Skip to content

Change font size

thought to ponder

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

thought to ponder

Unread postby cougarlover on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:36 pm

Dh and I are going camping for our anniversary this weekend. After I made the reservation I got really excited. That night I couldnt hardly sleep. It got me to thinking... why do I feel like I am going to disney land every time we are set to go camping. I know I am not the only one who gets this excited so I thought I would throw it out there. Why do we get so darn excited to go camping?? I can come up with why's but nothing to explain this kind of excitement. :D

Why do YOU get so excited about camping???
Nancy
Nancy wife to Rob and mom to 3 beautiful girls
2 fur pals 4 year old Shih Tzu Dexter and recently adopted 1 year old Boxer Shreder

2007 Keystone Cougar BHS
2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500
cougarlover

Re: thought to ponder

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:47 pm

Alone time
Time with the grandkids
Birds
Water
Fishing
Campfires (though not to often in Calif, unless it's propane)
Sleeping in
Staying up late
Walking
Hiking
Seeing something besides my office
BBQ
Fresh air

Nice thought, good topic. 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby skipnchar on Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:00 pm

We've traveled either to or through every state in the lower 48 plus 4 provinces in Canada. We've towed our last three RVs for over 120,000 miles combined and many miles prior to that which were never logged anywhere. In SPITE of all that I still find myself unable to sleep the night before we leave on a trip. It's STARTING to get a little more routine though when we're just heading 20 miles down the road to a local lake but we STILL look forward to those trips. Probably would look forward to them MORE if we planned them a little more in advance but we OFTEN just decide when we get up in the morning to head for the lake for a week or so. I haven't a clue as to WHY we find it so exciting but I CAN tell you that when my Dad used to drag me out of bed at 4:00 AM so we could leave on a 2 week vacation I'd be so excited I could hardly stand it as I helped lug boxes and sacks out to pile in the trunk of their old 1948 Buick. I think somewhere deep inside me there is still that 5 year old kid leaving on an exciting trip with his parents.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby catmom on Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:07 pm

I haven't a clue as to WHY we find it so exciting but I CAN tell you that when my Dad used to drag me out of bed at 4:00 AM so we could leave on a 2 week vacation I'd be so excited I could hardly stand it as I helped lug boxes and sacks out to pile in the trunk of their old 1948 Buick. I think somewhere deep inside me there is still that 5 year old kid leaving on an exciting trip with his parents.
I suspect that's why I feel the same way. I well remember those breakfasts in our east-facing kitchen, watching the sunrise while my father got the car ready for a vacation trip. :)
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby ButteBumBob on Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:12 pm

and I thought it only happened to me.
2004 Crossroads Cruiser 29rk
2004 GMC Sierra, crewcab,SB,4x4,Duramax/Allison
1973 Seeker travel trailer (for the short trips)

ButteBumBob
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Frank Henn on Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:21 pm

Even tho it is just a week end trip it is an adventure. Neat places, and we all ways meet some neat and nice campers. We camp all year round all ways run into snowbirds in our campgrounds in the winter. They too are a nice group of people. It neve r stop with the change of the seasons here, every week is different. I thank the lord that I chose the deep South to move to and live in, and the blessing he gave me with DW.
Frank and Janet Henn
with Hoover the Wonder Dog Now introducing Rainbow the wonder puppy
2008 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL
pushing a 2005 Dodge 2500 CDT
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Zinger on Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:38 pm

cougarlover wrote:Dh and I are going camping for our anniversary this weekend. After I made the reservation I got really excited. That night I couldnt hardly sleep. It got me to thinking... why do I feel like I am going to disney land every time we are set to go camping. I know I am not the only one who gets this excited so I thought I would throw it out there. Why do we get so darn excited to go camping?? I can come up with why's but nothing to explain this kind of excitement. :D

Why do YOU get so excited about camping???
Nancy

Because its a break from the daily grind. arent you excited to get home after a long vacation? I am.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby csham on Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:47 pm

Two Words

NO WORK :D

Chris, Ruth, and our 3 girls - Samantha, Tara, and Erica
1999 Chevy Silverado Z71
2007 CrossRoads Sunset Trail ST30BH
csham

Unread postby Zinger on Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:53 pm

csham wrote:Two Words

well put plus its a chance to use that overpriced toy sitting in the back yard that you have filled with expensive gadgets.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:20 am

I get the same feeling. Maybe its because I know that I am going to have alone time without any interruptions with my wife and kids. Its a break from everyday life, & being one with nature! I am sure if I thought for a while I could come up with a lot more reasons!

Joe
2004 Fleetwood Prowler 25Z Limited Edition (Bunkhouse)
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie, 2wd, Ext.Cab, 5.9L Magnum 360
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:22 am

ponyboy1995 wrote:I get the same feeling. Maybe its because I know that I am going to have alone time without any interruptions with my wife and kids. Its a break from everyday life, & being one with nature! I am sure if I thought for a while I could come up with a lot more reasons!

Joe

Oh, just one more reason. I just love camping!

