Skip to content

Change font size

Spare tire....do you carry ?

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Spare tire....do you carry ?

Unread postby pwall on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:10 am

Ok, question of the day, do you carry 1 or 2 spare tires for your trailer ?

Last week, I left Ottawa to travel back to Newfoundland for a few weeks. I wasn't on the highway for 10mins and lost a tire on the trailer. I put the spare on and continued on.
Then of course, I started looking for a shop that carried a tire for the trailer....ST 20575R15. Got to Quebec and most shops were closing early due to the long weekend in Quebec. Got to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia on the Sunday.....no parts departments in the RV centres were open, and not one Canadian Tire had a tire; it would have to be ordered.
Needless to say, it wasn't until I got to Newfoundland that I found a RV Centre open and with a tire in stock.
So now I have a new spare tire....well actually 2! I'm not travelling that distance again without 2 spare tires.
Over 2000kms before I could find a replacement. Odd but true.

Food for thought.
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spare tire....do you carry ?

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:10 am

Ah yes, much like one of my best travel stories, when I was working in Newfoundland.

I'd been up the Northern Peninsula in and out of communities on the east side south of St. Anthony. A co-worker in Corner Brook needed the van the next day. @ 5:00 p.m. I started heading across the N. Pen. to the west coast and promptly had a flat. I was driving a work van and hadn't a clue about where the spare was. The work cell phone I had decided to quit. Fortunately, another driver stopped, dug out the 'donut' spare .

I then limped over to Port Saunders, where there was an Esso station. The chap running that place knew that for that time of the year, when everyone is changing from winter tires to summer tires, few stations would have the size tire I needed. He found one in Cow Head.

At Cow Head I found a local phone and called the station operator. He parked the baby with a neighbor and came down to set me up with the new tire. At 10:00 pm. I could drive.

No sooner had I gotten up to 80 km (speed limit) when up out of the ditch on my left comes Mr. Moose and turns away from me. I gots ta thank the Lord for that. Any other turn by Mr. Moose and we both would have been toast.

Now, normally, it would be 1 hour to Deer Lake, and another hour to home. Nope, I could not get the adrenalin down to trevase the winding, twisting, up hill, down dale of crossing the N. Pen. again to get to Deer Lake before midnight. & still even with a straight 100 k road, it was 1:15 a.m. before I got home.

Of course, I had to be up in time to gas up - rule of work. Bring the van back with a full tank of gas.

Yep, been there, remember it well.

:shock:
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Zinger on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:12 pm

Never thought of that but when I get new tires Ill keep them for a second or third spare better than nothing
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby mikhen on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:45 pm

Spare is mounted to the frame. I know for most trucks, there is a crank of some sort to lower the spare. On our Class C, I haven't figured out how to lower it yet. That's what roadside asistance is for. :D
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby frank on Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:28 am

I also have a spare that moment to the frame. I wouldn't be without it. And unfortunately I have had to use it :evil:
frank

Return to General RV Discussion