Skip to content

Change font size

2 way radios

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

2 way radios

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Fri May 09, 2008 9:02 pm

How many of you carry 2 way radios with you to the CG? I've just bought a set off e-bay and I think they'll be handy when backing into tight spots. I'll have one and my spotter (DW) will have the other one. Then the kids can have them when they're out running around. What other uses do you have for them? Confirming ice cream flavors, getting the other half to bring more beer to the friends' site. I think they're gonna be great.
There is no such thing as a bad day camping.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: 2 way radios

Unread postby mikhen on Fri May 09, 2008 9:27 pm

We have them, but I have to get new rechargeable batteries for them. They are nice to have when the kids are running around.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby milzat on Fri May 09, 2008 9:40 pm

We've got a set.
I have the grandson take one along when he leaves our campsite. Of course, DW has a keeps a pair of Binoculars handy.
Me and the Wife
milzat

Unread postby ButteBumBob on Fri May 09, 2008 9:57 pm

We have a set and use them all the time. When traveling with friends ,they are great way to communiciate while driving down the road. If you are in the mountains they work where cell phones won't. We have used ours at Disney etc. They are a good way to keep in touch when snow skiing. I take one with me when I am out in the boat alone. Our first set took batteries and the batteries didn't last that long in them. Our new set has charging bases and they keep charged when not in use.
2004 Crossroads Cruiser 29rk
2004 GMC Sierra, crewcab,SB,4x4,Duramax/Allison
1973 Seeker travel trailer (for the short trips)

ButteBumBob
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Limey on Fri May 09, 2008 10:17 pm

We always have them with us, but usually it is so I can call DW to bring the boat trailer to the ramp when I am done messing in the boat on the lake. Very useful. We also use them when travelling in convoy with friends when there is no cellphone srvice.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Frank Henn on Fri May 09, 2008 10:40 pm

We had a set after the third trip I gave up, It was funny looking in the mirrors, and watched DW waving in the direction she wanted me to go with the radio. Good idea but does not work for DW. We do not call Janet Ethel for nothing
Frank and Janet Henn
with Hoover the Wonder Dog Now introducing Rainbow the wonder puppy
2008 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL
pushing a 2005 Dodge 2500 CDT
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Sat May 10, 2008 12:45 am

We use ours for all sorts of things. We really get a lot of use out of them when we go camping with friends. Especially while traveling.

Joe
2004 Fleetwood Prowler 25Z Limited Edition (Bunkhouse)
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie, 2wd, Ext.Cab, 5.9L Magnum 360
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby cwit on Sat May 10, 2008 7:53 am

Frank have I got to agree with you this is my wife to a tee, and she will always stand just out of my sight. You have to love them even if they do mess up, my wife says it's the law. :lol:
cwit

Unread postby mikhen on Sat May 10, 2008 9:42 am

My DW's excuse is she can see the mirrors. Just doesn't understand that I still can't see her. It makes that first beer that much more enjoyable.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby Frank Henn on Sat May 10, 2008 10:16 am

Pull in site rules with Janet, find site, get out look it over, place Janet in the spot I want her, pull unit to the first backing spot, get out replace Janet, Back into spot using her arm signals ( some time this takes a third party to translate the meaning) Get out level side to side, Plug in unit, turn AC get lawn chair out have a beer,level front to rear hook up sewer, bring out slides,have another beer, bring out awning, install lights (Taking a chance here she has four different sets) Bring out more chairs have a beer, Janet comes out I have put up the wrong lights,Bring canopy down put up right set, Have another beer. I must say taking it down goes a lot quicker :D :D :D :D
Frank and Janet Henn
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Sat May 10, 2008 6:33 pm

Frank Henn wrote:We had a set after the third trip I gave up, It was funny looking in the mirrors, and watched DW waving in the direction she wanted me to go with the radio. Good idea but does not work for DW. We do not call Janet Ethel for nothing

LOL!! I can sorta see this happening with us. A 2 way radio as a pointer! Whoda thunk it! Maybe you should buy her a laser pointer just for fun.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Sat May 10, 2008 10:09 pm

We always have a set with us for use when we're caravaning with another couple or group of people. They're invaluable then but when I'm backing into a site the last thing I need is advice from someone who doesn't have a steering wheel in their hands. DW knows that it's her job to tell me if I'm about to hit something and otherwise to show me when I'm as far into the site as she wants us. Backing is not difficult as long as I'm just left alone to DO it but it doesn't make any difference to me if it's going forward or backward, it's ALWAYS better if the person with the wheel also has the eyes (mirrors). :D
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Sat May 10, 2008 11:43 pm

