Skip to content

Change font size

The one Favorite Modification you cant do without

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

The one Favorite Modification you cant do without

Unread postby Zinger on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:47 pm

I really like the power tongue jack!
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: The one Favorite Modification you cant do without

Unread postby skipnchar on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:55 pm

I guess I'd have to call the upgrade of the day/night shades to mini blinds with drapes on travis rods one of our favorites. Does a lot better job of heat insulation. That would be the wifes choice anyway.

For me it's the duel 6 volt batteries for dry camping. We do that MOST of the time and this gives us the power to make it convenient.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby mikhen on Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:18 am

That's a tough one. Either the power tongue jack, the slide topper, the special hose I had made up for my grill, or the relocation and change to an electronic T-stat.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby skipnchar on Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:46 pm

A GOOD mod doesn't always have to be anything complicated to be VERY USEFUL. This one has drastically cut down on my clothing budget :D

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby milzat on Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:30 pm

I second the Tongue Jack as my favorite. :D
Me and the Wife
milzat

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:52 pm

Powered tongue jack and Reese HP Dual Cam

2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby mountainman on Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:14 pm

I recently replaced the OEM hitch on my 2005 2500HD mainly because it was almost impossible to transfer weight from the rear to the front end with the OEM hitch. My TT is not heavy so I wasn't really worried about hitch failure but more about proper setup. I installed a Putnam XDR and I can already tell the difference in the way the TV reacts. I intend to take it to the scales when I get everything lined up ready to go on my first trip of the year which will be soon. I have the weights from the OEM hitch up so will mimic that load and see how I fare.
Attachments
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg
Last edited by mountainman on Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a Journey and only you hold the map!
mountainman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Fire Instructor on Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:59 pm

Mine was adding new shower-curtain track that allowed me to shower without being stuck to and wrapped up in the shower curtain! Other than that, the electric tongue-jack, the Tornado Flush, installing an Extend-a-stay, moving the TP holder, so that it wasn't "in the way, the drop-in shelf between the dinette seats, against the wall, where e put all the "stuff" that accumulates on the table when we want to set the table for a meal), all the custom shelving... the list goes on!

My new TT is coming with a LARGE glass enclosed shower!!!! Plus it has an electric tongue jack, and I plan on taking the Extend-a-stay off the old trailer before I trade it in, so I guess my first mod to the new one will be either sheving or a Tornado Flush.
Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller

Fire Instructor
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Terry on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:15 pm

Really like the plexiglass on the screen door. It allows us to have the main door open with the ac on, and it is removeable for those cooler times.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:56 pm

Well I just got a new camera today and went out to give it a try in the trailer. Here's a mod that DW actually did herself on our windows. Neither of us liked the Day/Night shades that came with our trailer. They had poor thermal properties and didn't do a very good job of light blocking either. We ALSO didn't like the gaudy valances on the windows. Seems that some designers don't know when they're "finished" and just keep on adding more and more stuff. By taking down the three MAJOR Day/Night shades and replacing them with mini-blinds then putting up custom drapes, made by DW, on travis rods we improved several things at once (in our opinion anyway). Got to take down the valances, replaced the shades and the travis rods make the drapes very convenient. Photos were taken with the trailer in storage so things are just kind of a mess but you can get the idea anyway.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Zinger on Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:05 pm

very nice work.looks very professional
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Retired Phone Man on Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:34 pm

Has to be my Atwood 3500 power jack.
Retired Phone Man

Unread postby oldcampers2 on Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:36 pm

skipnchar,
I like your camper. Very pretty. Love looking at other peoples "stuff" and ideas. Ours is simular to your except we have a booth. Design and colors look much the same.
oldcampers2
camping Chi (Tia)
2001 Z71 (4x4)
2007 Wildwood RLSle
oldcampers2

Unread postby Limey on Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:45 pm

Best one for me was my JT Strongarm Stabilizers. No more movement in the trailer - zilch, nil, nada! before I used to get woken up when the dogs moved around in the back of the trailer! :P
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby oldcampers2 on Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:56 pm

Terry
I'd like to know more about this storm door mod. What thickness, where to get it, how to attach.
Thanks
oldcampers2
camping Chi (Tia)
2001 Z71 (4x4)
2007 Wildwood RLSle
oldcampers2

Unread postby oldcampers2 on Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:02 pm

skipnchar wrote:A GOOD mod doesn't always have to be anything complicated to be VERY USEFUL. This one has drastically cut down on my clothing budget :D

Not meaning to sound dumb, but what is this?
oldcampers2
camping Chi (Tia)
2001 Z71 (4x4)
2007 Wildwood RLSle
oldcampers2

Unread postby Zinger on Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:06 pm

oldcampers2 wrote:
skipnchar wrote:A GOOD mod doesn't always have to be anything complicated to be VERY USEFUL. This one has drastically cut down on my clothing budget :D

I imagine it keeps grease off your clothes an the ball from rusting.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby skipnchar on Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:15 pm

Zinger wrote:
oldcampers2 wrote:

I imagine it keeps grease off your clothes an the ball from rusting.

