a German Shapherd Rescue here in Colorado. We are fostering and finding homes all the time. Taking a break right now as we adopted one ourselves and found out that she has severe displasia. She had surgery on one leg a couple of months ago and it went wrong. Now she cannot put weight on it at all and we are working out our options.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Filthy Beast on Tue May 27, 2008 7:10 pm

[quote="PrivatePilot"]I've always interpreted "Animals may not be left unattended" in meaning that you are not to leave them outside unattended. As for inside, do they even have any authority over the matter - it's your RV, after all.

Unless you have taught your parrot to bark at people I don't think that is the issue I was addressing. I think they have some authority if your pet is making enough noise to bother the neighbors.
2008 Silverado 2500HD
4X4 Extended cab
2005 Rockwood 8280SS 5er
Filthy Beast

Unread postby Zinger on Tue May 27, 2008 7:18 pm

hopefully not to offend anyone but if your dog barks all the time leave it home and if your parrot or cats bark go to Hollywood.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Rough2000 on Tue May 27, 2008 9:12 pm

I agree that barking dogs should be left at home. As should; yelling kids; screaming wifes; etc, etc,..... :roll:
2006 Dodge Mega Cab w/ Cummins
"Real Trucks don't have Spark Plugs"
2009 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
What you said, what you thought you said and what I thought you said are THREE different things.
Rough2000
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby mountainman on Tue May 27, 2008 9:23 pm

This is my boy Bailey. He is now 6 months old and thinks I'm his mother! He is already an avid camper and my bed companion when my spouse stays home. I haven't left him in the TT alone although I would leave him for a short period (0+30) of time without hesitation. In my opinion camping is not camping without a dog or pet of your choice.
May 2008 trip to Canyonlands and Colorado 080.jpg
Life is a Journey and only you hold the map!
mountainman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue May 27, 2008 9:46 pm

Filthy Beast wrote:Unless you have taught your parrot to bark at people I don't think that is the issue I was addressing. I think they have some authority if your pet is making enough noise to bother the neighbors.

Leaving a pet "unattended", and noisy pets are two different things, and your original question was regarding the generalized topic of leaving them unattended.

I'll agree that any pet that creates enough noise on an ongoing basis that it's likely to bother others in the campground really should be left at home. We've all been to a campground at one point or another that had the dog that just wouldn't be quiet, and sorry, but if your dog is unable to be quiet for a reasonable amount of time without barking incessantly at anything that moves or makes a noise, then it really probably shouldn't be sharing a campground with other campers.

Nobody expects pets to be perfectly quiet 100% of the time. Dogs bark, cats meow, parrots squawk, but there's the occasional noise, and the incessant noise, which must be handled quite differently IMHO.

If the pet is quiet while "attended" then great. If the pet makes an excessive amount of noise while "unattended", then that also makes an answer clear to me - either don't leave them unattended, or leave them at home or with friends/family.

All this aside, If your pet can be left alone while camping, inside your RV, then I don't see any reason why there would be a problem.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Wed May 28, 2008 1:08 am

Our dogs are crate trained and do rather well left alone inside if we go off to the clubhouse for breakfast or something.
We would never leave them alone outside. We do all we can to keep them from being out of control.
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby Filthy Beast on Wed May 28, 2008 6:53 am

Filthy Beast wrote: I am less concerned with cats as they don't sit and bark at everyone that passes.

I thought this statement kind of lead towards noisey pets. Also, unless you ask as your neighbors, how do you know they haven't disturbed someone. Even if they are not barking constantly, they can still be disturbing. And I am not saying all dogs are like that but we have seen a number of them left alone that bark at everyone that walks by.
2008 Silverado 2500HD
4X4 Extended cab
2005 Rockwood 8280SS 5er
Filthy Beast

Unread postby LA_Bolt_Fan on Wed May 28, 2008 11:21 pm

My trailer has barking spiders..........But I NEVER leave them unattended!! :lol:
Backpacking one weekend, RV'ing the next!!
2007 Thor Summit 22rb
2000 Dodge Ram Van 2500 5.2L / 3.92 Gear
1 Beautiful Wife and 2 Happy Traveling Iguanas
San Diego SUPER Charger Fan
LA_Bolt_Fan

Unread postby Zinger on Thu May 29, 2008 7:33 am

LA_Bolt_Fan wrote:My trailer has barking spiders..........But I NEVER leave them unattended!! :lol:

:lol: they probably bite too you better leave them home! :roll:
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby mike54 on Thu May 29, 2008 9:29 am

we do it all the time when we go somewhere we want to go site seeing. They are crate trained and we have folding crates they go in when we leave. I do have a bark collar for one of them because last year he forgot about the no barking rule after wearing a few times he remembered. I turn on the radio and air if it's hot out and we are usually only gone a couple hrs at a time.
mike54

Unread postby lynlou14760 on Thu May 29, 2008 6:39 pm

We always take our two Golden Retrievers with us when we are local to home, and I take my cat with us when we go on a trip. The dogs are - how should I say this? - "training challanged;" i.e. - they're pretty stupid. But I can leave them alone in the trailer for several hours at a time without worrying about accidents or damage to the trailer.
Lynn & Louie McClure
2003 Chevy Duramax Crew Cab; 2008 Sierra 335QBQ
2 Golden Retrievers (who culdn't retrieve thier own food dish!)
lynlou14760

Unread postby Filthy Beast on Thu May 29, 2008 6:54 pm

"Training challenged" I like that!
2008 Silverado 2500HD
4X4 Extended cab
2005 Rockwood 8280SS 5er
Filthy Beast

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:59 am

As a non pet owner (I have owned pets in the past) I would like to interject a couple of thoughts. I am sure all of you love your pets and enjoy having them with you. I on the other hand do not like to be approached by leashed or unleashed dogs, can become quite irate at incessant barking whether outside or inside. Another trend that is developing that I just find odd is the need to bring 4,5,6 dogs with you camping. I am seeing this more and more. I find the pet craze that has swept the nation over the last few years rather peculiar. All in all, I have no dislike for pets as long as they are well behaved and the owners (not the pets) follow all the rules concerning them which all too often they do not in my experience.
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:56 pm

[quote="lynlou14760"] - "training challanged;" i.e. - they're pretty stupid. quote]

LOL,I've always used the term "brain dead" when referring to some of my stubborn critters.
MCBOWERS
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Terry on Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:34 pm

I always wonder about those that say their dogs don't bark while they are out. We had a couple tell us their dog didn't bark while they were gone, and then when they left him in the camper and went to Wal-Mart. That durn dog started barking soon as they crossed the bridge, and didn't stop till they got back. The CG host came up from another section to see which dog is was. And told us. If it happened again. They would be gone. So yeah. The CG does have a say in what goes on inside your coach. Especially if there is a loud obnoxious dog in there. It ain't fun being camped near a barking dog.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Limey on Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:40 pm

fla-gypsy wrote: Another trend that is developing that I just find odd is the need to bring 4,5,6 dogs with you camping. I am seeing this more and more. I find the pet craze that has swept the nation over the last few years rather peculiar. All in all, I have no dislike for pets as long as they are well behaved and the owners (not the pets) follow all the rules concerning them which all too often they do not in my experience.

I take my dogs because they are 'children' to me and my wife. We make sure that they are well behaved and do not approach other campers even when on a leash. It is not a current trend, nor is there a current pet craze - we have always done this. You are just more aware of pet ownership due to the media and the availability of the internet.

Now, if some folks would take as much care and apply the same amount of discipline to their children, as we do to our dogs, while camping I would be very pleased!

It is not the dog's, nor the children's fault that they misbehave etc.

The problem is firmly with the owners/parents.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Rough2000 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:09 pm

Limey wrote:Now, if some folks would take as much care and apply the same amount of discipline to their children, as we do to our dogs, while camping I would be very pleased!

It is not the dog's, nor the children's fault that they misbehave etc.

The problem is firmly with the owners/parents.

AMEN
2006 Dodge Mega Cab w/ Cummins
"Real Trucks don't have Spark Plugs"
2009 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
What you said, what you thought you said and what I thought you said are THREE different things.
Rough2000
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:56 pm

I hear that Limey!
I'll take an annoying dog over an annoying kid any day....'cept my grandkids 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby ClassicHammond on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:38 pm

How can you expect children to behave when so many of the parents don't ?????????????
Memorial weekend we camped in NW Ill. and I think more people had dogs than didn't.
My dogs (rescued spaniels, 4 of them) will bark when other dogs are walked past, that didn't bark.
Ours would be walked past the same dogs, who would bark, ours didn't, it must be a territorial thing.
We camp BECAUSE we can take our family. My children are grown and gone.
I will tolerate your family, and you should tolerate mine.
Yes, excessive barking can be a problem, my youngest dog is 9 and sleeps most of the day as the rest of his 'siblings.'
If my dogs are disruptive I would EXPECT someone to tell me, but I expect a bit of tolerance.
And when your child kicks his ball into my site, I'll return it. Live and let live.
Tom
(school teacher ! )
ClassicHammond

Unread postby mountainman on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:53 am

