Skip to content

Change font size

Campground noise - is any too much?

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Campground noise - is any too much?

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:51 pm

I'm involved in a thread over at the other forum where people are talking about bringing their Radio Controlled toys (cars, trucks, planes, boats, etc) with them camping.

One person indicated in the thread that he would find it terribly annoying if he had to listen to an electric RC car in the campground. Now, I can understand perhaps (after a period of time) being annoyed if someone was continually running a nitromethane (real engine) powered RC toy as they can admittedly be a bit on the loud raspy side, but really...an electric?

What is an "acceptable" amount of noise in a campground? Clearly there are some who think that even the rustling of the leaves in the wind is too much, then there's the people who don't mind much except for noisy generators, and there are others who just kinda go with the flow and don't let much at all bother them.

This is typical "daytime" type noise we are talking about, not evening/overnight times. Yes, we've all dealt with the rowdy neighbor who is still whooping it up at midnight, but I'm talking "mid afternoon" when people are out and about.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Campground noise - is any too much?

Unread postby jp rver on Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:56 pm

In the middle of the day, an electric RC car or plane would not bother me in the least. I enjoy the sounds of kids (and adults :lol: ) playing. The only noise I find truly offensive is a constantly barking dog. Not the occasional "woof" but a nonstop "yap yap yap" of a dog left unattended, or just not made to quiet down.

However, when quiet time starts, I like it quiet.
Last edited by jp rver on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby mikhen on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:02 pm

During the day it wouldn't bother me. There is a CG near here that has a RC track that is set away from the sites. They even have night races there and the sound is minimal.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby skipnchar on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:40 pm

Unfortunately there are those who find squeaky shoes while climbing your steps an annoyance. Camping is NOT supposed to be like a visit to a library and if that's the expectations I can show them some places where they can come CLOSE. Some of those pesky crickets and birds can get awfully annoying though so even THEN they may have noise issues :D

I agree about the continual barking for no apparent reason but sounds of kids playing, motors on boats, cars, motorcycles, that's just part of living. How ANYONE can be singularly offended by children's laughter is beyond me. Campgrounds SHOULD be filled with that kind of noise (in my opinion). If we have and EXPECT "quite hours" then the fact that we have "NON QUITE HOURS" is assumed in the campground rules.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby lynlou14760 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:48 pm

The campground we use is pretty quiet, which is why we choose to camp there. There's another campground a ways down the road that is known for its "party people." I've never been there - and will never go - because of numerous stories I've heard about the drunken antics of its patrons.

Don't get me wrong, "my" campground is plenty noisy during the day with kids running all over, dogs barking, radios playing, and people coming and going. No one seems to mind any of this - to an extent. The noise curfew starts at 10:00 p.m. and is enforced pretty good. Other than that, unless someone is literally blasting a stereo at full volume, let them be.
Lynn & Louie McClure
2003 Chevy Duramax Crew Cab; 2008 Sierra 335QBQ
2 Golden Retrievers (who culdn't retrieve thier own food dish!)
lynlou14760

Unread postby Cobra909 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:31 pm

Our local CG sounds alot like Louie's. Walk around during the day and you'll hear every kind of music there is, kids up/down the road on bicycles, trucks putting boats in/pulling boats out, etc. Quiet time is also at 10:00pm.
Last year we stayed at a CG in Kemah,TX, this "resident" camper decides to fire up his Harley 2 nights in a row at 11:00pm; and doesn't just fire it up. No, no, he's got to rack the throttle a few times before he leaves. Was waiting up for him the 3rd night, but he never came out. :evil: Guess he had to go to work the next morning. :lol:
Julie & Lynn Hanks
Bailey (Cocker Spaniel)
2007 Dodge 3500 CTD QC 4x4 Laramie
2007 Crossroads Cruiser 30SK
Cobra909

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:42 pm

I too like the sounds of family camping. Gas powered would be a bummer, but electric would be fine by me.
Live and let live is what I say, as long as it settles down by 10ish. 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:20 pm

