Skip to content

Change font size

$600 brake job. Ugh!

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

$600 brake job. Ugh!

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:23 am

I blew a rear brake line on my 3500 last week. I can't say I didn't expect it to happen sooner or later since I knew the brake lines were getting pretty rusty, but I was hoping it would have been later then sooner.

The shop finally got around to looking into things yesterday and it was good and bad news.. Some of the lines I thought were OK were rusted beyond safe limits, and yet almost all of the really expensive lines (including the flex lines) turned out to be OK when I had worries that a few of them would need to be replaced as well.

Thankfully all the bleeders came open with no problems at all (whew!) so no new calipers or wheel cylinders will be needed.

In the end, $500 to $600 for all the lines, and labour, with labour being the biggest part of the bill since many of the replacement lines need to be fabricated by hand.

I guess in the end I'm almost glad it happened now as opposed to sometime this summer while decending a huge grade coming out of Yellowstone, or in the Rockies in BC, but repair bills like that suck none the less.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: $600 brake job. Ugh!

Unread postby Zinger on Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:56 am

6oo alot cheaper than a new vehicle at least now you are safe .
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby skipnchar on Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:57 am

Had a little brake problem myself last fall while traveling along the "Skyline Drive" in Shenandoah National Park. Before we left on the trip with the truck getting up there in miles, I took it to my local Ford dealer to have the oil changed for the trip. I usually do this myself but decided to have it done so they could perform their "magical 32 point" (or however many points it is), Inspection. At 85,000 miles and with the original brake pads I was concerned about them. I even told them that I was concerned about brakes because I was leaving on a 15,000 miles extended trip next week.

When they called me to tell me to pick up the truck with nothing else being done I was a little surprised but just went in and paid the bill. So now, fast forward to the Skyline Drive and I'm coming down a 06% grade with the trailer in tow and we pull into a turn out to enjoy the view of the valley below. Hit the brakes and hear a very slight GRRRINDING noise. I told DW "that CAN'T be brakes because I just had em checked. Each successive stop the grinding got worse and by the time we pulled into the campground at Loft Mountain it was hard to listen to (and feel).

When we got set up in the site I got out the bill from Ford for the oil change and the inspection and found where they'd checked a box next to brakes that said "Customer declined brakes" which floored me because it was not only untrue, it was the REASON they'd been given the job in the first place.

it cost me almost $500.00 for new pads and two new rotors at a Charlottesville Va Ford dealer and resulted in a hairy hour long trip through the mountains to get there (left the trailer in camp). Near as I can figure, someone was given the job of calling me and failed to do it and tried to cover their back side by checking the box.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Rough2000 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:52 pm

That's what you guys get for living up North with all that snow, ice and salt. It'll rust your tubes everytime. :D Down here if we get one inch of snow nobody moves so not much salt.
2006 Dodge Mega Cab w/ Cummins
"Real Trucks don't have Spark Plugs"
2009 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
What you said, what you thought you said and what I thought you said are THREE different things.
Rough2000
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby rumrunner on Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:06 pm

I bought a 2000 Silverado 2500 w/6.0L engine for a TV. It had just had a muffler and 2 cats replaced before I took possession. It had an awful drone when under load and I wanted to quiet it down as much as possible. It also had two broken manifold bolts (common for a 6.0), so I took it to a muffler shop to have the muffler and broken bolts replaced. Got a call last Thursday that the new muffler had really quieted the drone but both manifolds were leaking. Long story short, I decided to replace the exhaust manifolds with headers. More expensive but better for the engine considering what I use it for. So the $100 muffler job turned into ... well, I still don't know yet what it turned into. I'll find out later this coming week. I usually operate under Murphy's Laws anyway, so this comes as no great surprise. :shock:
When all else fails, read instructions.

2002 Forest River Sandpiper 30FKSS
2000 Silverado 2500 6.0L/3.73
Reese Strait-Line
Prodigy
DW
DD (Darling Dachshund)
rumrunner

Return to General RV Discussion