Skip to content

Change font size

Hook-ups?? What is that?

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Hook-ups?? What is that?

Unread postby LA_Bolt_Fan on Sat May 10, 2008 2:30 am

Ok guys,
I am leaving for my first trip to a few RV campgrounds as opposed to state parks or state beaches. I have never hooked up to full hook-ups before, we have always boondocked before. I think I will first plug in my elec. cord, then connect my white water hose to my trailer which I have added a 90 degree adapter, a pressure gauge and a pressure regulator. Next would be the sewer, I think. I bought a hose with an 90 degree adapter that should fit the sewer pipe, according to the literature as well as a clear 45 degree adapter with a water inlet to "apparently" back-flush. I also have the sewer solution, but I don't think I need to use it since I will have "Full hookups".

I have a couple questions...........Does full hookups mean that there is a place to empty my tanks??
Are there two water spouts?? One for fresh water and one for the black tank back-flush?
Any other help with this "Sitch" would be very cool!!

HELP!!! :mrgreen:
Backpacking one weekend, RV'ing the next!!
2007 Thor Summit 22rb
2000 Dodge Ram Van 2500 5.2L / 3.92 Gear
1 Beautiful Wife and 2 Happy Traveling Iguanas
San Diego SUPER Charger Fan
LA_Bolt_Fan

Re: Hook-ups?? What is that?

Unread postby milzat on Sat May 10, 2008 7:07 am

I do believe you've got your hook-up steps and connections correct.

Does full hookups mean that there is a place to empty my tanks??

Your tanks can be emptied into the sewer connection.
Having the Sewer connection at your site means you will not need a Dumps Station, but many, if not all, will also have a dump station on the property. While connected to the sewer connection on your site, it's recommended that you wait until your Black Tank is at least 3/4 full before emptying (dumping) it.

Are there two water spouts?? One for fresh water and one for the black tank back-flush?

First off, you'll want to use two different hoses. A White colored hose(for city water) and a Gray colored hose(for flushing purposes). Keep these hoses stored separately.
About half the campgrounds I've been to have at least 2 city water spigots. If not, and it comes time to flush your tanks, make sure you have a "back-flow preventer" (see photo below) attached to your water hose. This will prevent any "un-wanted" from backing up into your water hose. If you tank flush was installed at the dealer or factory, it should already have a back-flow preventer installed.

Have a safe trip.
Me and the Wife
milzat

Unread postby cwit on Sat May 10, 2008 7:35 am

It sounds like you are all set, now lets go camping. :D
cwit

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Sat May 10, 2008 11:49 pm

Bring along a hose splitter like you would use at home in the garden. Plastic ones are a buck or two at Lowes.
But sure you do not leave your black tank and gray tank valves open while camping, just when you are ready to dump, nasty little things can crawl up your hose! 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun May 11, 2008 7:33 pm

From my perspective, it's considered bad form to use the on-site water supply for black tank flushing, even if you use a different hose. If you want to do this, I've always thought that taking your trailer to the dump station and using the non-drinking-water hookup there (which is purposed for this sort of thing) to do the dirty-work.

Even though the chances are little of any contamination, I wouldn't want to be using the same water hookup on my campsite that the last guy used to flush out his black tanks with.

All that said, with full hookups you do have the luxury of giving all your tanks a good "natural" flushing - fill them all to the brims, leave them for a half hour or so, and them (starting with the black tank) pull the valves - having the tanks (especially the black) filled to the brim will help suck out some crud that's been accumulating and might not normally come out with a 1/4 or 1/2 tank dump. Consider it a "power dump". :) Done this way, there's seldom much left in the tanks that would require any extra flushing after the fact.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby skipnchar on Sun May 11, 2008 9:11 pm

Most of my camping style involves the KISS principal and black tank care is just one example of it. I've never owned any kind of black tank flush system on any RV I've owned and I've never had a black tank PROBLEM with any of them. When I dump my tanks at the dump station I have two 6 gallon buckets that I fill with about 5 gallons of water which is dumped through the freshly emptied tank via the toilet, as quickly as the opening will take the water. Two of these will flush out the black tank as well as any system does in about half the time. Now a third bucket, this time with the valve closed will set up the tank for the next use while the galley and gray tanks are emptying.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby LA_Bolt_Fan on Sun May 11, 2008 11:21 pm

Good advise guys,
Thanks!
Backpacking one weekend, RV'ing the next!!
2007 Thor Summit 22rb
2000 Dodge Ram Van 2500 5.2L / 3.92 Gear
1 Beautiful Wife and 2 Happy Traveling Iguanas
San Diego SUPER Charger Fan
LA_Bolt_Fan

Return to General RV Discussion