I have 2 kids so I have no problem with noise from children playing and the noises that go with that. I love to hear my kids and other kid laughing and playing. However, I do make sure that if they are still up when quiet hour starts that they quiet down and obey the rules. They are usually in bed or heading that way by quiet hour. I wouldn't mind the sound of electric RC or even a couple of rounds of a gas, but the gas would get annoying after a while.
Last weekend we were at a state park about 2 hours away and we had the wildest group there. They were hooten and holloring until 3am both nights. We were several campsites away so it wasn't so bad for us, but our friends were in a pop-up and right next door to them and they said it was terrible. That kind of stuff is just disrespectful.

Joe
2004 Fleetwood Prowler 25Z Limited Edition (Bunkhouse)
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie, 2wd, Ext.Cab, 5.9L Magnum 360
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:36 am

Anything except barking dogs and endless loud music are OK with me. After quiet time I expect it to be quiet.
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby Mikey on Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:07 am

It's the loud music that gets me. I'm not a music fan, so it's few and far between that I'll have a radio on if I'm not in the car. So having music blaring at a camp fire isn't something I normally do. That being said, it annoys me when people turn their music up so they can hear it over their voices, which they've also raised to get over the music. They don't even appreciate how loud the music is due to the acoustics and it bouncing around. It's nice to have quiet time though, and if these sounds were really that troubling to me, I wouldn't bother camping at a CG but instead go somewhere empty. That hasn't happened.
2008 Amerilite 23bw
Towed by a Silverado 2500 HD.
Other toys:CBR1100XX,EX500 ImageImage

Speed doesn't kill. Your wife finding out you got a ticket, does.
Mikey
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby ReedMan on Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:43 am

I agree with the barking dogs being a nusance. I try to stay as far away from the pet sites as possible. Besides that, pet people can be just plain weird.

I did have an incident where people were getting drunk all night and keeping us up. The next morning I was making breakfast and this toothless wonder stumbled out of a tent and started yelling at me for taking her "Withskey Thour" (Whiskey Sour). Needless to say, they were asked to pack up and leave.
ReedMan, Wife, 3 Kids
TT - 2002 Flagstaff 25LB (Triple Bunks!)
TV - 2001 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3/3.73 Stepside
ReedMan

Unread postby cwit on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:19 am

When we go camping we like watching the kids play . I dislike outside radios in a campsite, it just seems everyone is hard of hearing. You go camping for piece and quite and most campsite rules stear you in this direction. Most sites I have been in enforce the reduced noise rules anyways. Boy am I ready' let's go camping.
cwit

Unread postby Rough2000 on Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:05 am

No problem with the noise of the electrics, and kids enjoying play. I would question the safety if they start using the campground roads to race the cars. I would hate to have my "Ram" win the law of physics with a RC car. :lol:
Last edited by Rough2000 on Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2006 Dodge Mega Cab w/ Cummins
"Real Trucks don't have Spark Plugs"
2009 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
What you said, what you thought you said and what I thought you said are THREE different things.
Rough2000
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby jp rver on Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:35 am

ReedMan wrote:I agree with the barking dogs being a nusance. I try to stay as far away from the pet sites as possible. Besides that, pet people can be just plain weird.

Boy isn't that the truth! I got into a debate a few months ago on the "other" site about pets and children. Some of those folks try to place their animals on a higher level than children. When I pointed out my kids don't walk over and poop on their campsite, or run over and hump their leg, they usually had no response.

We have a pet, and we love him, but he is a dog. My kids simply mean more to me than the dog, but some of those "pet people" can't seem to understand that.

When at the campground, we use a bark controlling collar to keep him quiet when out doors. We trained with it, and he usually does pretty good without it now, but on occasion he still gets riled up and if he realizes he can bark and the collar isn't there to correct him, we have to put it back on. Once it is on, he stays quiet. We always remove at night and any time barking isn't a problem.
Last edited by jp rver on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:23 pm

I agree, pet people can be odd.
I respect others and keep my dogs under control.
They are not allowed to walk over and poop where they want and when they do poop I always clean it up, nor do I let them bark at will.
One of the first things I do when we get set up is walk around our site and clean up after the last people....paper, cig butts, bottle caps you name it.
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby antiqfreq on Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:25 pm

I travel with ONE little doggie - and I DO clean up after her.