There are fewer and fewer places where badly behaved dogs will be tolorated even in USFS campgrounds. We have not had a problem with barking dogs in any place where we camp. I think most people are respectful of others, at least here in the west, and take care not to disturb others.
Having said that I must conceed that having been a backcountry ranger for ten years our biggest problem was always dogs off leash in areas where it was not allowed which now days includes most wilderness areas and highly used USFS lands. The offenders (people) would always say that their dog would never chase wildlife or always obeys my commands. My experience indicates that if running wildlife is visible to a dogs it is difficult to keep that dog from giving chase to that type situation, excluding small dogs of course. Those same people have a difficult time believing that their docile black lab would hurt anyone if left off leash. They fail to understand the situations where their pet endangers other users by the owner allowing their pet to be off leash. I'm always reminder of the times during this time of year when the streams are running full and overflow conditions and a usually friendly black lab or other breed comes upon a child walking along a steam with adults and the child becomes afraid of the animal showing his protective nature and makes a slight manuever to distance himself from the anminal only to slip and end up in a raging stream. I've seen these conditions step up on several of my patrol trips and let me tell you it is frighting! If a child or anyone else for that matters ends up in these streams this time of year it is all over my friend.
mountainman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby leadm55 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:09 pm

We have a macaw and yes he squawks from time to time. When we get ready to leave for a couple of hours we put him in his cage and cover him and tell bye bye and I have had no complaints from neighbors of him making noise. My biggest hangup is those campers who lets their pets run through the campsite. Then they get offensive when you tell them that you have a bird on a perch outside and there is a leash law and ask them to restrain their pet. You would not believe them number of campers that have told me to take my bird inside where it belongs. I am sorry, I didn't know that birds have a leash law. I love all animals and will work with anyone but when it comes down to a pet wanting to attack my bird there is a line to be drawn.
Les & Diane
Conway Springs, Ks
2009 Dodge 3500 6.7 diesel 1 ton SRW 4x4
1999 Spinnaker 32' 2 slide
leadm55

Unread postby Limey on Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:29 pm

leadm55 wrote: When we get ready to leave for a couple of hours we put him in his cage and cover him and tell bye bye and I have had no complaints from neighbors of him making noise.

See, now I tried that with my DW but she still kept squawking! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby mountainman on Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:40 pm

Limey wrote:
leadm55 wrote: When we get ready to leave for a couple of hours we put him in his cage and cover him and tell bye bye and I have had no complaints from neighbors of him making noise.

See, now I tried that with my DW but she still kept squawking! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Limey, if your spouse happens to see this post you'll get the bird alright!
mountainman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby jp rver on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:50 pm

I knew I should have ignored this thread, I knew it. :roll:

People who don't like children really shouldn't be in a public campground. Go find yourself a nice secluded field, or lake, or mountain, or whatever and enjoy the peace and quiet. Camping in a public campground is a "family" activity and as a result the kids in the playground will laugh and play. I absolutely love the sounds of children playing and having fun!! As long as they aren't running wild through each campsite, I see no problem with the sounds of children running and laughing and playing in the playground area or even at their own campsite. It literally brings a smile to my face. :D

On the other hand, the sound of a dog that will not stop barking is enough to drive me insane. The occasional woof or yap is fine, but a dog whether unattended or not that will not stop barking is an absolute pain in the backside. :evil:

Let me add, I am a dog owner. You will not hear my dog bark much if at all unless you bang on my trailer door in the middle of the night. And quite frankly, that's when I want him to bark.

To address the original topic, we usually plan our trips so that one of us will be with the dog at all times (usually me because I love to kick back in a chair in front of the trailer and watch the world go by). If we are both going to have to be away from the trailer for more than a couple hours, we leave the dog at home with a sitter.
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby ramblemutt on Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:37 pm

fla-gypsy wrote:As a non pet owner (I have owned pets in the past) I would like to interject a couple of thoughts. I am sure all of you love your pets and enjoy having them with you. I on the other hand do not like to be approached by leashed or unleashed dogs, can become quite irate at incessant barking whether outside or inside. Another trend that is developing that I just find odd is the need to bring 4,5,6 dogs with you camping. I am seeing this more and more. I find the pet craze that has swept the nation over the last few years rather peculiar. All in all, I have no dislike for pets as long as they are well behaved and the owners (not the pets) follow all the rules concerning them which all too often they do not in my experience.

