Skip to content

Change font size

Diesel: $6/Gallon

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Diesel: $6/Gallon

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sat May 17, 2008 1:23 pm

Just read this morning that diesel on the east coast of Canada has hit $1.60/Liter. Given the par exchange rate right now, that's $6.00/Gallon, ladies and gentlemen.

Yeowwch. This summers trip is getting more and more expensive - it's looking increasingly like we'll be paying $1.50/Liter on average for our trip this summer which is about $5.60/Gallon. I had expected to save some money coming back through the USA, but I had a reader of my blog comment this morning that in Chicago he noticed diesel is at $5.09, so I don't think that $5.50 (or more) is going to be out of the realm of possibilities for the summer months.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Diesel: $6/Gallon

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Sat May 17, 2008 11:08 pm

This is out of hand now! Somethings got to give and it shouldn't be us!
I keep thinking of ways to stick it back to the man!

Joe
2004 Fleetwood Prowler 25Z Limited Edition (Bunkhouse)
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie, 2wd, Ext.Cab, 5.9L Magnum 360
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby JBandMJ on Sun May 18, 2008 9:07 am

Think about the folks that use home heating oil, that bill this fall and winter is going to be a shocker.
Jim & Marilyn
Mulvane, Kansas
2004 33 V Winnebago Adventure
JBandMJ

Unread postby crazyaboutcampin on Sun May 18, 2008 11:03 am

Wait until the grocery stores start getting the transportation bills to pass on to us. If fuel continues to rise it is going to be a challenge to stay alive and comfortable let alone go camping. I'm half tempted to sell all the toys while I could still get something for them.
S&S on a Dodge dually 4X4
crazyaboutcampin

Unread postby skipnchar on Sun May 18, 2008 7:01 pm

crazyaboutcampin wrote:Wait until the grocery stores start getting the transportation bills to pass on to us. If fuel continues to rise it is going to be a challenge to stay alive and comfortable let alone go camping. I'm half tempted to sell all the toys while I could still get something for them.

According to the national news the other day grocery prices have already risen more in the last two months than then did all last year. If the increases haven't reached your neighborhood yet be aware they're coming soon.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Tue May 20, 2008 11:38 pm

Yeah, our grocery bill has risen quite a bit over the last month and we aren't getting more food!

Joe
2004 Fleetwood Prowler 25Z Limited Edition (Bunkhouse)
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie, 2wd, Ext.Cab, 5.9L Magnum 360
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Tue May 20, 2008 11:44 pm

Hold on to your hats....it's gonna be a long summer!~ 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby JBandMJ on Wed May 21, 2008 8:13 am

Your not going to like this news.
Last night the after hour traders set a new short term target of $145.00 per barrel. The lake is at maximum pool and it’s still raining, I don’t know how much more pressure the Dam can take.
Jim & Marilyn
Mulvane, Kansas
2004 33 V Winnebago Adventure
JBandMJ

Unread postby skipnchar on Wed May 21, 2008 7:11 pm

Look on the bright side...if you invest $49.00 and buy one of those "fuel your vehicle using only water" devices that are for sale all over right now, you'll have all the water you NEED for the process :) Seriously though, hope the dam holds out.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Wed May 21, 2008 7:50 pm

At some point people are going to simply curtail all driving.

At that point, stocks have to rise. Supply and demand, right? No demand, but the same amount of supply.

When that point arrives, I'm still expecting a big correction in the price of oil, and as I've said, I hope that all the damn speculators who have caused this loose their shirt and end up living under a bridge somewhere.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Limey on Thu May 22, 2008 1:26 am

PrivatePilot wrote:When that point arrives, I'm still expecting a big correction in the price of oil, and as I've said, I hope that all the damn speculators who have caused this loose their shirt and end up living under a bridge somewhere.

Damn right! The down side for me (or upside - depending on how you look at it) on that is I work for a Natural Gas company. Our bottom line is tied somewhat to the price of oil and the powers that be budget on a certain price per barrel of oil, as we are the largest producer of natural gas liquids in the US. The last two years my annual bonus has been in in the 5 figure range and it looks like it could be that way again this year. Personally I would sooner forgo that obscene bonus if the price of oil would drop and cause gas/diesel prices to get back to a respectable level. It is nice to get a shot in the bank account, but I would sooner pay 25% less on my fuel costs as that would more than cover it.

And, please don't give me a hard time about this - the price of oil per barrel is so high due to the specualtive market /futures commodities and not the processors. We do not produce it, but gather and process it, buting it from the producers in the continental US. The market sets the prices before we sell it. We do not set the prices. Nothing I can do about it!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Thu May 22, 2008 8:39 pm

PrivatePilot wrote:At some point people are going to simply curtail all driving.

I really think I'm seeing this now, way less traffic on the weekends for sure.
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby catmom on Thu May 22, 2008 10:50 pm

When that point arrives, I'm still expecting a big correction in the price of oil, and as I've said, I hope that all the damn speculators who have caused this loose their shirt and end up living under a bridge somewhere.
Boy, can I agree with that! It just burns me - the idea of a bunch of gamblers (legal though they may be) getting rich at the expense of most of the rest of the world. Literally. Same thing's happened in the food (grain) markets as well.
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby ParTimCmpr on Mon May 26, 2008 11:39 pm

We did not make it out camping this weekend, but did make a couple of trips back and forth from south of Atlanta to northwest of Atlanta. I was amazed at how little traffic was on the road Monday - Memorial day. I believe driving habits are really starting to change already!
ParTimCmpr
Fayetteville, Georgia
2006 Sunline T2553
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD
ParTimCmpr

Unread postby catmom on Tue May 27, 2008 3:49 pm

Interestingly, there is a post on the "other site" asking if CGs were full over the holiday weekend, and the concensus from a good # of responses is that they were. During our "shakedown cruise" with our new trailer last week, we spent a night at a KOA about 3 hours from home, and noticed that it's about 90% seasonals this year - that's in contrast to a previous visit we had made there, about 7-8 years ago, when it was about 1/2 seasonals. Most of the rigs in seasonal sites seemed to be quite new, too. Good to know RVers are still out there, but many are probably staying closer to home. We already had longtime plans for distant travels this year and are proceeding with that, but the budget may require that we do fewer of those trips. Fortunately we live close to several decent state parks, so we can get some good use out of the trailer during the week at some of those places, in between trips!
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue May 27, 2008 6:15 pm

catmom wrote:Interestingly, there is a post on the "other site" asking if CGs were full over the holiday weekend, and the concensus from a good # of responses is that they were.

Both trips we've been on this season have been to provincial parks, with one of the two being one of the "premiere" parks in southern Ontario (and the other to one of the more casual recreational provincial parks near our home) and both times the parks have been anything but full.

I think that reality is starting to set in when it comes to the oil price situation, though. Quoting todays news:

Crude oil futures dipped below US$129 a barrel this morning on a growing sense that soaring gas and oil prices have cut demand for fuel during the normally busy summer driving season in the US.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby skipnchar on Tue May 27, 2008 9:11 pm

Probably comparing one of the big three holiday weekends isn't a true representation of usage, at least in MY part of the country. Take a look at the week before and the week after for a more realistic picture.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to General RV Discussion