Skip to content

Change font size

Winterizing 5th wheel

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Winterizing 5th wheel

Unread postby Finlay on Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:12 pm

:D Hi All
Our first year wintering in Osoyoos and have a couple of questions I hope I can get some help with.

1. Is there some where out there to purchase skirting? How much should I expect to pay for it? And is it bulk and cut your own or custom fit?
2. Is 2inch styrofoam good insulation behind the skirting?
3. Is infrared heaters underneath sufficient and do I have to heat tape the parks water supply?

Thanks in advance
Later.......Cheers........Finlay :P
Finlay

Re: Winterizing 5th wheel

Unread postby RonJK on Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:31 pm

Most skirting is custom made for 5th wheels. You might find a dealer for your brand and they may be able to order, but that would be the vinyl style.

A mobile home builder would have the metal skirting if you are looking for that or people make their own with plywood also.
2" styrofoam would be good insulation behind the skirt. It does not get that cold in Osoyoos in the winter.

Infared heaters would be fine as long as you have power and the water lines in most parks are heat taped by the park, but you will require heat tape on your hose to the 5th wheel. You can buy premade heat taped RV hoses as well.

Also you want to keep your tanks closed until they need dumping and then you won't have to worry about the sewer line freezing as well.

Temperatures are around 0 - +2 C in the day to 0 - -10C at night. We usually have one week in January where you might get -20C at night with daytime highs of -10C but that is rare and getting even more rare as time goes on.

Have heard it will be an el nino year and that is supposed to keep temperatures warmer than normal.
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Winterizing 5th wheel

Unread postby Finlay on Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:48 am

Thanks RonJK you have been very helpful, Happy Travelling :D
Finlay

Return to General RV Discussion