You will note that many pets mentioned here are "rescued " pets. Maybe if we didn't have to rescue so many abused and abandoned pets, we wouldn't have so many ourselves. Many of these abused rescues are difficult to leave home and in kennels because they are not (yet) socialized to the point where they can be left. We travel with 4 rescues and there are times when they are a PITA, but we do it anyway. They never bother anyone else and will not leave our side. (Well, one will, but he's a 90# marshmellow.) We never leave them alone in the TT. How would they get out if something went wrong? If I have one or two of the dogs and I am camping alone, they go into the Burb if I go to shower or something. If I have to leave them in the Burb and it is hot, I leave the Burb locked and running with the A/C on. I have extra keys and remotes for this contingency. When we stay in private CGs we try to get as isolated as possible....not for the sake of other campers, but for the sake of our dogs. And, we are not campers, we are travelers. We leave the CG in the AM and do not return until evening. Dogs usually don't have a lot of fun restricted to a campsite.

Wow! Guess I vented a little. Sorry about that. We are in the animal business and get a bit carried away on the subject.
One wife, 3.1 dogs and no money....life is good
'01 Excursion Ltd, 7.3L PSD, '06 Prowler 260RLS

ramblemutt

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:41 pm

jp rver wrote:As long as they aren't running wild through each campsite, I see no problem with the sounds of children running and laughing and playing in the playground area or even at their own campsite..

Agreed. We have two kids and we just got back from a weekend at a waterpark/campground where my son made friends with a few other boys and proceeded to spend the entire weekend all glued to each other. Perfect!

Yes, they made noise but it was the pleasant laughing and playing type noises, not yelling and screaming, and they were all well behaved. We've taught our kids the ins and outs of campground etiquette and they know that when they're out of sight that they're not out of mind and that we expect them to be on their best behavior all the time.

But then again, as someone else said in this thread, how can you expect the kids to behave sometimes when it's the adults that are supposedly their parents are behaving poorly themselves?
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jp rver on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:39 pm

PrivatePilot wrote:
But then again, as someone else said in this thread, how can you expect the kids to behave sometimes when it's the adults that are supposedly their parents are behaving poorly themselves?

Very true. There are those out there who have no business with a pet or a child as they haven't yet grown up themselves.
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:54 pm

jp rver wrote:
PrivatePilot wrote:

Very true. There are those out there who have no business with a pet or a child as they haven't yet grown up themselves.

Wonder why they don't come with an "owners manual" (or at LEAST an instruction sheet on the back of the packaging. ) :D
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:40 pm

jp rver wrote:I knew I should have ignored this thread, I knew it. :roll:

People who don't like children really shouldn't be in a public campground. Go find yourself a nice secluded field, or lake, or mountain, or whatever and enjoy the peace and quiet. Camping in a public campground is a "family" activity and as a result the kids in the playground will laugh and play. I absolutely love the sounds of children playing and having fun!! As long as they aren't running wild through each campsite, I see no problem with the sounds of children running and laughing and playing in the playground area or even at their own campsite. It literally brings a smile to my face. :D

On the other hand, the sound of a dog that will not stop barking is enough to drive me insane. The occasional woof or yap is fine, but a dog whether unattended or not that will not stop barking is an absolute pain in the backside. :evil:

Let me add, I am a dog owner. You will not hear my dog bark much if at all unless you bang on my trailer door in the middle of the night. And quite frankly, that's when I want him to bark.

To address the original topic, we usually plan our trips so that one of us will be with the dog at all times (usually me because I love to kick back in a chair in front of the trailer and watch the world go by). If we are both going to have to be away from the trailer for more than a couple hours, we leave the dog at home with a sitter.

I am with jp rver on this. I expect to hear children having fun when camping, that is what turns on the next generation to what we love.
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby skipnchar on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:50 am

fla-gypsy wrote:
jp rver wrote:I knew I should have ignored this thread, I knew it. :roll:

I am with jp rver on this. I expect to hear children having fun when camping, that is what turns on the next generation to what we love.

Gotta agree on this one. A campground without the sound of kids playing is just another form of "rest home". :D
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby PJ&Bob on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:58 pm

Both of our dogs have been camping all their lives. They will occassionally start to bark at a passerby while we are sitting outside, but when reminded with our standard statement "camper dogs don't bark," they will stop. Weird, but it works for us. As for leaving them unattended...we do leave them inside the RV for short periods of time. We leave the TV on to drown out the outside noises. To check their behavior, we have left and walked back to the RV to see what they do. Everytime, they have been on our bed snuggled together sleeping.
Bobby & Paula
Brian (19)
Jasper (Mini Dachshund)
Jake (Yellow Lab)
2006 Keystone Laredo 29RL
2006 Ford F250

Our Photos
PJ&Bob

Return to General RV Discussion