Skip to content

Change font size

First weekend in first RV

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

First weekend in first RV

Unread postby Mikey on Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:19 pm

I learned a few things.

1) a 2 yr old in the top bunk, when awake and bored can really rock the whole trailer when he starts swinging his legs.
2) It doesn't take much to blow through a fresh water tank with minimal use.
3) The Winegaurd Satellite dish will not get more than 14% signal doesn't matter what I do. I'll be chatting with the dealer on this one.
4) Converter, Microwave, Toasteroven will pop a 15 amp breaker.

Everything else is working fine.

It was cold. Woke up this morning to snow. Just at freezing, 0c. It warmed up fairly quick after that. Tonight is scotchgaurd night and I'm going to spray all the fabric. (found my 2 yr old can get jam on ANYTHING).

*****edited to fix spelling mistake*****
Last edited by Mikey on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Amerilite 23bw
Towed by a Silverado 2500 HD.
Other toys:CBR1100XX,EX500 ImageImage

Speed doesn't kill. Your wife finding out you got a ticket, does.
Mikey
Established Member
Established Member

Re: First weekend in first RV

Unread postby mikhen on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:03 pm

#1 I agree with. The rest I wouldn't know because I never boon docked
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:24 pm

If you and the family had fun then it was all worth it
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby Cobra909 on Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:09 pm

Congrats on your 1st trip and may many, many more follow. :D
Julie & Lynn Hanks
Bailey (Cocker Spaniel)
2007 Dodge 3500 CTD QC 4x4 Laramie
2007 Crossroads Cruiser 30SK
Cobra909

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:15 pm

Congrats on the 1st outing. Camping with kids is always fun and my camper stays rocking! Kids running back & forth.

Joe
2004 Fleetwood Prowler 25Z Limited Edition (Bunkhouse)
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie, 2wd, Ext.Cab, 5.9L Magnum 360
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby csham on Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:40 pm

Congrats on the first trip. I remember my first trip with kids. We had a popup, it was cold and rainy, and we ran out of propane so no heat. Packed up and left 2 days early.

Ahhhh...camping memories :)

Chris, Ruth, and our 3 girls - Samantha, Tara, and Erica
1999 Chevy Silverado Z71
2007 CrossRoads Sunset Trail ST30BH
csham

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:49 pm

Sounds like your first trip went pretty good. I can still remember the first time we took out our Coachmen. It was Labor day weekend so we signed up for a 3 day weekend at a local lake. Left on Thursday night and planned on staying Friday through Sunday night. Friday night was GREAT but during the night it started to rain and it poured at about an inch ever three hours and did so continually for the entire three day weekend. We stayed, watched TV and read in the trailer because it was blowing so much you couldn't even stand under the awning without getting soaked. Around noon on Sunday it started slowing down and by late afternoon the sun was out (while we rolled up our soaking wet awning and patio carpet to head home. We became very QUICKLY acquainted with the INSIDE of that trailer. From Friday afternoon on we were the only unit left in the campground.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Mikey on Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:03 pm

I'm going to stay this weekend too. See if I can get the little tyke use to the camper. It should be all fabric protected by that time. Going to have to figure out how to keep from chewing up all the fresh water. I can see how to save a bit on dish washing, but it was only myself showering and that was ON-rinse-OFF-lather-ON-rinse-OFF. Can't be much faster than that. Even brushing my teeth was the same.
2008 Amerilite 23bw

Mikey
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby jp rver on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:50 pm

csham wrote:Congrats on the first trip. I remember my first trip with kids. We had a popup, it was cold and rainy, and we ran out of propane so no heat. Packed up and left 2 days early.

Ahhhh...camping memories :)

Your story reminds me of a "no heat" situation of my own.

It wasn't our first trip, but it was our first cold weather trip in our 1999 Nomad Trailer. We settled in for the night all snug and warm with outside temps in the low 20s. Our furnace was cycling normally, and soon the wife, infant son, and I were fast asleep.

2:00 am, I awake to our young son crying. Hmmmm, it's not like him, he usually sleeps thru the nite. As soon as I crawl out from under the blankets, I realize why he is crying. The furnace is blowing COLD AIR!!!!!!!! The temp inside the trailer must have been in the 40s! That can't be!!! I know I still have a full cylinder on the trailer?! So I fire up the ceramic heater, tuck the child in next to mom to warm him up, and head out front to investigate. Sure enough, I do indeed have a full tank. After some fiddling around, I come to the conclusion that the auto switching regulator is not working, so I have to swap tanks. The regulator wouldn't switch manually either, so I had to physically remove the empty tank, and swap in the full tank in its place. Ordinarily this is an easy job, but under the bright moonlight of a 17 degree night with it seems to take forever!!!!!! I get the tank swapped out, get the furnace going again, and we all get back to sleep.

Upon returning home, my dealer swaps out my regulator for free, and we have no other issues with the replacement.
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:47 pm

Mikey wrote:I'm going to stay this weekend too. See if I can get the little tyke use to the camper. It should be all fabric protected by that time. Going to have to figure out how to keep from chewing up all the fresh water. I can see how to save a bit on dish washing, but it was only myself showering and that was ON-rinse-OFF-lather-ON-rinse-OFF. Can't be much faster than that. Even brushing my teeth was the same.

You really have to watch the little things when surviving on tanks alone - rinsing dishes should only take a small layer of water in the sink (no running the water constantly and rinsing every dish seperately), etc etc.

You also need to watch the kids like hawks - my kids easily used a few gallons of water just washing their hands in the beginning, so I quickly needed to teach them how to conserve by just putting a bit of water in the sink and using that instead of running the water.

Make sure you leave the water pump turned off when not using water as small kids have a way of sneaking off and "playing" in the bathroom when you don't notice. That'll be hard on the water.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby skipnchar on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:09 pm

Just to show RV manufacturers have a sense of humor....Forest River provided me with 90 gallons of waste water capacity and 36 gallons of fresh water capacity. When dry camping I usually carry at least 5 plastic 6 gallon water jugs for additional fresh water. Saves having to pull out to find a fresh water source often. We can manage for about 4 or 5 days on a tank fill up with careful use and the extra 30 gallons comes in quite handy for extending it to about a week. By then we need to dump the waste tanks anyway and it's time to start over again.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Mikey on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:12 pm

Yes, I have a dry weekend planned at the end of the summer with a buddy of mine. We were going to bring extra fresh water, then someone suggested I wouldn't need it. After this weekend and running low on water in 2 days, I'll be bringing the extra water. I just don't dry camp enough to have water conservation come naturally and I don't want to pay for my lack of experience by smelling like old socks.
2008 Amerilite 23bw

Mikey
Established Member
Established Member

Return to General RV Discussion