Skip to content

Change font size

My first drycamping is going to be end of this year,...

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

My first drycamping is going to be end of this year,...

Unread postby Mikey on Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:55 pm

Please help me feel confident!

I am bringing my TT down to Indianapolis to go to a MotoGP weekend. So I'll be there Friday night, Saturday night. 3 or 4 days total, probably 2 or 3 nights.

It has a 30 g fresh water tank (but the towing vehicle will have 100g fresh water tank brought along). I have an 80gallon waste tank (so the brochure states).

I'm thinking of renting a generator as we'd want to relax and watch tv and stuff. It has two LP tanks, that should hold for 3 days of fridge, cooking and possible heater use, no?

We are bringing a BBQ, and there is a portapotty (hopefully reasonably close). So I'm planning on skimping on the water use, but I do wish to be comfy.

So what will it cost to rent a quiet 3500w generator for the weekend do you think? And am I missing anything else? There is just two of us in the trailer for the weekend, but we like technology, so we'll have the internet going, watching satellite tv when the race isn't on, etc.
2008 Amerilite 23bw
Towed by a Silverado 2500 HD.
Other toys:CBR1100XX,EX500 ImageImage

Speed doesn't kill. Your wife finding out you got a ticket, does.
Mikey
Established Member
Established Member

Re: My first drycamping is going to be end of this year,...

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:58 pm

You'll do just fine. Most big events like this have honeywagons and fresh water supplies available, at a cost, so even if you fill your holding tanks (which I wouldn't see as possible unless you all plan on showering excessively) you would be OK. Even with using the shower and washing dishes, etc, you should still be OK with that much water handy.

There will be no need whatsoever to feel obligated to use porta-potties - your toilet drains into a seperate blackwater tank that you would find almost impossible to fill over the period of 4 to 5 days. Typically at events like this the porta potties quickly become disgusting, so you'll appreciate your TT's bathroom even more.

Generator use is all but expected at events like this. If your going to rent, try to avoid the contractor-grade models as even though generators are expected, the contractor-grade ones really crackle under load and can be annoying. That aside, for what your going to pay in rental fees you could probably pay for a good portion of a popular generator like the Champion 3000 and then it's yours to keep.

Your propane tanks will more then cover just about any use you could possibly throw at them for that short of a time and I'd be surprised if you even used one tank, nevermind both. The fridge uses very little propane (leave it on LP all weekend, don't bother switching it over to the genny even when it's running), and your next biggest consumers (in order of draw) will be the stove, hot water, and furnace.

I rented my old 21'TT to a guy who went to a country music jamboree last summer and he survived on 30g of water and one 20# tank of propane for the entire 5 days, and that was with two of them using the trailer, including 2 (quick) showers each over the 5 days.

Typically the first thing you'll exhaust is your batteries, which is where the generator comes in.

Have fun!
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Zinger on Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:52 pm

Mikey wrote:Please help me feel confident!

I am bringing my TT down to Indianapolis to go to a MotoGP weekend. So I'll be there Friday night, Saturday night. 3 or 4 days total, probably 2 or 3 nights.

It has a 30 g fresh water tank (but the towing vehicle will have 100g fresh water tank brought along). I have an 80gallon waste tank (so the brochure states).

I'm thinking of renting a generator as we'd want to relax and watch tv and stuff. It has two LP tanks, that should hold for 3 days of fridge, cooking and possible heater use, no?

We are bringing a BBQ, and there is a portapotty (hopefully reasonably close). So I'm planning on skimping on the water use, but I do wish to be comfy.

So what will it cost to rent a quiet 3500w generator for the weekend do you think? And am I missing anything else? There is just two of us in the trailer for the weekend, but we like technology, so we'll have the internet going, watching satellite tv when the race isn't on, etc.

I would look into a small inverter 300w to run tv at night so you dont have to listen to gen run or go out and put it away.
I have a 5 gal Kerosene jug (sturdier than most h2o jugs and has spout) I use if I need to get more water .
Make sure you keep the gen under lock and key when not around or sleeping. You can buy a kipor for around $1300.00 I have this one and love it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kipor-30 ... enameZWDVW
The gas will run the fridge for a month without issues. dont worry have fun.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Fire Instructor on Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:18 pm

If your black and grey tanks are about the same size, and if you are a typical camper, you'll fill your grey tank 2 or 3 times faster than your black. What I do on NA$CAR weekends (3 or 4 days of doondocking) is limit the water going into the grey tank to shower water only. We picked-up two plastic dish basins that fit inside the sink, and after washing dishes (or brushing teeth) they get dumped down the toilet.

I've seen folks in VERY REMOTE boondocking situations dump grey water into a small dug pit. Illegal in many places, improper in others, but if you were tent camping with a solar shower, where would your shower water go? Onto the ground... If you were remote tent-camping and you had to do dishes, where would your dirty dishwater go? Onto the ground... IMHO, it would be criminal to do that with a black water tank, but under the proper situation with grey water, that's another thing entirely.

I don't know about your Moto event, but at NA$CAR, and other such BIG venues that draw lots of campers, they ususlly have a "honey wagon" servive that will come around and pump you out. I've seen them charge $30-$45 for such service, but for maney, it's worth it. When we were leaving New Hampshire International in 2006 on Monday morning, they had about 6 honey wagons lined-up in a lot. You pulled up, gave the attendent your $30, then just pulled up to the next open spot. I pumped my tanks down, before proceded to the Maine coast for the rest of the week's vacation...

They also have water delivery trucks that will fill you at a moninal cost per gallon, but I typically carry two 5-gallon jugs which I use to fetch water as needed.
Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller

Fire Instructor
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Fire Instructor on Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:30 pm

BTW - Throw a chain and lock around your propane tanks if your unit is going to be unattended for any length of time at such an event... Hungrey folks, who have run out of propane, will do desparate things. In Dover last year, two spots down from us, they took a full tank and left the empty behind!
Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller

Fire Instructor
Established Member
Established Member

Return to General RV Discussion