Skip to content

Change font size

Flat Tire

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Flat Tire

Unread postby kenss22 on Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:52 pm

I'm wondering what it is you use to fix a flat on an RV, when just doing a quick inspection at home or on the road. I'd like to do it myself and would rather not wait for roadside assistance. If you could recommend any products, that would be great. Thanks!
kenss22

Re: Flat Tire

Unread postby garyking on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:06 am

There is nothing worse than standing on the highway and changing the tire of your vehicle. First of all, park your vehicle on the side of the road, a part which is safe. Then bring out the Jack, Spare wheel and other tools which will already be available in your car! First, lose the nuts of the punctured wheel then take the wheel out, fit there another wheel and finally tight the bolts on the new wheels. This is quite simple!
garyking

Re: Flat Tire

Unread postby Limey on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:29 pm

Gary is describing the obvious way of changing a tire on a vehicle with single axles such as a car or a van.

Most RV trailers are dual axle. Firstly, if you HAVE to jack it up it is best to put the jack under the shackle of the leaf spring and not under the axle itseld, as they can bend. What I do is to pull the good wheel on that side up onto some blocks such that the wheel with the flat is suspended freely. Make sure you loosen the lug nuts on that wheel before running up on the blocks. Change the wheel and pull the trailer of the blocks.

There are products available such as the Trailer Aid. Camping World sells them.
Snap 2017-11-21 at 18.26.03.png

Snap 2017-11-21 at 18.25.36.png
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General RV Discussion