Even though we have no kids that travel with us we do travel with friends with 2 kids.

No problem with others children - as long as they aren't riding their bikes through my campsite.

Please NO constantly barking dogs - an occasional bark is expected and in ALL Florida State Parks pets are now allowed.

I had a problem recently where our camping neighbors were playing loud music - not even in my language - and they would NOT shut it off even at quiet time. One camper was thrown out of the park by the police because he just didn't get it!

Families with children and other with pets can ALL coincide as long as consideration for the other person is on the menu.

Jo
2007 Keystone Cougar 291RLS
2003 F250 - 7.3 diesel baby !
antiqfreq

Unread postby BAJA X on Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:25 pm

During the day we don't mind it to be noisy most campgrounds are but when the sun goes down thats when its nice to be able to sit around the fire and have a peaceful evening. I'm one of those people that have and will run rc cars but again only during the afternoon and if someone asks to stop I will. But then again we usually only stay at CG that allow atvs so the noise is always there.
2008 F-350 V-10 Crew Cab Lariat S/Duty 4X4
2008 XT30SB CrossRoads CrossForce
2004 DS650 Baja x
2004 Outlander 400XT
1989 H.D. Springer Softail
BAJA X

Unread postby cougarlover on Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:28 pm

fla-gypsy wrote:Anything except barking dogs and endless loud music are OK with me. After quiet time I expect it to be quiet.

My thoughts exactly. It drives me crazy when people just let their dogs bark and bark.

nancy
Nancy wife to Rob and mom to 3 beautiful girls
2 fur pals 4 year old Shih Tzu Dexter and recently adopted 1 year old Boxer Shreder

2007 Keystone Cougar BHS
2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500
cougarlover

Unread postby catmom on Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:31 pm

I'm a light sleeper, so noise after quiet hours is annoying to me. We have a white noise machine and will also run a fan if the temperature warrants. We also have been sleeping under tentage, having had a popup or hybrid for the last 20 years. Daytime, I don't mind children playing, occasional dog barking, QUIET radios, and the other usual noise that goes on in any busy neighborhood. I do not like the undending dog barking (which I will admit we've encountered only rarely) or the much more common LOUD radios - no matter the type of music. (Though it's more often than not hip-hop or acid rock, both of which are definitely not in my top 10 musical favorites.) We both groan when we see 2+ cars of young adults arrive at one campsite and proceed to leave all their car doors (and the trunk, if applicable) open with car stereo blasting while they set up camp, which often includes unloading about 5 cases of beer, because we know what's coming - louder and louder and LOUDER until they totally crash at 4 AM. State parks in our area - at least in Wisconsin, where alcohol is allowed in CGs (sure, where do they make beer? ;) ) - tend to be less concerned with campground noise than private parks are, and frequently seem much more worried about whether all vehicles have all wheels on the gravel pad and not oozing over into the grass. If people want to listen to music loudly, why can't they stay home? We come to CGs to get away from phones, TV, radios (at least in the past we have carried only a NOAA weather radio with us), etc. and to listen to the wind in the trees, birds singing, etc. Just my 2 cents. I rarely confront anyone, though, unless they are being truly obnoxious - extremely loud music or (drunken) talking & laughing after about midnight, or extremely foul language. Even then, I try to look like a miserable victim ;) and try to remain polite and calm. Most times it works. Sometimes it does not.

