Skip to content

Change font size

Are some people "Over extended" with ownership?

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Are some people "Over extended" with ownership?

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:34 pm

I've been following all the fuel price threads at a few other forums and have started to notice a theme - there are two sorts of people complaining about the cost of fuel:

1/ The modest family who has a modest RV setup and just wants to enjoy camping, but is finding it increasingly hard because the budget is getting tight.

2/ The person who has $100,000 invested between their TV and TT (big payments every month) and subsequently state that they can't afford to go far, or are considering just leaving it in their driveway this year, or putting it in a park.

Personally, I think I'm comfortably somewhere in between - we have a very modest setup and it's all paid for, but at the same time we can afford to travel as much as we please with little worry about the cost of fuel. Yes, fuel prices suck, but it's not going to stop us from going anywhere we want in the end. Why? Because we don't have a huge payment every month on either the TV or the TT.

If we did have big payments (and I can only guess that a few people are paying upwards of $600 to $800/Month between their TV and TT payments) we too would probably be rethinking the budget and the cost of fuel like many others.

Yes, I'd love to have a brand new truck, a fancy new trailer with all the bells and whistles...but we'd probably never be able to afford to go anywhere in it because of the costs.

Am I the only one looking at things from this perspective?
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Are some people "Over extended" with ownership?

Unread postby Zinger on Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:40 pm

I have payments but the price of gas is not worth complaining about it wont change. I look at it like this: Memories that we make with our kids are priceless (sounds like a commercial) we all have things that we are friviolous with. I dont like the price of gas but its life and life is what we have made it.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby milzat on Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:09 pm

I feel as Zinger does.
The price of gas sucks, but it won''t effect our camping trips. At least not far now. We camp mostly in state or one state away. Once a year we'll travel a bit farther. At this point, I'm not complaining. If it gets to $5, I might grit my teeth. :x
We have NO payments on our TT, but do on our TV. It's DW's daily driver, We'll always have notes on our daily driver as we trade often.

We're gone camping. :)

Mike
Me and the Wife
milzat

Unread postby Zinger on Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:14 pm

It does make you wonder if the market will be flooded with used TT and TV's soon.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby cougarlover on Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:16 pm

Zinger wrote:I have payments but the price of gas is not worth complaining about it wont change. I look at it like this: Memories that we make with our kids are priceless (sounds like a commercial) we all have things that we are friviolous with. I dont like the price of gas but its life and life is what we have made it.

My thoughts exactly. I havent even opened that thread because I know where it is going. We cant do anything about the prices of gas. I am also not going to sit around and pass the time laid up in my house because of it. Life is too short. The money will come from somewhere to make ends meet and still enjoy life. It always does. We bought our trailer to make memories with our kids. Something dh and I never got growing up. We have 5 kids between the 2 of us. The age difference makes it hard to plan vacations but everyone loves to camp.

ttfn
nan
Nancy wife to Rob and mom to 3 beautiful girls
2 fur pals 4 year old Shih Tzu Dexter and recently adopted 1 year old Boxer Shreder

2007 Keystone Cougar BHS
2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500
cougarlover

Unread postby skipnchar on Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:35 pm

If I was doing only local camping the price of gas wouldn't be any concern to me either and it would NEVER stop me from heading to the lake for a weekend or a week. Taking a 10 or 15 thousand mile trip two or three times a year it concerns me quite a bit though. Give me a 30 MPH headwind and I can HEAR the gas being sucked out of my 35 gallon tank :D Prevailing winds in Kansas are out of the Southwest so I may have to go to Maine on vacation this year and sell the trailer when it's time to turn around and head home LOL.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:13 pm

skipnchar wrote: Taking a 10 or 15 thousand mile trip two or three times a year it concerns me quite a bit though.

Understandably so. Our big trip out west this year will run us about 7000 miles once we're all done with the destinations and detours to reach them, but we started saving up for the fuel budget on this trip last fall. The money is all set aside now, even for the possibility (or increasingly reality) of $5.00/gallon diesel.

There's now way we'd be able to afford to run 30,000 or 40,000 miles per year, however...without winning the lottery first.

