Skip to content

Change font size

Travel Trailer for just two couples ?

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Travel Trailer for just two couples ?

Unread postby Black Forest Kanuk on Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:42 pm

Hi.
I'm new to the forum and RV'ing.
I'm reaching that age when I need to start a bucket list. Before I get too old, I would like to travel. My wife has always wanted to see the Rocky mountains. I decided we should travel overland and settled on the idea of a travel trailer. My parents are still young enough so I will be bringing them with my wife and I. We also often entertain members of my wife's family who visit from Europe. In order to keep things reasonable, I decided if we travel I would want a maximum of 4 people.

I have been researching various floor plans on the net and have not yet found what I'm searching for. I am looking for a travel trailer (not a 5th wheel) that is designed for two couples. Basically two bedrooms, a kitchen/living area with shower/toilet.
Some floor plans I've seen have a "master bedroom" with a separate room, but the second room usually has bunk beds or the entire trailer design is more suited for a family with children. Not two couples.

Not that I have a problem with families...but is there an RV company that has a design for two adult couples?
(We have had our children but they are now grown up).

Thanks!
Black Forest Kanuk

Re: Travel Trailer for just two couples ?

Unread postby govols on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:55 pm

http://www.keystonerv.com/hideout/#/floorplans

Keystone has a few that have a bedroom on one end and full size bunk beds on the other. I'm sure one could have the top bunk replaced by overhead storage. Above is the link to their hideout plans. They have several more brands and floor plans vary. Decent web site and good pictures available to get a look and how a layout feels. I bet there are a couple of hundred floor plans to get a look see at what's available out there.

Cheers.
govols

Unread postby govols on Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:04 pm

If you look at that link, check out the 29BHS. It isn't right as is, but it has a master on the hitch end and what could easily be a second bedroom on the back end. I bet a call to some RV companies that are real close like this one and they could fix the floor plan to suit your needs.
govols

Unread postby Black Forest Kanuk on Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:30 pm

Hello again.
Thanks for the reply Govols.
Yes. The Hideout model is one of the many models with two bedrooms I was looking at on the internet. But as you mentioned, it would have to be modified. I'm pretty "handy" and certain that I could do what needed to be done to change it to the floor plan that I want. I was just surprised that there doesn't seem to be anything on the market that is already designed for two couples. I'm keeping all options open in my search, including used trailers. If I knew of any that were already made the way I want the floor plan to be it would just make the search easier. (and save me some time if I don't have to modify a trailer myself) Your suggestion to contact some RV companies and have them build me a trailer to suit my needs is also a good one. I will be taking my wife to some RV shows this spring and will be talking with some RV company reps. It will be interesting to see if what I want will make the trailer more expensive to purchase. In my mind "logic" should say that a trailer designed for 2 couples would require less materials and should be less expensive than a trailer designed with additional bunk beds for more than just 4 people. But I suspect, since I will be asking them to "NOT" install the bunk bed that would make it "custom built" and more expensive...
I will find out soon. Thanks for the advice.
Black Forest Kanuk

Unread postby govols on Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:04 pm

I have a similar problem, though utterly different. I'm trying to find a floor plan that provides a queen bed on the tongue, a living area in the rear with windows, and kitchen/bath in the middle. I dream of 4 season, large or duel grey tanks, open view from the living room/dinette, blah, blah, dream. I'm trying to fing a manufacturer who caters to a couple with no plans for guests, willing to factory install solar, inverter, etc.

Hard to find exactly what you want. Good luck...........
govols

Return to General RV Discussion