I need to get some! I never think about them while shopping....I guess I'll look online. Any brand suggestions? 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Sun May 11, 2008 11:27 am

The Wood Tinker wrote:I need to get some! I never think about them while shopping....I guess I'll look online. Any brand suggestions? 8-)

I didn't do a lot of research, but the ones that I bought on e-bay are made by Midland and I got them for $15 plus shipping. They are slightly used however but they have re-chargable batteries in them. Cobra is a very popular brand and tend to be much lower priced, but it's a get what you pay for sort of world. I'll pay more for better quality any time.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Frank Henn on Sun May 11, 2008 3:29 pm

The ones we do not use worked really well they Were the Cobra.s got them on sale a Best Buy. Any brand you buy make certain that they point well :D :D :D
Frank and Janet Henn
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun May 11, 2008 7:23 pm

We have 4, so if any or all of us split up, we're always in communication. We've used them at theme parks before, and camping all the time - the kids are not allowed to leave the campsite without them.

The Wood Tinker wrote:I need to get some! I never think about them while shopping....I guess I'll look online. Any brand suggestions? 8-)

I'm a strong believer in the Motorola line - all four of ours are the "Talkabout" series.. One of mine (believe it or not) flew off my belt clip on a rollercoaster at a theme park once (yes, I was dumb and thought it would hold, but it didn't) and after the ride was finished someone was standing at the exit saying to everybody "did you loose a radio?" I realized it was mine after a quick check of my belt. now sans radio..

It came back as a pile of pieces - the back cover had flown off, the circuit board was hanging out, one battery was missing, etc. I put it all back together, put a battery back in it, and it still works perfect to this day. Made me a believer in Motorola quality. :-)
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby graywolf67 on Sun May 11, 2008 10:07 pm

We use our radios for backing in, DD is the best at directing me for some reason knows exactly what to do also good for when kids go out of site.
2008 Ford F250 6.4PSD Zinger ZT26RL
graywolf67
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Mon May 12, 2008 9:45 am

You guys are cracking me up with this stuff. God knows I love her, but all that arm waving and gesturing mean absolutely nothing to anyone but her. So I let her do it as I back up. I roll down the window to make it look good.
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby Carolina Cruiser on Mon May 12, 2008 10:55 am

We bought a set to save us from the headaches of her arm signals that I cannot see half the time. Since we have the walkies, and yes I recommend everyone needs them if not for backing but to keep in touch with your children of all ages in the campground, We stop look at the site decide where the drivers side rear corner of the Cruiser needs to be and then I watch the mirror and listen to her talk me to the spot. No more yelling and hating set up time. We have the rechargeable kind and when we hook up the TT we put them in the TV and when we get to the site we turn them on and use them the entire time we are there for one thing or another. Another great theing is today most of them have channels that work with other walkies, so if you are in a group or traveling together it is like having a CB radio instead of having to use cell phons all the time.
Carolina Cruiser

Unread postby lifelongcampers on Mon May 12, 2008 12:42 pm

We have and use them too. Mainly for the oldest child to take if he is not with us.
lifelongcampers

Unread postby Limey on Mon May 12, 2008 12:53 pm

fla-gypsy wrote:You guys are cracking me up with this stuff. God knows I love her, but all that arm waving and gesturing mean absolutely nothing to anyone but her. So I let her do it as I back up. I roll down the window to make it look good.

...and I thought I was the only one who did that! :mrgreen:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Mon May 12, 2008 11:50 pm

PrivatePilot wrote:We have 4, so if any or all of us split up, we're always in communication. We've used them at theme parks before, and camping all the time - the kids are not allowed to leave the campsite without them.

I'm a strong believer in the Motorola line - all four of ours are the "Talkabout" series.. One of mine (believe it or not) flew off my belt clip on a rollercoaster at a theme park once (yes, I was dumb and thought it would hold, but it didn't) and after the ride was finished someone was standing at the exit saying to everybody "did you loose a radio?" I realized it was mine after a quick check of my belt. now sans radio..

