Skip to content

Change font size

RV accessory prices.

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

RV accessory prices.

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Sun May 11, 2008 9:43 pm

I've noticed that since RV's are generally considered to be a luxury item, the dealers are really sticking it to us on accessory pricing. In Canada, we don't have Camping World or any other such chain so we're stuck with the limited availability at places such as Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire if we don't want to pay the outrageous prices that the dealers want. One solution for me has been ebay. I've picked up some really good deals here and it seems that on the weekends when our American friends are lucky enough to be camping, the prices are even lower. Here's what I've bought so far
Vent cover (Very similar to a Maxx-Air) $8.50 but with no mounting brackets. ($50 list in Canada)
Maxx-Air hinged mounting brackets $7.00
25' 30 amp extension cord $15.00
Midland 2 way radios $15.00
And the best so far - A set (2) Ultrafab wheel locking chocks $66.50 (List at my dealer is $211 for a set)
All prices are in US dollars and shipping is additional, but I've still saved a pile of money.
Check it out if you're not in a hurry.
There is no such thing as a bad day camping.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: RV accessory prices.

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun May 11, 2008 10:37 pm

I just had this same conversation with my neighbor at the campground last night - I begrudgingly bought a 25' 30A extension cord at Canadian Tire this spring because, well, it's the same price as the dealers and I had a coupon for Canadian Tire.

Even with the $10 off coupon it was STILL over $40 for the damn cord.

$15 in the US. Grr.

When we come back from out west this year (we're going west accross Canada and east back through the USA) we'll be stopping at numerous Camping World locations and picking up the deals to be had. I too refuse to be gouged all to hell on this side of the border and it pisses me off as well, especially with the dollar being at parity now.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon May 12, 2008 7:37 am

If you have a Walmart near-by, that's where I purchased mine for around $19.00 but it sounds like the exchange rate is getting to you. I carry two of them since my original cord attaches at the extreme rear of my trailer and won't even reach the front without an extension. I often run my generator from under my tonneau cover on the truck so an extension is the only way for that to happen.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Mon May 12, 2008 7:41 am

I find the RV selection at the local Walmarts terrible - much less then most US stores.

That aside, the costs are the same as most RV dealers, etc - the 25' 30A extension was $54 (I believe it was) there last I checked - actually more then Canadian Tire.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Filthy Beast on Mon May 12, 2008 3:31 pm

I find that Camping World is also priced above a lot of places. For instance, the digital tv converter box is $10 more at Camping World than at a Radio Shack or the like. Unless I need something immediately I will search the internet for it.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
4X4 Extended cab
6.6L Duramax, Allison Trans
2005 Rockwood 8280SS 5er
Filthy Beast

Unread postby ButteBumBob on Mon May 12, 2008 6:16 pm

and if you order online, the shipping cost are outrageous. Like my Dad always said "if you join the country club you have to pay the dues".
2004 Crossroads Cruiser 29rk
2004 GMC Sierra, crewcab,SB,4x4,Duramax/Allison
1973 Seeker travel trailer (for the short trips)

ButteBumBob
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Filthy Beast on Mon May 12, 2008 6:29 pm

That's why you need to be diligent. I don't buy something to save $5 and then pay $10 for shipping! It costs me $10 to drive into Albuquerque these days.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
4X4 Extended cab
6.6L Duramax, Allison Trans
2005 Rockwood 8280SS 5er
Filthy Beast

Unread postby JQSpree on Mon May 12, 2008 7:20 pm

I've been asking on several boards since we bought our 1st rv in Dec where some of the best deals for accessories. I have a CW not too far from home (12 miles) and they have a lot of what I need. But even they have high prices for some trailer specific stuff. My dealer (now owned by CW) is almost always higher for parts and labor. Labor rate is $119/hr!!!

I was looking a CW at MaxxAir II covers and the Max vent for fantastic fan. The II's are on sale for $29 at CW and install is on sale for $10. The larger vent for the fan is $79 plus $15 to install. Can't find better and I need now. Dealer gets $48 each plus $55 for labor. Their fantastic fan cover is $99!!!.

Haven't ever bought anything on ebay although I look now and then. Need to have my son walk me thru the basics to buy or sell.
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Frank Henn on Mon May 12, 2008 8:18 pm

I check the prices at CW and local dealers. I have found that CW prices are a little lower but their shipping cost are outrages. I will but from them when their is free shipping, or on a item that is a real good deal. I have gone to local dealers and said here is CW price can you match it. They all ways have..
Frank and Janet Henn
with Hoover the Wonder Dog Now introducing Rainbow the wonder puppy
2008 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL
pushing a 2005 Dodge 2500 CDT
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon May 12, 2008 8:43 pm

I've actually found that prices are cheaper at most on line parts locations than at Camping World and you don't have to pay money to get those prices. PPL Motor homes or Dyers or JC Whitney are ALL usually lower than even the membership prices at CW (unless they've recently lowered their prices a LOT). CW does have some decent SALE prices sometimes but for every day prices they're just too high for me to consider.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Tue May 13, 2008 11:27 pm

PrivatePilot wrote:I find the RV selection at the local Walmarts terrible - much less then most US stores.

That aside, the costs are the same as most RV dealers, etc - the 25' 30A extension was $54 (I believe it was) there last I checked - actually more then Canadian Tire.

I agree! They use to carry a pretty good selection and the prices were great. Now the whole section is on one gondola stuffed back in the corner. I generally look around for the best deal, but like stated above I won't save $5 to pay $10 in shipping. I do see more and more "sales" over the internet that include shipping or shipping is free over a certain amount.
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby Zinger on Wed May 14, 2008 7:24 am

Camping World very Often has free shipping offers I just wait for them
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby JQSpree on Wed May 21, 2008 10:24 pm

Near Sacto here, I have a Camping World that I have used quite a bit. Still haven't found any of those online discount places with great prices for trailer stuff. Skip, do you have links for those you mentioned? I have asked this question half a dozen times in last yr and have had very little response.

As for free shipping, that seems to be a thing of the past for most things. I have seen it not too long ago on generators but they were still higher than others. I have to price CW online with the local CW store for best bottom line.
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Wed May 21, 2008 11:06 pm

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Thu May 22, 2008 8:40 pm

I have used J C Whitney for years, good selection and prices.
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Return to General RV Discussion