Skip to content

Change font size

Electronic Pest Control

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Electronic Pest Control

Unread postby mikhen on Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:43 pm

Referring to those electronic boxes that plug in and are supposed to keep bugs away. Thinking of trying them in the home and RV. Any experience? Do they work? Are they safe for pets? Do they work on stinkbugs? Here in SE Pa we have a stinkbug problem. Thanx
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Re: Electronic Pest Control

Unread postby skipnchar on Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:48 pm

The ones I've seen use CO gas to first ATTRACT bugs then zap them. Though I haven't used them myself it would SEEM like a good strategy would be us give one to your neighbor :D I really can't answer your question though.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:45 pm

Mikhen,

I have a Pest Control company and I have been hired by more people that have tried to use those plug in pest control boxes then I can count. I have only had one customer that said it worked. He said it didn't work for bugs, but he said that it kept the deer out of his yard. He said that once he tunred it on he never had a deer in his yard again. You can try it, but I think you will be waisting your money. Look at it this way, if it worked like it should they wouldn't sell them for as little as they do.

The one that skipnchar is talking about w/ the CO do work on Mosquitos & gnatts. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will be more then happy to help!

Joe
2004 Fleetwood Prowler 25Z Limited Edition (Bunkhouse)
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie, 2wd, Ext.Cab, 5.9L Magnum 360
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby mikhen on Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:54 pm

Joe,
I've asked this question to almost every pest control guy I've run into. What can we do about stink bugs? I have an idea for a trap, but it will draw more in( just like Jap beetle traps do) and I have to wait till the soybean crops are ready. Any suggestion?
Thanx,
Mike

mikhen

Unread postby Zinger on Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:57 pm

othe than being clean and using moth balls what do you reccomend to keep mice out of trailers?
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby skipnchar on Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:21 pm

ponyboy1995 wrote:Mikhen,

He said it didn't work for bugs, but he said that it kept the deer out of his yard. He said that once he tunred it on he never had a deer in his yard again.

Joe

Hummm...wonder if it would work for squirrels? Those pesky little critters are EVERYWHERE in my neck of the woods and are every bit as destructive as Rats or Mice. At any given time I can look out my front door and see at least a dozen of them up and down my block. The REAL problem is they're smarter than I am and I think they're making fun of me :oops:
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby mikhen on Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:38 am

Zinger wrote:othe than being clean and using moth balls what do you reccomend to keep mice out of trailers?

Pellet gun

mikhen

Unread postby Curmudgeon on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:46 am

skipnchar wrote:Hummm...wonder if it would work for squirrels? Those pesky little critters are EVERYWHERE in my neck of the woods and are every bit as destructive as Rats or Mice.

That's because a squirrel is nothing more than a rat with a bushy tail. :mrgreen:
Curmudgeon

Unread postby Curmudgeon on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:58 am

mikhen wrote:Referring to those electronic boxes that plug in and are supposed to keep bugs away. Thinking of trying them in the home and RV. Any experience? Do they work? Are they safe for pets? Do they work on stinkbugs? Here in SE Pa we have a stinkbug problem. Thanx

The short answer is, they don't work. Here is one link to check. http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_068.html

Here's another useful link. http://www.buginfo.com/articles/ultrasonics.cfm

I believe Consumer Reports also tested them several years ago and determined the same thing.
Curmudgeon

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:04 pm

mikhen wrote:Joe,
I've asked this question to almost every pest control guy I've run into. What can we do about stink bugs? I have an idea for a trap, but it will draw more in( just like Jap beetle traps do) and I have to wait till the soybean crops are ready. Any suggestion?
Thanx,
Mike

Mike,

Controlling any kind of pest is a little more tricky in a camper then a permanent structure. One of the most effective elements of pest control is the exterior perimeter application. This is tuff to do while camping because you would have to carry a sprayable liquid insecticide and sprayer with you while camping. I say a sprayble liquid rather then a granule or an aerosol because you will get a longer residule then an aerosol and it works faster then a granule. Also, the aerosols usually smell bad and may bother other campers. The other reason this may be a problem is because some CG's may have rules against or may not be to happy about applying pesticides in your spot.
Anyway, to answer your question a good exterior application should repel most all insects. As far as the traps go, you want them to draw the insect in. With this type of trap like the Jap beetle trap and the bug zapper lights, you want to put the traps away from the structure to lure the insects away from the structure. Most people buy these traps and put them right near the structure or where they are sitting at night and wonder why insects are flying around them. Place the trap away from the structure or away from the area you don't want them.

