Skip to content

Change font size

Moving battery

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Moving battery

Unread postby campinfan on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:24 pm

Took the new truck and trailer out for the first time. When the dealer mounted the saddle bracket for the draw bars, he had to move one forward a bit because the battery box gets in the way. This causes one of the chain links to hit the saddle and makes it a bear to lift it up and lock it into place. It is a divided box that holds the battery to one side or the other. I am thinking I can add a wood floor to it so both sides are level, move the battery to the middle and screw the battery box down. Anyone else have to do this? Or maybe I can find a shorter screw to bolt the saddle on. Has anyone ever screwed the saddle to the frame? Can you do this? My bracket has holes on the top and outside that looks like I could do this.
2007 Crossroads Cruiser CT32SB
2008 F 250 Super Crew FX4, V10 4.10 Tow Command Package
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii12 ... 311412.jpg
campinfan

Re: Moving battery

Unread postby skipnchar on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:24 pm

For a somewhat different reason, that's just what I did on my trailer. In order to mount my duel 6 volt batteries, located up near the very front of my trailers tongue, I had to turn them 90 degrees so the two fit side by side. The battery originally sat in a recess just large enough to hold the single battery. I filled that cavity with a 2" plank that I bolted to the frame then used wood screws to fasten duel battery boxes to the plank. From what you're suggesting you could do the same thing and if you decided at some point you needed a second battery there would probably STILL be enough room to mount a second one. It would be my preference to move the battery over drilling into the frame.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Moving battery

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:46 pm

Try and figure something out so you do not have to drill the frame....makes a weak spot for sure and that's where you NEED strength!
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Return to General RV Discussion