Skip to content

Change font size

Trip Journals?

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Trip Journals?

Unread postby JQSpree on Sat May 03, 2008 12:07 pm

Do most of you keep a journal with info on each rv trip you take? If so what kinds of data do you keep? Where, when, how far,campground, site #, pros and cons, other sites that look better? Not talking about budget or list of expenses so much as info on campground, etc.

I keep a journal on all of our major vacations and planned to do the same thing for camping trips. But I found that I was putting way too much info in this book. I need to find a summary format that I can keep separate so I can find info quickly for a trip or campground? Lets here some good advice on what we do?
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Re: Trip Journals?

Unread postby skipnchar on Sat May 03, 2008 12:37 pm

My old job with the state included developing data base files for record keeping. I wrote myself a data base file to enter trip information into while traveling. It tracks miles traveled, gas mileage, cost per mile has spaces for notes about camping locations, campsite cost, restaurants visited travel notes and charts misc. expenses for the trip. It interacts with another file to also keep track of bills and bank account information and expenses are automatically deducted from my banking account and the account is always automatically balanced.

If my laptop ever dies i'll just shoot myself cause I'd NEVER be able to get back home :D
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby catmom on Sat May 03, 2008 1:41 pm

Despite the time I spend on this & other online forums :), I'm really a paper-brain at heart, so my trip & camping journals are still in notebook style. I started out using small (6x9 or so) SE ledger books, and now that I can't find them anymore, have had to switch. Currently we're using a camping-specific log book from Journals Unlimited in MI - bought it at a CG a couple years ago, a little pricey.

Anyway, the data I include: name & general location (usually closest town & state) of the CG; dates we stayed there; what the weather was like; site #; ideal site #s if applicable; general description of the CG; hookups included; price we paid for our site; notes on things like what we liked the best & what we disliked the most about the CG and/or our stay there; memorable events about our stay; advantages & disadvantages of the CG; and a 3-number rating system I devised (similar to Trailer Life's but paying attention to what's important for us personally). Sometimes I'll make note of where other folks are from in the CG (judging from license plates). If we base-camped there for several days and did sightseeing, I'll mention where we went. I also make summaries at the end of the year, including # nights camped, # locations (CGs) camped in, and # states visited during the camping season.

In addition, I keep a regular travel journal, which keeps track of our expenses, both cash & on credit cards, and has a narrative of each day's travel.

Keeps me busy, since I'm also the principal driver and chief cook & bottle washer!! :roll:
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sat May 03, 2008 6:26 pm

For most trips I don't keep track of much, personally - I can remember a specific park well enough to know if I ever want to go back again or not, and I still vividly remember many parks that I haven't been to in 10+ years.

I do keep meticulous records of my fuel milage, though. I actually have an application called "MPG" on my iPhone which keeps track of all the important stuff and calculates my fuel milage for me after you input everything. I also keep a backup of the data on my iPhones "notepad" just in case the application goes boom, as the notepad backs up to my Mac everytime I sync the iPhone.

For our big trip this year I'll probably keep a few folders aside for receipts and such, but I'm not going to worry too much about totals and calculations, but just keep them for reference.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ButteBumBob on Sat May 03, 2008 10:42 pm

I just wing-it and take lots of pictures.
2004 Crossroads Cruiser 29rk
2004 GMC Sierra, crewcab,SB,4x4,Duramax/Allison
1973 Seeker travel trailer (for the short trips)

ButteBumBob
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Limey on Sat May 03, 2008 11:58 pm

ButteBumBob wrote:I just wing-it and take lots of pictures.

That's pretty much what I do - I really don't want to remember how much the trip cost me!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Mon May 05, 2008 9:41 pm

Don't care where I go, don't care what it costs. I just go! 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby ButteBumBob on Mon May 05, 2008 10:13 pm

The Wood Tinker wrote:Don't care where I go, don't care what it costs. I just go! 8-)

I like your attitude.
2004 Crossroads Cruiser 29rk
2004 GMC Sierra, crewcab,SB,4x4,Duramax/Allison
1973 Seeker travel trailer (for the short trips)

ButteBumBob
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby JQSpree on Tue May 06, 2008 9:42 pm

Lots of different ways to address this subject. Guess we will try trial and error until we find one that works for us without being real work!! Since I am the trip planner, travel journel writer, driver, and in charge of tt and getting ready, I don't want any more work than necessary. But at the same time, if we have knowledge of something I want to retain it for the next time. I hate doing same thing twice. I guess everyone else wings it.Thanks for all the info.
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Tue May 06, 2008 11:32 pm

That's the idea, do what works for you. That is what camping is all about. 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Tue May 06, 2008 11:42 pm

Sometimes you have to have that attitude. Especially with gas prices the way they are. If you want to camp and go places you just got to do it. Can't worry too much about the cost or you won't go!

Joe

The Wood Tinker wrote:Don't care where I go, don't care what it costs. I just go! 8-)
2004 Fleetwood Prowler 25Z Limited Edition (Bunkhouse)
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie, 2wd, Ext.Cab, 5.9L Magnum 360
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby campinfan on Fri May 09, 2008 10:28 pm

I received one as a gift. It is a spiral bound book. I like it. I can put funny, good, bad things that happened and who I camped with. I think it will be funny in 20 years to see me writing about my new rig and truck.
2007 Crossroads Cruiser CT32SB
2008 F 250 Super Crew FX4, V10 4.10 Tow Command Package
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii12 ... 311412.jpg
campinfan

Return to General RV Discussion