Skip to content

Change font size

No Overnight Parking

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

No Overnight Parking

Unread postby RonJK on Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:29 pm

Over the last few weekends we have travelled to different cities and towns in our motor home and we have noticed that more and more towns are stopping overnight parking in Walmarts and other areas.
If you are travelling and looking for a quick overnight stop over, they are forcing RV'ers into expensive private parks that range from $30-$70 per night in the summer months. Also, with the high cost of land and a lot of parks selling out to development it is sometimes impossible to find a site if you do not reserve in advance. If you can't stay overnight in the parking lot, what do you do?
Most cities and towns have empty lots and land that they are not using at all. Why not use those lots for overnight parking for travelling RV's and charge a reasonable $10-$15 per night. As most RV's are self contained they would not even have to put in services, but just utilize the bare land and create some income from it. Most RV'ers would have no problem paying this reasonable fee for secure overnight parking.
This will keep RV'ers in your town (where they will shop, eat and buy gas) and support the local merchants.
Just my opinion.....
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No Overnight Parking

Unread postby Long Shot on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:39 pm

Hey RonJK,

A couple of comments on your post. Yes, Walmarts are posting no overnight parking, etc...but in my town (Belleville, ON) they are not enforcing it at all (the signs have been up for at least a year). I am a bit of an insider around there (I do not work for WM but hard to explain in a public forum) and think this is all just a liability exercise. RV's and transports are still doing what they have done for years, staying there overnight. I know most of us are responsible and clean up after ourselves but there seems to be an ever increasing population of people that believe there Mom will be around later to pick up after them and that, my friend, is what is causing problems. I also witnessed an RV from QC that pulled up right over a drain basin at a WM in Cobourg, ON, opened their grey water drain, dumped and presumably had a couple of showers before they moved on - all in broad daylight during business hours! An old adage, a few spoil it for the many.

As far as vacant town owned lots go, same things apply - liability, garbage, illegal dumping of holding tanks. But here in little old Belleville there is a particular pet peeve - they just spent $11M down at the waterfront harbour doing remedial work and fixing it all up for the boaters including new dockage, access roads, parking lots (all new pavement) but - no RV dump installed. The only place I know of in this town to dump tanks is at a storage lot owned by a local RV dealer which is not real easy to get to and is $15. Hard to believe.

Jeff B
Long Shot

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:57 pm

There are lots of municipal councillors who think that if you have the money to buy that rig, you have lots to go to where you overnight.

I wouldn't think you'd get very far with the vacant lots idea either. If someone wants to run a business, they want to make money.

Two angles on where to dump.
1. talk to those who run the local visitors centre. Would they put in a dump for a small fee? I know there is a free one at the visitors centre in Corner Brook, NL (given that I worked there for 24.5 years).
2. This worked in off season. I went hunting for a place to buy using my truck camper and my porta potty. I went to the city water plant and asked about water safety and what to do. "Go over to our XX building and speak to Mr. YY. He'll show you the proper drain here."

Next angle for true overnighting. NO ONE CAN EVER STOP you. If you're too sleepy to drive, you're too sleepy to drive. This week, I wound up too late to find a cg. I tried one gas station, then one rest stop next to the highway, At each one, I tried to sleep and couldn't. Moved on, tried the next one. Finally, at the last rest stop in Quebec, I caught 1/2 hour of real zzzzzzzzzzzz. Then moved on. Early enough or whatever, maybe caught an all night Timmies and had brekky. Snoozed about 20 minutes at my seat in the place. Then drove. felt sleepy. Pulled over. Got another 20 minutes. 10:30 went into a gas station eatery and they had lunch menu items ready. I had asked was told it was too early. & said I had brekky before 6 am. & you can expect me to snooze too. I did. Again a few k's down the road, I had to pull over and snooze. & so it went. No cops pulled over to check on me.

{{BTW chewing gum helps me to stay awake.}}

I think I have another guide. If the place has big rigs, transports parked there, it's safe for little trucks like me.

8-)
p.s. I don't let municipal coucillors know my views on overnight parking. You , see my line of work needs municipal $ to be able to give decent service. All of which is fact, and in support of all with reason to keep online names only online.
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby shunpiker on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:49 am

We came up with another solution: Invitations to park on property owned by fellow RVers. http://www.boondockerswelcome.com
shunpiker

Unread postby RonJK on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:03 am

I have checked out the site and it looks interesting.

Seems to be a bit of a novel concept and a good idea.
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby frank on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:45 am

Hey RonjK
Well we have another Belleville man here Welcome to the Form Yes everyone including truckers Park at Walmart here in Belleville and when I'm on my way down south in the winter I see all kinds of RV parked in WalmartIt happens everywhere all that work Ron you were talking about down At the waterfront is right Where I live you Would be surprised on how many RV park down there at night how they found out about that is beyond me there was one of their this morning a class a and as far as dump stations that I know is the flying J In Nappanee

well that's about it it's good to see things are happening here everyone take care safe travels talk with everyone later
frank

Return to General RV Discussion