OK, I vented. :)
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby crazyaboutcampin on Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:17 pm

I have had many good experiences at campgrounds but the 3-4 ruined by drunks has truned me off to them. I will stay in a CG when there is no other alternative. Therefore I boondock where any noise is acceptable as long as it is made by me. :mrgreen:
S&S on a Dodge dually 4X4
crazyaboutcampin

Unread postby LA_Bolt_Fan on Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:16 am

I believe I am in the minority here, but I DO like kids and dogs. My problem in CG's is that about 1% of campers know the "END" of quiet time. 10 pm to 8 am, the kids usually start screaming at 6 am which I believe is the equivalent of staying loud until midnight. I really haven't had to deal with the constant yap yapper, usually it's the neighbors dog that barks and lunges at me when I move around in my site, but I can deal with that. So my answer is that the only noise that really bugs me is the kids that wake up and scream way too early.

Camp on!!
Backpacking one weekend, RV'ing the next!!
2007 Thor Summit 22rb
2000 Dodge Ram Van 2500 5.2L / 3.92 Gear
1 Beautiful Wife and 2 Happy Traveling Iguanas
San Diego SUPER Charger Fan
LA_Bolt_Fan

Unread postby Limey on Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:38 am

LA_Bolt_Fan wrote:I believe I am in the minority here, but I DO like kids and dogs. My problem in CG's is that about 1% of campers know the "END" of quiet time. 10 pm to 8 am, the kids usually start screaming at 6 am which I believe is the equivalent of staying loud until midnight. I really haven't had to deal with the constant yap yapper, usually it's the neighbors dog that barks and lunges at me when I move around in my site, but I can deal with that. So my answer is that the only noise that really bugs me is the kids that wake up and scream way too early.

Camp on!!

I agree - I have always had more annoyance from noisy kids than from dogs, and from folks who will not tone it down at quiet time. Good example was last Saturday night - we were suprised at how many folks at the campround had dogs - we have four (yes I'm one of those odd people referred to in an earlier post who camps with dogs and consider them my children) - and never a bark out of any of them. However the folks next to us kept it goin until midnight with bongo drums and guitar playing (it was actually quite good, but we were trying to sleep!). Plus they had four kids who were playing loud music and shouting while holed up in the camper in the next site. I was already in a bad humour when the propane gave out at 4am!

Having said that - do I let it spoil my camping - no. It takes all sorts to make a world and I'm sure I do some things that really annoy others, so we should all just get along!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ReedMan on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:57 am

Good point Limey. There are polite people and rude people. It is the rude people who ruin it for others. I absolutley hate to get mad or upset when I am on vacation so most things I let slide.

In the few instances where there was a problem, all it took was a "hey buddy, can you keep it down a little" or "Is your dog ok? It has been barking all day." Kindness and tact usually pay off in dividends.

Now that Wthiskey Thour lady was in a class all by herself...
ReedMan, Wife, 3 Kids
TT - 2002 Flagstaff 25LB (Triple Bunks!)
TV - 2001 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3/3.73 Stepside
ReedMan

Unread postby csham on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:09 am

I can deal with the noise during the daytime, with three kids, we are making some of it ourselves. In PA state parks, they are just beginning to allow dogs and only in certain sections. I try to stay away from those sections of the park when I can, not because of noise, but the mess that some inconsiderates leave behind when the dog takes care of business. As far as drunks, alcohol is not permitted ;) . Quiet time is usually pretty quiet. I did have an occasion to watch a park ranger throw out a group that set off fire crackers (also illegal) after quiet time. It was about 11:00 and the ranger stood there while they packed their tents into the cars and then escorted them out, probably with a nice fine attached.

Chris, Ruth, and our 3 girls - Samantha, Tara, and Erica
1999 Chevy Silverado Z71
2007 CrossRoads Sunset Trail ST30BH
csham

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:57 pm

ponyboy1995 wrote:Last weekend we were at a state park about 2 hours away and we had the wildest group there. They were hooten and holloring until 3am both nights. We were several campsites away so it wasn't so bad for us, but our friends were in a pop-up and right next door to them and they said it was terrible. That kind of stuff is just disrespectful.

Joe

Opposite situation here - Provincially run parks are the ones with the best (and strictly enforced) rules - I've personally seen entire groups evicted at midnight before because they continually disrespected the 11PM quiet time rule even after several warnings.