Joe
2004 Fleetwood Prowler 25Z Limited Edition (Bunkhouse)
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie, 2wd, Ext.Cab, 5.9L Magnum 360
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Cobra909 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:54 am

and...NO HONEY-DOs!
Julie & Lynn Hanks
Bailey (Cocker Spaniel)
2007 Dodge 3500 CTD QC 4x4 Laramie
2007 Crossroads Cruiser 30SK
Cobra909

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:54 am

ponyboy1995 wrote:
ponyboy1995 wrote:I get the same feeling. Maybe its because I know that I am going to have alone time without any interruptions with my wife and kids. Its a break from everyday life, & being one with nature! I am sure if I thought for a while I could come up with a lot more reasons!

Joe

Joe

That's probably the winner Joe!
Jerry & Sharon †
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby csham on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:06 am

Cobra909 wrote:

and...NO HONEY-DOs!

Now I wouldn't go that far...

get the chairs
start the fire, I'm hungry
we're out of water
i'm cold, turn on the furnace

...need I say more :o

Chris, Ruth, and our 3 girls - Samantha, Tara, and Erica
1999 Chevy Silverado Z71
2007 CrossRoads Sunset Trail ST30BH
csham

Unread postby cwit on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:52 am

There will always be honey dos at my house thats why we go camping. :mrgreen:
cwit

Unread postby graywolf67 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:44 am

ponyboy1995 wrote:

Joe

Joe

Ditto for us,cannot wait for next trip Memorial day :D
2008 Ford F250 6.4PSD Zinger ZT26RL
graywolf67
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Carolina Cruiser on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:30 pm

For us, it is knowing that I will have the rest I need and can pretty much get away from the stress and everyday junk. I do not have to worry about where I need to be at what time to do what. I only have to do what I want to do for a couple of days or a week. I get excited about the smell of bacon cooking outside in the morning, the sound of the stream rolling past, the noise of kids doing what kids are supposed to do; having fun outside, the sunsets, the birds in the morning, the new people we can meet, and the fact we don't have to be all dressed and pretty in order to do any of it. Camping is good for most of what ails us. I know that is the main reason I get so excited.
Carolina Cruiser

Unread postby cougarlover on Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:05 pm

You all just made my day. I am really touched by all of your responses. I agree with them all.
Nancy wife to Rob and mom to 3 beautiful girls
2 fur pals 4 year old Shih Tzu Dexter and recently adopted 1 year old Boxer Shreder

2007 Keystone Cougar BHS
2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500
cougarlover

Unread postby va_jay55 on Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:58 pm

I used to travel a lot in my last 2 vocations as a musician/sound tech and television audio production engineer and miss seeing the country. I have always loved traveling our highways and byways. Now we get only a few times out a year and it excites me to think we will be going places, seeing new and familiar faces, socializing with people we enjoy, setting up the trailer, hanging the awning lights, campfires, the whole RV experience.

Also, we homeschool our daughter. We make every trip a learning experience which allows me to write off the gas.

The glass is half full. :mrgreen:
Jay, Gay & the Kid Cyd . . Pics. . Gettysburg Rally 5/15-18/08 . . Elk Neck Rally 9/26-28/08
Ford E350 XLT SD . . Prodigy . . Equal-i-zer WDH . . 07 Rockwood Roo 233
va_jay55

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:56 pm

va_jay55 wrote:I used to travel a lot in my last 2 vocations as a musician/sound tech and television audio production engineer and miss seeing the country. I have always loved traveling our highways and byways. Now we get only a few times out a year and it excites me to think we will be going places, seeing new and familiar faces, socializing with people we enjoy, setting up the trailer, hanging the awning lights, campfires, the whole RV experience.

Also, we homeschool our daughter. We make every trip a learning experience which allows me to write off the gas.

The glass is half full. :mrgreen:

That's very cool! Nice to turn camping into a learning experience too.
Jerry & Sharon †
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:06 pm

It is just plain fun, I don't need any other reason although I found myself relating to many of the previous reasons given. I just love to go camping.
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby JQSpree on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:42 pm

Good topic Nan. Great responses. I have to get Darlene to read this. I hadn't really thought about it much yet. When we first camped as young family, it was only vacation we could afford. We have always liked to travel and see new things. Now, Darlene had been getting used to nice hotels and cruises and wasn't sure she was completely sold on buying a tt. But we did and I hope we will both enjoy it equally.

So far with the new trailer, it has been lots of work and worry that we don't do something wrong or stupid. We are learning and as soon as some if it becomes automatic, we will have more time to enjoy.

This weekend was back to Bodega Bay, CA ocean area at the Casini Ranch Family CG. Very nice, lots of room, quiet, will go back. On way down, we got call from my son to see if we had invited them? We said sure, but they came without tent, crib for small one, etc. We made due with what we had and except for Darlene being up and down during the night with the little one, it worked out fine. But the next day, she said it was not peaceful or restful!!!! Our grandson got his 1st camping trip, camp fire, ocean beach and sand, and that was worth it all.

Gas was $4.06 a gallon there but we had great time.
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby crazyaboutcampin on Thu May 01, 2008 9:25 am

Great thread!!

I also get real excited about camping trips. I have always contributed it to such a short season here. My camper is now ready to go but has not been used for 7 months. I always thought if it was a year round activity it wouldn't be so fun. But from reading the posts from folks who live where they can camp all year blows my theory out the window.

We usually make one out of state trip per year and the rest is fairly local. We are hoping to go to the Oregon Coast this Fall.
S&S on a Dodge dually 4X4
crazyaboutcampin

Return to General RV Discussion