Skip to content

Change font size

Parts prices / Markups

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Parts prices / Markups

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:46 pm

Am the only one who is thoroughly disgusted at the stupid markups charged by some RV dealers on parts?

Typically things cost alot more here in Canada, but the point was driven home for me today when I stopped at a local dealer to look at some new utility hatches to replace my old ones - I wanted the 10X10" electrical hatch cover (plastic with a key lock) and the much smaller fresh-water fill hatch.

The electrical cord hatch was priced at $75 (!!!) and the water fill hatch (which is only 3X3!) was $45.

Now, I know that these are probably not big sellers and that dealers need to make some profit on the items they sell (especially due to the seasonal nature of the business up here) but paying $75 for a piece of plastic with a key seems like highway robbery to me.

Anyone else find themselves frustrated with the costs of specialized RV parts?
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Parts prices / Markups

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:55 pm

It's kind of a trade standard I think. Any kind of specialty shop/dealer has outrageous prices. I had the same thing for years with Motor cycles, boats and now RVs. Anything you can purchase at any of the big box stores or auto parts is usually less costly. I'm sure you're correct about the need to finance actually stocking an item that will sell only one or two per year though. That is probably why some of the Internet places can beat the prices, because selling to a much wider customer base mitigates the problem some.

I left my range vent flap unlocked about a year ago and of course it was AOL EDIT; guess I meant AWL here LOL once we pulled into the next campsite. Stopped at a Camping World to replace it and while the price itself wasn't that bad, I had to buy the whole assembly instead of just the flapper. Guess i was lucky they didn't make me buy the range too :D
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Retired Phone Man on Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:43 am

I don't feel so bad now. Lost my flapper somewhere in New Mexico last Oct. :mrgreen:
Retired Phone Man

Unread postby Limey on Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:56 am

Yes, I hate getting ripped too...

DW saw a cool looking Thule garbage can/sack thingy at an RV show and had to have one. The bag/frame etc was $36 Garbage Sack ; the pack of two brackets to fix to the rig (probably worth about $3) Brackets was about another $30. (and then I only needed one of them!)

$66 for a garbage bag - sheesh!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Carolina Cruiser on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:24 am

I agree with the fact that everyone needs to make money to stay in business, but some businesses seem to be trying to help the owner retire rich much faster. I blame the internet for making lots of smarter. Before we just paid whaever price was there. Now we can shop online and wow lots of things are much cheaper than they are locally. I try my best to support the local business economy, but if I tell them that I can save this percentage (usually more than 10%) and they say they cant touch it, then I'm sorry but I have to look after my finances as well.
Carolina Cruiser

Unread postby wintek on Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:16 am

I needed a new foot for my AE 8500 Awning. Marks RV had one for $5.95. I figured I would give my local guy the business thinking even if they doubled the price, I would still be ok. Well they did not have one in stock so he said he would order. A couple of weeks later I went by to pick up. $15.00 for part & $15.00 for shipping. That told me they do not want my parts business.
wintek
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Mikey on Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:55 am

Yes, 30 bucks for a 3 dollar item. They really do their best to make up for the limited business they get, but that only limits their business more.

I know you should support your local businesses, and I will when the prices is only slightly higher. But if I'm paying 40% more then forget it, you KNOW it's in their markup. I was privy to the cost sheet at a local RV place (no doubt by accident) and I had a quick look at items they were selling for 45 bucks was costing them 17. But of course, I can see that if you don't have high volume you need to make up the difference somewhere but once again, it can be self sacrificing.
2008 Amerilite 23bw
Towed by a Silverado 2500 HD.
Other toys:CBR1100XX,EX500 ImageImage

Speed doesn't kill. Your wife finding out you got a ticket, does.
Mikey
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:01 pm

I went to yet another RV dealer today (the benefit of driving for a living is that I pass lots of places like this everyday..heh) and I found the access doors I wanted for somewhat less, but still $55 and $30 respectively.

I looked on eBay tonight and found the EXACT same hatch as the one the local dealer wants $75 for...listed for $5.00.

This tells me that the wholesale cost is probably a few dollars, and the markup is simply through the roof. Now, I know the local dealer paid to have this item shipped to him and all that, but it probabl came as part of an overall larger shipment, and shipping charges are part of doing business. Does that mean that that $3 hatch should now sell for $75?

It's situations like this that are driving more and more people to the online marketplace. I just recently order a new awning fabric for our TT online and saved over 50% of what it would have cost me here.

It's sad that I cannot support our local dealers, but if "supporting" and "being screwed" go hand in hand, then I'll take my business elsewhere.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:31 am

I hate being ripped, I wait for our yearly RV show if I can, on the last day they are giving stuff away lol. I use JCW or CW for most everything else.
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Return to General RV Discussion