Skip to content

Change font size

floorplans are changing

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

floorplans are changing

Unread postby jp rver on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:31 am

I have been browsing the internet this evening, looking at different manufacturers and their available floorplans, and have come to the conclusion that small TTs and 5ers just aren't as readily available as they were 5 to 10 years ago. My late uncle bought a small Skyline Nomad 5th wheel back in 1997 and towed it with a 1/2 ton Ford with the old 300 inline six cylinder! It was a very small 5th, and it was a good match for his small truck. He and his wife thouroughly enjoyed that little 5th for 5 years. Now, I can't fine one like it offered by any of the three manufacturers I have been browsing this evening. Small TTs the same way, there are still some, but not as many as there used to be.

Why is that? I would think that with fuel prices being what they are, smaller units would sell better. Anyone have any ideas, or can anyone point me to a manufacturer who still offers a great selection of small 5th wheels and travel trailers (not super small like the Tabs and Casitas)?
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: floorplans are changing

Unread postby Cobra909 on Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:05 am

Sorry, can't help with your search. But, remember that the fuel prices have just gotten totally ridiculous in the last year (really the last 6 mths.)...I'd think that most of the plans were already laid out and approved. Will maybe see a trend in the next year or so with smaller floor plans returning. Guess time will tell.
Julie & Lynn Hanks
Bailey (Cocker Spaniel)
2007 Dodge 3500 CTD QC 4x4 Laramie
2007 Crossroads Cruiser 30SK
Cobra909

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:55 am

I think that as far as small travel trailers are concerned the movement in the light weight range has been to hybrids that still provide a lot of room inside but are light enough to be towed easily by smaller tow vehicles. Rockwood still makes some smaller units in their Ultra Light line but the smallest is a 23 footer that is 7.5 feet wide. In their expandable (hybrid) line they offer quite small trailers.

As for the small 5th wheels, I've actually seen a 5th wheel version of the Casita which is like a toaster on wheels with the bed area added on. Again, the Rockwood/Flagstaff line has a few models of 5th wheel that are 27 feet long but they're almost as heavy as their 30 foot models. They ARE marketed as half ton towable and they ARE half ton towable but certainly not by ALL half tons.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby LA_Bolt_Fan on Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:08 pm

Mine is pretty small, good for us since I am always outside anyways.
Attachments
untitled.jpg
Backpacking one weekend, RV'ing the next!!
2007 Thor Summit 22rb
2000 Dodge Ram Van 2500 5.2L / 3.92 Gear
1 Beautiful Wife and 2 Happy Traveling Iguanas
San Diego SUPER Charger Fan
LA_Bolt_Fan

Unread postby Zinger on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:21 pm

I would think the changes would reflect what we the consumers are asking for.?
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby jp rver on Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:32 pm

Zinger wrote:I would think the changes would reflect what we the consumers are asking for.?

While that is true, "we the consumers" are now, just recently, facing surging fuel prices that make these big, multiple slideout RVs seem perhaps a bit overkill for the average weekender with a couple kids. I know for certain, I could get by with a smaller TT, (would still have a popup if the wife would allow it). I am just saying that I was surprised when I was browsing the manufacturers' websites and floorplans and could find a very limited selection of small 19 to 23 ft TTs, and virtually zero smaller fifth wheel trailers. I have a Skyline Nomad floorplan book here at the house from 1999, the year we bought our first new trailer, and it has a great selection of smaller TTs and fivers. Now those floorplans are gone. I hope they make a comeback, but time will tell.
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby jp rver on Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:39 pm

LA_Bolt_Fan wrote:Mine is pretty small, good for us since I am always outside anyways.

Yep, that's the type of floorplan I am talking about. There used to be a bigger variety of those smaller floorplans, but not these days.

I saw a floorplan similar to yours, except the bed changed into a sofa. I would really like to see one of those in person.
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:30 pm

Tango has a couple of smaller floor plans, I asked them about it and they said people were asking for smaller TT and they want to provide them. Some of them are pretty nice. I know others are following too. R-Vision has a whole new line of smaller units.
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:31 pm

jp rver wrote:
LA_Bolt_Fan wrote:Mine is pretty small, good for us since I am always outside anyways.

Yep, that's the type of floorplan I am talking about. There used to be a bigger variety of those smaller floorplans, but not these days.

I saw a floorplan similar to yours, except the bed changed into a sofa. I would really like to see one of those in person.

Tango has one, it's pretty cool. It's really more of a 'love seat' than a sofa but it works.
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby kilbrider on Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:59 am

Crossroads has a new, superlight, small trailer out called the Sunset Trail SLS. Don't know much about it but here's the link to the floor plans http://www.crossroadsrv.com/line/fp.asp?line=sls
Leah & Cliff ( just us)
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280WS
2015 Ford F250 XLT, 4X4
kilbrider

Unread postby skipnchar on Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:39 pm

2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby campinfan on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:22 pm

I haven't seen any hybrid 5ers yet but if they are not here, I bet they will be. We had a hybrid after our pup. It was a 19'er and it ws nice while we had one child but with no slide and bad weather, it got cramped. It also seemed to rain every time I tore down camp so I had to set it back up at home.
2007 Crossroads Cruiser CT32SB
2008 F 250 Super Crew FX4, V10 4.10 Tow Command Package
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii12 ... 311412.jpg
campinfan

Unread postby Zinger on Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:34 am

campinfan wrote:I haven't seen any hybrid 5ers yet but if they are not here, I bet they will be. We had a hybrid after our pup. It was a 19'er and it ws nice while we had one child but with no slide and bad weather, it got cramped. It also seemed to rain every time I tore down camp so I had to set it back up at home.

The rain is th only reason I didnt want a hybrid that is part of the reason we moved away from the pup.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby campinfan on Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:25 pm

We started with a pup, then a hybrid, then a bunkhouse and now a Cruiser bunkhouse.

It seems in the last few years , I am seeing more plans for bunkhouse styles. For us, they are great because of the kids. And our new one has a door between the kids bedroom and the living room area and then we have door too, not a curtain---yeehaaa.
2007 Crossroads Cruiser CT32SB
2008 F 250 Super Crew FX4, V10 4.10 Tow Command Package
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii12 ... 311412.jpg
campinfan

Unread postby Zinger on Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:49 pm

We should be insisting that TV manufacturers improve MPG so we dont have downsize. I have to believe the technology is there.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to General RV Discussion