However, many of the private parks seem to put the money in their pockets ahead of the pleasure of other campers who are there for a camping experience, not a rowdy party all night long.

Many provincial parks in Ontario have gone so far as to institute even "Radio free" sections - no outside radios allowed (it's nice not having to listen to the death metal the camper 20 sites away has chosen to bestow upon the entire campground) and if you have the radio on inside your rig it must be at such a volume that it cannot be heard outside your RV.

I agree that general campground noise is to be expected for the most part (although the constantly barking dogs would annoy me too) but it's simply not realistic to expect silence IMHO.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Zinger on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:59 pm

i dont think the noise bothers me as much as the attitude of the people making it if they dont realize it thats fine but if they just dont care that is annoying constantly barking dogs should be sent home we all know dogs bark but constantly isnt acceptable.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby jp rver on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:29 pm

PrivatePilot wrote:
ponyboy1995 wrote:Last weekend we were at a state park about 2 hours away and we had the wildest group there. They were hooten and holloring until 3am both nights. We were several campsites away so it wasn't so bad for us, but our friends were in a pop-up and right next door to them and they said it was terrible. That kind of stuff is just disrespectful.

Joe

Opposite situation here - Provincially run parks are the ones with the best (and strictly enforced) rules - I've personally seen entire groups evicted at midnight before because they continually disrespected the 11PM quiet time rule even after several warnings.

Missouri State Parks are also pretty strict on the enforcement of rules. Repeated quiet hours violations will get you and your group escorted from the park. Our quiet time is from 10 pm to 6 am.
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby rmw1990 on Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:50 pm

We stay mostly at COE and state parks and we haven't had any noise problems to speak of, other than Grackles which is kinda hard to do anything about. :lol: In one state park we had a couple of overzealous hosts. We continued doing what we were doing but, it was a little unnerving to be cooking breakfast have someone stop and just sit and watch or walk around your site without saying anything. We would speak and they would speak back and just sit there watching. Maybe we should have invited them to eat??? Our luck they wouldn't have liked grits.
We also RV at the Ag Center in Perry several times a year and everyone is in very close proximity. This past February when we were there my oldest DS and his friend came into the trailer and said they had just seen the world's largest game of hide and seek. 30 kids were playing and I did not hear anything! I sure hope they found everybody! :shock:
I do not like listening to a radio or TV while outside. I'd rather listen to the Grackles and boat motors. I do not mind others listening to theirs and really don't mind if I can hear it a little but, I don't think I would want to have to shout to be heard over someone else's music.
2000 F250 4X4 CC 7.3PSD
2007 Jayco Jayflight 28RBS
DH & 2 DSs and 1 Minnie Doxie (Lexa)
rmw1990

Unread postby skipnchar on Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:55 pm

OK I gotta ask....what is a "Grackle" and why are they so noisy? :D I figure they must be some kind of bird.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby va_jay55 on Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Ok, let me preface this with a little history. Prior to my current life, which started in 1995, I toured as a musician (drummer) and sound engineer since 1974. During this time, mostly in the 80s and first half of the 90s, I was a freelance audio tech for sports television production doing a lot of auto racing. Lots of NASCAR. I have had a few lifetimes of NOIZE.

One of the things I like about camping, even before getting an RV, is the "quiet" aspects. Of course, I do not mind a few barks every now and then, but, incessant barking, big dog or yappy little type, bugs the heck out of me. The laughter of children, as well as adults, is delightful. I do draw the line at the extremely blasting, overly LOUD music. Yes, even a musician, who played everything from country to heavy metal, likes to let the ears relax. Especially after what I've put mine through. "Eh... what was that you said... Hey, can someone turn that darn ringer off?" I didn’t drive all this way, spend all this money to hear your d_mn stereo blasting louder than the average act of God.

