Skip to content

Change font size

Do you have any big trips planned this year?

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Do you have any big trips planned this year?

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Fri May 02, 2008 12:18 am

I know that the price of fueling our tow vehicles is getting pretty outrageous, but is anyone else planning a big trip trip this year? Say more than 500 miles from home each way. We've all got decent local camping that we enjoy, but I, for one, like to travel and explore a little bit more than some people. We're heading to Boulder, CO for 2 weeks at the end of July to see DW's sister and her hubby who have been on our case for a few years to get down to their place. Its about 1200 miles each way and we know that the fuel cost is going to be the single biggest expense, but the taxman was really nice to us with a refund this year, so we'll put some of that towards the trip. We're planing on 3 days to drive each direction, so the daily fuel cost won't seem so bad. I just won't look at the total. At least the camping fees at their place will be reasonable.
There is no such thing as a bad day camping.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Do you have any big trips planned this year?

Unread postby LA_Bolt_Fan on Fri May 02, 2008 2:06 am

Our "BIG" trip this year is one night in Pismo Beach, Then visiting my sister in Gilroy, CA for two nights. The next night is in San Francisco (For AWESOME dim sum in China Town), the following two nights are in The City of Napa, CA. From there we are going to Bodega Bay for two more nights. Next we are off to Moss Landing near Santa Cruz for one night. Finally ending up at Morro Bay on the beach, then sadly back home and back to work , BOOOOOOOOOO!! :evil:
Backpacking one weekend, RV'ing the next!!
2007 Thor Summit 22rb
2000 Dodge Ram Van 2500 5.2L / 3.92 Gear
1 Beautiful Wife and 2 Happy Traveling Iguanas
San Diego SUPER Charger Fan
LA_Bolt_Fan

Unread postby Frank Henn on Fri May 02, 2008 5:55 am

We were going to Colorado with the camper, this would have been around 3200 miles when we were done. Instead We will go to Alabama, and keep it in 1000 mile range
Frank and Janet Henn
with Hoover the Wonder Dog Now introducing Rainbow the wonder puppy
2008 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL
pushing a 2005 Dodge 2500 CDT
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby catmom on Fri May 02, 2008 8:11 am

Every 5 years, for the last 30 or so, we've had a reunion in Yellowstone with the folks I used to work with there (who have all become good friends). This is the every-5th-year, and the reunion is planned, and we plan to go. Yes, it will be about a 5000-mile trip all told, and yes, it will be expensive (even more so now that we bought a bigger, heavier trailer!), but we plan to enjoy it. With DH finally retired and able to spend the time on such a trip, we sure don't want to stay home!!
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby csham on Fri May 02, 2008 9:04 am

We've got our trip planned for early August, a little under 1000 miles round trip. Spending some time in Frankenmuth, Michigan and then to Shipshewana, Indiana for a few days before heading back home.

Chris, Ruth, and our 3 girls - Samantha, Tara, and Erica
1999 Chevy Silverado Z71
2007 CrossRoads Sunset Trail ST30BH
csham

Unread postby cwit on Fri May 02, 2008 9:07 am

We are going 1200 hundred miles one way to Florida this winter Headed to Jacksonville. Will take about 4 short trips of 200 to 300 miles this summer. :D
cwit

Unread postby wintek on Fri May 02, 2008 10:12 am

My wife and I have a trip to Henderson Beach State Park, Destin Florida end of June. It meets your criteria – 503 miles one way. With the cost of gas, we considered canceling but decided it’s not getting any cheaper so it’s now or never. Also, with the government stimulus check of $1,200.00 should cover our entire trip nicely.
wintek
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby antiqfreq on Fri May 02, 2008 11:03 am

We are planning a 1800 round trip end of July - first week of August - we'll be gone about 12 days.

We are looking forward to it - regardless of the price of diesel !

I'm going dang it!

Jo
2007 Keystone Cougar 291RLS
2003 F250 - 7.3 diesel baby !
antiqfreq

Unread postby skipnchar on Fri May 02, 2008 11:14 am

We're hoping to make it back to the mountains somewhere in colorado, Utah or Idaho some time this summer but haven't got around to firm plans yet. I just HAVE to get my "mountain fix" every year SOMEWHERE.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Fri May 02, 2008 6:20 pm

Longest trip is about 350 miles, one also of about 250 miles all others 100 miles or less.
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Fri May 02, 2008 7:03 pm

We're planning on going to the west coast (Vancouver) and back through the US including Yellowstone, etc. By the time we're done touring everwhere, spending a bunch of time in Banff, Vancouver, Yellowstone, etc etc etc we expect to roll off about 6500 miles.