Hope this helps,
JOE
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:40 pm

Zinger wrote:othe than being clean and using moth balls what do you reccomend to keep mice out of trailers?

Mice/Rats mainly infest when a structure in the cooler months. Early Fall - Early Spring. They also infest when a structure is empty, dirty, or easily accessible. RV's are usually empty or not used as much in the fall/winter and easily accessible for rodents. They use your RV to get out of the elements and keep warm through the cold months. They aslo use your RV to breed and raise babies. Other then the filth and potential health problems the create everyone knows the potential damage the may cause to your RV.
Rodents usually find the tread on the tire and use that to climb up and gain access to RV's.
There a couple options to keep them out. What I have done and what I recommend is:
1. Purchase wheel covers and keep them on while RV is stored. (This will make it harder for them to use the tread to gain access.
2. Go to a TSC (Tractor Supply Store), or an animal feed store (If you don't have a store like this you can search on the internet) and purhcase Exterior Rodent Bait Stations. Place 1 box against each tire on the side of the tire where you can see the lug nuts. Put the bait blocks on the scewer & lock the box. (It is always best to secure the bait station so kids or animals can't lift it or turn it over. If this happens it may knock the block out and the animal or dog may eat it. (Not Good!) I usually liquid nails them to patio blocks.) The rodents will usually go into to the box to get the food and eating the food will kill them. The rodent will also go to the box to get out of the cold.

I know this is long, but it is easier to talk about it then try to explain over the internet. Remember, when dealing with rodeticides to be careful and follow the saftey procedure above not to have secondary or accidential poisoning.

Joe
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:48 pm

skipnchar wrote:
ponyboy1995 wrote:Mikhen,

He said it didn't work for bugs, but he said that it kept the deer out of his yard. He said that once he tunred it on he never had a deer in his yard again.

Joe

Hummm...wonder if it would work for squirrels? Those pesky little critters are EVERYWHERE in my neck of the woods and are every bit as destructive as Rats or Mice. At any given time I can look out my front door and see at least a dozen of them up and down my block. The REAL problem is they're smarter than I am and I think they're making fun of me :oops:

I am not sure if this would work on squirrels or not. They do make specific ultrasonics for squirrels. There is a product called Ro-Pel. It repels animals. It is a spray. I am not sure if squirrels are on the label, but I have heard that it works on them.

Joe
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Zinger on Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:28 am

ponyboy1995 wrote:

Mice/Rats mainly infest when a structure in the cooler months. Early Fall - Early Spring. They also infest when a structure is empty, dirty, or easily accessible. RV's are usually empty or not used as much in the fall/winter and easily accessible for rodents. They use your RV to get out of the elements and keep warm through the cold months. They aslo use your RV to breed and raise babies. Other then the filth and potential health problems the create everyone knows the potential damage the may cause to your RV.
Rodents usually find the tread on the tire and use that to climb up and gain access to RV's.
There a couple options to keep them out. What I have done and what I recommend is:
1. Purchase wheel covers and keep them on while RV is stored. (This will make it harder for them to use the tread to gain access.
2. Go to a TSC (Tractor Supply Store), or an animal feed store (If you don't have a store like this you can search on the internet) and purhcase Exterior Rodent Bait Stations. Place 1 box against each tire on the side of the tire where you can see the lug nuts. Put the bait blocks on the scewer & lock the box. (It is always best to secure the bait station so kids or animals can't lift it or turn it over. If this happens it may knock the block out and the animal or dog may eat it. (Not Good!) I usually liquid nails them to patio blocks.) The rodents will usually go into to the box to get the food and eating the food will kill them. The rodent will also go to the box to get out of the cold.

I know this is long, but it is easier to talk about it then try to explain over the internet. Remember, when dealing with rodeticides to be careful and follow the saftey procedure above not to have secondary or accidential poisoning.

Joe

are you talking about one of those spring loaded tin cats? if you feed poison wont they crawl into trailer to die? just trying to get it right.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:01 pm

Greg,

You can use a tin cat or another type of muli-catch trap (wind up or whatever). What I am talking about is nothing but a bait box. They are usually black plastic with a hole on each side and a scewer in the middle to hold the bait. See the link below to view what I am talking about.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs ... ue&cFlag=1

Yes, the rodent may go into the RV and die, but if you use the wheel covers they will less likely be able to gain acess. After the first time I had rodents in my RV and my inlaws in thier RV I do this every winter and I haven't had any problems since.
The possibility of a dead rodent in the camper vs. nawed wires which could lead to fires or other problems. They only smell for a week or so! LOL!

Joe
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member

Return to General RV Discussion