Skip to content

Change font size

Campground etiquitte

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Campground etiquitte

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun May 25, 2008 10:20 pm

So, just back from another great weekend camping. Two shakedown trips done now, and 3 weeks to departure for the west coast. So far, so good.

However, once again, I sit back and wonder about campground etiquette.

A large group of tenters on the next lane over repeatedly cut through the back of our campsite as a shortcut to the bathrooms. Ok, at least it wasn't through the *front* of our campsite, but it was irritating sitting at the dinette or couch and seeing people darting past our windows all the time. Yes, they're tenters and probably less aware of accepted campground etiquette, but do people really think that this is just fine when 30 feet further up the road there is a foot path that leads (albeit somewhat less directly) to the bathrooms? Could they not go another campsite or three down (all empty) to cut through there?

But the most irritating thing was really surprising - bug zappers - one of the old fashioned loud crackling "ZAP ZAP ZAP" models, not the new propane vacuum style ones. A few roads over there was one that was on all night, and it was almost CONSTANTLY zapping bugs. It got very annoying very fast, and I can only imagine that it was even worse for their direct neighbors.

The worst part? The campground residents were nowhere to be seen (why was it on, then?), and they were the CAMPGROUND HOSTS! These are almost permanent residents and are considered the the ones who (you'd think) would be setting the standards for others to follow.

Am I the only person here who would consider an electric bug zapper to be a major campground etiquette no-no? Would you want to camp in a site next to (or within earshot) of someone who was using one?
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Campground etiquitte

Unread postby catmom on Sun May 25, 2008 10:42 pm

Bug zappers can be quite annoying - we haven't seen too many of them lately (in CGs). The only advantage would be, they tend to attract bugs to the other sites, and therefore might be attracting them AWAY from yours. ;)

As far as people cutting through sites, that bugs us too. DH learned to camp as a kid, many years ago, and was taught all kinds of CG etiquette, which he then taught me (I didn't grow up camping). I don't think that's been passed on to the younger generations - possibly because there are more people camping than there used to be, and they haven't had anyone to teach them these things.
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby Terry on Mon May 26, 2008 10:19 am

Personally. I like bug zappers. Especially if they are 4 or 5 sites away. Most all the bugs go there, and leave me alone. A bug zapper "a few roads over" can't be all that loud.
Agree about folks walking thru your site. but as I always back my TT in to the very rear boundry of my site. Right up against the hookup post, and sewer connection. If someone would walk behind my camper. They would be in the next site over. I never setup in the middle of a site. I like plenty of room in front of my TT, and rarely go to the back, Except to dump. So as long as they aren't walking thru the front. I don't worry about it. We would never see them walking thru the back.
If you stay in CGs, and not RV resorts. You are going to have some noise, and of course tenters. As they are really camping, and spend all their time outdoors, as we do. Sort of a left over thing, From our tenting days. the TT like the tent. Is for sleeping, and changing clothes.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Zinger on Mon May 26, 2008 12:39 pm

that would drive me nuts if someone was walking thru my site I am a territorial persn and I figure I paid fo it its mine!
I do try to et up asclose to the back s possible so if the walk thru my back they are in someones elses front.
We harp on pur kids about respecting othes space s hopefully thee will be a cople in their generation that has manners.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Frank Henn on Mon May 26, 2008 4:01 pm

Now that you are a fifth wheel person(By the way how do like it) You have to get a wonder dog like Hoover. put him out side on a lead, and watch people pass out from laughing at him. No one can survive with him on duty. At 64 I can not here half the things going on.. Bug Zappers are one of the things I can not hear. Janet says I tune her out too but can any prove it :D :D
Frank and Janet Henn
with Hoover the Wonder Dog Now introducing Rainbow the wonder puppy
2008 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL
pushing a 2005 Dodge 2500 CDT
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby mikhen on Mon May 26, 2008 5:41 pm

Just got back also. No bug zappers, but there were some speeding golf carts and a very large and loud group near us. Other than that, only complaints were the tight sites. Once we in, it was fine.