6 Weeks to departure. See the link in my signature "Our Go-West adventure" for the full skinny.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby graywolf67 on Fri May 02, 2008 8:28 pm

Lord willing we are planning a trip to west Texas , Davis mountains and Big bend and Seminole canyon, it should be around 3000 miles but we have saved for the gas, the rest of the year we will be going between 180 to 250 miles per trip, the gas prices are slowing us down a bit :( but there are still some nice parks around Houston. :mrgreen:
2008 Ford F250 6.4PSD Zinger ZT26RL
graywolf67
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby ButteBumBob on Fri May 02, 2008 11:47 pm

We have a trip planned to Colorado. Our son lives in Denver and we will use that as our home base. We were going to take the fifth-wheel to Yellowstone in August but, due to fuel costs we probably won't be able to make it this summer. We will probaly go to our local lake more than ever. We do have a boat and we keep our fifth-wheel in storage at the lake. We keep a small travel trailer at the house for the short mountain (fix) trips.
2004 Crossroads Cruiser 29rk
2004 GMC Sierra, crewcab,SB,4x4,Duramax/Allison
1973 Seeker travel trailer (for the short trips)

ButteBumBob
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Fire Instructor on Sat May 03, 2008 9:01 am

Our "big one" will be in August, to Assateague Island, MD. That's a full day's+ drive, but it's more than worth the trip! Since we have a new TT, it's "shake-down" will be Mmorial Day Weekend, relatively close to home, just over the border in Vermont. Then we are going to the Boston area for a long weekend for July 4th. We also have camping reservations at Dover for the Fall race.

We will likely do a weeend or two in the Adirondacks, but we haven't planned them yet...
Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller

Fire Instructor
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Clyder on Mon May 05, 2008 10:19 pm

This summer Our family is planning a trip to my home town of Sheboygan Wisconsin. We plan to be driving nearly 3000 miles round trip and will be camping at Kohler Andrae State Park which is just south of Sheboygan for 7 nights. This will be our first time at this park. We made our campsite reservations at the end of last summer (They accept reservations 11 months in advance) and we were still limited on getting a campsite. We had to get 3 nights at one campsite and 4 nights at another one because there wasn't a campsite still available to stay 7 continuos nights.
2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4 4.0L
2007 Hi-Lo 1707T 50th Year Anniversary Edition
Clyder

Unread postby lifelongcampers on Mon May 05, 2008 11:32 pm

With fuel cost what they are, our big RV trip will be from PA to VA this year. The really big trip will be from coast to coast on the Harley.
lifelongcampers

Unread postby Zinger on Tue May 13, 2008 7:14 am

All local and we will be stopping at grocery store on the way home instead of going back after we get unpacked this will help make up the difference in gas price for the weekend. At our locak CG this pastweekend most sites were full probably at least 80% and getting reservations is getting tough this is a 300 plus site CG I dont know if it is more locals or what but this tells me people are not slowing down due to gas prices. last year it was nothing to have 2-4 sites on each side of you empty.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Tue May 13, 2008 11:35 am

We are looking at taking the kids to Ft. Diseny at the end of the summer. I am excited about that. This will be the kids 1st time to disney so it ought to be great fun! We also have at least 1 trip planned for a week at myrtle beach also. Lots of weekend and long weekend trips.

Joe
2004 Fleetwood Prowler 25Z Limited Edition (Bunkhouse)
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie, 2wd, Ext.Cab, 5.9L Magnum 360
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby jp rver on Tue May 13, 2008 10:06 pm

Longest trip I can afford to take this year with the trailer in tow is the 100 mile journey over to Montauk State Park. I have been there once already this year, and hopefully can get at least another trip out that way this year. Every thing else is under 100 miles.
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Wed May 14, 2008 12:00 am

jp rver wrote:Longest trip I can afford to take this year with the trailer in tow is the 100 mile journey over to Montauk State Park. I have been there once already this year, and hopefully can get at least another trip out that way this year. Every thing else is under 100 miles.

JP, I Feel your pain. I am not sure what your miliage is like while towing with your Ram, but mine drops to like 7mpg. I have not actually checked the miliage, but I know it drops about 1/2. That is just crazy!

Joe
2004 Fleetwood Prowler 25Z Limited Edition (Bunkhouse)
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie, 2wd, Ext.Cab, 5.9L Magnum 360
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby jp rver on Wed May 14, 2008 1:01 am

ponyboy1995 wrote:
jp rver wrote:Longest trip I can afford to take this year with the trailer in tow is the 100 mile journey over to Montauk State Park. I have been there once already this year, and hopefully can get at least another trip out that way this year. Every thing else is under 100 miles.

JP, I Feel your pain. I am not sure what your miliage is like while towing with your Ram, but mine drops to like 7mpg. I have not actually checked the miliage, but I know it drops about 1/2. That is just crazy!

Joe

Truck and trailer I scale out right at 12,000 lbs. Towing, my Ram delivers between 8 and 10 mpg, usually closer to 8. I have gotten 9-10 mpg on a few occasions, but it takes a gentle touch on the "go" pedal. ;)

The best I have ever gotten on the highway is 14 mpg empty. I used to own a 99 Ram just like my current 95 only it was green, and it delivered similar mpg numbers.