However, it seems that alot of the people complaining the loudest about fuel costs are not always the ones going the furthest, or most often.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dalenoel on Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:43 am

PrivatePilot wrote:However, it seems that alot of the people complaining the loudest about fuel costs are not always the ones going the furthest, or most often.

Of the 4 couple originally planning the trip with us around Lake Superior, we have only one complaining about the cost of fuel. The rest of don't like the high cost but there have been no complaints. They are going to leave their trailer parked at their cabin up north and not make the trip with us.

It seems that their priorities are not neccessarily wrong but different than ours and they put their value in the cabin and not in camping. That would be no different than me complaining about the cost of cabins and that I can't afford one when I choose to put all my resources into the TT and TV. Sometimes we just choose to have one or the other while others just choose to complain.
04 Dodge RAM Quad Crew Cab 4x4
08 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
Hensley Arrow
Prodigy Controller
Wife and I, Oreo the Malshi, and maybe a grandkid or two
dalenoel

Unread postby JQSpree on Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:53 pm

PP,
Yep, we probably fit your description. Counting a new truck (1 yr old) and the new KZ, we spent more than we anticipated. They wanted almost as much for a 2-3 yr old loaded truck and had hard time finding used travel trailer that had our must haves. So for next 4-5 years, we will have more going out than we thought. House will be paid for about then, also the truck and all we will have is the trailer. Since I an retiring at end of month, and Darlene at end of year (she is much younger, she says!), we will travel.

But when i made the purchase arguement after just lookin for last 20 yrs, I thought we would use it for extended east coast and south trips to see U.S. we haven't seen. And then there is Canada and Alaska! The gas cost will make us think a little longer about those trips and weigh alternatives. I know I can cruise up there and back much cheaper, but we want to see more.

And if you check the price of hotel rooms, airline tickets are going up correspondingly with fuel surcharges. And as dollar loses value, we lose our benefits to going out of country except to Mexico.
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Frank Henn on Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:57 am

The high cost of fuel, is certainly a factor. We are fortunate to Live in the deep south, and go out one to two times a month. We have around seventy five camp grounds in a hundred mile radius this makes going to them all most reasonable. We went out this last week end to one of our favorite camp grounds. In the past there have only been five or six other campers there. When we pulled in the whole campground was filled. Then cut across country and went to the new Jellystone park got in there four hundred sites but it also had a lot of campers. Turns out it is spring break.. I think people will still be out maybe not as long distance but closer to home
Frank and Janet Henn
with Hoover the Wonder Dog Now introducing Rainbow the wonder puppy
2008 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL
pushing a 2005 Dodge 2500 CDT
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Rough2000 on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:14 am

I guess I am blessed in that I just throughly enjoy the camping experience; meeting different people; and live in a state that has some of the greatest campgrounds. If the price of fuel gets too high, I will stay closed to home. I will not let a few hundred dollars stand between me and my camping. If I need too, I will find other ways to cut back...like limiting the number of new shoes DW can buy (opps did I say that) :o . I think this shows why we must keep on our states to keep up our campgrounds and parks. We can't assume we will always be able to go somewhere else. It's not the price of fuel that I am concerned about, as it is the availability of fuel. Remember the 70's
2006 Dodge Mega Cab w/ Cummins
"Real Trucks don't have Spark Plugs"
2009 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
What you said, what you thought you said and what I thought you said are THREE different things.
Rough2000
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:52 am

You're really blessed in another way also. Talking about all of the great camping areas near your home. The Lake Ouachita area has some that are fantastic. We've got a FEW nice ones run by the COE but Kansas State Parks are a mess. Some don't even have bathrooms in the campground. Doesn't bother us now with the trailer but poor tent campers have a problem. They're also now allowing folks to store their boats and RVs in many of the camping areas so they're starting to resemble some of the seedier seasonal places now. Only a matter of time before the pole barns start going up and blue tarps over the roofs. I think it's a shame. Good luck / Skip

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Rough2000 on Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:31 pm

Skip,

You are right about Lake Ouachita, I'm about 20 miles from the State Park and 30 -35 miles from a couple of COE campgrounds. Lake Ouachitais supposed to be one of the cleanest lakes in the US. It is at the top of a chain of three lakes and no building is allowed on it. Another neat campground nearby is Charlton. It is operated by the National Park Service. Has a neat little creek that is spring fed. It was built by the CCC and has a dammed up area for the swimming hole. Being it is spring fed it never does get warm...even on a hot Arkansas day.

