Skip to content

Change font size

Would you buy this?

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Would you buy this?

Unread postby mikhen on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:00 pm

Skip and Pilot, you can delete this and scold me if you wish. I'm not actually selling anything, just taking a survey.

I was approached outside Tractor Supply today and asked about the gas mileage on my truck. I gave my common answer..."I didn't buy it for gas mileage, I got it to pull my camper." The older man's face lit up twice on my response. He told me he can improve my gas mileage. Then he asked about black streaks on the camper. He then went to the truck of his car and pulled out a little spray bottle. He cleaned various parts on my truck and the mirrors. The stuff worked great. He was trying to get me to start selling the stuff, at campgrounds and elsewhere.

So I came home, tried it on the TT, worked great. Then I did some internet research, and couldn't believe all the info I found on this stuff. Tons of news reports from all over the country praising this stuff.

So the point of this post....

If you would see someone cleaning there RV at a campground, with a sign at their site stating the stuff is available for sale, Would you think about buying it? Did I mention, It's waterless. There is alot more than just the mileage improver and cleaner that they have.

Thanx all and sorry for the long post.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Re: Would you buy this?

Unread postby Mikey on Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:02 pm

Depends on the cost really.

Oh, and are you going to keep this a secret? Or are you waiting for 55 of us to say YES and then decide to take the guy up on the offer to sell it :]
2008 Amerilite 23bw
Towed by a Silverado 2500 HD.
Other toys:CBR1100XX,EX500 ImageImage

Speed doesn't kill. Your wife finding out you got a ticket, does.
Mikey
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby mikhen on Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:33 pm

Mikey wrote:Depends on the cost really.

Oh, and are you going to keep this a secret? Or are you waiting for 55 of us to say YES and then decide to take the guy up on the offer to sell it :]

I have to sell it to the DW first. That's gonna be the toughest sale of all.

mikhen

Unread postby skipnchar on Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:25 pm

This isn't perhaps another "Acetone" product is it? If I found compelling enough evidence that it worked I guess I'd buy it provided there was ALSO compelling enough evidence that it did no harm. One thing I'd have to ask myself is that if it's that great why aren't the manufacturers already using it? I'll be waiting to hear about the product but I'll be waiting with a VERY skeptical attitude...sorry / Skip
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:34 pm

It would be an interesting idea.. I'd want proof (as a fellow camper) that the stuff actually works, so be prepared to give demo's at the campsites on peoples actual RV's. Nothing will convince someone more about a products effectiveness then seeing it with their own eyes.

I'll assume it's a wax of some sort? I know that keeping your vehicle waxed *can* legitimately help with fuel milage but I'd think that the number is fairly marginal when it comes to RV's which are notoriously wind resistant to begin with, so I'd not leverage much on that fact since you'll loose alot of the natural skeptics right there.

Cosmetically, though, alot of people are willing to spend big money to be shinier or glossier then the next guy, so that could be a good selling point.

That said, dry cleaning compounds worry me since they don't take into consideration the level of dust that can be present on a vehicle to begin with. If your "dry washing" it with all that dust on it, you're grinding the dust into the paint. Typically you do get fairly dusty in a campground, so unless people wash their vehicles before hand it would be tough to use in that scenario.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby mikhen on Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:45 pm

As far as dry waxing goes, I hate that too, unless the vehicle is pretty clean and just needs a shine. The cleaner is a carnuba wax, and the better gas mileage is a capsule that goes into your fuel tank, which alot of news casts did tests on and they all work and report no damage. I'm still a bit skeptical on that though. They also had leather cleaner, wheel polish, vinyl trim restorer, etc. The cleaner/wax is what I would focus on at campgrounds, since I could give demos.
The gas caps are for sale at some stores. I've seen them already but never tried them.

Thanx for your input. I'm always looking for a way to make money.

mikhen

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:19 pm

Well, the skeptic in me instantly discounts the "gas mileage capsule" thing since, as Skip said, if it was that easy every manufacturer would sell their cars with a bucket of them in the trunk, and you'd be able to buy them at every auto store in the face of the planet.

Perhaps there's something to them, but I'd expect that people would want irrefutable proof, which in my mind would be a free sample of the product so I could test it and see for myself if it really works. If it does, then be assured that if you gave me a business card (and the fuel milage savings signifigantly outweighed the value of the product) I'd contact you to buy more.

But all that said, I find any magic MPG-increasers to be right up there with the tornado so far as reputation. Costs alot, but does nothing. :)
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:04 pm

Did I mention the lake front property I have in New Mexico.......
The old adage has proven itself time and time again....if it's to good to be....you know the rest. 8-)

I'm not even from Missouri...but you are going to have to prove it to me and my old eyes.
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby Retired Phone Man on Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:53 pm

Years ago when my Dad was a young man and a real good "Shade Tree Mechanic" he decided to try all the gadgets that claim to improve gas millage. They really worked. The only problem, he had to stop every 100 miles to EMPTY his tank. :mrgreen:
Retired Phone Man

Unread postby jp rver on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:50 am

The Wood Tinker wrote:
I'm not even from Missouri...but you are going to have to prove it to me and my old eyes.

I AM from Missouri, and I agree, you will definately have to show me how well it works!

The cleaner may be a good product, but I have extreme doubts about any capsule that helps with fuel mileage. I just don't see that happening. :D
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby mikhen on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:25 pm

I actually sold the DW on this. She loves the wax/cleaner. Never thought she'd give it a second look.

mikhen

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:17 am

There are already a dozen cleaners out there with caranuaba wax that work great, as far as mpg enhancement, nothing but snake oil.
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Return to General RV Discussion