I sure would like to have a newer Hemi, but I don't look to need to get rid of this truck until around 2011 or so. At the rate I put miles on it, I could probably wait even longer if I had to. Mechanically, the truck is great with only 66300 miles on it. However the body is starting to show its age a bit with a little rust on the driver's door bottom and paint peeling just a bit. The old farmer who used to own it may not have put many miles on it, but he definately used this truck as a truck and the numerous dings and small dents are proof. :lol:
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby campinfan on Wed May 14, 2008 6:42 pm

This summer we are going to Alabama for about 5 weeks. My son has some medical needs so we are going there and will be living in our rig for 5 weeks. We will be at Oak Mountain State Park for the hottest part of the summer.
2007 Crossroads Cruiser CT32SB
2008 F 250 Super Crew FX4, V10 4.10 Tow Command Package
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii12 ... 311412.jpg
campinfan

Unread postby sneakersjay on Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 am

I work weekends but I'm planning on taking my daughter and niece to Kentucky in July. We went to Colonial Williamsburg a while back. In the meantime I plan to take some short trips during the week after I get some health issues settled, but hope we can get to Acadia Nat'l Park (anyone know when the black flies subside?) and Niagara Falls.
Jay

2 kids, 2 dogs, 1 cat

Fleetwood Bounder
sneakersjay

Unread postby catmom on Thu May 29, 2008 12:43 pm

Somewhat off the subject: Good to see you here, sneakersjay! :)

OK, back to the topic. ;)
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:01 pm

My biggest trip this year is to pass as many gas stations as possible without stopping.... :roll:
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby cwit on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:02 am

You better get a bigger fuel tank for less stops. lol. WE are headed for New Hamphsier, Maine boarder on Friday, for 7 days. :D
cwit

Unread postby JQSpree on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:17 pm

Since we are still relatively new to rving, and my wife has to work, we so far been taking a four night trip each month since Jan. to check out trailer and learn what we are doing. Longest so far is twice over to closest ocean access where we stayed at two different places, probably about 140 miles each way from home. On 4 of the 5 trips, we have driven quite a bit w/o the trailer after getting there, exploring close by things, so our overall milage each time has been in the 400-500 mile range. Gas cost has been about $160 for each of those trips.

Our trip in June to sierra nevada mtns will be a little longer and then to Lassen NP in July will be the longest at 200-250 miles one way. For Aug and beyond still in planning stages.
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby thetwoofus on Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:48 pm

Yep! It's a shame I can't leave right now. ;)
Last year, or I should say last season we left Mi the middle of Jan and headed South. To keep out of a bad storm that was heading our way from the West, we ended up going through IN, KY,TN, AR, TX, NM, and AZ where we spent the last of Jan and into Feb. We stayed in Tuscon for a bit then went to Phoenix so see our Son who lives there and spent a while at Lake Pleasant and Lake Havasu (Spelling right?) then we went to CA to visit our Grand Sons and then back to AZ for a while.
We left AZ and headed South across NM and into Southern Texas. We spent time visiting a bunch of places along the southern coast line. We stayed in Mission TX for the month of March and then moved up around Corpus Christie for some time and then headed East through LA, MS, AL, and GA to my brothers place in South Carolina. About that time we started having some problems with our Aerolite TT and thought we'd better get headed home. So around the middle of April we shot up through NC, VA, KY IN and back into Mi.
It was a 8,989 mile trip and boy did we spend some bucks on gas. WOW!!! We did have a great time and really enjoyed the nice weather. But during that trip we decided that Aerolite had seen its last trip with us. Nice TT except for the lack of space and some not to good workmanship in the putting the darn thing together. We won't go into that.
We did leave the TT in AZ when we went to CA. We did the motel thing there. Saved a little on gas. :lol:
So in answer to the question about a trip this year? Yep but again we'll call it this season because it'll be after Christmas when we hit the road again and we have reservations in Mission TX at Sleepy Valley Ranch Resort. Nice place.. and a couple months at Rockport TX and from there, willl we'll see.
We really like that weather down there in the Southern Reo Grande Valley. A great place to spend the Winter. :D
2011 Cedar Creek 36B2 ordered with outside kitchen removed and a nice big wardrobe in it's place.
Pulled with a 2011 F-250 Super Duty 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab and 8' box with a Hensley Trailer Saver.
thetwoofus

Unread postby Retired Phone Man on Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:36 pm

TT was tied up with an axle problem from Jan to May. Decided to head down to Key West in June after the snowbirds left. It was 2200mi round trip and it was nice. Last time in Key West I was 11 yrs old around 1951 so had to go back. We are back home now and planning our yearly post Labor Day trip. Heading to Black Hills of SD and then west to Yellowstone. Never been to that area so doing a lot of research on things to see and best routes. We like history and scenery. Still need to do both coasts from bottom to top before I run out of money and move in with the kids. :mrgreen:
Retired Phone Man

Return to General RV Discussion