Anyway, one of the folks we rally with is into electric RC planes. They are barely noticeable when he flies them. We have seen a few folks using the gas model cars and planes, and, I usually grab my daughter and say, "Let's go see." I'm not really fond of loud motorcycles, especially Harleys and the like. The worst times are when they have to rev the straight piped engines DOZENS of times before motoring on. I guess it feels good down below... if you know what I mean. ;)

Now, the rallies we've attended had some pretty good parties, such as last year's Elk Neck. We were careful to keep ourselves within the rules and only about 3 other campers in the CG were not with the rally, so, we didn't get any complaints. We invited them to join us as well. The park rangers drove through a few times and only called me down once as I forgot to put my beer in a cup. :oops: All in all, we didn't piss anybody off and everyone had a good time.

So far, I haven't been annoyed so much that I had to say anything to anybody. I agree with what someone said earlier about it being a time to have fun and not let something like this trouble you to the point of it ruining the experience. I hope we don't have a time when someone else is inconsiderate and I hope someone lets me know if I'm being inconsiderate. I believe everyone should be able to go to any CG and have a good time. The key words here are “Be considerate to others.”

Peace and may the Force be with you. Live long and prosper. Now you know where my head is at. :mrgreen:
Jay, Gay & the Kid Cyd . . Pics. . Gettysburg Rally 5/15-18/08 . . Elk Neck Rally 9/26-28/08
Ford E350 XLT SD . . Prodigy . . Equal-i-zer WDH . . 07 Rockwood Roo 233
va_jay55

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:02 pm

I love listening to Gordon Lightfoot ,Roy Orbison & Neil Diamond.Nobody will hear mine & i sure don't want to hear theirs. I have a ZERO tolorance for RAP!
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby catmom on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:38 pm

what is a "Grackle" and why are they so noisy?

Grackles are largish black birds (smaller than a crow but larger than a robin) who flock in the fall, and are rather aggressive. They are a PITA at backyard bird feeders, as they are very fussy - and messy - eaters, spraying seed in every direction, and scaring off other birds. They do love to hear themselves talk (or yell), but not quite as much as blue jays. (Incidentally, blue jays love to scare the bejeebers out of other birds, especially at feeders. I've seen some in our yard making a perfect sound imitation of a red-tailed hawk!) Grackles aren't that talented, especially the eastern variety. Western grackles, such as the ones that live in Arizona (great-tailed grackles, I think), actually have a fairly nice song. Ours just go "GRACK" very loudly. :roll:
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby rmw1990 on Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:49 pm

Exactly catmom. They are around here near the lake and like to be really loud early in the morning and seem to be trying to out "grack" one another. I hear them occasionally around home but, mostly near the water. They have learned what a loaf of bread is too and if you leave it on the picnic table for long unattended they will help themselves. LOL
2000 F250 4X4 CC 7.3PSD
rmw1990

Unread postby skipnchar on Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:02 pm

Hummm... they sound a lot like Brewers Blackbirds we have around here. Nasty mannered breed of birds with a song like a hack saw on sheet metal :o

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby va_jay55 on Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:36 pm

MCBOWERS wrote:I love listening to Gordon Lightfoot ,Roy Orbison & Neil Diamond.Nobody will hear mine & i sure don't want to hear theirs. I have a ZERO tolorance for RAP!

I'll listen to Gordon Lightfoot ,Roy Orbison & Neil Diamond with you anytime. The 50s and 60s. I also like Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, Andy Williams, and many more for that past era. Grew up with it all. The Big Band sound. Early R&R. I love all of it. You know why.... TALENT.

I don't consider RAP as music. Anybody can talk over canned music. Taking someone elses music, sampling it, bastardizing it, making it repeat and talking rhyming crap... I mean rap, NO TALENT INVOLVED. Anybody can do it. The genre they call rap over the past 20 years proves it. Everybody and their mother raps. You should see the list of "Rap Artisits" that don't make it.

Playing a real instrument and/or SINGING, now that's talent.

JMHO ..... Rant over.

I'm gonna go hug a tree now. :mrgreen:
Jay, Gay & the Kid Cyd . . Pics. . Gettysburg Rally 5/15-18/08 . . Elk Neck Rally 9/26-28/08
Ford E350 XLT SD . . Prodigy . . Equal-i-zer WDH . . 07 Rockwood Roo 233
va_jay55

Unread postby catmom on Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:40 pm

Back (briefly) to the subtopic of grackles - yes, they are a bit similar to the Brewers blackbirds. I think grackles are a bit bigger.