I am sorry to hear about your state campgrounds. Arkansas several years ago started using 1/8 cent of the sales tax dollars to fix up our state parks. As the result, we have several state parks where the campgrounds have been rebuilt with full hookups and new restroom/showers. Tourism means a lot to Arkansas so we are trying to improve things. I would rather see us spend the tax money on parks rather than the way it can be wasted on programs in downtown Little Rock.

Bill

By the way, what happened to the picture of "Spot". My camping buddie is pictured in my avatar. Golden Retriever and she loves the water.
2006 Dodge Mega Cab w/ Cummins
"Real Trucks don't have Spark Plugs"
2009 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
What you said, what you thought you said and what I thought you said are THREE different things.
Rough2000
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Mikey on Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:41 pm

Well, we made sure we had the money before we went out and bought the TT. We did have to borrow about 5k from our Mortgage account, but that'll be paid back as soon as some of my cheques come through. I didn't want to get a loan just to find it out wasn't for me.
2008 Amerilite 23bw
Towed by a Silverado 2500 HD.
Other toys:CBR1100XX,EX500 ImageImage

Speed doesn't kill. Your wife finding out you got a ticket, does.
Mikey
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Benny on Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:05 pm

We fall into the catagory of a little "over extended". We figured that we wanted to enjoy camping with the kids while they are still young enough. If we waited until we could afford to pay cash for what we wanted, we still wouldn't have anything. I'm sure the time will come when they don't want to tag along with mom and dad and will be spending their summers working at home. At that time we can sell our 5er and downsize. I grew up camping every summer (for the entire summer vacation) and want my kids to enjoy and create their own memories.
We just returned from Disney (FW) last Dec and this summer we hope to spend a couple of weeks in the Maritimes. I'm sure that the memories of these family vacations will last a life time (at least longer than my payments).
2005 Glendale Titanium 28E33B
2005 Chev Duramax 2500 CC
Benny

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:35 pm

Welcome to the forum, Benny.

If you can still afford to put fuel in the truck and actually go places (despite todays fuel costs) then I'd say you not terribly over extended.

I have in the last month or so read alot of stories from people who own very high priced equipment with large payments, but then say that they really can't afford to take it anywhere anymore. That's over extended, IMHO.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Benny on Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:21 am

Thanks for the welcome PP. I agree ... if I can't afford to go anywhere, then what's the use of having the trailer. I'm not ready for a seasonal site yet. I also have a pilot licence but found that hobby was getting real expensive. I couldn't do both so we decided to continue the camping.
2005 Glendale Titanium 28E33B
2005 Chev Duramax 2500 CC
Benny

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:26 am

Money was certainly PART of the reason we gave up sailing. MOSTLY though it wasn't Charlotte's favorite thing to do and RVing was one we both enjoyed. Another major factor was time. Ever since we discovered that there are only 24 hours in a day and even more importantly, only 7 days in a week, we've had to limit ourselves and sold the boat. Have to admit that having TWO black holes sucking up the money (boat AND RV) is hard to support. From a TIME standpoint with the sail boat, the RV and family life it made it too hard to find time to get in a round of golf :o

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:08 am

I see a lot of people with those huge rigs and payments that go with them.
We were very lucky to be able to pay cash for our TT & TV. 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby 1tonmegacab on Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:40 am

i live in texas and we have some great and i mean great state parks that range in the area of 18-20$ a night they all have water/electric and ome even have sewer also and the ones that dont or course have a dump station on the way in

i camp anywhere from dallas all the way to the coast in corpus christi area and that is about 7 hours away we have one park that is only about 45 minutes away and its great because even a weekend that you might have to work a sat morn you can still go because it is close

i tend not to worry myself about other people stuff ( what they have/how much it costs and how they gonna pay for it)there is a price for everything and if that price means setting up at a seasonal or only going a little ways from home then so be it

