Skip to content

Change font size

Server Upgrade - COMPLETE.

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Server Upgrade - COMPLETE.

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:22 pm

Attention All Members:

Anticipated continued growth has prompted me to move the forum to a new server earlier then expected. The server space was generously donated from a fellow pilot friend (Blake Crosby) who saw my recent blog rantings about the costs of dedicated server space and then graciously offered what is really close to a dedicated server for our forum needs.

Anywhere else this sort of power would have cost me about $100 per month, necessitating translating the forum to an advertising-based layout that would have helped defray those costs. Clearly our membership has enjoyed the current (ad free) layout based on comments so far, but there is often a trade-off form many forums where the cost of maintaining sufficient server power outweighs the ability to cover the costs.

Blake's most gracious offers of a very powerful hosting platform for the forum that will suit our needs currently, and well into the future. This new server environment that will not only translate to a much more accelerated experience at this point in time (members will notice pages load much faster, and many server intensive features like image attachments will perform better and faster), but it will also make future expansion of the forum almost limitless. Whereas our current hosting platform had the potential for about 120,000 posts maximum (before space constraints began to effect us) and the ability to host about 100 members online concurrently (before server load issues effected us), the new server offers vastly more potential.

- Forums will not need to be pruned, so reference material can remain potentially forever.

- The forums search feature will be fast and reliable, making our growing references quickly searchable.

- Features such as image uploading that previously timed out should perform flawless now regardless of source image size.

- The server has the load capacity to host hundreds, or even thousands of members online concurrently with no slowdown.

- Unexpected downtime should be minimal to none thanks to Blake's background in server administration and the naturally very reliable aspect of a dedicated server.

As mentioned, this massive upgrade will not result in any new advertisements or other clutter - the changeover from our members perspective will be seamless with the exception of an estimated one hour period of downtime tomorrow evening - April 15'th. During this time the current database including all member accounts, all posts/forums, avatars, image attachments - [i]everything[/i] - will be migrated to the new server. Members need not do anything.

Once complete and the switch is thrown all members will find everything exactly as it was before, the only difference is that you may need to login again using your current username and password. Afterwards, everything will pickup exactly where it left off.

During this conversion members will probably be presented with the main forum page, but only containing a notice to the effect that the board is down for maintenance. Simply refresh the page every now and then and once you see it pop back online as normal, the transfer is complete and members are welcome to login again and continue as normal. I anticipate that the complete changeover will take approximately one hour and I plan to begin around 8PM, meaning that the forum should be back online at approximately 9PM.

Once again, a special thanks to Blake (http://fly.blakecrosby.com) for his most generous donation of our new home - this provides a bright outlook for the future of RV-forums.org.

Any questions or concerns please respond here. I will also be sending this out to all members via email this evening so that everyone is made aware, so for those who read it twice, please accept my apologies.

Thanks!
Mark
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SCHEDULED DOWNTIME TUES APR 15 (SERVER UPGRADE)

Unread postby mikhen on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:27 pm

10/4 thanx for the heads up
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby kilbrider on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:37 pm

Thanks PP and thanks to Blake for the new home base!!
Leah & Cliff ( just us)
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280WS
2015 Ford F250 XLT, 4X4
kilbrider

Unread postby cougarlover on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:03 pm

Wow we need to upgrade already... how exciting. I am so very thankful for all of your hardwork.

Nancy
Nancy wife to Rob and mom to 3 beautiful girls
2 fur pals 4 year old Shih Tzu Dexter and recently adopted 1 year old Boxer Shreder

2007 Keystone Cougar BHS
2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500
cougarlover

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:05 pm

cougarlover wrote:Wow we need to upgrade already... how exciting. I am so very thankful for all of your hardwork.

Nancy

I wouldn't say we "need" to upgrade (yet), but I don't want to be caught with our pants down and suffer any outages as a result of a lack of attention to the matter. ;)
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:19 pm

A round of applause for Blake, thank you sir.
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby Limey on Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:27 pm

Oh my gawd - down for an hour! I am going through withdrawals already! :)

Many thanks to Blake!! :mrgreen:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jp rver on Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:17 pm

Wow only a month, and already our first "growing pains". :D

Thanks so much for the warning, and great job to you and thanks to Blake for his generous offer!

You guys are doing a wonderful job!! :D
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:37 am

Outstanding PP, tell Blake many thanks! 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Re: Server Upgrade - COMPLETE.

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:57 pm

The server upgrade is now complete and went of without a hitch.

If any members notice any oddities please let me know. Nothing should be different except faster load times.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:17 pm

It is blazing fast right now.
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby jp rver on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:34 pm

I didn't even have to re log in!

I can honestly say I didn't even notice the downtime, and I have been here off and on at various times this evening. It must have been a smooth and fast transition!

Great Job!! :D
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:16 pm

It seems that some file attachments that members might have attached to posts didn't make the trip. I'm still looking into this.

The good news is that members should now be able to upload images with virtually no filesize limits - the forum now has the horsepower to easily handle the larger files and thumbnail generation behind the scenes whereas before it would often time-out.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:00 am

PrivatePilot wrote:The server upgrade is now complete and went of without a hitch.

If any members notice any oddities please let me know. Nothing should be different except faster load times.

The only oddity I noticed was Limey? j/k
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby Limey on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:46 am

The Wood Tinker wrote:
PrivatePilot wrote:The server upgrade is now complete and went of without a hitch.

The only oddity I noticed was Limey? j/k

I resemble that!! (Someone has to be the twit round 'ere!) :mrgreen:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General RV Discussion