Yep that's it. I was ruining at least ONE pair of pants every outing before I started covering the hitch with the can. Tried the old tennis ball trick but the ball became so greasy I'd be a mess by the time I got it off. Tried a suggestion about putting a Walmart sack over it and sometimes had the same result and other times the wind from traveling would tear it up and I"d be back to square one. with the can it takes only about 2 seconds to put it on or take it off, stands AWAY from the greasy ball so it doesn't get dirty and it NEVER comes off when traveling. It has the added feature of protecting the ball from dust and dirt while running around bob tail. Nothing will damage a ball quicker than getting sand or dust in the grease. Only solution was to wipe it clean and re-grease it.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby milzat on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:03 pm

mountainman wrote:I recently replaced the OEM hitch on my 2005 2500HD mainly because it was almost impossible to transfer weight from the rear to the front end with the OEM hitch. My TT is not heavy so I wasn't really worried about hitch failure but more about proper setup. I installed a Putnam XDR and I can already tell the difference in the way the TV reacts. I intend to take it to the scales when I get everything lined up ready to go on my first trip of the year which will be soon. I have the weights from the OEM hitch up so will mimic that load and see how I fare.

mountainman,
I replaced my OEM hitch with the XDR in '06. I noticed much better handling and weight transfer right off the bat.

Question, where did you get the 7-pin holder? Is the one in your photo made especially for the GM 7-pin, or did you modify to make it fit?

Mike
Me and the Wife
milzat

Unread postby Zinger on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:11 pm

Not meaning to sound dumb, but what is this?[/quote]

I imagine it keeps grease off your clothes an the ball from rusting.[/quote]
Yep that's it. I was ruining at least ONE pair of pants every outing before I started covering the hitch with the can. Tried the old tennis ball trick but the ball became so greasy I'd be a mess by the time I got it off. Tried a suggestion about putting a Walmart sack over it and sometimes had the same result and other times the wind from traveling would tear it up and I"d be back to square one. with the can it takes only about 2 seconds to put it on or take it off, stands AWAY from the greasy ball so it doesn't get dirty and it NEVER comes off when traveling. It has the added feature of protecting the ball from dust and dirt while running around bob tail. Nothing will damage a ball quicker than getting sand or dust in the grease. Only solution was to wipe it clean and re-grease it.[/quote]

I had been told not to grease the ball is that wrong?
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby mountainman on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:18 pm

Mike:
I purchased the hitch and socket bracket from Southwest Wheel, http://www.etrailerpart.com/
The part# for the bracket was TE50-77-070 and price was $1.25. Yes I took the OEM plug out of it's bracket holder on the OEM hitch, ground off a bit of the plastic tabs, drilled 2 holes in the plastic socket and attached to the new bracket.
Wayne
mountainman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby milzat on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:30 pm

Thanks, Wayne.

All I did was tie-band the connector to the bumper with a HD tie. It stays in place pretty well, but I do want to mount it on something solid. I'll try to pick one up locally and do as you did.

:) Thanks for the info,
Mike
Me and the Wife
milzat

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:21 am

I had been told not to grease the ball is that wrong?

I'm MY opinion it is. I've actually heard of running a dry ball and having it loosen the locking nut from friction. ANY moving part should be lubricated (other than friction pads on sway control) that is. You should lube the spring bars, any place they can move, the hitch ball and with a duel cam, if the load is heavy they even recommend using a thin coating of Vaseline on the cams.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Zinger on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:12 am

Thanks it is nice to have different opinions.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Fire Instructor on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:34 am

Greg,

Every reference book that I have n RV's talks about proper lube of the hitch and ball. Even my WD hitch has pivots that are supposed to be lubed. I use a white hitch lube. You can get it brush-on at most places (including Wal*mart or anywhere else with a decent auto section), but if you look around, it's also available as a spray-on. (More expensive, harder to find, but much less messy!)

I'd go back and read what both the TT mfgr and the hitch mfgr have to say about lubrication on your specific set-up! Like I said, I've never heard of NOT lubing a hitch!
Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller

Fire Instructor
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:23 am

I use a white lithium grease but not the Reese product. Same stuff for about 25% of the cost. One of my favorite treats is pop sickles and I save the sticks in a jar. They make perfect applicators for the grease.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby mountainman on Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:55 pm

skipnchar wrote:I use a white lithium grease but not the Reese product. Same stuff for about 25% of the cost. One of my favorite treats is pop sickles and I save the sticks in a jar. They make perfect applicators for the grease.

Skip, we all have our vices, I'm hooked on ice cream cones. I'm reverting to my childhood days when my grandmother and grandfather use to take us to a crossroad store in Argo Fay, Illinois on Sat afternoon to have an ice cream cone. That probably was in the late 40's!
mountainman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:15 pm

The bigger the trailer with the more tongue weight, the more essential it is to grease the ball IMHO.