i myself have a very expensive set up i had payments at first and they were high the truck was 800.00 per month and the new camper was 600.00 so that was 1400.00 per month for something that i used 10 times a year but i have since paid off both so no more payments

i here some people talk and say did you see so and so drives a hummer and ran out of gas because they had to wait to get paid before they could get gas well thats the difference between somebody that can really afford to have something and somebody who cant

the person who can afford the hummer really dont care about the cost of gas in the hummer and wont be running out and the one who cant well eventually it will catch up to them and the hummer will be gone

and i view anything above and beyond the everyday necessities to live as a extra and if you have to get rid or cut back on a extra to be able to camp then so be it then once again you can truly afford it and when all the extras are gone and you cant afford to camp then you never really could afford it to begin with

the ones i love are the ones that complain about being poor but have cables tv and cell phones ( i never had a cell phone until i was 30)im sorry but people who are truly poor dont have cable and cell phones

now i say this because i live in dallas area the land of the 100k millionaire its crazy the way people around here live beyond their means and have to work 80 plus hours a week to have that big house and fancy car
1tonmegacab

Unread postby JBandMJ on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:11 am

Are some people “Over extended” with ownership? Absolutely !

70% of our friends and family are OVER extended, yet they still put “W” before “N”.
W= want N=need
Nothing like sitting around the camp site and listening to a bunch of people whining about gas prices and the high cost of Rving.

OK… I’m ready to be “Black Balled”.
Jim & Marilyn
Mulvane, Kansas
2004 33 V Winnebago Adventure
JBandMJ

Unread postby CanadianRVers on Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:54 pm

We have a pymt on our RV but none on our TV. Still I think if I want to drive it or tow it then as much as I hate the price of fuel I have no room to complain. I made the decision to have a big fifth wheel & Deisel truck not anyone else. so it is my cross to bear & you all should not have to listen to moaning about costs.
Just my .02 worth
CanadianRVers
Doug & Cindy Walsh
08Kingston33SK
04 Silverado D/A
ImageImage
CanadianRVers

Unread postby BAJA X on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:46 pm

The gas prices haven't slowed us down, most of our camping is with in 200 to 300 miles round trip. Plus all of our toys are paid for (atvs,motorcycle,snowmobiles,trucks) so that helps the killer is gas for the toys usually cost the most. The hardest is snowmobiling since Minnesota has seen the lack of snow (except this year) we have to travel to northern Wis. or the U.P. of Mich. plus the cost of a cabin or hotel and not to mention the sleds only get 10 mpg is the biggest cost. we didn't buy the TT and the toys to sit in storage so until we run out of money or go broke or get to old we will continue to have as much fun as we can.
2008 F-350 V-10 Crew Cab Lariat S/Duty 4X4
2008 XT30SB CrossRoads CrossForce
2004 DS650 Baja x
2004 Outlander 400XT
1989 H.D. Springer Softail
BAJA X

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:11 pm

1tonmegacab wrote:now i say this because i live in dallas area the land of the 100k millionaire its crazy the way people around here live beyond their means and have to work 80 plus hours a week to have that big house and fancy car

That just gets ya doesn't it....can't buy food or pay rent but they a computer and a big screen TV and a cell and and and....
Jerry & Sharon †
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:12 pm

JBandMJ wrote:Are some people “Over extended” with ownership? Absolutely !

70% of our friends and family are OVER extended, yet they still put “W” before “N”.
W= want N=need
Nothing like sitting around the camp site and listening to a bunch of people whining about gas prices and the high cost of Rving.

OK… I’m ready to be “Black Balled”.

If you are....I'm going with you! I totally agree. 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:25 pm

The "Want" versus "Need" topic is very true.

I think to some extent most of us that RV "want" to do so. With few exceptions (fulltimers with no homes) there's no "need" to RV, so to some extent we are all a bunch of "Wanters". :D

That said, I think that the line gets drawn when it comes down to "Needing" a basic RV to enjoy the camping experience, and "Wanting" that shiny new $70,000 elite TT sitting on the dealers lot. I tell you, I looked at a $80,000 TT last weekend purely for shits and giggles and I'd sure "Want" to have it, but I don't "Need" the payments. ;)
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General RV Discussion