And I agree on rap not being "music". It's rhythm, but that's it. Some of the rhyming can be clever (not all of us can do that), but that's about all I'll give it.

Of course, that makes me sound like my mother, who pronounced emphatically in the mid-60s that she couldn't understand how I could stand to listen to "that NOISE" (i.e. the Beatles, Beach Boys, etc.) "All you can hear is the beat," she said.

To each generation their own music. Or what passes for it. :)
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby waflhtirider on Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:32 pm

Going camping (rving) around here means families with kids. Kids like to have fun. Kids make noise when having fun. As long as the adults keep an eye on the kids, and they are not rude or disrespectful to anyone let them have fun. When quiet time comes the kids need to understand the noise stops. Thats is how my folks taught me.
Ryan(W7SFO), Beth & Alyssa. Pierce County WA State
Nights Camping in 2009 24
http://www.myspace.com/waflhtirider
2008 Dodge RAM 3500 Long Box 4WD Quad Cab 6.7L CTD 6 Speed Auto
2006 Carriage Cameo LXI 35KS3 5th Wheel
waflhtirider

Unread postby rmw1990 on Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:01 am

I have two teenagers and I enjoy hearing kids playing too. It always makes me smile to hear kids laughing and having a good time. The only thing I can't stand is someone SCREAMING like something has ahold of 'em when they are playing! It puts me in that "Mother" mode and makes me want to run and see what in the world is wrong.
When we were kids and in the campground our parents taught us that after dark we were to be quiet and I mean very quiet. My Dad wanted us to act like we were in church and that is how we have taught our own kids. And NO screaming no matter what time of day.
2000 F250 4X4 CC 7.3PSD
rmw1990

Unread postby Zinger on Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:23 pm

rmw1990 wrote:I have two teenagers and I enjoy hearing kids playing too. It always makes me smile to hear kids laughing and having a good time. The only thing I can't stand is someone SCREAMING like something has ahold of 'em when they are playing! It puts me in that "Mother" mode and makes me want to run and see what in the world is wrong.
When we were kids and in the campground our parents taught us that after dark we were to be quiet and I mean very quiet. My Dad wanted us to act like we were in church and that is how we have taught our own kids. And NO screaming no matter what time of day.

I agree screaming should be reserved for emergencies only.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby campinfan on Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:57 pm

I like some peace and quiet but I realize when I am camping in a private CG and the sites are close that I am going to hear a lot of noise. Thats ok. Where we go, once it gets to be dusk, they announce that all bikes, scooters, rollerblades etc are to be back at your campsite. Never had a problem with blasting music. I like the sounds of kids having fun but once its is dark, I like it quieter.
2007 Crossroads Cruiser CT32SB
2008 F 250 Super Crew FX4, V10 4.10 Tow Command Package
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii12 ... 311412.jpg
campinfan

Unread postby JQSpree on Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:04 pm

Wow, noise and birds, where to start? My wife and I tend to camp alone and enjoy the quiet and natural sounds. Which is why we are still getting used to rv parks. Kids playing, people talking and even music at a decent(low) level is fine in daytime and until about 8 or so. We tend to go to bed earlier when camping as we get up at first light and after a while around the campfire, are beat!!!

This last weekend, we saw some people (a family or two) with a 40" TV outside with surround sound as well as an offsetting proper redneck site playing their country music fairly loud. But about 10pm, it quieted down. Thankfully, they were not next to us in the full hookup area but in the partial or dry spots which are separated.

My son was a dj for 15yrs and we have been envolved in music programs since they were in 4th grade, but just not used to having to have loud music with camping. As someone said, it might have to do with beer and the ages. We play music for us to enjoy not entertain the neighbors!!! As Jay said, he doesn't have to worry as he probably can't hear it anyway after being in the business all those years.
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Return to General RV Discussion