For a utility trailer with light tongue weight and only occasional use you can get away with it, but if I didn't grease the ball on my current TT with over 1000#'s of tongue weight I'd be worried about wear of the ball (and more importantly, the coupler) as well as the ball working it's way loose as Skip mentioned.

Anything with over a few hundred pounds of tongue weight and being used for long distances should be greased IMHO.

I think that there was a topic on this sometime last fall on rv.net where someone mentioned actually flat-spotting a ball on a long trip - they hadn't unhitched for the entire trip and didn't notice it until they got home.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Cobra909 on Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:18 am

oldcampers2 wrote:Terry
I'd like to know more about this storm door mod. What thickness, where to get it, how to attach.
Thanks

Our local glass shop will order tinted or untinted 1/8" Lexan, which is highly recommended over plexiglass. Plexiglass will start to haze and spiderweb with time(depending on location), while Lexan won't. Some leave the screen in place, put tape-type felt or foam seal around edge of metal frame, then mount Lexan using clasps that attach with 1 screw each. These can be pivoted so that Lexan can be removed.

Personally, I removed my screen and mounted the Lexan permanently using white Polyurethane caulking. Not too many days along the Gulf Coast comfortable enough not to need either A/C or Heat. I won't be home for another week, but I can post a pic if needed.

Terry, didn't mean to steal your thunder, but I agree that this is one of our best mods. :mrgreen:
Julie & Lynn Hanks
Bailey (Cocker Spaniel)
2007 Dodge 3500 CTD QC 4x4 Laramie
2007 Crossroads Cruiser 30SK
Cobra909

Unread postby oldcampers2 on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:55 pm

Thanks for info on the storm door. I like the idea of being able to leave the metal door open with ac or heat on. I bet you guys could help me w/equalizer/sway bar too. We will need one. Need to know what to look for. Trailer is a totat of 31' and dry weight of 5910. Seems most like Reese.
oldcampers2
camping Chi (Tia)
2001 Z71 (4x4)
2007 Wildwood RLSle
oldcampers2

Unread postby skipnchar on Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:48 pm

Reese Straight Line is a very good system. My trailer tows rock solid in all conditions I've encountered.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby BAJA X on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:56 pm

I also have to say my power jack and my 18 volt drill to lower and raise my stabilizer jacks.
2008 F-350 V-10 Crew Cab Lariat S/Duty 4X4
2008 XT30SB CrossRoads CrossForce
2004 DS650 Baja x
2004 Outlander 400XT
1989 H.D. Springer Softail
BAJA X

Unread postby campinfan on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:38 pm

A bucket of Frozen Mojitos in the freezer.
2007 Crossroads Cruiser CT32SB
2008 F 250 Super Crew FX4, V10 4.10 Tow Command Package
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii12 ... 311412.jpg
campinfan

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:47 pm

Not really a "mod" but the Equal-i-zer was best money I spent. 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby ReedMan on Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:34 am

You can't see them very well, but I made a set of wheel chocks out of a spare 4x4 and some threaded rod. Now the TT doesn't move. (Unless I try to drive away without taking them off...oooops)

The 3" lift really helps also. I don't drag the pipes anymore.

Bones
Attachments
HPIM2955.JPG
ReedMan, Wife, 3 Kids
TT - 2002 Flagstaff 25LB (Triple Bunks!)
TV - 2001 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3/3.73 Stepside
ReedMan

Unread postby 1tonmegacab on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:43 am

my new unit came with my fav mods so far

central vac
2nd bathroom
washer/dryer

i know thats three
1tonmegacab

Unread postby Carolina Cruiser on Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:07 am

This is probably not the type mod you are talking about, but so far my favorite is the mattress change out from the cheap thing the TT came with to the 8 inch memory foam Mattress. It sure helps the sleep process as well as the aches and pains we had after sleeping on the one that came in the TT.
Carolina Cruiser

Unread postby cwit on Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:38 pm

My favorate mod to our camper was the switch from 30amps to 50amps . I put 2 new outlets in one in the front of camper one in the back. This allowed me to use 2 elec. heaters this winter and dw to use elec to do a lot of her cooking.
cwit

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:13 pm

I'm sure others have done it but i've never seen it.I added a 2nd screw jack to the side of my tongue that piviots up & stores completely out of the way.If your original screw fails or bends or,if your brand new shiney electric jack fails as u demonstrate it for the 50th time,u still have a jack.
I needed mine twice last year!!!! I am a strong believer in redundant systems.
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:39 pm

Carolina Cruiser wrote:This is probably not the type mod you are talking about, but so far my favorite is the mattress change out from the cheap thing the TT came with to the 8 inch memory foam Mattress. It sure helps the sleep process as well as the aches and pains we had after sleeping on the one that came in the TT.

We did the same thing, the one came with the TT was horrible! We got a Sleep Number, just like at home....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Return to General RV Discussion