Skip to content

Change font size

Baking Stones

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Baking Stones

Unread postby rmw1990 on Thu May 01, 2008 9:56 pm

I have what some may consider a stupid question. I have read numerous times that putting a baking stone in your RV oven will help it bake more evenly. I finally located mine and am unsure where to put it. Do I put it on the rack under the whatever pan I am baking in or on the metal sheet above the burner?

Thanks your help in advance!
2000 F250 4X4 CC 7.3PSD
2007 Jayco Jayflight 28RBS
DH & 2 DSs and 1 Minnie Doxie (Lexa)
rmw1990

Re: Baking Stones

Unread postby skipnchar on Thu May 01, 2008 10:22 pm

Stone is a new one on me but I've heard others post about using a ceramic cookie sheet on the bottom of the oven for the same purpose. DW has found it is not necessary with our oven but she does make some adjustments to temp and time, usually turning whatever she's baking once during the bake time.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby rmw1990 on Thu May 01, 2008 10:47 pm

Thanks skipnchar! The baking stone I have is ceramic but is round instead of square. Am I understanding you to say others have put them in the very bottom below the burner instead of on the sheet of metal above the burner?
2000 F250 4X4 CC 7.3PSD
rmw1990

Unread postby skipnchar on Thu May 01, 2008 10:52 pm

You know...now that I think about it, I'm not really sure WHERE they're putting them. It would make more sense above the burner to me but I'm guessing now.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby LA_Bolt_Fan on Fri May 02, 2008 1:45 am

OK, Now I see Skip N Char, Cool!! Char is a beautiful woman and Skip seems to have a sinister look on his face!! :D
Just kidding Skip.
As for the baking stone, as an amateur chef, these are my thoughts. The purpose of a stone is to distribute even heat throughout food that is being baked directly on top of the stone without a pan, i.e. bisquets or Pizza. This is why your stone is round, for pizza dough. If you are baking in a pan, I would suggest placing the stone on the rack above the burner and placing your pan directly on top of the stone. This will even out the heat from the burner so that the center of your pan will not be hotter than the edges of the pan. Good luck and GOOD EATS!!!

LA BOLT FAN!!
Backpacking one weekend, RV'ing the next!!
2007 Thor Summit 22rb
2000 Dodge Ram Van 2500 5.2L / 3.92 Gear
1 Beautiful Wife and 2 Happy Traveling Iguanas
San Diego SUPER Charger Fan
LA_Bolt_Fan

Unread postby rmw1990 on Fri May 02, 2008 7:08 am

Thanks LABoltfan! I will try that. I have used the stone and put biscuits directly on the stone in the stick house oven. I was having trouble with anything I put in the TT burning up on the bottom. Maybe this will help!
2000 F250 4X4 CC 7.3PSD
rmw1990

Unread postby Carolina Cruiser on Fri May 02, 2008 8:15 am

We put ours on the metal above the burner, but the rack will work as well. We tryed some cheap brand first but it broke after a couple uses. Ya get what ya pay for. THe DW bought a stone from Pampered Chef and that solved the problem. She also bouth the round one so we can put it on the grill and have oven or grilled pizza. No more burnt bottoms.
Carolina Cruiser

Return to General RV Discussion