Skip to content

Change font size

Towing question

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Towing question

Unread postby ChrisCanada on Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:32 pm

I was wondering if someone could help me out....I am looking at Venture Sonic trailers and want the biggest one I can tow with a 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe XL V6 (rated for 5,000 lbs). I find the towing capacities confusing to figure out...I will likely be pulling my trailer once a year big distances from Ottawa Canada to Florida and Ottawa to Vancouver Island through the Rockies....so I do not want a trailer too big to pull even with the proper sway bars and proper hitch stuff.

The trailer I am looking at is the SN200VML and the specs are below....of course the dealer says no problem but I have heard that that info is not always reliable.....Can I tow this without any issues over long distance and sometimes hilly terrain??

GUVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight)* 3,760
Dry Hitch Weight* 310
Dry Axle Weight* 3,450
NCC (Net Carrying Capacity) 1,040
GVWR 4,800
ChrisCanada

Re: Towing question

Unread postby govols on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:37 pm

The one you're looking at will allow up to 4800#, and you can tow 5000#. Good. One issue right off the bat is "through the Rockies." The ratings say it's cool, but you're going to experience horrors due to climbing, and due to poor high altitude performance from you engine.

The next issue is long haul, and the fact that a full tank of fresh water, a full water heater, full propane bottles, battery, etc. will come close to 500# of the 1040 your camper will carry. If you're planning to load some groceries and luggage and pots and pans and....etc., so that you can do a few dry camps along the way, you're running heavy. Maybe within GVWR, but heavy. Unless your tow vehicle is seriously overpowered you're going to really have to take your time getting there.

Your Santa Fe is labeled with GVWR, a curb weight that usually includes all full on fluids and 150# for a driver, front and rear axle ratings, and max combined gross vehicle weight.

Santa Fe GVWR is both axles, combined, with all of you and your passengers, and luggage, and tongue weight.

You're going to have a hitch rating. That is tongue weight, laid down on rear axle mostly. You'll want a weight distribution hitch that helps leverage some of that forward onto the front axle.

Once you take you 4800 pound camper and hitch up, along with all you can carry, that's your combined gross weight. It may never exceed the total of both tow and towed's capacities combined, and all loads must be distributed across all of the axles so that none of the axles exceeds their rating.

What you're going to wind up with is a camper that's sometime about as heavy as it's allowed, hooked up to a Santa Fe that approach it's capacity, on a long road trips through mountains at elevations that impair your engine's performance.

Try to look for something with lower dry weight, make sure you add in options like AC/furnace, think through what you need to load in way of water and fuel and gear, and......

I think you can pull it, but I think you're pushing it, and might find it to be a bad towing experience. But you have a 2016 tow vehicle, so running out to upgrade isn't really an option. You'll have to compromise on your towable I think. Again, I think you would be okay from what I see, just frustrated from time to time.
govols

Unread postby RonJK on Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:20 am

ChrisCanada

Here is a link to a website that may help to answer your question.

It gives you all kinds of info on tow ratings and load ....FIFTH WHEEL SAFETY

Hope this helps.

Happy travels.
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby hamieuxcarl on Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:10 am

Hi guys i m new in this forum , my girlfriend and i have project to come in canada , we are both french and we would like to do it like camper's life , we plan to by a Ford 150 , and a 5th wheel but there is still one big question i can't find out on internet , do i need a permis to drive with a 5th wheel as a french driver ?

thanks for your responds

Best regards

Carl and Camille / traveler's couple :)
hamieuxcarl

Return to General RV Discussion