I think if there was a bug zapper near us and the owners were gone, I'd have to help them save money on electric and unplug the zapper for them. We've already unscrewed lights on cabins when no one was there.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby Limey on Mon May 26, 2008 5:44 pm

I just returned too. We had a pretty quiet time. There was one site where they were actually drunk by 9am. When they came back to the site, towing their boat, they attracted the ranger's attention because they had folks sitting in the boat and causing a ruckus. They did a sobriety test on the driver, took him away in cuffs and towed his truck and boat. I think he got what he deserved - and the campground was a lot quieter after that! :mrgreen:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Mon May 26, 2008 7:57 pm

Zinger wrote: I am a territorial persn and I figure I paid fo it its mine!.

ME TOO!!!

But to a fault ,according to the ostrich [u know loong legs ,nice butt,blond hair,who i wish would always agree with me].Backed into our spot in San Diego last summer,behind us ,4 big Somoan's were already drunk & had a huge fire[big grill] on which they were cooking RIBS while they waited for 8 more friends.Ijust knew it was going to be one of those BAD camping days.

I was hooking up the sewer drain,while the DW was changing clothes,here come the biggest guy at a trot,slides between me & the TT, doesn't trip on the sewer hose or get impailed buy the open crankout window,slur's "u don't mind do ya pal,i gotta pee" & off he goes.

I was not up to the challenge but i also hate to run so as he returned [same way]i told him i didn'i want him & his friends cutting through our spot .To my surprise he apoligized & 2 hours later he came over with a full plate ribs chicken & sausage.We didn't have to cook that nite.

BOY DID I MISJUDGE THEM OR WHAT ... 12 drunk big dudes yet they were all cool & no noise!!!!!
Last edited by MCBOWERS on Mon May 26, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Clyder on Mon May 26, 2008 7:58 pm

As Terry posted
Personally. I like bug zappers. Especially if they are 4 or 5 sites away. Most all the bugs go there, and leave me alone. A bug zapper "a few roads over" can't be all that loud.
Agree about folks walking thru your site.

This pretty well is my feeling.
2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4 4.0L
2007 Hi-Lo 1707T 50th Year Anniversary Edition
Clyder

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon May 26, 2008 8:32 pm

Bug zappers can actually be entertainment if you have the right ones. I have a set of them that look like tennis rackets and you "swat" the offending critter with them and it zaps them. Just try and avoid the urge to try it on yourself cause it isn't NEAR as much fun that way. Don't ask me how I know this :D
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40122
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Mon May 26, 2008 8:57 pm

skipnchar wrote:Bug zappers can actually be entertainment if you have the right ones. I have a set of them that look like tennis rackets and you "swat" the offending critter with them and it zaps them. Just try and avoid the urge to try it on yourself cause it isn't NEAR as much fun that way. Don't ask me how I know this :D

We had one of those. I'll agree they're great fun (and much quieter then the zapper we listened to all night at the offenders campsite).

I'll also agree that trying them out on yourself is a BAD idea. Suffice to say I was very surprised at how much one of these things was able to step-up the voltage from the 9Volt battery. ;-)
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby mikhen on Tue May 27, 2008 4:26 pm

So I guess those swat zappers actually work. We had them on our wish list but took them off because of doubt. Gotta put them back on it.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue May 27, 2008 6:19 pm

mikhen wrote:So I guess those swat zappers actually work. We had them on our wish list but took them off because of doubt. Gotta put them back on it.

Let us know what your opinion is on the voltage when you test it out on yourself as well. ;)
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jp rver on Tue May 27, 2008 9:00 pm

MCBOWERS wrote:
Zinger wrote: I am a territorial persn and I figure I paid fo it its mine!.

ME TOO!!!

But to a fault ,according to the ostrich [u know loong legs ,nice butt,blond hair,who i wish would always agree with me].Backed into our spot in San Diego last summer,behind us ,4 big Somoan's were already drunk & had a huge fire[big grill] on which they were cooking RIBS while they waited for 8 more friends.Ijust knew it was going to be one of those BAD camping days.

I was hooking up the sewer drain,while the DW was changing clothes,here come the biggest guy at a trot,slides between me & the TT, doesn't trip on the sewer hose or get impailed buy the open crankout window,slur's "u don't mind do ya pal,i gotta pee" & off he goes.

I was not up to the challenge but i also hate to run so as he returned [same way]i told him i didn'i want him & his friends cutting through our spot .To my surprise he apoligized & 2 hours later he came over with a full plate ribs chicken & sausage.We didn't have to cook that nite.