It came back as a pile of pieces - the back cover had flown off, the circuit board was hanging out, one battery was missing, etc. I put it all back together, put a battery back in it, and it still works perfect to this day. Made me a believer in Motorola quality. :-)

Thought about Motorola, love their phones. Thanks PP. 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby Zinger on Tue May 13, 2008 7:16 am

son has a pair we will tru them for hookup sounds safer.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Frank Henn on Mon May 26, 2008 3:55 pm

Came up with a solution for the radio problem this week end. I have painted the Antenna high vis orange :D :D :D That way when she is pointing with the radio I can see which way I may or may not want to go :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Frank and Janet Henn
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Limey on Mon May 26, 2008 5:27 pm

Frank Henn wrote:Came up with a solution for the radio problem this week end. I have painted the Antenna high vis orange :D :D :D That way when she is pointing with the radio I can see which way I may or may not want to go :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You could always paint her finger!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Terry on Mon May 26, 2008 5:57 pm

We use them. At the CG DW just tells me when to stop, and watches for overhanging trees, and stuff. at home. the backing is a little more involved. I havve to back out of the rioad, thru the front yard, between the trees, and flower gardens, and then down the side yard, thru the side gate, and then turn to park beside the out building. have to go thru the gate at such a angle, To almost hit both sides at the same time, while leaving enough room to turn the front of the TV. So DW tells me when I am going to hit something, and what, and when to stop for the fence at the back of the yard. then helps to stop on the cement paving stones, once I get it straight. so Yeah. We use our's alot. Wee even use then at the CG. When DW is laying on the beach, and it is time for her to turn over.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:59 pm

Terry wrote:We use them. At the CG DW just tells me when to stop, and watches for overhanging trees, and stuff. at home. the backing is a little more involved. I have to back out of the road, thru the front yard, between the trees, and flower gardens, and then down the side yard, thru the side gate, and then turn to park beside the out building. have to go thru the gate at such a angle, To almost hit both sides at the same time, while leaving enough room to turn the front of the TV. So DW tells me when I am going to hit something, and what, and when to stop for the fence at the back of the yard. then helps to stop on the cement paving stones, once I get it straight. so Yeah. We use our's alot. Wee even use then at the CG. When DW is laying on the beach, and it is time for her to turn over.

Sounds like me with our old TT....I sure wish I could fit the new one in my yard! 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby BillnJolene on Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:36 pm

We probably have 8 of these. Bought a pair way back, used them pretty well, but DW turns hers off to save battery, so when I call she doesn't hear me. (they are rechargable) Got a group of 3, they were smaller, and it was a bargain. Got another pair as 2 way communicators for the motorcycle, but after 35 you can't hear.

OK, they are great when turned on. When in range. When all the channels aren't filled with kids. (useless when we were at Disney)

Worth getting? Heck yeah.
Bill & Jolene
RV-ing since 1972
Current Rig: 1997 Southwind 35P
2006 Yamaha VStar 1100
1970 Norton Commando
1996 Honda Accord toad
and our trusty Chihuahua Koda
BillnJolene

Unread postby skipnchar on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:13 pm

BillnJolene wrote:We probably have 8 of these. Bought a pair way back, used them pretty well, but DW turns hers off to save battery, so when I call she doesn't hear me.

I had a friend some years ago when CBs were all the rage and he needed to justify purchasing them. He decided if he had a base station at home and a mobile in his car he could call his wife and have her open the garage door for him so he didn't have to stop when he got home from work. Only problem was she'd get tired of listening to all the trash all day and turn the base unit off or at least turn it down and he'd have to stop on the way home and use the phone to remind her to turn the radio on so he could call her to open the door. He said the system worked pretty well and he was SURE glad he had the radios :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Frank Henn on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:46 pm

Just back from camping. Went to town yesterday, and ran across a flea market. on of the stands had a set (2) walkie talies from the Nam days. I bought them for 2 dollars If I cant get them to work they will make a great pointer for Janet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Frank and Janet Henn
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:19 pm

oops
Last edited by Mike in Calgary on Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:22 pm

Frank Henn wrote:Just back from camping. Went to town yesterday, and ran across a flea market. on of the stands had a set (2) walkie talies from the Nam days. I bought them for 2 dollars If I cant get them to work they will make a great pointer for Janet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do they have a nice long antenna that you can paint bright orange? If they're green, they may not help you too much as pointers. Too hard to see them. :D
BTW, I really like the Midlands that I bought off e-bay. Crystal clear reception with a 10 mile range. I had to download an instruction manual from Midland's website. I'm glad they had one available.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Frank Henn on Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:37 pm

Thinking of painting antenna orange with a triangle flag at the end :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Frank and Janet Henn
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby mike54 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:59 pm

Limey wrote:
Frank Henn wrote:Came up with a solution for the radio problem this week end. I have painted the Antenna high vis orange :D :D :D That way when she is pointing with the radio I can see which way I may or may not want to go :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You could always paint her finger!

yea paint the middle finger so he knows shes p*ssed when he yells at her. :mrgreen:
mike54

Return to General RV Discussion