BOY DID I MISJUDGE THEM OR WHAT ... 12 drunk big dudes yet they were all cool & no noise!!!!!

Question is, were there any "secret ingredients" in the food that you didn't know about?

:lol:
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby ReedMan on Wed May 28, 2008 8:17 am

I've said it before... I want to relax when I am camping. If something is really preventing me from relaxing, then I'll go and politely ask someone to knock it off. This has worked almost without fail.

I have not seen any fights but I have seen many people who are really annoyed. I don't know how you guys feel, but it seems to me that age is in direct correlation to how quickly someone "flies of the handle". I.E. The old folks are the first ones to start swearing and complaining at someone. Maybe it is the places that we choose, but we haven't experienced any young, loud, drunk, etc... kind of problems.

I think AARP has people convinced that the world owes them something for being..."old".

P.S. ...At the "other forum" this kind of response would invoke a lot of flamers. I am not trying to be disrespectful. I am simply saying what I have seen and trying to demonstrate that you get what you give (kindness).
ReedMan, Wife, 3 Kids
TT - 2002 Flagstaff 25LB (Triple Bunks!)
TV - 2001 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3/3.73 Stepside
ReedMan

Unread postby catmom on Wed May 28, 2008 8:38 am

In other words, ReedMan, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar, right? ;) It's true that a polite request often works quite well; I've used that a few times when other campers' behavior really bugged me, and was pleasantly surprised to find out it worked.
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Thu May 29, 2008 10:22 pm

The bug zappers are annoying to me also. They don't really do much for the bugs that are pests.
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Fri May 30, 2008 12:46 am

Kill'em with kindness 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby jp rver on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:26 pm

skipnchar wrote:Bug zappers can actually be entertainment if you have the right ones. I have a set of them that look like tennis rackets and you "swat" the offending critter with them and it zaps them. Just try and avoid the urge to try it on yourself cause it isn't NEAR as much fun that way. Don't ask me how I know this :D

I saw these at the Springfield MO Bass Pro Shop this past weekend. It clearly stated on the package, DO NOT TOUCH WHEN TURNED ON. :mrgreen:

So, do they work pretty good? On the bugs I mean........ :lol:
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:31 pm

jp rver wrote: stated on the package, DO NOT TOUCH WHEN TURNED ON. :mrgreen:

Which when translated to "GuySpeak", comes out roughly:

jp rver wrote:stated on the package, AFTER 4 BEERS WITH THE GUYS WE DARE YOU TO TOUCH WHEN TURNED ON. :mrgreen:
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby skipnchar on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:52 am

jp rver wrote:

I saw these at the Springfield MO Bass Pro Shop this past weekend. It clearly stated on the package, DO NOT TOUCH WHEN TURNED ON. :mrgreen:

So, do they work pretty good? On the bugs I mean........ :lol:

Truthfully I was a little disappointed with how they worked. You can "hit the sweat spot" once in a while and get a pretty good ZAp out of them but mostly I think you are just conking them on the heads with it. With a swarm of those pesky little gnats (you know, the swarms numbered in the thousands) you can thin out the heard a little bit but I prefer using an ice pick on em :D
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby JBandMJ on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:25 pm

The Wood Tinker wrote:Kill'em with kindness 8-)

I agree...it works every time :)
Jim & Marilyn
Mulvane, Kansas
2004 33 V Winnebago Adventure
JBandMJ

Unread postby crazyaboutcampin on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:55 am

Back when I had a boat I would sometimes stay in a bona fide campground for fishing and ramp access. I hate campgrounds for all the reasons posted previously. More than half of my campground camping trips have been ruined by loudmouthed drunks. Maybe it's just Idaho. Maybe it's just my luck, I don't know. But I hate them and I certainly won't pay to camp there. I am fortunate to live in the West where boondockin' is plentiful.

But now I am missing a boat and the fishing opportunities it provided. :roll: :mrgreen:
S&S on a Dodge dually 4X4
crazyaboutcampin

Unread postby Zinger on Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:40 pm

I saw a few people cutting thru sites this weekend but the best was a group of kids (12-14 age) cutting thru sites on bikes till they got to an older guy with class A he stopped them in their tracks. I dont know what he said but they stopped got off their bikes and pushed them back the way they came from. I think it was a good lesson . we typically spread out enough so there is no room to cut thru without being very brazen.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to General RV Discussion